Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Giving blood

Giving blood

Im kinda under the weather right now....not really sick, but not 100%

I want to give blood this friday, but not sure if i should. Like i said, im not really sick.....

what are the symptoms you're feeling?
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

they won't take you if you are sick at all. not a safe thing to give potentially contaminated blood to an ill person. if you are under the weather, there is a reason (either a virus or bacteria). you should be 100%, both for your sake and the future user of your blood.
    Size is SEXY!

As long as there's raniali nudity, its all good. -- PMDL, my idol
    My God. I wish, if only for a day, i had hooters like that to play with. -- TCD, my other idol
    It is as stable as my mindset around your breasts. -- robboe
    Good god raniali....you have an amazing physique. -- JustinASU
    Whenever raniali posts in a thread, somebody is bound to get aroused, thats just the way it is. -- Y2A

~Anything worth doing at all IS worth doing well.~
    ~You all laugh because I am diFFereNt; I laugh because you're all the same.~
    ~Have no fear of perfection; you will never reach it. -- Salvador Dali, Diary of A Genius~

Sweating and grunting...where you should be.
    at least you can give blood, I still cant. took too many pills to stay healthy when I lived in africa, cant give blood for 12-15 years after I get back. goooo malaria pills...
    HT: 6'3 / WT: 265lbs 16%BF

"Somewhere along the line, we seem to have confused comfort with happiness."

MMA Guru
    - I like girls -

omg.... giving blood sucks..

it makes me soooooooooo sick, I can't do it anymore.

They won't let you..
    "To achieve success, whatever the job we have, we must pay a price."

- Vince Lombardi

> c b r o n s <

At least i dont think they will if youre sick
    "To achieve success, whatever the job we have, we must pay a price."

- Vince Lombardi

> c b r o n s <

suprarob
    Do it, it's a multi-million dollar business where those at the top live extravagant lifestyles instead of checking all blood supplies for contagious pathogens (AIDS lies dormant for years) and some unsuspecting fool ends up getting a blood transfusion he would not have needed if the dr would have taken his time and not did sloppy work!!!

haha^

I would sure hope they would examine you before they take blood from you. but many people give blood. Even the ones infected with aids.
    Last edited by waynis; 02-17-2005 at 07:52 PM.
    Never Giving In.

Quote Originally Posted by suprarob
    Do it, it's a multi-million dollar business where those at the top live extravagant lifestyles instead of checking all blood supplies for contagious pathogens (AIDS lies dormant for years) and some unsuspecting fool ends up getting a blood transfusion he would not have needed if the dr would have taken his time and not did sloppy work!!!
    ^^^^^^
    May well be the longest sentence ever composed. Try to read that aloud in one breath.

To the original poster: Don't give blood if you're ill at the time.
    Last edited by razorbrain; 02-18-2005 at 12:24 PM.
    I know you're half-crazy, but I wish you'd go all the way.

"Razorcut, as usual, is 100% correct." --- ectx

"It is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.” --- Charles Darwin

suprarob
    Ask any dr...there is no 100% test for AIDS, tho the blood people would lead you to believe...that's why it is written that they are NOT responsible for disease transmission. Or else they would be shut down by now because of all the diseases people have caught from contaminated blood.

PS:Where is your blood bank ? Ours is in the hood and the people that usually donate are druggies and prostitutes.

...there is no 100% test for AIDS....
    Nor is there a test that is 100% sensitive for any disease.

The ELISA test for HIV antibodies is about 99.5% sensitive.
    Last edited by razorbrain; 02-18-2005 at 03:20 PM.

"It is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.” --- Charles Darwin

suprarob
    Quote Originally Posted by razorbrain
    Nor is there a test that is 100% sensitive for any disease.

The ELISA test for HIV antibodies is about 99.5% sensitive.
    Very true but it can be DORMANT when tested...that's why some people still get infected EVERY year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Very true but it can be DORMANT when tested....
    Sorry, just not true. See link for more detail.

"HIV is not like other kinds of viruses (herpes for instance) which can have a latent or dormant state." Mark Holodniy, MD, FACP, CIC
    Stanford University School of Medicine.

http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/L...ory/Q5883.html

If you're sick, don't give blood. You'll risk getting sicker. Last time I donated I was feeling like something was coming on, but I went anyway. The prelim physical checked out fine, so I had no problem. Then I was sick as hell for 2 weeks.

Just wait until you feel better.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Quote Originally Posted by drew
    Last time I donated I was feeling like something was coming on, but I went anyway.
    What a comforting thought.
    Last edited by waynis; 02-19-2005 at 09:36 AM.
    Never Giving In.

suprarob
    Quote Originally Posted by razorbrain
    Sorry, just not true. See link for more detail.

