Thread: Whats in your Gym Bag?

Hybrid View

Whats in your Gym Bag?

The closest thing that I have as a "training crutch" is my gym bag. I find it very difficult to train without it. My gym bag is more than just a means of transporting workout clothes and a belt to and from the gym. It is a collection of tools and implements that I have at my disposal for use in getting the most out of my training sessions.

Even when I am training at home I still pack the bag and have it with me. Last year I was shopping for a new training bag having worn out the previous one when I came across a heavy duty tool bag at Lowes. The AWP construction bag is a heavy- duty tool bag that is used by construction workers, service technicians and mechanics. It was the perfect bag for me for me and at a cost of less than 30.00 which is about fifty dollars less than most upscale gym bags.

My workout begins the night before when I am packing my bag. I review my last training session, outline tomorrow's training session and then begin packing the bag with whatever I might need for the workout. This process normally takes about 5-7 minutes, but during this time, I get a clear mental picture of what I want to happen in the upcoming workout. Once this is done and my bag is packed, I can put the workout out of my mind until I am on the way to the gym. I had a teacher in high school, who was also the athletic director who used to tell me that when there was a competition at night following a school day that he could always tell which athletes were going to perform well. They were the ones who were relaxed, calm and were able to focus on their school work during the day. The athletes who were nervous, fidgety and were talking about and dwelling on the big game that night tended to have poor performances. I find this to be true about lifting as well. Spending your entire day dwelling on the evening workout will use up a lot of nervous energy as well as kill your productivity and focus for whatever you are doing. Here are just some of the things that I might pack in my gym bag for a workout:

Belt, which I use for weighted dips and chin shrugs

Chalk/Resin in a colored ziplock bag: resin works just as well as chalk and it much easier to conceal, but I have to admit that there is something unique about chalking up for a big lift. If you training in a gym that does not allow chalk you can do one of two things (1) Get permission in writing from the manager BEFORE you join the gym (2) ignore the rule, wear a white shirt, be discreet and be sure to clean up your mess. I was talking with a guy last week who was complaining because was thrown out of his gym for using chalk. I have seen this guy train-he uses about one block of chalk per week and spreads it all over himself, the bar, the equipment, and the floor. I would throw him out too. If you get caught using the chalk, just say "this is not chalk" this is magnesium carbonate. This will at least buy you some time to hide your bag of chalk.

Vice Grips/Allen Wrench: used for loosening or tightening collars, J hooks, etc.

Towels, I normally have 2 small towels, one for myself and one to wipe up equipment

Athletic tape: handy for wrapping wrists, fingers, etc.

Shoelaces: I like a tight shoe when lifting, particularly when doing squats.

Handles: I have a couple of custom made cable handles that I like to use from time to time. They fit my hands much better than a generic version.

Lifting straps: I use these for power shrugs and also for front squats

Extra cable with carbine clips: I use a cable that is designed to be a bicycle lock. This comes in handy when you encounter broken cables or simply need some extra cable length.

Tape measure: a small steel tape measure used to measure heights of power rack pins, etc.

Nail clippers: a torn fingernail can be a real distraction during a workout. They also can be used to trim calluses.

Analgesic: Though most analgesics do not have a whole lot of therapeutic value, they do provide a certain amount of heat and increased blood flow to the muscle. I prefer a brand called Sombra, which we also use in our clinic

Bands: I have several surgical tubing bands that I use both for stretching and to add some difficulty to some exercises.

Stopwatch: I will use a stopwatch when doing rest-pause training and also certain interval training where I need to measure the precise amount of time between sets.

Fractional Plates: It is rare for most gyms to have any less than 2.5lbs plates. I carry a pair of 1.25lbers that are spray painted yellow to avoid any confusion that they might belong to the gym.

Grippers: Ironmind's "Captains of Crush"

Collars: Whoever invented the small clip-on collars should be put in prison for life.

I am amazed that so many gyms carry them as their only collar safety device. I carry a set of Quicklee collars, which I also have engraved with my name and phone number.

Chemical ice pack: handy for immediate first aid on a pulled muscle, etc

Notepad and Pen: to record the sets, reps and notes of each training session

Travel size Windex/Squeegee: Used to clean the mirror so I can visually check separation and vascularity of my upper pectorals ( just kidding)

Always be prepared and always be well equipped.

Keith Wassung

MACHINE
    I have a big adidas bag for the gym. Here's what I know is in it.

Wrist wraps and straps
    Advil
    few dollars for a drink at the gym
    CD player and CDs

This is all I need in there, however, the bag is nearly full with crap that accumulates in it over time. Overnight and weekend trip items usually find their way into that bag and don't come out for months, creating an annoying pile of crap to look through when searching for that other wrist wrap. I need to do a better job keeping it clean.
    "He's the best damn rollerskater that ever lived...probably in the whole town" - Chris Pontius

If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with.

