The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    It's All About Committment KiwiBuilder's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianHomer
    I do.

As for the person who said that NHL is an American league, I believe that the NHL is a Canadian league, since the head office is in Toronto. The contract written by Lord Stanley, for the Stanley Cup states the Cup will go to the top team in CANADA, not North America. So basically hockey is essentially a Canadian game, not American.

The reason that hockey sucks in American, is because of crappy marketing and over-expansion of the league by that basketball-crazed dumbass, Bettman. The NHL's new TV deal with NBC is so damn funny, 18 nationally televised games over the course of 2 years for what?? 170+ MILLION.

Wanna solve this impasse???

Fire Bettman, fire Goodenow.
    Hire Gretzky for Commish.

Amen.
    =================================================
    Currently:: ~90.75 Kg and BFLing!
    Cutting Goal:: Abs!
    Ultimate Goals:: 100Kg at ~10% BF.
    The Road To Largeness
    Newest member of WBBB
    "Go ahead on with it Quadzilla..." - Cocoa.
    "I hope the course gets a few more beer cart girls. Hot ones with long legs and tans. Great, now I'm excited. My left forearm is never going to catch up now. Son of a bitch." - Tim Nissen.
    "Most people don't realize that large pieces of coral, which have been painted brown and attached to the skull by common wood screws, can make a child look like a deer." - Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts
    =================================================

To me hockey is as good or better on tv. Lot of good angles, commentating, and no $10/8oz cup of domestic beer to bitch about. Perhaps your level of understanding of the sport is what limits your enjoyment?

I'm still thinking it's a climate issue and grass roots as stated earlier in the thread. Here in canada, we have rinks everywhere. When I was growing up, the tennis courts we had in the park in the summer were frozen to create ice rinks. Kids would come to skate there after school and play shinny hockey until they had frostbite ever single day.

I'd probably played hockey there two hours each night, and then continue to skate for another hour or so after that when shinny time was over, and then again on weekends, on top of actually playing in house leagues, and whatever other team I might be on. Fact is, that kind of infrastructure simply doesn't exist in the US. Half their states are too warm for outdoor facilities which are pretty cheap to setup, and indoor rinks are pretty expensive. Let alone just for shinny, which anyone can afford, but for league play, it's hard to put your kids through hockey if you have to put up $500+ just for equipment, and then another few hundred each year for their league fee. Forgetaboutit if your kid wants to be a goalie.

I don't think it's the sport itself that isn't marketable. I mean it's a fast game, with lots of contact, fights, 100mph shots, finesse, etc. All this appeals to the average sports fan, I just think there needs to be some significant changes to return it to what it once was.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Vido
    The LAST thing the NHL needs is smaller rinks.
    :withstupi

If anything they'd be better off with larger rinks (international hockey) to allow for more open ice and maybe lessen the impact of clutching/grabbing. I'm not suggesting they do this, but smaller rinks would make the game even more brutal to watch.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianHomer
    I do.

As for the person who said that NHL is an American league, I believe that the NHL is a Canadian league, since the head office is in Toronto. The contract written by Lord Stanley, for the Stanley Cup states the Cup will go to the top team in CANADA, not North America. So basically hockey is essentially a Canadian game, not American.

The reason that hockey sucks in American, is because of crappy marketing and over-expansion of the league by that basketball-crazed dumbass, Bettman. The NHL's new TV deal with NBC is so damn funny, 18 nationally televised games over the course of 2 years for what?? 170+ MILLION.
    The NHL IS an American league regardless of what you say. It's irrelevant that the head office is in Toronto. Canada can't even keep teams in their national sport in the country. Sure expansion franchises are killing the sport, but the thing is, even if you look at expansion teams, a lot of them are in cities supporting several professional sports teams (NBA, MLB, NFL, etc.). Most Canadian cities can't even support a hockey team. If you removed all US teams from the league, it'd collapse. You could remove all Canadian teams and no one would flinch.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    Or maybe it's that the game is near unwatchable on TV?
    Quote Originally Posted by ElPietro
    To me hockey is as good or better on tv. Lot of good angles, commentating, and no $10/8oz cup of domestic beer to bitch about. Perhaps your level of understanding of the sport is what limits your enjoyment?
    Good response.