"HIV is not like other kinds of viruses (herpes for instance) which can have a latent or dormant state." Mark Holodniy, MD, FACP, CIC
    Stanford University School of Medicine.

http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/L...ory/Q5883.html

Whatever, read this from the CDC, not some PAID Dr., yes they have reduced it but NOT eliminated it. Not to mention new tests are needed for new and emerging diseases. So even with only ONE bullet in the chamber I'm not pulling the trigger!!!!!!

Rob.

go to: C D C home page; logo: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; Safer, Healthier, People
    spacer image
    spacer image spacer image go to: C D C Home Page go to: Search C D C go to: C D C Health Topics A to Z
    go to: C D C - Divisions of H I V / AIDS Prevention Home Page; logo: H I V / AIDS Prevention National Center for HIV, STD and TB Prevention
    Divisions of HIV/AIDS Prevention
    Frequently Asked Questions | Home | Index | Search | Site Map
    How safe is the blood supply in the United States?

The U.S. blood supply is among the safest in the world. Nearly all people infected with HIV through blood transfusions received those transfusions before 1985, the year HIV testing began for all donated blood.

The Public Health Service has recommended an approach to blood safety in the United States that includes stringent donor selection practices and the use of screening tests. U.S. blood donations have been screened for antibodies to HIV-1 since March 1985 and HIV-2 since June 1992. The p24 Antigen test was added in 1996. Blood and blood products that test positive for HIV are safely discarded and are not used for transfusions.

Tests Performed on Each Unit of Donated Blood* (Source: American Red Cross)

Disease

Test

Year Implemented

HIV/ AIDS

HIV/AIDS HIV- I Antibody test

HIV-1/2 Antibody test

HIV-I p24 Antigen test

HIV/AIDS and Hepatitis C

Nucleic Acid Test (NAT)

Hepatitis C

Hepatitis C Anti-HCV

Hepatitis B

Hepatitis B Surface Antigen test

Hepatitis B Core Antibody

Hepatitis

Hepatitis ALT

Syphilis

Syphilis Serologic test

Human T-cell Lymphotropic Virus (HTLV)

HTLV-I Antibody

HTLV -I/II Antibody

The improvement of processing methods for blood products also has "REDUCED" (capitals by Rob) the number of infections resulting from the use of these products.

Currently, the risk of infection with HIV in the United States through receiving a blood transfusion or blood products is extremely low and has become progressively lower, even in geographic areas with high HIV prevalence rates.

* This list is subject to change as new blood safety opportunities and requirements emerge. Additional tests may be performed to meet special patient needs.
    Last edited by suprarob; 02-19-2005 at 04:16 PM.

PS:Where is your blood bank ? Ours is in the hood and the people that usually donate are druggies and prostitutes.
    That's not a blood bank homie, that's for plasma which is then used in the production of many different producst, not in humans.

People are no longer paid to donate blood, just plasma. Do you even understand the subject you are debating.

So what's your point supraboy? That we shouldnt give or recieve blood from these organizations? If my life was on the line, Id risk it.
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

"If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST

suprarob
    Smallboy don't take things out of context. I said that the BLOOD business is BIG business. Or PLASMA business if you prefer. If you want someone elses blood then knock yourself out. However if you interview most doctors they will say that they do NOT want someone elses blood. This is there reply, at least the the drs I know...

!)They want a quality doc who does not do sloppy cutting and then giving blood.
    2) They want to store there OWN blood for emergencies.
    3) They prefer blood expanders and saline solution first to make up the volume.

We live in an educated consumer world now. It's ******ed how most bodybuilders eat "clean" and yet they will injest blood at the drop of a hat. Go figure. If you want to be ignorant of the facts then do so. By all means, drink it till you get sick, pun intended. It's your right,lol.
    Rob.

Quote from the Public Health Orginization...

"An estimated 1 in 450,000 donations per year are infectious for HIV but are not detected by current antibody screening tests."

That's just one disease. There are many more and many more will arise in the future.
    Last edited by suprarob; 02-19-2005 at 08:31 PM.

suprarob
    Are blood banks faced with more long searches for tests to make blood safe? Citing the problem of cost, a director of the American Red Cross made this disturbing comment: "We can't just keep adding test after test for each infectious agent that might be spread."—Medical World News, May 8, 1989.

Even the test for hepatitis B is fallible; many still contract it from blood. Moreover, will people be satisfied with the announced test for hepatitis C? The Journal of the American Medical Association (January 5, 1990) showed that a year can pass before antibodies of the disease are detectable by the test. Meanwhile, people transfused with the blood may face ruined livers—and death.

BLOOD, RUINED LIVERS, AND . . .

"Ironically, blood-borne AIDS . . . has never been as great a threat as other diseases—hepatitis, for instance," explained the Washington Post.