5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560

mine's just a medium deuter:

a bottle of water
    a bottle of soya milk for post-workout
    notebook and pen
    a small towel
    purse
    handphone
    tissue paper

Meh, my lifting belt doesn't fit in my gym bag. Inzer powerlifting belts with the lever are fookin heavy anyway, I keep it in my trunk for the 2 or 3 times every few months I use it.

I do generally have the following:

Clothes (lol why is this not on your guys list! Sometimes two sets, since I often go 2x per day)
    Crosstrainers
    Chuck Taylor's (if I'm doing a plifting split)
    Tupperware container with lifting chalk
    Mp3 Player
    Journal and Pen
    Bottle with whey (if I remember...~2% of the time)
    One lifting strap (if I do ez-curl one arm rows)
    Pouch hair brush, gel, deoderant, etc.
    Soap, and shampoo (don't forget teh poo)
    Lock
    Used to have bands in there, but never used them so made space

Gets pretty packed if I have two pairs of shoes, two pairs of clothes plus all my shower stuff though. Bonus is I just found a new compartment on my gym bag I didn't realize was there.
    Last edited by ElPietro; 02-07-2005 at 08:01 AM.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wassung
    Chalk/Resin in a colored ziplock bag: resin works just as well as chalk and it much easier to conceal, but I have to admit that there is something unique about chalking up for a big lift. If you training in a gym that does not allow chalk you can do one of two things (1) Get permission in writing from the manager BEFORE you join the gym (2) ignore the rule, wear a white shirt, be discreet and be sure to clean up your mess.
    The real solution is... Eco-Ball! It works 85% as well as chalk, and is invisible.

http://www.rei.com/product/265293.htm

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Mine is:

Clothes
    sneakers
    squat/dead shoes
    Mp3 Player
    Massive Shake(TM)
    Lock(until i lost it)
    manta ray
    My pills(caf/eph)
    batteries
    I had bands in it, but i since got a bag just for them
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

Wraps
    Dip belt
    2 12" chains with clip for attaching handles and doing pullups
    2 balls with a hook on them for attaching to the chain for pullups
    DB handles (only when I need them cuz they are HEAVY)
    paper with workout on it
    lock
    deoderant

CD DISC MAN
    GATORADE POWDER, MIX IT UP WITH WATER AT THE GYM
    SHAKE WITH PROTEIN
    TRAINERS
    JOURNAL WITH PEN
    CELL
    GUM
    that's it i think
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

Sweating and grunting...where you should be.
    its my purse for all over.

gym clothes
    meals for the day
    books for whatever classes I have for the night
    deoterant
    ipod
    calculator
    "how to draw manga" <-- I dont know why that is still in there
    2 liter thermos on a hook to one of the straps
    HT: 6'3 / WT: 265lbs 16%BF

"Somewhere along the line, we seem to have confused comfort with happiness."

MMA Guru
    - I like girls -

Toughest Man in the World Bruise Brubaker's Avatar
    gym clothes, shoes and small towel
    big towel
    mp3 player
    1 strap (I don't use it, it's been there since I broke the 2nd one)
    Container with a homemade chalk dispenser, when I need it

Clothes
    Towel
    Water bottle
    Chalk
    Straps
    Tape
    Ace bandage
    Journal and pen
    deodorant
    and a dryer sheet to keep it from reeking to the heavens.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

The clothes that I was wearing before I lifted.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

i dont bring a bag with me..

i only bring:

gloves
    towel(get one at the club)
    cd player
    gatorade (during sundays workouts only)

I may get a bag if my shift changes at work and i have to go straight from work to the club

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    Shorts
    T-shirt
    Gatorade

Keepin it simple
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

since i lift at school...and usually immediatly after school is out...lets just say that my football locker counts as my gym bag:

Tub of Nitrean
    Tub of ON's After Max
    Lifting Straps
    Jump Rope
    Axe Spray (don't really use it anymore, used to when i had weights first semester)
    Powerade Mix (don't really use it anymore, i just need to finish it off)
    Notebook w/ pen
    My lucky Jordan cross trainers
    A pair of shorts and a couple sleeveless shirts to lift in
    Nalgene water bottle (for protein PWO, and water throughout the day and workout)
    Last edited by Optimum08; 02-07-2005 at 06:36 PM.

"Squats make the ghetto booty"-Me
    "No matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max"-bIgHwN86
    "Reach for some self discipline."-Holto

cut block extraordinaire
    Shirt
    Shorts
    Shaker bottle

every thing else is in my oversized sports locker at school