Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Will the NHL be missed?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GonePostal
    Basketball
    Steals: people are not excited by the steal but rather the offense that is generated from them
    Boards are boring
    Blocks are only exciting about 50% of the time.

Did you watch the piston's last year? When they held their opps to something like 60 points a night and scored 70? Those were brutal games to watch. All the buckets were grind out the offense in a 1/2 court situation. Defense vs defense = boring

Football:
    interceptions -> turn into offense quickly. Even if it doesn't there is an intial jolt of excitment but I get bored quickly if it it is a punt fest. Defensive football turns into a punt fest which barely anyone enjoys.
    I'm not arguing for defensive sports, I don't particularly like defensive games in any sport regardless of what the context is. I'm just saying, a lot of aspects of defense in sports other than hockey can be exciting. The thing about turnovers in basketball/football is that they are momentum swings and momentum swings are usually exciting.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt
    Defensive basketball: boards
    Sorry, I just got a kick out of that one. If grabbing a rebound is "exciting", then I guess line changes on the fly are pretty "riveting" as well.

I'm not saying your view of defensive games is incorrect, you just left out all the actual exciting defensive plays and focused on some of the more boring ones.
    That's exactly what I did; I was merely responding to your post, in which you included none of the positive aspects of a low-scoring hockey game, such as: great saves, broken-up 2 on 1's, blocked shots, crunching body checks, etc.

Also, in football and basketball (not so much baseball), a defensive game makes the losing team have to get creative. Which itself leads to a lot of potentially exciting plays (more 3 point shots, longer pass attempts, etc.). In hockey this isn't the case.
    When a team is losing in hockey the defenseman tend to press a lot more, which leads to more chances...for both teams.

God, people HATE defensive hockey here. I've seen a kid (literally an eight or nine year old kid) get hit in the head with a Big Gulp from 7-11 for playing the neutral zone trap his coach directed.

Insane.
    20 y/o, 6'1", 186 lbs, 14% BF
    bench: 350 deadlift: 560 parallel squat: 465
    total: 1375 @ 186

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Organichu
    God, people HATE defensive hockey here. I've seen a kid (literally an eight or nine year old kid) get hit in the head with a Big Gulp from 7-11 for playing the neutral zone trap his coach directed.

Insane.
    Sorry. I promise I won't do that again...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Vido
    Sorry, I just got a kick out of that one. If grabbing a rebound is "exciting", then I guess line changes on the fly are pretty "riveting" as well.

That's exactly what I did; I was merely responding to your post, in which you included none of the positive aspects of a low-scoring hockey game, such as: great saves, broken-up 2 on 1's, blocked shots, crunching body checks, etc.

When a team is losing in hockey the defenseman tend to press a lot more, which leads to more chances...for both teams.
    Fair enough, rebounds might not be that exciting for everyone, I'm just saying it's an aspect of basketball I find can be exciting in context. ie. if a team is on a big run and rebound marks a momentum swing for the other team.

The thing is, other than great saves and broken up 2 on 1s I can't really think of other exciting defensive plays in hockey. Unless it's an open ice hit, big body checks aren't even that great because they don't mean anything. Sure the defense moves up when they're losing, but they always do it with like 10 seconds left. Hockey is the least "realistic" sport ever. You'd swear Andy Reid was out there coaching every team with they way they handle the clock when a team is down. You never see any desperation until there's less than a minute to go in a game and by that point it's always too late. Who cares if you pull the goalie and have 6 guys up with 30 seconds left? At that point the game is over anyway. Of course this may just be a result of the fact regular season games mean very little in hockey because there are just so many of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Vido
    Seriously, who needs to play 162 games?
    youre right, they need to play 262!
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

If it can be imagined, it can be done. - Me

6'2"
    273 lbs.

back to topic, i am not a huge hockey fan, never was a huge fan, but i do enjoy watching the game, and i did enjoy going to the games. Live hockey is outstanding entertainment.

however, where i live it is hard to even follow the sport. the hockey stats are on the last page of the sports section, after high school wrestling columns. they only cover scores and league leaders, not individual game stats. so it took a bit of effort to keep interested. bottom line for me, i will miss it but i guess many more won't.
    Last edited by MrWebb78; 02-14-2005 at 09:06 PM.
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

6'2"
    273 lbs.

You can't argue a sport into popularity. Or into ratings.

Great sport, fun as hell to play, fun to attend games in person, but as a TV game, and as an entertainment product, it's middling at best. I don't miss it. At all.

There's a laundry list of reasons why hockey won't ever take off in the US... but the main reason is that it has just too much competition from various sports that do far better in the television format. It's also done a terrible job of making the casual viewer care about the outcome of each game, or the championship.

