The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    suprarob
    Quote Originally Posted by Vido
    Yeah, anyone who uses steroids is a HUGE loser

On a side note, what the hell does "drugs are for users" mean? That has to be one of the dumbest statements I've ever heard. It's like "cat food's for cats"...ummm yeah, so?
    It's a "play" on words to exact a statement , oh smart one...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Beebs
    They were knowingly breaking the rules. Regardless of how many people do it, when you break the rules and associate with other rulebreakers, you run the risk of getting caught. Thats how it works in the outside world, thats how it works in the sports world. Don't want to get ousted? Don't break the rules.
    It's not about "getting caught". People are fools if they can't tell half these guys are juicing anyways. They shouldn't need any "proof".

Things don't change in life. When you're in grade 2 and you tell on the mean kid for calling you a "sally" you're a tattletale...when you're 40 years old and telling the world certain athletes are "cheating" you're still a tattletale. It's just pathetic IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by suprarob
    It's a "play" on words to exact a statement , oh smart one...
    suprarob...i gotta ask because it seems lately you been pissed and flaming everyone...what is your deal dude? male pms or what

Banned
    cars are for drivers

Mystic Eric
    food is for eaters
    Last edited by Mystic Eric; 02-15-2005 at 08:10 PM.

Banned
    can openers are for opening cans

Mystic Eric
    basketballs are for ballers

Banned
    books are for readers
    Last edited by Vido; 02-15-2005 at 08:16 PM.

Mystic Eric
    puns (play on words) are for suprarobs

Banned
    lol

suprarob
    Quote Originally Posted by briancurran01
    suprarob...i gotta ask because it seems lately you been pissed and flaming everyone...what is your deal dude? male pms or what
    Perhaps most on this board are too sensitive. I mean no ill will. Maybe there is too much estrogen going around.
    People joke my statements and I laugh.
    Reciprocate please.
    Rob.

well i just saw some places where you were calling all the board members idiots and you seemed pissed that is why i asked.

suprarob
    Estrogen is for wanna-be women...

suprarob
    Quote Originally Posted by briancurran01
    well i just saw some places where you were calling all the board members idiots and you seemed pissed that is why i asked.
    I was not calling everyone "idiots", just those who think that more items would not be banned, after all, Ephedra (Ma-Hung), Pro-Hormones and others have been taken from the public. Please, don't read so much into things.
    Rob.

Is it just me, or was McGwire not really as big as everyone thought? I saw him in a sleeveless shirt on TV once, and his arms were big, but they carried some decent fat, as did the rest of him. He also weighed in at like 250 when he finished up, which was only 25lbs heavier than his rookie card reads. Is it so unbelievable that he could have bulked up using legal supplements? He carried a pretty high bodyfat from the looks fo him, and he didn't exactly blow up overnight like Bonds. He was never a scrawny man, and seemed to get bigger over the years. He also seems to be very much a class act, and for what it's worth I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mrelwooddowd
    I saw him in a sleeveless shirt on TV once, and his arms were big, but they carried some decent fat, as did the rest of him.
    Canseco wasn't ripped either. Bodyfat is not an indication of drug use.

Quote Originally Posted by Vido
    Canseco wasn't ripped either. Bodyfat is not an indication of drug use.
    Obviously it's not, and that's not what I meant. I meant that I don't think Mcgwire was as big as everyone thought. His bodyfat made him appear huge, when in fact he was only 25lbs heavier than when he entered MLB. I have 16 1/2 inch arms, but I'm also a fatass.

Canseco on the other hand carried a great deal of muscle that was visible. He carried quite a bit less bodyfat than McGwire, and especially when he was in Oakland.

Banned
    Fair enough, it's just important to remember that you don't have to look like a Mr. Olympia competitor to be using gear. Lots of steroids are more designed to enhance strength than do anything aesthetically, and of course without a solid diet, no drug is going to throw mass on you.

I've just seen and heard a lot of good things about Mark McGwire (abused kids foundation, etc.), and would need proof other than Jose Canseco's word. But I could be wrong, and wouldn't bee too awful surprised if he had been on gear. If you'll recall, after the andro fiasco, McGwire said he'd stop taking it to silence his critics...he went downhill from there. Was it the lack of dietary supplements, or was it that he stopped with steroids too just in case? I'd like to know.

I've just seen and heard a lot of good things about Mark McGwire (abused kids foundation, etc.), and would need proof other than Jose Canseco's word. But I could be wrong, and wouldn't bee too awful surprised if he had been on gear. If you'll recall, after the andro fiasco, McGwire said he'd stop taking it to silence his critics...he went downhill from there. Was it the lack of dietary supplements, or was it that he stopped with steroids too just in case? I'd like to know.
    McGwire's knees just couldn't take it anymore, he couldn't hit the ball. You can take all the steroids you want, but they wont help you hit a ball.

