The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

sore back from leg press??

hey guys, i was curious of two things.. one: does anyone else ever have a sore lower back after doing leg presses? its a decline leg press, and i usually do it as extra leg work after doing some heavy squats. The squats don't hurt my lower back at all, it might make it a little sore, but thats different. I can feel my lower back being pushed on, and it hurts a bit, when I'm doing the leg presses, especially at higher weights, and today my lower back is still sore, but not the good kind of sore. The second thing I was wondering is that since the leg presses do irritate my back, can anyone recommend another exercise to do in place of them? I always start out with squats and go hard, sometimes I don't even throw in the extra leg work afterwards, but I think it might have been helping my squat go up a bit, so I'd like to continue with something at least. Thanks.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Leg presses iratate my back if its already tired.
    Give Zercher's a go for extra leg work. Or SLDL's.
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

Decline leg press, can you find a link so I can see what you mean?
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Banned
    It sounds like you're using improper form on leg press. You shouldn't be rounding your back agaisnt the back rest at the bottom of the movement. If you are, that's the source of your problem.

Wannabebig Member
    http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...5LegPress.html

theres a link to the leg press i'm talking about, I guess it's called 45 degree leg press, or just regular leg press, but there are two of them in my gym, one that is 45 degree (posted), and the other thats essentially just pushing weight straight out, so it's flat, or 90 degrees I guess. Anyway, I make sure not to round my back, and when using lighter weight, it doesn't really bother me. I think its the pure fact that if I have about 500 lbs on there, and that I weigh about 155, its going to be too much pressure on my back, but I would think the pad would be able to help absorb most of the pressure. I will watch my form with my back next time I do them just to make sure though. Also, what are Zercher's? I couldn't find anything on exrx about them and didn't know where else to check out. Thanks a lot.

for a vid on zerchers, go to http://www.wannabebig.com/vids/adam/
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

Yeah I used to get back pain on the decline leg press. Make sure your shoulders are flush with the pad, that was my problem
    Height: 6'3"
    Weight: 350
    Bench: 370
    Squat: 585

Done with football, just trying to get laid in college

Banned
    I have found that 2 key things tend to cause low back pain when doing leg presses

1) the leg press 'seat' has insufficient padding and you wind up with your back against the hard surface underneath the padding. Not a huge problem at lower weights but gets painful once you're pushing 800lbs++

2) you are going too low in your ROM, causing your hips to move and your butt to rise slightly off the seat. This will cause compression in your lower lumbars and SI area, and can lead to severe injury as well as soreness. Only lower the weight to the point where your legs are flexed to approx. 90 degrees or slightly more and stop lowering it BEFORE your hips shift and your butt moves off the pad.

Wannabebig Member
    ok, i'll try to watch my back and shoulder form next time. I definitely don't want to mess up my back, especially from doing leg presses heh. Those Zerchers look pretty crazy too man, but something I think I'll try out. Looks like it would help the deadlift as well, and I was thinking about starting heavier deadlifts again. Anyway, thanks guys, appreciate the advice.