The players lack public personas (with a very few notable exceptions), the game doesn't actively market itself effectively in america, and quite honestly the season IS too long. But whatever. The owners and players can argue themselves into bankruptcy... maybe if we're lucky the NFL will see an opportunity and fill that massive "gap" with another week or two of regular season football.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

I for one won't miss hockey...if it were gone for good I would miss seeing the occassional game or team brawl. I know a few of my roommates would definitely miss it.

Confused
    Watching hockey in person is awesome so much better than football or any other game.

Well, it's tough to say "people in the US don't enjoy or watch hockey." Half your country is warm weather all year round, so of course hockey there isn't going to be anything they learned of when growing up. But ask some kid in michigan, or ask a detroit sports fan, and you'll find just as many fanatics there as you will here in canada.

That being said, I would gladly sacrifice a season, if they actually intended to fix the league. Unfortunatley, Bettman has always been committed to saving franchises, and this is not what is required to fix the league. It needs to lose a minimum of 6 teams, if not 8 or more. The game is slow-paced and defensive, not because a lack of great players, but a surplus of ****ty ones. These scrubs that now make a living in the league can't keep up with a Kariya, or Modano, so all they can do is hook, clutch or grab, and that's what slows things down. It's not the size of the goalies pads, or lack of scoring that makes it worse, it's the actual chances to score, and all that, that is limited by these no talent ass-clowns that make it in because there are too many spots available. Unfortunately, preserve jobs is one thing both Bettman and Goodenow agree on for now.

Other changes I'd make, would be to shorten the season, maybe in the 60 game range. Right now, games aren't as important since there are so many, and the season pretty much starts from scratch in the playoffs anyway. But that is even more money out of owners pockets, so it'll probably not happen. It would give players more time to rest in between games, and fans would have a higher perceived value on games, and since they mean more, players would play harder on a consistent basis. Oh, and remove the bonehead delayed off-side. I'm still looking for an intelligent reason on why that was implemented.

I miss hockey simply because it's a good excuse to go out drinking with friends, right now all that there is is basketball, and that can be boring at times as well.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Banned
    Nice post, Pietro. Part of the reason I stopped watching hockey was simply because there were too many games and too many teams.

I think that Belial has it right in that the marketing for the game has been crap. The NFL is the gold standard when it comes to how you should run a professional sports league, IMHO. I would rather watch an NFL game than any other kind of sporting event, bar none. I think the NBA is probably the closest second place sport but I can't say for sure as I don't watch basketball because I don't really give a damn about the game.

I always get a laugh out of how people are negative about 'defensive' play in sports because it's 'boring'. Personally I think it's a shame because quality defensive play takes forethought and planning and skill and a 'puntfest' football game or a hockey game played mostly in the neutral zone becomes even more of a chess match, IMHO, where the game can turn on that one big play that makes it through. I think there's a clear bias among average sports viewers towards scoring rather than defensive success but personally I appreciate the only stat that matters -- the W|L ratio. If you can get there with defense rather than scoring, I'm just as happy to watch it.

One crazy MOFO/Mail man
    Then you are in the minority and they are not marketing to the minorities. It is a proven fact that people like offense more then defense. Is this right? No. Does defense take any less skill or effort? No. Is offense better then defense? No. But name one league that grew it's viewership because of defense. NONE.
    I am pretty neutral on this NHL thing but all the dumbass players/reporters/agents that are coming out of the woodwork and talking complete trash makes me want to puke. It makes me want the NHL to go away. I want them to cancel the season and fold the league up just to teach this ******s a lesson.
    w00t

still dislikes Art Atwood Hatred's Avatar
    IS hockey where they smack the ball around whilst riding horses??

if so, then ,"no".

If not ....then "no".
    Out of the night that covers me,Black as the Pit from pole to pole,I thank whatever gods may be for my unconquerable soul. In The fell clutch of circumstance I have not winced nor cried aloud. Under the bludgeonings of chance my head is bloody, but unbowed. Beyond this place of wrath and tears looms but the horror of the shade And yet the menace of the years finds, and shall find, me unafraid. It matters not how strait the gate how charged with punishments the scroll,I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
    Twitter: @joshuagbsn Follow me as I laugh at the world, and you.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GonePostal
    Then you are in the minority and they are not marketing to the minorities. It is a proven fact that people like offense more then defense. Is this right? No. Does defense take any less skill or effort? No. Is offense better then defense? No. But name one league that grew it's viewership because of defense. NONE.
    I wouldn't attempt to name one league that grew its viewership because of defense.

That's why I indicated in my paragraph that it was my personal opinion NO LESS THAN FOUR TIMES.

My closing comments in my last post were somewhat smug and elitist remarks intended to snidely criticize those I view as ignorant lemmings (aka "the average viewer) that can't appreciate aspects of a sport other than scoring.

I know I'm in the minority. I'm not sure why you felt the need to post some kind of rebuttal to my comments when I made a special effort to ensure it was clear it was just my personal opinion.

