Thread: stronger abs

Hybrid View

stronger abs

I have been toying with differnt ab excersizes for a few months and have found that 20 slow crunches where I hold at the top of the movement and really crunch that muscle, make my abs much stronger then the 100 cruches in 3 min that i see everyone else do. Does anyone find this to happen too? or have i just rediscovered the wheel ( learned something everyone already knew) ?

Part 2 of this is I am getting ready for the summer and rafting trips that follow. What are some good strength gainign excersizes for the torso twist motion (like paddling for your life) ?

1) Crunches aren't that great for building strength, period.
    2) Throwing sandbags, russian twists.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

sandbags sounds pretty good, what about at the gym? also what IS good for building strength? I mean i thought using a muscle made it stronger......am I wrong?

Because anything you can do for 100 or 20 reps isn't a strength exercise. It's endurance, depending of course, on how you define strength.

Weighted decline situps are better, even though they will largely be a hip flexor exercise, and they will also develop functional strength. For rafting, you'll want power and endurance, but you're not getting power with crunches.

BTW, if you're rowing properly, you'll be suing your abs, obliques AND especially your back. Don't neglect developing strong erectors!

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    Weighted decline situps
    qft

Where do you guys put the weight for your weighted decline situps? Right now I have the weight on my chest (35lbs) but once I need to go higher the 45lbs will be too big to put there. And I can't change the decline, that is maxed out.

Also, kneeling crunches are good.

Quote Originally Posted by Stupendous
    Where do you guys put the weight for your weighted decline situps? Right now I have the weight on my chest (35lbs) but once I need to go higher the 45lbs will be too big to put there. And I can't change the decline, that is maxed out.

Reason that I do weighted crunches (in machine). Try rope crunches, too...or leg raises with dumbells...there will a point where you wont be able to use more weight, thats why i am keeping this machine exercise

Quote Originally Posted by Stupendous

'Dumb' bells
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

Quote Originally Posted by Adam MacKinnon
    'Dumb' bells
    But they are so far away where as plates are available within a few feet :P

when i do weighted decline situps i have been using a 25 pound weight (behind my head, then on my chest when i get worked) and doing sets of 6-10 Is that the better builder of strength? also if that is for the hip flexors (primarily) then what should i do for the ab?

Also dont most lifts rely on the abdomen, so wouldnt endurance be a no brainer for that muscle? and speaking of a stong abdomen, is weighted declined situps the guage for power?

Use it as an excuse to do Farmer's Walk

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Sweating and grunting...where you should be.
    hanging knee raises and toss in some twists with it. Those are probably the best abs destroyers out there but some of the hardest too
    HT: 6'3 / WT: 265lbs 16%BF

"Somewhere along the line, we seem to have confused comfort with happiness."

MMA Guru
    - I like girls -

I have found three excersises that I really like that add strength and mass to the abs.

1) Cable crunches. Set the cable on the high locked position and attach the rope. Get on your knees about 3 to 4 feet away from the rack and do crunchs.
    2) Side cable twist - Lock the cable about half way with the D ring or rope attached. Stand with your side to the rack and grab the ring close to your body and twist.
    3) Decline leg lifts - Lay on a decline bench with your head at the high point and hold onto the top of the bech (where your feet go) Slowly raise your legs untill your lower back comes off the bench or your knees go to face. Then slowly lower them.

I do decline crunches with the weight behind my head. Behind the head is harder. I read in some muscle magazine about an excerise where you do crunchs while laying on a flat bench with your feet on the floor and a towel or two folded under the small of you back works the abs really good. I can do about 95-100 sit ups in two minutes and I could only do 15 of those before my abs started to burn.
    NOW
    Age - 25 Weight - 275 Height - 6'4" BF% - to high

Bench Press: 370LBS 11/13/06
    Squat: 135 X 6 11/7/06 (bad back, just working on form)
    Deadlift: 400LBS 11/10/06

Hardcore
    Podcore. Keep doing what you are doing with the slow crunches. I do that with all of my clients, and another exercise to try is a one minute static hold crunch. Get into your crunch position, and hold it there for one minute straight, and don't move. Do this at the very end of your workout. It is a good finish.

As far as cable crunches go, I really wouldn't advise for anyone to do them unless they really know what they are doing. I go into different gyms every now and then, and I haven't seen anyone do this exercise right. People think if they put the whole stack on, move the weight as quickly as possible, it will totally rip their abs apart. The problem is most people can't handle that much weight for their abs, and they incorporate their lower back instead, or in some cases the triceps get more of a workout than the abs do. If you do this movement take a little bit of the weight off, and just move a little slower. Don't just "Fling" the weight like everyone else in the gym. Really focus on shredding your abs, and fatiguing them. Don't just do the exercise to do it. If you move just a little slower than normal with a little less weight, your abs will be screaming the next day.
    "I workout to music that makes me want to stomp on baby kittens." -David "Kick Ass" Davis

"The intended manipulation of mechanical work applied in order to stimulate a specific metabolic response."
    -Dr. Ben Bocchocchio on the Definition of Exercise

For decline sit-ups what sort of range of motion do you guys use? I find that generally my hip flexors burn out long before my abs.

Any advice on what range of motion might help me to hit my abs more than my flexors?

Thanks.

think of yours abs purpose.
    all they do is bend your top half of your body forward.
    So to 'isolate' abs, the ROM should be tiny.

hey how much freeweight do you all do on crunches/hanging leg raises/whatever else? I never see anyone put the weight down.

i can do about 8 leg raises in a row.(no extra weight)
    And i definatly don't have weak abs.
    It matters how your built.