Thread: Critique my squat form (videos included)

WBB Member

Critique my squat form (videos included)

I have made 2 vids of me squatting just because I want to get some feedback from the members here if I am doing them good enough.

Here is a video of me doing 185, one of my warmup sets:

http://www.nd.edu/~kklein1/MVI_0895.AVI

Here is one of me doing 275 for one of my working sets:

http://www.nd.edu/~kklein1/MVI_0896.AVI

Note each of these is about ~3mb. If most of you don't have broadband I can try to find something to compress them with. Thanks.
    Last edited by SpecialK; 02-08-2005 at 07:44 PM.

you lose form a little after your first rep, it looks like you're comign out of the hole leaning a little too far forward. my comp is being ******ed and i'm seeing it all choppy so it may just be on my end

watch the bar, i'm seeing it move forward a little bit coming out of the hole. when i squat the bar moves straight up and down, no back and forth

MilliVanilli
    After viewing the first one, the form looked pretty good. You did lean a little too far forward coming back up.

Overall you look like you need how to tighten up through the entire lift, digging your heals in when you're at the bottom and pushing through your heals. Its gets dodgey when you get stuck a bit down there, the weight didn't look too heavy for you so it should be one smooth motion.

Also, it didn't look like your knees were over your toes but it looked as if they were borderline. I think if you put your feet a little more out infront of you and sat further back you would be dead on.

Overall your form looks pretty good.
    Blood, sweat, and tears.

the just watched the 275 vid.
    Overall it looked pretty good.
    2 things to fix:
    1) Make the first thing to move be your ass sticking back.
    2) When you hit bottom, make sure to drive back with your head hard. Its tough to master, but it helps a ton! It keeps you from doing a good am with the weight.
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

hammin'
    ^ Ya... coming out of the hole, your hips move first, your torso stays stationary, and then you 'good morning' the weight up a little bit to compensate.

I personally overcame that issue by taking an extra wide grip on the bar and 'pulling' the bar down with my hands when I start the push.
    They say that when your ships comes in
    The first man takes the sails
    Second takes the afterdeck
    The third: the planks and rails.

i make sure i look as upright as possible, sometimes i go too far and rock back to my heels a little
    Last edited by jazer80; 02-08-2005 at 09:06 PM.

Overall your form is good. I looked at your heels and it looks like your rocking onto your toes when you come out of the bottom of the squat. This can lead to, too much forward leaning, which places more stress on the lower back.

Other than that, great job!
    Last edited by Maki Riddington; 02-08-2005 at 09:17 PM.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

yea, exactly what they said

let me add it looks as though the first thing to move is ur ass, but it goes straigh up in stead of up and forward, id say ur using to much back maybe, try and keep it straight and linearly going up as ur thighs make a larger angle with ur calves
    Last edited by emjlr3; 02-08-2005 at 10:02 PM.