Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Planning a little trip to Vancouver, BC......suggestions?

Planning a little trip to Vancouver, BC......suggestions?

I'm going there for 3 days & 2 nights next week, I'll probably be staying at the Barclay Hotel, which is right in the middle of downtown.

I haven't been up there in a few years, I'd like to get some recommendations from you Canucks for any places I should go to, restaurants, tourist crap, etc.

Oh, and I'll have the g/f with me.
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

Bulking Sith Knight Stephen Riddington's Avatar
    There's lots of Vancouverites on this board. There's lots of things to do in Van City. Unfortunately I haven't been there too many times to help you.
    You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'-Homer Simpson
    My brother always said that drowning in beer would be like heaven. Well, my brother's not here and I have two soakers... This sucks!!!-Bob McKenzie
    Hockey is murder on ice-Jim Murray
    Give a guy a gun, he thinks he's Superman. Give him two and he thinks he's God.-Superintendent Pang (Hard Boiled)

I'm of no help either. Perhaps you should PM Maki?
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

What kind of food do you like, and what kind of 'tourist' things were you interested in doing?
    "The only sin which we never forgive in each other is difference of opinion."
    -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Word.

Rasta - I like all kinds of food, and I'd be interested in not exactly tourist stuff but more like popular places where locals hang out: Clubs/Bars/Parks/Theaters, etc.

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

Training for the Bahamas
    BC bud

Yeah, watch out because you'll be in Mystic Eric's neighborhood Patty.
    "you are like my yoda." - chops

"you are not like yoda at all!" - chops

"shh...I'm only gay for pay" - ECTX

"no matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max" - bIgHwN86

My Journal

For cheap beer and good food try the Rugby club. It's downtown and it's always busy.
    I'm not much of an information source but if you need some help just pm me.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

The Rugby Club is a good bet, the place is pretty happenin right now. Being Irish, you could also check out Blarney Stone, which isn't really a happenin place anymore but was pretty good a couple years ago. Might still be a good time. For food there are just a ton of great Sushi, Thai, Malaysian, etc restaurants in Vancouver. Gimme an idea about your budget and I can recommend some particular restaurants.

This site lists nightclubs in vancouver. http://www.clubvibes.com/nightlife/index.asp?city=1 If any look interesting, just ask and I'll tell you more about it. I don't club much anymore, but I'm still out there once in awhile and know what kinda crowds each usually attracts. You can always PM me too Patty.
    -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Word.

Heres some restaurant info bud:

http://www.tourismvancouver.com/dining/dineout.cfm
    -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Word.

Pop over to Vancouver Island and check out Victoria.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rdkraus
    Pop over to Vancouver Island and check out Victoria.
    Why? He's only here for a couple of days. There's sooooooooooo much more to do in Vancouver. Victoria is pretty nice, but it's a retirement city...the nightlife is fairly pathetic.

Check out Stanley Park and Granville Island, they're pretty cool.

Well I'm definitely going to check out Gastown & Granville street, I'll be spending most of my time in Downtown.

TTT - Stanley park, eh? I'll remember that.

Rasta - lots of good info, thanks bro.

Maki - Rugby Club is on the list now, thanks.

And make sure you get to lifting!

Me /pwn1ng by Xian Rookie's journal Rookie's Picture Thread

Damn right you will be! We don't mess around down here. Liquor and Steel, that's what we're all about -Casey

ROFL, oh man - I usually wait until I'm on the freeway to do that. What an idiot! -teufy doing what he does best.

You aren't strong enough or pretty enough to train in the evenings with us...better stick to noon workouts with the rest of the geriatrics. - pup

Yeah. I'm a dork. - Teufy

Better yet, "why should anyone's interpretation of divinity govern modern society?" - Twilo

Quote Originally Posted by Vido
    Why? He's only here for a couple of days. There's sooooooooooo much more to do in Vancouver. Victoria is pretty nice, but it's a retirement city...the nightlife is fairly pathetic.
    Good points. I just know my wife and I were there with
    our kids about ten years ago and all have a great
    memory of that trip. Had a relatively inexpensive
    room right on the bay, overlooking the water, could
    look out our window and watch the sailboats and
    sea planes landing, then go out past the Empress Hotel
    and onto the area by the water to enjoy the magicians
    and other street performers. Also some good sights and
    restauants and shopping (if you're into that, I'm not).

But I agree Vancouver itself has plenty to do.

rdkraus - Victoria is really nice, but that's a trip in itself/

Rookie - I'm only going to be up there 2 days & 2 nights, so I'll just lift before I leave & when I get back.

Banned
    make sure you drop by Brandi's (on Hornby Street); you can also stop by the Swedish Touch (one floor below Brandi's in the same building) for a relaxing 'massage'.

Quote Originally Posted by Callahan
    make sure you drop by Brandi's (on Hornby Street); you can also stop by the Swedish Touch (one floor below Brandi's in the same building) for a relaxing 'massage'.
    Well judging from their website: http://www.brandislounge.com/ I don't think it's a place I should take my girlfriend, although she's a Licenced Massage Practitioner

I'll check out Brandi's next time I fly solo

If you like upscale bars I've heard AuBar on Seymour and Bar None on Hamilton are pretty good. can't back that up with anything though. Never been to either.

The Caprice is on Granville it isn't too bad.

The pub around the corner from the Blarney Stone is decent for cheap alcohol.. Forget what its called though... 5th Street Pub or something.
    Last edited by Lox; 01-30-2005 at 07:37 PM.
    Maybe I was big in a past life...

Yeah I've heard Bar None is Jumpin' on Fridays and Saturdays. I'm going to be there Monday night and tuesday, so most clubs won't be too crowded wherever I go.

Thanks for all the responses guys, I've got a list of places to go now that'll probably take up most of my time there.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Patrick
    Well judging from their website: http://www.brandislounge.com/ I don't think it's a place I should take my girlfriend, although she's a Licenced Massage Practitioner

I'll check out Brandi's next time I fly solo
    come on man, don't be so suburban!

I 2nd the bc bud.
    -deFenDeRs oF thE unDerRateD

If it doesnt make dollars, then it doesnt make sense

I never knew how skinny I was untill I started gaining a little weight

For nightclubs, and considering you are Irish, I would check out The Cellar. On Seymour Street I think. $8 bucks cover. Big dance floor, good mix of tunes and a FULL Irish Bar upstairs! I loved it.

Something to do with your gf during the day. Go check out Science World near False Creek, and see an OMNI Max show.
    Man, if he do but live within the light of high endeavors, daily spreads abroad his being armed with strength that cannot fail.

--Wordsworth

If you have some extra money to burn and would like to score some points with the lady, take her to North Vancouver and take the Gandola up Grouse Mountain. There you can have a nice romantic dinner at the Observatory and see the city lights from the top of the mountain. I should mention though that the ride is about $20 per person to go up/down and dinner is about $20-30 per entree. With wine, dessert etc, you're looking at $200 bones easily.

I haven't had the chance to take my wife up there for dinner but I've been up there and it's absolutely beautiful! Here's the site.

http://www.grousemountain.com/
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo