The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Will the NHL be missed?

does anyone have any quick links to facts on NHL attendance and TV ratings? I've come across several polls that indicate that a strong majority of people won't miss this season and also imply they would not miss the NHL if it were gone for good.

I know in most of the U.S. it was/would never be as big as MLB,NBA,NFL. However I thought it was still a close fourth that deserved being recognized as a "huge" sporting event.

I attended very few Sharks games over the years since they were the closest team to home, but I still watched at least every other week on ESPN, as well as the playoffs.

So I'm asking, was the NHL only big in attendance and not on TV? will it truly not be missed?
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

If it can be imagined, it can be done. - Me

6'2"
    273 lbs.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

the what? oh.. right..

you're damn right it will be, the bruins woulda won this year!
    6'0 - 176lb
    ~14% bf

Quote Originally Posted by body
    - women eat cream cakes when you are not looking and have chocolate in hiding places. There are no journal articles to refernce this fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinstarke
    I found that while my friends were good at drawing or skating i was good at moving heavy objects.

Banned
    No it won't be missed. I'm glad the season is finally "over" so idiots can stop talking about it. Jim Rome summed it up best when he commented about people hanging on to the hopes of a season. "You mean they won't hold a 4 game season and a shoot out to determine the winner of the cup?". What a shame. The season ended like 4 months ago and people should've clued in back then. As far as stats go, I don't have any links, but apparently ESPN is seeing greater viewership numbers from their poker coverage than NHL games. Which doesn't surprise me. Who really wants to watch NHL hockey now? They may as well go to a 200 game season with 60 teams so people could care even less than they do now. The product they've put out in the last decade has been crap. With the pace that the league responds to problems (ie. the ~10 year span between clutching and grabbing becoming a big part of the game and the league actually enforcing a rule against it), I'll assume in about a decade or two they might actually be putting out a decent product again. Until then, I won't be missing it.

Banned
    I think this is something you'll see a HUGE difference in between Canada and the US.

Hockey's not fighting for 4th spot in Canada, it's #1 barnone. It's greatly missed; life doesn't even seem right without it.

As for the US, I can see it not being that big a deal.

In the overbearing soccer mom culture that my country has become, hockey has become that "barbarian" game...which is unfortunate, because its excellent competition and expression of athletic ability. The canadians actually understand that hockey is a great sport...its a damn shame they can't come to an agreement.
    May you be in heaven an hour before the devil knows you're dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Pup
    In the overbearing soccer mom culture that my country has become, hockey has become that "barbarian" game...which is unfortunate, because its excellent competition and expression of athletic ability. The canadians actually understand that hockey is a great sport...its a damn shame they can't come to an agreement.

Me /pwn1ng by Xian Rookie's journal Rookie's Picture Thread

Damn right you will be! We don't mess around down here. Liquor and Steel, that's what we're all about -Casey

ROFL, oh man - I usually wait until I'm on the freeway to do that. What an idiot! -teufy doing what he does best.

You aren't strong enough or pretty enough to train in the evenings with us...better stick to noon workouts with the rest of the geriatrics. - pup

Yeah. I'm a dork. - Teufy

Better yet, "why should anyone's interpretation of divinity govern modern society?" - Twilo

Quote Originally Posted by Pup
    its a damn shame, its simply barbaric how they cant come to an agreement...
    6'0 - 176lb
    ~14% bf

Quote Originally Posted by body
    - women eat cream cakes when you are not looking and have chocolate in hiding places. There are no journal articles to refernce this fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinstarke
    I found that while my friends were good at drawing or skating i was good at moving heavy objects.

Wannabebig Member
    It will be missed but mostly by Canadians. Its really the only sport we've ever loved. Personally i watch baseball, football, basketball, tennis, racing but hockey? Damn i miss it! The tv ratings in the u.s. are extremely low which makes me wonder why there are so many teams down there..specifically in the southern parts.

