The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Straps

Straps

Im thinking about buying a pair of straps for when i shrug and deadlift. Im finding that, as i start to use more heavy weights, my grip is getting weeker and I have to give up because of it.

But at the same time, i dont want my forearms/grip to get weak...

I have never used straps before....and would like to know how much easier it is to lift with them. Also, will my grip strength suffer from using them?
    Last edited by accuFLEX; 01-30-2005 at 02:00 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

My simple advice is: buy them ASAP.

A lot of guys on here will tell you that deadlifts are a grip excersize too, but I simply disagree. I refuse to allow my grip to hinder what I can pull, because simply, my back should be stronger than my grip. It will take a few times to get used to the straps, but you'll be amazed at how many more reps you can get per set and you will probably add 40-50lbs to your pull by the second week you use them, I know I did. Don't rely on them for sets you don't have trouble holding, but you will be amazed at what they can do for the sets you can't.

Banned
    :withstupi Don't use them for stupid things where you don't need to. A lot of people figure that just because they own a pair they may as well use 'em for everything, ie. curls, pulldowns, etc.

The difference in your ability to shrug and deadlift though is night and day, and quite frankly I'm not doing those exercises to increase my grip strength. If you're worried about grip, throw a few set of farmer's walks or static holds (no straps) into your routine every now and then.

thanks man. im going to buy a pair tommorow...

are these fine?
    http://www.heavyweights.net/detailed...?articleid=410

I have smaller hands and problems sometimes with my left forearm and elbow, using straps helps get past this problem as well by providing better grip.......and as said about, if your going super heavy how the hell can u expect your hands to be able to grip as much as your back is doing
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

Lifting For Strength
    I only use my straps for heavy deads and they make the lift feel much more solid. You don't even have to worry about holding on to the bar anymore. Since I started using straps for deads, I added more grip work into my routine so I don't lose any ground.

My one word answer: Chalk
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

Trying to learn on the fly
    accuflex, i don't know where you are from, but i have seen them for much less than that in places like dicks, dunhams, and mcsports. check a local spoorting goods store and you will probably find them cheaper

I've tried straps but they don't work for me. Small hands I guess, they just won't work But on the plus side, I have a grip of steel from the DLing I used to do and the bars I handle. A huge plus from lifting!
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

I suggest you go as heavy as you can without out them and then use them for the balance of your workout.

What I do lately is deadlift up to my heaviest set with just chalk and then use straps after the heavy set for the balance of my sets.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam MacKinnon
    My one word answer: Chalk
    Chalk won't help your grip anywhere near as much as straps. Unless you're going to be doing a powerlifting meet, which would require that you do a max lift with no straps, I see no reason not to use them in your training.

Yea...i have big hands so i guess it wouldn't be a problem for me.

I cant use chalk, because right now im carrying around at workout book, pen, shake, and sometimes an mp3 player when its not on my shorts. I just dont want to carry around the mess and stuff.

So when i do get these....like how do i use them? hahha i dont have a clue.....

No chalk? Ecoball.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

MilliVanilli
    Quote Originally Posted by accuFLEX
    Yea...i have big hands so i guess it wouldn't be a problem for me.

I cant use chalk, because right now im carrying around at workout book, pen, shake, and sometimes an mp3 player when its not on my shorts. I just dont want to carry around the mess and stuff.

So when i do get these....like how do i use them? hahha i dont have a clue.....

You obviously take the one end of the strap and pull it through the looped end. If you hold it with the loop you made at the bottom, and the 'tail' of the strap up, you'll see that the strap goes through at an angle. If the 'tail' end is facing left, turn your hand palm up, slide the loop on your wrist and have the tail end run along your thumb...moreso the palm of your hand, but it should take the same path as your thumb. Do this with the other hand as well. Now walk up to the bar, wrap the strap under the bar and pull the strap around the bar with your other hand to tighten it. Have someone else put the other strap around the bar for you, or else learn how to do it yourself/with your teeth....the strap probably won't be as tight as you'd like though.

Be sure to put the strap a little above the bottom of your hand, when its on your wrist because if you lift a heavy weight its going to dig right into your hand and hurt.

Sorry if that explanation is confusing but its the best I could come up with. They're really simple to use but oddly enough can be a pain in the ass to put on if you're not used to them, so you'll look like a tard trying to figure out which way to slide your hand into the loop.

Lifting For Strength
    I'd just ask someone who knows what they're doing, or check out
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/strapsvid.htm - the video is alright. It's important to go UNDER the bar first, NOT over. Otherwise it is pretty self -explanatory.

Its about the naked thing! FireBug's Avatar
    In that video, it shows him strapping in the left hand, and as you notice, it does not want to cross his thumb line correctly, if you where to reverse the strap (inside out) it will follow the thumb like the right hand will (not inside out).

Just a minor tip, but it feels alot better.

straps only cost like 4 bucks... no reason not to have them, even if the only exercise you use them for is shrugs

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bas
    straps only cost like 4 bucks... no reason not to have them, even if the only exercise you use them for is shrugs
    This may be the best answer yet. Why not? Just don't over use them.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

I had crappy forearms before I used straps, crappy forearms after I started using them, and still crappy forearms after stopping using them. I think straps are a crutch, but a necessary one for some people. Use them sparingly like MMN said.
    "As far as drugs were concerned, all my bodybuilding heroes were on everything but roller skates."

In Memphis, it is illegal for a woman to drive by herself, unless a man is walking or running infront of the vehicle, waving a red flag in order to warn approaching pedestrians and motorists.

Quote Originally Posted by BCC
    Use them sparingly like MMN said.
    Yea i will...but i did DL's today without them (forgot them at home right after i bought them hahaha) and tried to do a new PB of 255lbs....my grip gave out after 8 reps.. I say i could have done 270 today if i could hold on.

Okay, well, then you need to train your grip too! Add some static holds after deads or in some other workout.

Quote Originally Posted by AKraut
    My simple advice is: buy them ASAP.

A lot of guys on here will tell you that deadlifts are a grip excersize too, but I simply disagree. I refuse to allow my grip to hinder what I can pull, because simply, my back should be stronger than my grip. It will take a few times to get used to the straps, but you'll be amazed at how many more reps you can get per set and you will probably add 40-50lbs to your pull by the second week you use them, I know I did. Don't rely on them for sets you don't have trouble holding, but you will be amazed at what they can do for the sets you can't.

You have a weak grip then. My grip has NEVER hinder a deadlift pull. NEVER. Not getting it off the ground or not locking out is my problem.

As for the straps question, use them if you want, but they will affect your grip overtime. If you want a strong grip, then don't use them...EVER.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

3:16
    evne when using straps. its not like the weight is just having to hang off your wrist. your grip strenght still increases as your dead lift increase as well and some of us have much better quality bars in the gym to deadlift with in regards to grip on the bar.
    my gym is crap my hands slip even when i bench some times.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

All I can say is WOW
    I used straps for my DL's today....my old PB was 255lbs...its now 305lbs!
    *cough* new goal *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by accuFLEX
    All I can say is WOW
    I used straps for my DL's today....my old PB was 255lbs...its now 305lbs!
    *cough* new goal *cough*
    Eh, why not make it a goal to lift it without straps?