Fact is, that kind of infrastructure simply doesn't exist in the US. Half their states are too warm for outdoor facilities which are pretty cheap to setup, and indoor rinks are pretty expensive. Let alone just for shinny, which anyone can afford, but for league play, it's hard to put your kids through hockey if you have to put up $500+ just for equipment, and then another few hundred each year for their league fee. Forgetaboutit if your kid wants to be a goalie.

I don't think it's the sport itself that isn't marketable. I mean it's a fast game, with lots of contact, fights, 100mph shots, finesse, etc. All this appeals to the average sports fan, I just think there needs to be some significant changes to return it to what it once was.
    :withstupi Excellent post.
    Last edited by Vido; 02-17-2005 at 03:54 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt
    Canada can't even keep teams in their national sport in the country.
    I didn't know this was a lacrosse thread .

One crazy MOFO/Mail man
    Right... Have you noticed how many hockey hotbeds are in Canada? Do you see the percentage of Canadian hockey players in the NHL? The jets moved to phenoix and are having a GREAT! time right.... Teams moved south because it was a concious effort by Bettman to expand into the US. Instead of expanding he just transplanted teams. You notice how the league didn't come to help any of the Canadian teams but when some American teams now are in trouble there is all kinds of movement. That is because Bettman want's it that way. Oh and if you removed all the American teams the leauge would not collapse. That's just assnine. I see this similar to the CFL experience. They tried to expand into the states and recieved the same warm welcome from the US. I don't deny there are some American hockey cites but to say it's an American game is just wrong.
    w00t

Hmmm. You're on to something. But I'd say it's my level of beer is what limits my enjoyment of hockey, and not incidentally, baseball.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GonePostal
    You notice how the league didn't come to help any of the Canadian teams but when some American teams now are in trouble there is all kinds of movement. That is because Bettman want's it that way.
    I don't disagree with a lot of what you're saying since much of it is pretty much my point. I'm saying it's an American league because of how it's run and where the interests lie. As far as hockey hotbeds, players, fans, etc. Canada is a no brainer. The problem is that the NHL ignores Canadian problems and centers around US ones. That's why I'm claiming the league is American.

Also, if American teams did leave the league, it would collapse as we know it. CFL is a particularly poor example because they're in financial trouble. Other than Montreal and Toronto none of the Canadian teams in the NHL have a firm foundation, or at least one firm enough to turn a profit and make a league worthwhile. Ottawa almost lost their team a few years back, Edmonton and Calgary are in financial troubles and I don't know where Vancouver stands, but I doubt it's much better off than any of the teams I've mentioned already. For all intents and purposes it's an American league that should be Canadian.

BTW I'm not claiming it's an American GAME, I'm claiming it's an American LEAGUE. Big difference. Looking at the interest in junior hockey, etc. the US pales in comparison.
    Last edited by Dirt; 02-17-2005 at 05:19 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Vido
    I didn't know this was a lacrosse thread .
    I could be wrong, but I was under the impression lacrosse was the official summer sport and hockey the official winter sport. Who knows...

Ah where to start....

I'll miss it to an extent, but its not something I'm going to dwell on. Its not an entire hockey lockout. Its an NHL lockout. Can still watch WHL and OHL and QMJHL, etc. Which honestly seem to have some more exciting games.