The problem is the commissioner bettman and the players association guy goodenow. They should both be fired or get a new league with a good contract and a salary cap!
    If you're not bodybuilding, what are you doing?

its a shame about the NHL i myself didnt watch it regularly but if i just happened to flip past a game i would watch.. i just dont see why the players wont take pay cuts i mean even tkaing pay cuts would guarantee them more money than not playing at all..

as for the us/canada issue of course canucks will miss it more as its a way of life and is there main sport.. i dont remember as a kid anyone ever asking me to play hockey or leagues anywhere near me where i could play.. instead there is football baseball and basketball everywhere you turn as a kid.. i think if there were more programs for young kids and teenagers it might be a different story right now..
    PRs
    bp-295x2, 225x15 squat-405x3
    height 5'2 weight 140lbs

All hail mase, the king of homosexual reference. - xian
    Pfffff. I've had jerk off sessions more intense than that workout. StackAttack in reference to CanadianCripplers w/o

Fuzzy Pics 6/07 http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=98659

One crazy MOFO/Mail man
    States wont miss it at all.
    As for the TV contracts... there was none this year... They couldn't even give the games away if they wanted to. Poker has gotten higher ratings then NHL hockey has recently on ESPN... Hell I would bet scrabble did. The current prodcut on ice is down right boring, but I wouldn't say it's been like that for a decade... We had some good hockey during the early 90's
    w00t

Quote Originally Posted by MrWebb78
    does anyone have any quick links to facts on NHL attendance and TV ratings? I've come across several polls that indicate that a strong majority of people won't miss this season and also imply they would not miss the NHL if it were gone for good.

I know in most of the U.S. it was/would never be as big as MLB,NBA,NFL. However I thought it was still a close fourth that deserved being recognized as a "huge" sporting event.

I attended very few Sharks games over the years since they were the closest team to home, but I still watched at least every other week on ESPN, as well as the playoffs.

So I'm asking, was the NHL only big in attendance and not on TV? will it truly not be missed?

Apparently something like 40% of Canadians don't miss hockey.

http://www.canada.com/search/story.h...a-63448b099e8b

You have to subscribe to the paper in order to read the full story, unfortunately.

The NHL is only big in Canada, and few markets in the US.
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt
    As far as stats go, I don't have any links, but apparently ESPN is seeing greater viewership numbers from their poker coverage than NHL games. Which doesn't surprise me.
    Doesn't surprise me either. Hockey isn't a big thing in the US. ESPN is a US channel...

Who really wants to watch NHL hockey now? They may as well go to a 200 game season with 60 teams so people could care even less than they do now.
    Are there too many teams in the league? Yes

Are there too many games in a season? Yes

Are there just as many teams and twice as many games in a baseball season? Yes...and people still love baseball. I don't see how anyone could argue that a regular season-baseball game a) is more exciting and b) has more riding on it than a regular season hockey game. This is coming from someone who LIKES baseball too. I just don't see how anyone can say "the product on the ice is boring" when baseball is still doing so well.

Is the league as good as the NFL? Hell no, no league is...but it's on par with the NBA and better than the MLB.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Vido
    Doesn't surprise me either. Hockey isn't a big thing in the US. ESPN is a US channel...

Are there too many teams in the league? Yes

Are there too many games in a season? Yes

Are there just as many teams and twice as many games in a baseball season? Yes...and people still love baseball. I don't see how anyone could argue that a regular season-baseball game a) is more exciting and b) has more riding on it than a regular season hockey game. This is coming from someone who LIKES baseball too. I just don't see how anyone can say "the product on the ice is boring" when baseball is still doing so well.

Is the league as good as the NFL? Hell no, no league is...but it's on par with the NBA and better than the MLB.
    The fact it's not doing well on a US channel is pretty much the point and evidence for the inherent problems in the league. The NHL is ultimately an American league, for a predominantly American sport, that is only really loved by Canadians. The league may as well expand into Oklahoma, Alabama, insert any random state they haven't moved into yet. It'd be equally logical to the teams they've added in recent years. Canadian cities can't support teams, they get relocated to places where no one gives a damn in the US and the revenues drop and we end up where we are now.

Frankly, both sides are ******ed. The league needs to cut back on teams and games to keep the market there. The players also need to agree to some sort of cap (whatever you want to call it). Their argument that a cap would allow small market teams to survive when they should be eliminated has validity, but Canada is the place losing most of it's teams due to an inability to compete against larger US markets. This is a problem because Canadians care more about hockey than most Americans. Obviously there's more to the lockout than this, but I think it's an issue that isn't being discussed (at least not in the media) and it's a major one. The fact even Canadians don't give a **** anymore is bad news for the league, but it reflects the frustration with the ****ty product that has been out there.

With MLB it's a different story. It's America's past time and blah blah, so they'll always have a fan base no matter how many stupid things that league pulls and how many teams or games are played. A lot of people bitch about the playoff system, but there's still a huge draw there. I'd have to disagree with your NBA comment though, I don't even like basketball that much and I'd rather turrn on an NBA game than an NHL one. I don't really want to watch a hockey game that is won 1-0 with 10 shots on goal. There's so much that needs to be fixed in the NHL. I think a lot of the reason that the NHL game has degraded is that hockey as a sport isn't interesting when it's defensive. A great defensive baseball game, football game, basketball game, etc. can still be exciting. A really defensive hockey game is just a lot of clutching, grabbing, checks, blocked shots, etc. None of that is interesting. Unfortunately, that's also the way the league has headed over the last decade.

