The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

The Animal

My current upper body routine, good or bad ?

This is my current chest/arm routine, i do this every 3rd day.

All of the below are done in first set - 12, second set - 8 and third set 6

Bench
    Incline bench
    Incline dumbells
    Decline Bench
    Decline Dumbells
    Flies
    Cable Cross over
    Tricep rope pull-down
    Tricep V-bar pull-down
    Tricep nose-breakers
    Tricep dumbell ( behind head )
    Dumbell curl
    S-bar Curl
    S-bar front curl

That is day 1.. day 2 i do Shoulders/leg and day 3 I do back.. than go back to the above routine.

But i am looking to make my chest and arms outragiously huge.. and was told that lower reps on heavier weights with some rest between exercises works optimal for this, whereas doing fast, many reps with little rest between exercises tones arms but acturally makes them smaller.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Lifting For Strength
    You have at least 6-7 too many exercises.

cut block extraordinaire
    wow that is insane. You are on a crash course for overtraining. Look at WBB1 and start from there. So many exercises is more detrimental than helpful. If you are looking to do an all upper body day look in my journal for some examples.

The Animal
    Hrmm.. i've been doing this exercise for about 5 months now.. and gone from benching max of 95, to now tested @ 245.. and gained 31lbs while losing 1 1/2 % body fat..

Given this is over-training.. what could be done differently.. and what signs do i look for that i'm over-training.. i generally go up 5lbs every week or so in all of my weights.. ( got it documented every lift )

Quote Originally Posted by xlaw42
    Hrmm.. i've been doing this exercise for about 5 months now.. and gone from benching max of 95, to now tested @ 245.. and gained 31lbs while losing 1 1/2 % body fat..

Given this is over-training.. what could be done differently.. and what signs do i look for that i'm over-training.. i generally go up 5lbs every week or so in all of my weights.. ( got it documented every lift )

How many weeks/months/years did this take (the bench increase that is). Well, the weight gain as well.

To comment on your weekly weight increases, eventually you'll plateau (rather quickly) at 5lbs a week (that's about 240 lb increase a year which is highly unlikely to happen).

Edit: answered my question, totally missed the 5 months in the first sentence...DUH!
    Last edited by Max-Mex; 02-04-2005 at 12:34 PM.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

The Animal
    I got talking with my cousin.. who i've been lifting with.. and quite frankly we dont really have the time to do the routine we've been doing.. mainly cause of schedule conflicts.. so i think this is how its gonna look.

Day 1.. Bench
    incline bench
    incline dumbell
    decline bench
    decline dumbell
    Flyies
    Cross over machine
    *Gonna add a ab workout here - Not sure what yet*

Day 2
    Rope-tricep
    V-bar tricep
    Nose-breakers
    Tricep dumbell (behind head)
    Curls
    S-bar Curls
    Front S-bar curl
    *same ab exercise insert here as above*

Day 3 Shoulder/legs

Day 4 Back

Repeat

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    I got talking with my cousin.. who i've been lifting with.. and quite frankly we dont really have the time to do the routine we've been doing.. mainly cause of schedule conflicts.. so i think this is how its gonna look.

Day 1.. Bench
    incline bench
    incline dumbell
    decline bench
    decline dumbell
    Flyies
    Cross over machine
    *Gonna add a ab workout here - Not sure what yet*

Day 2
    Rope-tricep
    V-bar tricep
    Nose-breakers
    Tricep dumbell (behind head)
    Curls
    S-bar Curls
    Front S-bar curl
    *same ab exercise insert here as above*

Day 3 Shoulder/legs

Day 4 Back

Repeat

No rest days? You are likely to destroy your shoulders on this regime. They are being used indirectly on three days and directly on one day. Plus with no rest days they are being hit every day, every workout. That is too much and sooner or later will likely lead to a severe injury.

Were I you, this is how I would schedule it.

Day one: Flat bench press. 4 sets of 4-10 (depending on your goals) Follow this with 2-4 sets of incline bench, same rep pattern as above.

Day two: Squats, leg presses, SLD's. 3 sets apiece of 8-12 reps.

Day three: Rest
    Day four: Regular deadlifts, pullups and a rowing exercise. Same set routine as for legs.

Day five: Rest

Day six: Standing barbell curls, dips, seated DB curl, pressdowns. (2 sets apiece at 6-8 reps.

Day seven: Rest.

Personally I would take out day six, but many people feel the need to hit arms directly, so there it is. Your shoulders are getting less work on this routine, plus they are getting three rest days (at least) so they should survive nicely. If you feel that you MUST train shoulders directly, put them on chest day and do no more than 2-3 sets of standing military presses.