Personally I'll attribute the NHLs situation to Expansion. Goalies are getting bigger. And with 3rd and 4th liners now playing on teams 1st and 2nd lines there is less of a chance to score. Too many ****ty teams leads to too many ****ty players. Which in turn leads to more clutching and grabbing. Less Skill. Less goals. There is no way that California needs 3 teams and Florida needs two teams. (Ex. More people came out to see the Stanley Cup losers in Calgary. Than the stanley cup winners in tampa.) And nobody would miss Buffalo or Pittsburgh... Practically minor league teams anyways the last few years.

Thats 5 teams I've gotten rid of......... 10-15 good players that could go to other teams. Much of a difference??? I would think so. Can I prove it? No.

Vancouver also made a profit... and has done so the past few years I believe. Van. has also been in the running for 1st place in the conference for the last few years as well.

And whoever said fire goodenow and bettman... you have my vote too. Get somebody that knows hockey. Not just some baseball commish. wannabe.

Just my opinion.... Lox
    Maybe I was big in a past life...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lox
    Vancouver also made a profit... and has done so the past few years I believe.
    Dirt's reference was to the BC Lions, not the Canucks.

Apparently hockey is back

Season starts March 1, 2005.

LOL
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

http://www.sportsnet.ca/

They haven't updated their site just quite yet.
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

Paul Stagg

Quote Originally Posted by Manveet
    Apparently hockey is back

Season starts March 1, 2005.

LOL

nevermind, still just a "rumour" being thrown around. They might strike a deal soon, and not play until next season...

lol, nevermind, talks fell apart again this weekend.
    Last edited by Manveet; 02-19-2005 at 02:02 PM.

Richard Dawkins

Richard Dawkins

Paul Stagg

Other than Montreal and Toronto none of the Canadian teams in the NHL have a firm foundation, or at least one firm enough to turn a profit and make a league worthwhile. Ottawa almost lost their team a few years back, Edmonton and Calgary are in financial troubles and I don't know where Vancouver stands,
    Unless my reading has gone drastically downhill... It appears to say NHL right in there.

Banned
    Unless my reading has gone drastically downhill... It appears to say NHL right in there.
    lol, sorry man...apparently it's me who can't read

Wannabebig Member
    I said it before and i'll say it again.. fire goodenow and bettman and the game will be much better off.
    If you're not bodybuilding, what are you doing?

Don't forget to fire the GMs that made all of this possible...

Martin Lapointe = $4 million/year
    Darius Kasparitis = $4.4 million/year
    Bobby Holik = $8 million/year
    Alexie Yashin = $10 million/year
    Greg Devries = $3.1 million/year

The list of overpaid players goes on and on. Thanks GMs and owners for offering middle of the road players top dollar.

Banned
    Don't forget to fire the GMs that made all of this possible...

Martin Lapointe = $4 million/year
    Darius Kasparitis = $4.4 million/year
    Bobby Holik = $8 million/year
    Alexie Yashin = $10 million/year
    Greg Devries = $3.1 million/year

The list of overpaid players goes on and on. Thanks GMs and owners for offering middle of the road players top dollar.
    :withstupi

Hockey is a mess though entirely. They need to overhaul everything. There are so many issues needing to be addressed its ridiculous. Like someone else has pointed out, there are simply too many teams allowing for too many "unskilled" players to play in the league. Most fans don't want to see a slower game and that's what the NHL has been delivering consistently over the last decade. There are fewer scoring opportunities, fewer shots on goals and fewers goals, etc., etc. now than ever before. As bad as that is, that's not even half the problem. You still have to address owners, players, rules, etc.

The bottom line is, I'm glad a last minute desperation deal wasn't made. It'd be a band-aid solution for a massive problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt
    I'm glad a last minute desperation deal wasn't made. It'd be a band-aid solution for a massive problem.

Exactly. We don't a compromise. We need a total overhaul of the league's financial structure......and then rules of play.

When the NHL does show it's face again, it'll be great.

I'll take a one-year break followed by decades of entertainment instead of that garbage NHL brand of "hockey" we were watching anyday. If this is what it took (which sucks), then so be it.