Thread: weight gain necessary?

Wannabebig Member

weight gain necessary?

Hey, i'm 22 yrs old ..5'10'' , about 170 lbs. I have have been lifting for years. It seems my body has reached it's limit. I just cant gain any weight or size. No matter how many calories i take in, i just dont gain weight. My question is, is weight gain absolutely necassary to gain size? I've heard people say weight gain and size come "hand n hand". I mean it makes sense. But if this is true does this mean i can lift as hard as i want and, never see size gains??
    -Jamie

i dont mean to doubt you or call you a liar, but i guarantee you can gain weight. How many calories do you eat a day?

1. you can gain weight unless you have major glandular problems/cancer/both.

2. size and weight come hand and hand. cant gain size without weight. strength and weight however do NOT come hand in hand, but from what you say it sounds like you want size.

Have you really been lifting for years? What is your routine?

Wannabebig Member
    yea, i have been lifting since HS. I am muscualar/cut and feel i do look good, but i just need more size on..
    My routine is like this:
    Mon- back+bi's
    Wed- Legs+shoulders
    Fri- Chest+tris
    I usually do 2-3 exercises per body part, 3 sets of each exercise, 4-6 reps.
    Usually spend about about 15-20 min per body part.
    Without supplements i average alittle over 2,000 calories per day..
    with the high calorie protien shake i am currently taking...over 3,500 calories a day. I did a little calculating and found that i need apprx. 2,000 cal a day to mantain my body weight @ 170lbs. This is why i am confused. I am taking in an extra 1,000+ calories a day and still not gaining??

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ironj21
    I did a little calculating and found that i need apprx. 2,000 cal a day to mantain my body weight @ 170lbs.
    Based on what? Some generic formula? Obviously if what you are currently consuming isn't putting weight on you, you need to eat more...it's pretty clear-cut.

3,500 calories isn't a lot at all id say try to take in about 4500 and tell us you how it goes
    Started Weight - 130
    Current Weight - 171 as of 2\18\05 WOOHOO
    GOAL - 175-180

Height - 5'6

My jornal
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=61203

Trying to learn on the fly
    Quote Originally Posted by snowster900
    3,500 calories isn't a lot at all id say try to take in about 4500 and tell us you how it goes
    i disagree. i think he should start with adding 400-500 to his 3500 and see how it goes. if it doesn't work as he would like it then add 400-500 calories a week until he is progressing as he likes.

I would imagine that the number that you found was the calories you needed for sitting around and watching tv all day. It didn't include working out, cardio and other everyday activities.
    Last edited by AdmiralDan; 02-05-2005 at 04:50 PM.

There is not much of a limit to weight gain. You must increase the cals, or you wont gain period. Everyone says this, but when you break down their caloric intake, its always lower than it should be. Im 17, 5'11 165, 3300-3500 cals would probably maintain, barely gain weight on me, so im at 3800-3900. There is no excuse. EAT, end of discussion.

Food + working out alot = more size/strength
    gotta love algebra
    CLEAN BULKIN' LIKE A VULKIN'!!

18 years old
    180lbs

Bench--300lbs (as of 2/23/07)
    Deads--415lbs (as of 2/20/07)

with the high calorie protien shake i am currently taking...over 3,500 calories a day. I did a little calculating and found that i need apprx. 2,000 cal a day to mantain my body weight @ 170lbs. This is why i am confused. I am taking in an extra 1,000+ calories a day and still not gaining??
    I'd starve on that little food. You need to eat much more.

5.10 170 22 years old?
    Cant gain weight/muscle?
    Your Not eating enough,that's all.

Wannabebig Member
    ok, well thanks guys for the replies. I will up my calories and see what happens. Good thing for those shakes they make. I would never be able to get over 4,000 + calories through food alone....just have a lack of time and money... Right now i am taking Champion Nutrition Heavyweight gainer 900. It has about 900 calories(w/milk) and 50g protien per shake. Does anyone know of any other weight gainer shakes that might be better?
    -Jamie

just eat all day like me

There may be hope yet. JustinASU's Avatar
    Silently Slipping into the dark abyss of Insanity
    Dude I eat your maintenence cals for breakfast. Keep on eating.
    Credulous at best
    Your desire to believe in
    Angels in the hearts of men.
    But pull your head on out of your hippie haze
    And give a listen
    Shouldn't have to say it all again

ok, well thanks guys for the replies. I will up my calories and see what happens. Good thing for those shakes they make. I would never be able to get over 4,000 + calories through food alone....just have a lack of time and money... Right now i am taking Champion Nutrition Heavyweight gainer 900. It has about 900 calories(w/milk) and 50g protien per shake. Does anyone know of any other weight gainer shakes that might be better?
    -Jamie
    That's a pretty good one. A lot of weightgainers have all their cals in sugar, so be careful if you're going to switch to a different one.

AtLarge is coming out with a weight gainer which will put the rest to shame in terms of efficacy, taste, and mixability.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason
    AtLarge is coming out with a weight gainer which will put the rest to shame in terms of efficacy, taste, and mixability.

Can't wait!