Abs can done at the end of any two of these workouts or as you please.

cut block extraordinaire
    You are still in the beginning phase where no matter what you do you will gain, but eventually you will stop. Some signs of O/Ting are stagnant lifts, tired all the time, sick etc.

Wannabebig Member
    awsome progress pal.

youve been trianing a total of 5 months or only this routine for 5 months. Most people new to resistance training no matter ho wmuch u train do that 7 days a week and its hard to overtrain.

As you become more and more of a vetran overtraining gets easier.

It all depends on the experience you have had with the time period total of your resistance training.

The Animal
    I dont know if this makes sence.. someone mentioned it had to do something with edophins or something.. i aint quite sure.. but when i do chest/arm routine.. i feel almost drugged up happy.. its weird.. that and when i do end up going to bed.. usally around the same time as i normally would go to bed given i didnt lift.. i sleep without waking up all thoughout the night which becomes a constantl problem when i dont lift.

So i dont know.. it almost seems like its a good thing.. but would this feeling i get after not happen @ some point ?
    Last edited by xlaw42; 02-03-2005 at 09:29 PM.

cut block extraordinaire
    Endorphins yes, they really have nothing to do w/ how good of work out you do. What does you leg routine look like?

The Animal
    The feeling good was in reference to

You are still in the beginning phase where no matter what you do you will gain, but eventually you will stop. Some signs of O/Ting are stagnant lifts, tired all the time, sick etc.

Leg Reps 12-8-6
    decline squat
    incline squat
    stand up squat

Legs Reps 12-10-10
    hamstring machine
    Leg extensions
    calf machine
    stand up calf machine

I am working calfs sooo ****ing hard right now.. my quads are huge from riding my bike solid for like 6 years.. but i never did my calfs.. so i am working them soo hard now

cut block extraordinaire
    What are decline/incline squats?

The Animal
    325 for decline, and 195 for incline.. i really dont work my quads all that hard.. no real need too.. mainly cause i stopped playing lacrosse

Lifting For Strength
    He meant what are the actual exercises, not what your numbers are. I've never heard of those either.

I wannabebig!
    you have more to your upper body then your chest and arms

MACHINE
    This is my current chest/arm routine, i do this every 3rd day.

All of the below are done in first set - 12, second set - 8 and third set 6

Bench
    Incline bench
    Incline dumbells
    Decline Bench
    Decline Dumbells
    Flies
    Cable Cross over
    Tricep rope pull-down
    Tricep V-bar pull-down
    Tricep nose-breakers
    Tricep dumbell ( behind head )
    Dumbell curl
    S-bar Curl
    S-bar front curl

That is day 1.. day 2 i do Shoulders/leg and day 3 I do back.. than go back to the above routine.

But i am looking to make my chest and arms outragiously huge.. and was told that lower reps on heavier weights with some rest between exercises works optimal for this, whereas doing fast, many reps with little rest between exercises tones arms but acturally makes them smaller.
    I'd double the intensity of the workouts, and drop about half of those exercises. This would be my suggestion:

Bench
    Incline dumbells
    Cable Cross over
    Tricep rope pull-down
    Tricep nose-breakers
    Dumbell curl
    S-bar Curl

More exercises and sets does not = more gains. High intensity, plenty of sleep, and better nutrition does. You will only get huge shoulders and chest with amazing genetics and outstanding nutrition (and probably drugs). Higher reps do not necessarily "tone" the muscle, so stop listening to the people who tell you that, because they have obviously done no training research in the last 15 years and don't understand much about how the body works. I'd suggest rep ranges anywhere between 5 and 15 and sets per muscle group between 4 and 10. Use common sense here, as you obviously don't want to do 4 sets for legs or back (although I've made that work), and 10 sets for bis or tris. Training your calves with more sets will probably not make them respond better, so try different weight/rep combos, and stick with them for at least 2 months to see if it's working.
    "He's the best damn rollerskater that ever lived...probably in the whole town" - Chris Pontius

If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with.

5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560

Banned
    Yeah bro you got alot of excerises there...I do bench,Incline bench,DB press,Pushdowns,skullcrushers,and this one tricep thing where you take 2 DB hold them together lay down on a bench and press up (a name would help)...

Listen to the people they know what there talking about, you still have to many exersies for EVERYTHING. Also dont do abs everyday which im just asumming you do because you have it on mon and tuesday.
    Started Weight - 130
    Current Weight - 171 as of 2\18\05 WOOHOO
    GOAL - 175-180

Height - 5'6

My jornal
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=61203