Also, McGwire was always a big guy, he hit 49HR his rookie year. And supposedly he was about 270 lbs the year he hit 70. I have a lot more faith in him saying he didn[t use roids rather than bonds who WAS NEVER big, but then blew up,.

Banned
    I've just seen and heard a lot of good things about Mark McGwire (abused kids foundation, etc.), and would need proof other than Jose Canseco's word.
    You can be a great person and still use drugs, performance enhancing or otherwise. As far as him not blowing up, it's kind of irrelevant. He was always a big guy as people have pointed out, so it's not like taking AAS would put him over 300 or something if his diet wasn't aiming to do so. There are a lot of advantages other than just size gain to be had from taking AAS, and it's likely most pro athletes are using for reasons other than throwing on a few lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by GMCtrk
    McGwire's knees just couldn't take it anymore, he couldn't hit the ball. You can take all the steroids you want, but they wont help you hit a ball.

Also, McGwire was always a big guy, he hit 49HR his rookie year. And supposedly he was about 270 lbs the year he hit 70. I have a lot more faith in him saying he didn[t use roids rather than bonds who WAS NEVER big, but then blew up,.
    He sure did hit 49..that was incredible at that time. If I had to take a stnd on it now, I'd say he didnt..but we may never know.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt
    You can be a great person and still use drugs, performance enhancing or otherwise. As far as him not blowing up, it's kind of irrelevant. He was always a big guy as people have pointed out, so it's not like taking AAS would put him over 300 or something if his diet wasn't aiming to do so. There are a lot of advantages other than just size gain to be had from taking AAS, and it's likely most pro athletes are using for reasons other than throwing on a few lbs.
    My point was more that he has a great public image, and he doesn't seem the type to ruin it with something like steroids. The majority view of steroids is that they are bad, and people who use them are druggies...that's not the image a guy like that wants to portray.

And yes, he was always a big guy as I pointed out, which was exactly the reason for my semi-defense of him to begin with.

I heard a story about a guy who drove some crazy distance to get his autograph one time in the final years of his career, and he waited for him outside the stadium and all that. He finally gets a chance, and finds out like a lot of others that McGwire doesn't give autographs to adults very often because he doesn't want people just selling it when there are kids waiting to get it that it means something to (I'm sure there are plenty of adults [myself included] that would love to get the autograph and keep it, but I see his point). So anyway, he refuses and explains himself, and the guy promises he is a fan and doesn't want to sell it, and again McGwire refuses because it's all or nothing for his rule. So the guy offers him $100 for it, and he again refuses..then changes his mind and tells him to make the check out to his foundation for abused kids, and signs the autograph.

I just don't see someone with such a clean public image doing something like steroids and risking his foundation's livelihood, not to mention the look on his own son's (not to mention the children he cares so much about) face when he gets rocked in the court of public opinion.

Bonds on the other hand has no social skills, and comes off an an a$$ anyway, so I could believe he did it..but I still need proof.

Banned
    My point was more that he has a great public image, and he doesn't seem the type to ruin it with something like steroids. The majority view of steroids is that they are bad, and people who use them are druggies...that's not the image a guy like that wants to portray.

Bonds on the other hand has no social skills, and comes off an an a$$ anyway, so I could believe he did it..but I still need proof.
    I think you're just taking the general public's image of a steroid user to base your assumptions on. There IS a lot of "a$$es with no social skills" that use drugs, but there's a lot of "normal, good-standing citizens" that do as well...just like there's a mixed bag of people who DON'T use drugs.

Banned

I just don't see someone with such a clean public image doing something like steroids and risking his foundation's livelihood, not to mention the look on his own son's (not to mention the children he cares so much about) face when he gets rocked in the court of public opinion.

Image has nothing to do with it. Taking AAS when you're a professional athlete is a no brainer. Athletes compete for money, fame and maybe some of them the love of the game. Everyone wants to leave their mark, they're willing to do anything to achieve that. Taking a performance enhancing drug helps a lot of guys to get to that next level. I doubt any player in the history of sports has ever considered what the fans or public would think of them if they did something. Everything a pro athlete does is self-serving. I would do the same as them as well if I were in their shoes, as would anyone else. Sure a lot of them do charity work, a lot of them are involved in their communities, and a lot of them are great people. I'm not arguing against that, but the fact remains these are the same people who will strike, hold out, sit out, etc. for bigger contracts and who knows what else. That tarnishes them to their fans and they don't give a ****, as long as they get that extra 0.25% increase, have the biggest contract, get the biggest bonus, etc. When you're a pro athlete you're looking out for #1 which is always yourself. If you think otherwise I'm not sure what to say to you.