Thread: Bulk and cut diet?

Bulk and cut diet?

This is my first post here, it seems like the right section to post my questions. First a little background: I'm 6'2", 171 lbs. and have been lifting weights regularly for the past five weeks. I'm seeing good gains in strength, and a little in my physique, but my weight has stayed between 167-171. Is it possible to have a diet that allows me to bulk up while keeping my body fat low? It seems like a waste to bulk up, then have to cut back to lose fat I just gained. I'm still reading through all the sticky posts, there is tons of info around here.

Trying to learn on the fly
    find your maintainence calories and add 500 to it. that number of calories should allow you to put on muscle with minimal fat gain. the slower you gain the less bodyfat you should put on though it heavily depends on your diet. if you have been reading around then you should know what foods to eat and what nutrients you need out of your diet

I just checked out fitday.com, that's really helpful. I get way too many carbs I think. I have an addiction to poptarts every morning.