Perhaps some remedial reading comprehension classes are in order? I can recommend some online learning centres.

The only good idea that I've heard regarding hockey recently:
    Award the Stanley Cup to the best team in North America, no matter that the NHL is not playing. Let the local club and college teams compete for it. Can you imagine some schlubs from the middle of nowhere competing for the cup? That would make hockey interesting again, from a macro perspective. This ain't my idea; apparently there is some historical justification for this as well.

Otherwise, I recommend hockey move to hitting a large, round orange ball with baseball bats into endzones.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

For some reason the only sports I can watch with interest are football & Nascar. (Can only take so much of Nascar too). Football & TV seem to be made for each other. Hockey,it's just not well suited for TV ,it seems TV sterilizes the game or something and baseball there's just not enough activity to keep me awake for 3 innings,never mind 9. I won't miss it because it's not nationally televised in my area. Give me the Xgames!

The NHL has a big product and marketing problem. It seems that the AHL teams have absolutely no problems drawing fans. In fact, last year, the Chicago Wolves managed to outdraw the Chicago Blackhawks in game attendance! That's because the AHL focuses on more in-game entertainment, uses smaller rinks which enable closer and more frequent physical contact, and more scoring, and does a pretty darn good job of marketing itself. Similar to arena football which is also rapidly rising in popularity.

Second, hockey lacks the established tradition of the "big 3" sports in the US. It's not as ingrained in the culture, and yet, there are far more teams in the US than in Canada. Why? Perhaps the lack of tradition stems from the lack of grassroots support at local levels. It's an accessibility issue. Most kids simply cannot participate as youths either because a) it's too expensive, b) their parents won't let them because of perceived notions of hockey as a "violent" sport (yet they're more than willing to let them play soccer, football, etc.), and c) there are no local facilities or leagues in which to play, especially in the warmer climes. Go to any mid-size metro area and there are probably hundreds of basketball courts, yet only one or maybe two ice arenas if they're lucky. That leaves little ice time to be able to support large numbers of teams, practices, and open skating. These are all problems that will need to be addressed if the NHL or any other pro hockey leaugue wants to have a sustainable future.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Guido
    That's because the AHL focuses on more in-game entertainment, uses smaller rinks which enable closer and more frequent physical contact, and more scoring, and does a pretty darn good job of marketing itself.
    The LAST thing the NHL needs is smaller rinks.

Not only won't I miss it, but I'm glad it's gone. I couldn't stand having hockey on TV when I could possibly watch an infomercial.

Thank god it's cancelled, officially.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    The only good idea that I've heard regarding hockey recently:
    Award the Stanley Cup to the best team in North America, no matter that the NHL is not playing. Let the local club and college teams compete for it. Can you imagine some schlubs from the middle of nowhere competing for the cup? That would make hockey interesting again, from a macro perspective. This ain't my idea; apparently there is some historical justification for this as well.
    That's actually a cool idea.

As long as there's football, basketball, and MMA around I won't miss hockey.
    "you are like my yoda." - chops

"you are not like yoda at all!" - chops

"shh...I'm only gay for pay" - ECTX

"no matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max" - bIgHwN86

My Journal

Bulking Sith Knight Stephen Riddington's Avatar
    I do.

As for the person who said that NHL is an American league, I believe that the NHL is a Canadian league, since the head office is in Toronto. The contract written by Lord Stanley, for the Stanley Cup states the Cup will go to the top team in CANADA, not North America. So basically hockey is essentially a Canadian game, not American.

The reason that hockey sucks in American, is because of crappy marketing and over-expansion of the league by that basketball-crazed dumbass, Bettman. The NHL's new TV deal with NBC is so damn funny, 18 nationally televised games over the course of 2 years for what?? 170+ MILLION.

Wanna solve this impasse???

Fire Bettman, fire Goodenow.
    Hire Gretzky for Commish.
    You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'-Homer Simpson
    My brother always said that drowning in beer would be like heaven. Well, my brother's not here and I have two soakers... This sucks!!!-Bob McKenzie
    Hockey is murder on ice-Jim Murray
    Give a guy a gun, he thinks he's Superman. Give him two and he thinks he's God.-Superintendent Pang (Hard Boiled)

it's impossible to market the NHL in the majority of the U.S. NBA,NFL, and MLB are easy to market because kids and adults can enjoy watching it on tv and then go out and play it at the park, or their own backyard. it doesnt take a genius to market any other sport, but there is no way to market hockey.

6'2"
    273 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianHomer
    The reason that hockey sucks in American, is because of crappy marketing and over-expansion of the league by that basketball-crazed dumbass, Bettman. The NHL's new TV deal with NBC is so damn funny, 18 nationally televised games over the course of 2 years for what?? 170+ MILLION.
    Or maybe it's that the game is near unwatchable on TV?