The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

how much should i be squating and calf raising

im about 6 feet tall and wiegh 160 pounds? oh and if possible how much on the other exercizes as well?

IM NOT TRYING TO BECOME HUGE LIKE A BODY BUILDER!!! just muscular and cut! but i do wanna bulk up a little

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Only one way to find out
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

Trying to learn on the fly
    being huge like a bodybuilder is more than lifting. your diet dictates how much size you gain or lose

Well, you should at least be able to bench 100% of your body weight. Not sure about deadlift or squat.

As much as you can.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

ONE THOUSAND POUNDS....if you can't thwen your the biggest puss EVER!!!!!

Just kidding of course. Sounds like your pretty new to the lifting arena. Just get in the gym and make focus on making improvements. Set goals and work hard to attain them. Setting goals was my biggest asset. I would set a goal for every month, than a yearly goal. set em high!!!!!

The only way yo will get big is if you specifically focus on eating BIG.

There's no formula to determine what you should be lifting. 2 people with the same build and stats will more than likely be at different strengths. Like Adam said, there's only one way to find out...
    Last edited by Tim Nissen; 02-08-2005 at 04:05 PM.
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

still dislikes Art Atwood Hatred's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ElPietro
    As much as you can.
    What he said.
    Out of the night that covers me,Black as the Pit from pole to pole,I thank whatever gods may be for my unconquerable soul. In The fell clutch of circumstance I have not winced nor cried aloud. Under the bludgeonings of chance my head is bloody, but unbowed. Beyond this place of wrath and tears looms but the horror of the shade And yet the menace of the years finds, and shall find, me unafraid. It matters not how strait the gate how charged with punishments the scroll,I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
    Twitter: @joshuagbsn Follow me as I laugh at the world, and you.

Quote Originally Posted by Stupendous
    Well, you should at least be able to bench 100% of your body weight. Not sure about deadlift or squat.
    What kind of answer is this? This is a myth that people who work out tell people who don't work out to make themselves feel stronger. (not that this was your intention, but I've heard this from ignorant people my whole life)

Right off the bat, I should have been benching 240 according to this line of thinking.

You should be able to bench what you can bench, squat what you can squat, and deadlift what you can deadlift. Try it and you'll find out. Start small to let your muscles get accustomed to weight, and perfect your form before trying your max or you'll regret it bigtime. If you stick to a good workout and diet you'll make gains quickly for up to a year, so don't get discouraged if you're not doing what others tell you is "enough" for your size...it simply isn't true.

cut block extraordinaire
    great post. Some of the best advice you can give

what mrelwood said is true...it is different for every person...because of many factors out of our control (i.e. genetics, muscle build etc.) u just have to max...and see where you are starting at and then go on from there...remember maxing aka how much u lift isn't necessarily all that matters...form is much more important than how much weight...

"Squats make the ghetto booty"-Me
    "No matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max"-bIgHwN86
    "Reach for some self discipline."-Holto

You should be able to do your bodyweight.
    6'2 206

Quote Originally Posted by mrelwooddowd
    What kind of answer is this? This is a myth that people who work out tell people who don't work out to make themselves feel stronger. (not that this was your intention, but I've heard this from ignorant people my whole life)

Right off the bat, I should have been benching 240 according to this line of thinking.

You should be able to bench what you can bench, squat what you can squat, and deadlift what you can deadlift. Try it and you'll find out. Start small to let your muscles get accustomed to weight, and perfect your form before trying your max or you'll regret it bigtime. If you stick to a good workout and diet you'll make gains quickly for up to a year, so don't get discouraged if you're not doing what others tell you is "enough" for your size...it simply isn't true.
    Nonono. I wasn't saying that is what he should be at when he starts out (I weighed 140lbs and my bench was 65lbs when I started so there is no way I would think that). I was saying (I guess I should have been more clear) that being able to bench your own weight is decent goal for someone that is looking to be fit but not bodybuilder huge.