Yes, vast numbers have got very sick and have died from such hepatitis, which has no specific treatment. According to U.S.News & World Report, about 5 percent of those given blood in the United States get hepatitis—175,000 people a year. About half become chronic carriers, and at least 1 in 5 develop cirrhosis or cancer of the liver. It is estimated that 4,000 die. Imagine the headlines you would read if a jumbo jet crashed, killing all aboard. But 4,000 deaths amount to a full jumbo jet crashing every month!

If those are facts you're typing, that's pretty scary. I'd never really thought about it before.

suprarob
    Quote Originally Posted by TTT
    If those are facts you're typing, that's pretty scary. I'd never really thought about it before.
    We have ALL been conditioned to believe what "they" want us to believe...

According to U.S.News & World Report, about 5 percent of those given blood in the United States get hepatitis—175,000 people a year. About half become chronic carriers, and at least 1 in 5 develop cirrhosis or cancer of the liver. It is estimated that 4,000 die.
    Give me a reputable source for these numbers, so far most of the actuall numbers you have posted come from newspapers, lol.

Also please explain where I took something out of context, you confused a blood bank with a plasma bank. And insinuated that this country gives prostitutes and drug addicts money for their blood, which shows your lack of knowledge on this subject.

Germany is one of the few countries that pays for whole blood donations, and even they have a lower risk factor than the numbers your claiming.

Obviously giving your own blood prior to a procedure and using it if necassary would be the best option but this is very rarely possible. Both my little brother and my mother have most likely been saved by blood transfusions. Again, if I needed it I would take the chance.

--Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    30th U.S. President

suprarob
    Quote Originally Posted by smalls
    Give me a reputable source for these numbers, so far most of the actuall numbers you have posted come from newspapers, lol.

Also please explain where I took something out of context, you confused a blood bank with a plasma bank. And insinuated that this country gives prostitutes and drug addicts money for their blood, which shows your lack of knowledge on this subject.

Germany is one of the few countries that pays for whole blood donations, and even they have a lower risk factor than the numbers your claiming.

Obviously giving your own blood prior to a procedure and using it if necassary would be the best option but this is very rarely possible. Both my little brother and my mother have most likely been saved by blood transfusions. Again, if I needed it I would take the chance.

When "reason" leaves the conversation, it is "reason" to leave the conversation. Feel free to ignore the dangers and may you and your family enjoy all the blood you want............................................................. The CDC is a newspaper?????????

I wonder why these hospitals are popping up around the country????????????????????????????????????????????????

Center for Bloodless Medicine & Surgery at Pennsylvania Hospital
    700 Spruce Street
    Suite 102
    Philadelphia, PA 19106

Phone: 888.451.6060

Patricia A. Ford, MD, Medical Director
    Michael J. Columbus - Administrative Director

In the Pittsburgh area, you can contact:

Center for Bloodless Medicine and Surgery
    Allegheny General Hospital
    320 East North Ave
    Pittsburgh, PA 15212-4772

Phone: 877 284-2100
    Bloodless Medicine & Surgery Program
    Baptist Medical Center
    800 Prudential Drive
    Jacksonville Fl 32207

(904) 202-3460 Local
    (866) 839-9161 Toll Free

Gary L Butler Program Manager
    John M Crump, M.D. Medical Director

Jackson Memorial Hospital
    1611 NW 12th Avenue
    Miami, Florida 33136

1-800-NO-4-BLDD (1-800-664-2533)
    (305) 585-7269

L. Diane Mitchell, M.S.W., L.C.S.W, Coordinator BMSP
    Mitchell@um-jmh.org

Tampa General Hospital
    Davis Islands
    P.O. Box 1289
    Tampa, FL 33606
    Voice: (813) 844-7807
    Toll Free: (866) 662-5333
    Pager: (813) 332-7807
    Fax: (813) 844-4225
    Email: Ratkins@tgh.org

Medical Director:
    Thomas L. Bernasek, MD
    Vice Chief, Orthopaedic Surgery

Coordinator:
    Robin Atkins, MPH, MSW, LCSW

Jan Castro Graziani
    Bloodless Medicine and Surgery
    Swedish Covenant Hospital
    5145 North California Avenue
    Chicago, Illinois 60625
    1-773-878-8200 EXT. 1826
    Last edited by suprarob; 02-20-2005 at 08:32 AM.

When "reason" leaves the conversation, it is "reason" to leave the conversation. Feel free to ignore the dangers and may you and your family enjoy all the blood you want............................................................. The CDC is a newspaper?????????

I wonder why these hospitals are popping up around the country????????????????????????????????????????????????

You posted no statistics in relation to blood transfusion diseases from the CDC, only dates in which diseases become screened for. Again, please post real stats, especially the specific one I address (5% of individuals who get blood tranfusions get hepatitis). I need a reputable source for the numbers your coming up with, any reputable source.

--Abraham Lincoln

30th U.S. President