Banned
    The fact it's not doing well on a US channel is pretty much the point and evidence for the inherent problems in the league. The NHL is ultimately an American league, for a predominantly American sport, that is only really loved by Canadians. The league may as well expand into Oklahoma, Alabama, insert any random state they haven't moved into yet. It'd be equally logical to the teams they've added in recent years. Canadian cities can't support teams, they get relocated to places where no one gives a damn in the US and the revenues drop and we end up where we are now.

Frankly, both sides are ******ed. The league needs to cut back on teams and games to keep the market there. The players also need to agree to some sort of cap (whatever you want to call it). Their argument that a cap would allow small market teams to survive when they should be eliminated has validity, but Canada is the place losing most of it's teams due to an inability to compete against larger US markets. This is a problem because Canadians care more about hockey than most Americans. Obviously there's more to the lockout than this, but I think it's an issue that isn't being discussed (at least not in the media) and it's a major one.
    Very true, good points.

I'd have to disagree with your NBA comment though, I don't even like basketball that much and I'd rather turrn on an NBA game than an NHL one.
    The NBA comment was mostly referring to the format of the various leagues. All of them probably have too many teams, but with football at least you only have a 16-game regular season which means every game has the utmost importance. NHL = NBA because they both play 82-game seasons. One can argue on either side as to which sport is more exciting.

YOU may not want to watch a 1-0 hockey game (not saying I do either, but I'm proving a point)..."I" may not want to watch a 124-115 basketball game because "I" don't get enjoyment out of knowing that the teams are basically scoring at will. It's personal preference. Quite frankly I think I'm in the majority who would rather see a high-scoring game, but moreso than that I'd rather see a CLOSE game...so yeah, I think a 1-0 game is a LOT more exciting than an 8-4 one (or 80-78 as opposed to 125-102 in b-ball).

I think a lot of the reason that the NHL game has degraded is that hockey as a sport isn't interesting when it's defensive. A great defensive baseball game, football game, basketball game, etc. can still be exciting. A really defensive hockey game is just a lot of clutching, grabbing, checks, blocked shots, etc. None of that is interesting.
    Well, you did pre-face this with "I think", so I won't have to bother mentioning how biased this is .

Defensive baseball game: weak grounders to the infield, pop-ups to the outfield, strikeouts, pitching changes where the guy's warm-up lasts longer than his actual performance

Defensive basketball game: poor shooting and sloppy turnovers

Defensive football game: draws getting stuffed up the middle, dropped or inaccurate passes, lots of punting

I'm not sure how any of these things are more exciting than "clutching, grabbing, checks, blocked shots". Are they less exciting? No, but they're just as bad. Every sport has its downfalls.

Banned
    Well, you did pre-face this with "I think", so I won't have to bother mentioning how biased this is .

Defensive baseball game: weak grounders to the infield, pop-ups to the outfield, strikeouts, pitching changes where the guy's warm-up lasts longer than his actual performance

Defensive basketball game: poor shooting and sloppy turnovers

Defensive football game: draws getting stuffed up the middle, dropped or inaccurate passes, lots of punting

I'm not sure how any of these things are more exciting than "clutching, grabbing, checks, blocked shots". Are they less exciting? No, but they're just as bad. Every sport has its downfalls.
    Defensive baseball game: great pitching, double plays, great fielding

Defensive basketball: steals, boards, blocks

Defensive football: interceptions, forced fumbles, goal line stands, sacks, big hits

The only thing in hockey that is exciting and defensive is a big save. Not many of those get a chance of happening because of how slow the game is now. I'm not saying your view of defensive games is incorrect, you just left out all the actual exciting defensive plays and focused on some of the more boring ones. Also, in football and basketball (not so much baseball), a defensive game makes the losing team have to get creative. Which itself leads to a lot of potentially exciting plays (more 3 point shots, longer pass attempts, etc.). In hockey this isn't the case. There isn't a remedy to too much clutching and grabbing if it isn't being called, etc.

