Thread: Chest

Wannabebig Member SicilianPlayboy's Avatar

Chest

Hey guys new here... ive been working out religiously now for about 8 months and have seen some very substantial gains... now i seem to be improving in everything... little by little now of course.. except for flat bench. For my first set i can get up 8 reps of 155 easy.. then 2nd set about 5-6 reps of 205... then 1 or 2 of 225 for my last set... now i work out hard and when i cant finish my rep by myself my spotter helps me get a few more in... but it seems that i cant improve at all. ITs been 2 months, if not more that im at this max wieght. Flat bench is usually my first routine on chest days... after a warmup. I eat 7 times a day work out 5 days a week? any advice...

Trying to learn on the fly
    what is your routine like? and from what i see here, you must not be pushing youself on your first set if you can add 50lbs and only do 2 fewer reps. i'm at a similar strength and i'll do 8 at 195, 8 at 200 then 6-8 at 205

Banned
    To get up to 225 for 2 after 8 months is commendable my good man. You should be proud of your achievements. However, what you seem to be describing is reaching a plateau. Perhaps focus on other compound movements to pick up your T levels, such as deadlifts and squats, and/or do some accessory movements such as close grip bench, negatives and dumbell presses if improving your bench strength is your main priority.

MACHINE
    Maybe you should not worry about loading up the bar and maxing out every chest workout. Stick with something you can get 8 times and do 3 sets with that. There's no need to put 225 on the bar every time if you can only get it once or twice...it may make you feel good because you have 2 plates on each side, but there's a better way to gain strength.
    "He's the best damn rollerskater that ever lived...probably in the whole town" - Chris Pontius

If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with.

5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560

thanks for the compliment.. in my 8 months doin this ive gained almost 40lbs of mass... i am very dedicated and work hard.... and in regards to maxing out so quickly, i have always done bench like this... and has worked great.. just now i cant do it nemore.. .so maybe i have reached a platau. My work out routine for chest is as follows... Warmup.. which conists of 5 min of cardio.. then some push ups... the 1st i do 3 sets of flat bench, 3 sets of incline, 3 sets of decline... then 3 sets of seated flies,3 sets of pec deck squeezes, 3 sets of high cable crossovers... and 3 sets of i guess what u could call low cable crossovers. then i go home and have a shake. SO plz let me know if im not supposed to max out like that whats the best hting to do so i can start liftin more soon.. and keep raising it up every so often. Thanks alot guys.. im trying so hard to gain some more mass b4 i start cutting. right now im 6'6 and just about 250lbs... used to be 210ish maybe less. thanks for the advice in advance
    Last edited by SicilianPlayboy; 02-10-2005 at 12:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SicilianPlayboy
    thanks for the compliment.. in my 8 months doin this ive gained almost 40lbs of muscle mass... i am very dedicated and work hard.... and in regards to maxing out so quickly, i have always done bench like this... and has worked great.. just now i cant do it nemore.. .so maybe i have reached a platau. My work out routine for chest is as follows... Warmup.. which conists of 5 min of cardio.. then some push ups... the 1st i do 3 sets of flat bench, 3 sets of incline, 3 sets of decline... then 3 sets of seated flies,3 sets of pec deck squeezes, 3 sets of high cable crossovers... and 3 sets of i guess what u could call low cable crossovers. then i go home and have a shake. SO plz let me know if im not supposed to max out like that whats the best hting to do so i can start liftin more soon.. and keep raising it up every so often. Thanks alot guys.. im trying so hard to gain some more mass b4 i start cutting. right now im 6'6 and just about 250lbs... used to be 210ish maybe less. thanks for the advice in advance
    rofl 40lbs of muscle......did u start out anarexant????

switch to dbs, or if uve ben lifting for 8 months u may want to also take 2 weeks off, that can work wonders, i would never keeping working out that long straight or do the ame thing that long, it may also be a matter of just mixing out what you do, try diff excersizes or diff rep and set amounts

Banned
    that isn't your workout every day is it

wow, you are overtraing just a little bit there ! Maybe just try doing bench,incline and dips or something in that line with what you are doing youll be stuck for a long time.
    Started Weight - 130
    Current Weight - 171 as of 2\18\05 WOOHOO
    GOAL - 175-180

Height - 5'6

My jornal
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=61203

no its not every day thats only on monday... i do one body part a day mon - friday... and i rest on sat and sunday... so u guys think im over training?? or what im doin is alrigth and i need to switch up the routine a lil bit?

bump

Banned
    well your basically doing 1 of every chest excercise.

cut down some and switch up the rep #'s to change it up a bit.