Thread: Will Calisthenics get in the way of weight training?

Will Calisthenics get in the way of weight training?

Ok, so I've wanted to get into calisthenics for sports trainging for a while but I still want to gain muscle. Assuming I eat/sleep right could a person typicly do calisthenics every morning and still do a regular bodybuilding split in the evenings? Just so theres no misconception I'm talking about hindu squats/wresters bridges/pushups/situps etc to failure every morning. Some people do between 500-900 hindu squats a day :O. Maybe I'd skip certain calisthenics on certain days (like leg day). I mean, basicly this would be like doing cardio for every muscle in my body every morning right? I have read a lot of info on calisthenics in recent months but have never gotten my hands on any about mixing it with heavy weight training. If you can help me out or give me some info I would be extremly apreciative.

You could do it every morning at a low intensity and it should not effect your workouts at all.
    Doing them to failure every day is definately going to lead to loss strength/muscle/joint problem/etc.
    the guys that can do 100's of squats...everyday, would have slowly built up to it. Probly through years of training.
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    I'm guessing you are trying to get conditioned for wrestling? If so...

I'd drop all that stuff. It's a nice approach to getting in shape for wrestling, but let's look this over. There are 4 things you need your body to have in pro wrestling.
    a) size and strength
    b) balance and flexibility
    c) high vertical leap
    d) cardiovascular endurance

a) is reached from lifting consistantly and heavy, with an appropriate diet
    b) is reached through stretching and simply practice
    c) is reached through squatting and plyometrics
    d) is reached through running, rowing, elliptical machine, etc.

So the only thing I would add is plyometrics and cardio. Also make sure you stretch!

The thing to realize is that your body doesn't know the difference between different forms of cardio. Wrestling a long match and running a marathon require the same preparation, in terms of cardio conditioning. So doing 500 hindu squats and running up the stairs until exhausian won't give you any different results than running on a treadmill (since you said you're looking for the cardio-vascular advantages).
    Last edited by Canadian Crippler; 02-05-2005 at 07:47 PM.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

Thanks for the help so far guys. Good guys on why Canadian Crippler lol. You mentioned doing plyometrics. A lot of calisthenics are considered plyometrics. Hindu squats, for example, are (and are probably the best thing to improving that verticle leap btw). If you ever have the honour of trying out for RoH the first thing they do is make you do 500 hindu squats a long with a ton of bridges and push ups (or so they say atleast). I know a lot of wrestlers do calisthenics too. In a lot of backstage segments where you see them warming up you'll with a few hindu squats and in the dojo's of japan they used to do bridges and squats all day as well. Anyway, I've been really trying to fit these in without it cutting into any muscle I could gain and I just don't know how. I guess I could try what Adam MacKinnon said and stick with low volume if you guys think that'll work. I dunno though

The reason lots of wrestlers do exercises like the hindu squat is because they have limited time to get to the gym due to travel. I think you'd be much better off with jump squats, or depth jumps. Check out www.exrx.net for some plyometrical exercises.

Oh, they don't make you do that when trying out for... any fed. Who knows though, RoH is wacky.

And speaking of RoH, how can they say they are "gimmickless" when the five codes of honour, which the fed is based upon, is a gimmick of it's own.
    Last edited by Canadian Crippler; 02-05-2005 at 09:05 PM.

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Crippler
    The reason lots of wrestlers do exercises like the hindu squat is because they have limited time to get to the gym due to travel. I think you'd be much better off with jump squats, or depth jumps. Check out www.exrx.net for some plyometrical exercises.

Oh, they don't make you do that when trying out for... any fed. Who knows though, RoH is wacky.

And speaking of RoH, how can they say they are "gimmickless" when the five codes of honour, which the fed is based upon, is a gimmick of it's own.
    Eh, I don't think wrestlers do Hindu Squats because they can't get into the gym often. Me and Wrestlemaniac know a local wrestler who can go to the gym really anytime he wants and he still does 300 a day.

As I said, it's a good approach to being in shape to wrestle but not the only way. The gym I train at makes us do alot of free squats, free lunges, etc. They do this because very few people there take the time to do plyometrics and cardio on their own.

My vert went up 7 inches. I went from being able to do a set of 6 dropdowns and leapfrogs (a sequence in wrestling) to being able to do 18. Again, yes you can do lots of calisthenics and your muscular endurance will get better. But for me, my way worked better.

EDIT: I'd say still go for it though. I was just giving a suggestion on something optional to it, since you seemed to have some concerns with doing it.
    Last edited by Canadian Crippler; 02-06-2005 at 06:18 PM.

how do you do a hindu squat?

Pumping Iron @ Villy!
    I would not say a wrestling match = a marathon. A marathon is like 20+ miles or something? I cannot see this in any way, can u please explain CC?
    Last edited by Nito; 02-06-2005 at 06:25 PM.
    "Geneing Leans Green"

Nitro, you've gotta be in damn good shape to wrestle. I'd compare a match to a marathon anyday (especially a good Flair/steamboat match). Hindu squats are done by basicly squatting without weight and using your arms as momentum sort of. There are variations. One way is when you go down bring your hands to the ground and when you stand clap them above your head and bring it from point 1 to point to through the entier exersize.

Body Under Construction thalakos84's Avatar
    How long does a match last? A couple hours? Didn't think so. A marathon is 26.3 miles. A marathon will eat you alive if you're not prepared for it.
    Growth
    5'10"
    150lbs
    Bench - 225
    Squat - 247x5
    Deadlift - 315

Are you running fast off the ropes in a marathon? Are you slamming people around and being slammed in a marathon? Are you yelling to interact with the crowd in a marathon? Nope, you're jogging at a steady pace. I bet I could make you feel like you just ran a marathon with 2 minutes in a wrestling ring. You'll also feel damn sore though. Not saying wrestler's can run one, I'm saying they will get just as tired as someone who runs a marathon.

Not that I even said a marathon is like wrestling. I said training for wrestling, cardio-vascular wise, is like training for anything from a marathon, to a 20 hour jackin' off fest. As in, the goal when training is to keep your heart rate up.
    Last edited by Canadian Crippler; 02-06-2005 at 10:57 PM.

True^

Gotta point out though, like Crippler said (ok, to remphasize) in a match you're usually running full tilt, lift (sometimes in excess of 500 pounds - in extreme cases though, usually 200-300) Jumping as high and as far as possible (that takes a lot out of you, especially after doing so much running) then theres the actual mat wrestling and exchanging of holds at a fast pace then the lifting again then the jumping with all the strength you have left and all that over and over and over again. So, yeah, wrestling may not LITERALLY be a marathon but you have to be prepared for it.

Now, I guess no one really knows the answer to my question before so I've decided to rephrase it. Since Hindu squats, bridges and all that are basicly the same as doing pushups does anyone have experience doing pushups and training? Do you think I could get away with 2-3 sets of pushups a day (not necessarily one after another of course) without it cutting into chest or tricep gains (or maybe just 1 set if thats whats better).

(If the answer is yes then it would make sense that I could apply that to the rest of my body right? since weightless squats are pretty much the same as pushups for the legs).
    Last edited by wrestlemaniac; 02-10-2005 at 01:43 AM.

Nah you're not lifting 200-300 lbs. As you'll learn, the guy performing the move is responsible for directing the move and SOME lifting, while the guy taking the move is responsible for going up as "light" as possible (whether that means jumping up for you, flipping over, etc.)

Anyways, from what I've read it would depend on your volume and rest time. I'll say it's very possible to make great gains in strength and size while performing hard calisthenics, given the right routine. The "routine", I do not know.