One crazy MOFO/Mail man
    Defensive baseball game: great pitching, double plays, great fielding

Defensive basketball: steals, boards, blocks

Defensive football: interceptions, forced fumbles, goal line stands, sacks, big hits

The only thing in hockey that is exciting and defensive is a big save. Not many of those get a chance of happening because of how slow the game is now. I'm not saying your view of defensive games is incorrect, you just left out all the actual exciting defensive plays and focused on some of the more boring ones. Also, in football and basketball (not so much baseball), a defensive game makes the losing team have to get creative. Which itself leads to a lot of potentially exciting plays (more 3 point shots, longer pass attempts, etc.). In hockey this isn't the case. There isn't a remedy to too much clutching and grabbing if it isn't being called, etc.
    Basketball
    Steals: people are not excited by the steal but rather the offense that is generated from them
    Boards are boring
    Blocks are only exciting about 50% of the time.

Did you watch the piston's last year? When they held their opps to something like 60 points a night and scored 70? Those were brutal games to watch. All the buckets were grind out the offense in a 1/2 court situation. Defense vs defense = boring

Football:
    interceptions -> turn into offense quickly. Even if it doesn't there is an intial jolt of excitment but I get bored quickly if it it is a punt fest. Defensive football turns into a punt fest which barely anyone enjoys.
    w00t

Banned
    Defensive basketball: boards
    Sorry, I just got a kick out of that one. If grabbing a rebound is "exciting", then I guess line changes on the fly are pretty "riveting" as well.

I'm not saying your view of defensive games is incorrect, you just left out all the actual exciting defensive plays and focused on some of the more boring ones.
    That's exactly what I did; I was merely responding to your post, in which you included none of the positive aspects of a low-scoring hockey game, such as: great saves, broken-up 2 on 1's, blocked shots, crunching body checks, etc.

Also, in football and basketball (not so much baseball), a defensive game makes the losing team have to get creative. Which itself leads to a lot of potentially exciting plays (more 3 point shots, longer pass attempts, etc.). In hockey this isn't the case.
    When a team is losing in hockey the defenseman tend to press a lot more, which leads to more chances...for both teams.

dammit Vido. NOTHING is better than baseball! although unfortunately baseball will only be pure in local little leagues
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

6'2"
    273 lbs.

It's All About Committment KiwiBuilder's Avatar
    Baseball bores me to tears. Now, hockey on the other hand is the Game Of the Gods... fast paced, exciting to watch (and play), with some the most skilled athletes you'll ever see.

Show me a baseball player doing the equivalent of deflecting a mid air puck travelling at 100mph, through the pads of the goalie!
    Last edited by KiwiBuilder; 02-14-2005 at 07:32 PM.
    =================================================
    Currently:: ~90.75 Kg and BFLing!
    Cutting Goal:: Abs!
    Ultimate Goals:: 100Kg at ~10% BF.
    The Road To Largeness
    Newest member of WBBB
    "Go ahead on with it Quadzilla..." - Cocoa.
    "I hope the course gets a few more beer cart girls. Hot ones with long legs and tans. Great, now I'm excited. My left forearm is never going to catch up now. Son of a bitch." - Tim Nissen.
    "Most people don't realize that large pieces of coral, which have been painted brown and attached to the skull by common wood screws, can make a child look like a deer." - Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts
    =================================================

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiBuilder
    Baseball bores me to tears. Now, hockey on the other hand is the Game Of the Gods... fast paced, exciting to watch (and play), with some the most skilled athletes you'll ever see.

Show me a baseball player doing the equivalent of deflecting a mid air puck travelling at 100mph, through the pads of the goalie!

I agree 100%

If I were to watch any sport in person, it would have to be hockey, hands down.
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

Paul Stagg

Banned
    Baseball is America's pasttime, so of course people are going to like it.

That doesn't mean it's exciting (except for pennant races and the playoffs), and that the format of the league isn't severely lacking. Seriously, who needs to play 162 games?

Seriously, who needs to play 162 games?
    youre right, they need to play 262!

6'2"
    273 lbs.

Baseball sucks and I don't miss hockey.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Red Wings baby!!

No, I wouldn't miss it a bit.

One thing I don't understand is how people keep saying "small market teams" are not surviving in the NHL. For the past several seasons many "small market" crappy teams have been making it to the cup final. Furthermore, just this past year almost every Canadian made it into the playoffs (except for Edmonton, I believe). I can probably understand how fiscally "small market" teams are having trouble staying above water, but considering how crappy the rules of the game are (trap hockey, clutching/grabbing, goalie equipment etc..) "small market" teams are fairing well considering the list of past Stanley Cup finalists.

Richard Dawkins

Richard Dawkins

Paul Stagg