The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    hammin'

Push/Pull disparity?

I've never really thought much of it, but I'm MUCH stronger in 'equivalent' pulling exercises than I am in pushing ones.

For example, I can barbell row about 205 for a set of 3, but I can barely bench press 165 for a set of 3. I deadlift 345 x 2, but struggle to squat 275 x 2. Now I guess that's the way it should be... but I can't help but feel that I should be keeping the pushing exercises closer to the pulls.

Is my CNS ****ed, or am I just a pussy?
    They say that when your ships comes in
    The first man takes the sails
    Second takes the afterdeck
    The third: the planks and rails.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Do you have long arms? Thin build? I do, and I have similar imbalances. (Plus I exercise pulling muscles more frequently, I suppose.)

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

hammin'
    I'm not thin by any stretch of the imagination, but I am 6'1" with rather long arms and long legs as well.
    They say that when your ships comes in
    The first man takes the sails
    Second takes the afterdeck
    The third: the planks and rails.

Well, accept that you bench will never be super high and just tell people about your deads. It's what I do.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Its about the naked thing! FireBug's Avatar
    I dont think i has anything to do with your build, a vast majority of people with have a higher pull then push.

Now, there are people out there that have a close pull to push ratio, but i image they have worked to get closer to that range.

Just my 2cents

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    Do you have long arms? Thin build? I do, and I have similar imbalances. (Plus I exercise pulling muscles more frequently, I suppose.)

All muscles pull, there are no pushing muscles, from a technical point of view, of course. The push/pull system is just a way to simplify and catagorize bodybuilding movements.

Quote Originally Posted by cronin50
    All muscles pull, there are no pushing muscles, from a technical point of view, of course. The push/pull system is just a way to simplify and catagorize bodybuilding movements.
    No, muscles contract, period. They don't "pull." They can extend or flex a joint. Yes, I was using push/pull as a functional description of muscle groups. What's the big deal? We all get this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    No, muscles contract, period. They don't "pull." They can extend or flex a joint. Yes, I was using push/pull as a functional description of muscle groups. What's the big deal? We all get this.

No big deal, just stating something that a novice may not know. One should understand how muscles work if he is going to try to properly develope them. You are correct, at their cellular level muscles do contract, at a skeletal level they do indeed pull, from the muscles point of origin to the point of insertion. This is what causes the joint[s] to extend or flex. I wasn't questioning your knowledge, sorry if it came across like that. It is obvious from reading your posts that you know what you are talking about. Lack of knowledge of this simple fact causes many people to overtrain because they inadvertently train a bodypart 3 or 4 times a week without even realizing it. Peace.

No problem, peace pro. Glad to hear we agree!

Arm length relative to your body definitely is a huge factor. There aren't many world class benchers that have long arms. They will hinder your bench press, but aid in the deadlift. Since in one case your ROM is increased, and the latter, it is decreased.

Depeding on form, it's also a lot easier to cheat on pulling motions than pushing motions, since you can jerk, or lean back away from the lift, building a lot of momentum. For example, rows or pulldowns, where you can pretty much throw your lower back to help jerk the weight down.
    Last edited by ElPietro; 02-02-2005 at 08:45 AM.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer