The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mrelwooddowd
    I heard a story about a guy who drove some crazy distance to get his autograph one time in the final years of his career, and he waited for him outside the stadium and all that. He finally gets a chance, and finds out like a lot of others that McGwire doesn't give autographs to adults very often because he doesn't want people just selling it when there are kids waiting to get it that it means something to (I'm sure there are plenty of adults [myself included] that would love to get the autograph and keep it, but I see his point). So anyway, he refuses and explains himself, and the guy promises he is a fan and doesn't want to sell it, and again McGwire refuses because it's all or nothing for his rule. So the guy offers him $100 for it, and he again refuses..then changes his mind and tells him to make the check out to his foundation for abused kids, and signs the autograph.
    One other thing, McGwire sounds like a total prick. Who does that guy think he is? Seriously, what a jerkoff. How does treating your fans like **** make you a stand up guy? I've got a newsflash for him. 10 year old kids aren't paying money to go see him, it's adults. Sure maybe they bring their kids, but it's their money. A move like that is classless. It isn't any of his concern what happens to the autograph after he signs it. Someone can just as easily bring their kid or a neighbourhood kid and get his autograph and then go sell it. There are so many scenarios other than selling it for profit that it makes McGwire look like a joke. Who's to say that guy wasn't there to get it for his child at home for a gift?

Quote Originally Posted by Vido
    In Canseco's initial statements over a year ago, he said that something like 85% of MLB players used drugs. Regardless of the accuracy of the figure, that statement to me is acceptable...pinpointing a few guys is not.
    When those few guys are record holders and being compared to players from decades ago who didn't use AS then yes, their names should be pinpointed. Why would you want to protect them?

It's not about "getting caught". People are fools if they can't tell half these guys are juicing anyways. They shouldn't need any "proof".

Things don't change in life. When you're in grade 2 and you tell on the mean kid for calling you a "sally" you're a tattletale...when you're 40 years old and telling the world certain athletes are "cheating" you're still a tattletale. It's just pathetic IMO.
    When the general public hears a commentator on ESPN or a player on a sports team say something they generally believe it, whether it's true or not. That may be ignorant but at some point all of us have heard something and believed it and it turned out to be a lie. That includes you and me. The one who is primarily in the wrong is the person who is deliberately deceiving, not the deceived. I can't think of a good reason to enable a liar.

Things do change in life and this isn't the 2nd grade. So you're saying if someone tells on someone else's wrong doing then that's a bad thing? There'd be no whistleblowers against govt wrong doing (no matter the administration), cops would have a hell of a lot harder time finding information about criminals, etc. Back in high school a friend of mine was raped. Her best friend told on the guy that did it. Do you think she shouldn't have told on him? There are plenty of times when it's right to be the tattle tale. Granted, those are all a far cry more serious matter than baseball. But when a guy is breaking records, says he's natural but isn't, and his records are compared to the records to players who were natural, then he deserves to be thrust in the spotlight when info on his steroid use comes out. Otherwise you're just spitting on the players of the past. I could care less if all the players in baseball were using. That doesn't bother me. But if they are it should be out in the open. Hell, I've stated on this board many times I think steroids should be legal.
    "you are like my yoda." - chops

"you are not like yoda at all!" - chops

"shh...I'm only gay for pay" - ECTX

"no matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max" - bIgHwN86

My Journal

Banned
    Shane, the names I heard mentioned were the likes of Rafael Palmeiro, Pudge Rodriguez, and Juan Gonzalez. I'm sure he mentioned many more, but I don't know who all these "recordholders" you're talking about are. There's Bonds...and well, Bonds.

And I DO think that steroid use should be out in the open, which is why I like what Canseco is doing in his book. That being said, if a particular individual isn't comfortable with admitting to it, then it's no one else's business to force it out of him. It's a tough situation for Bonds because the public has such a negative image of steroids, and he's such a high-profile player. There's a BIG difference between him admitting to using and someone like Gabe Kapler (or any other relatively no-name guy) admitting it. 85% of players might use, but the public only really cares about a select minority of them.

Shane, the names I heard mentioned were the likes of Rafael Palmeiro, Pudge Rodriguez, and Juan Gonzalez. I'm sure he mentioned many more, but I don't know who all these "recordholders" you're talking about are. There's Bonds...and well, Bonds.
    Canseco mentioned McGwire too. I could care less if the other guys weren't record holders. They're going to be compared to players of the past so if they were using and it gets out, too bad. I find it hard to feel sorry for any modern MLB player over stuff like this.

"no matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max" - bIgHwN86

My Journal

Do that voodoo that he do
    For several years, especially with the Rangers, Gonzalez was a bigtime power hitter with quite a lean, muscular physique. Palmeiro is a model of consistant good, though not spectacular, play. Pudge is a pretty good hitting catcher, which says it all.
    Last edited by Isaac Wilkins; 02-16-2005 at 12:36 PM.
    Be a man. Be awesome at it. Be proud of it. Beyond the Barbell

"Borris is correct. That sounds logical if you ask me."
    -galileo

=And I DO think that steroid use should be out in the open, which is why I like what Canseco is doing in his book. That being said, if a particular individual isn't comfortable with admitting to it, then it's no one else's business to force it out of him. It's a tough situation for Bonds because the public has such a negative image of steroids, and he's such a high-profile player. There's a BIG difference between him admitting to using and someone like Gabe Kapler (or any other relatively no-name guy) admitting it. 85% of players might use, but the public only really cares about a select minority of them.
    If you don't name names, the statement is empty.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Borris
    For several years, especially with the Rangers, Gonzalez was a bigtime power hitter with quite a lean, muscular physique. Palmeiro is a model of consistant good, though not spectacular, play. Pudge is a pretty good hitting catcher, which says it all.
    I'm not following at all. Please explain.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane
    Canseco mentioned McGwire too. I could care less if the other guys weren't record holders. They're going to be compared to players of the past so if they were using and it gets out, too bad. I find it hard to feel sorry for any modern MLB player over stuff like this.
    lol, I guess they "could" be compared to players of the past, but I can't think of anyone who's actually going to be sitting around thinking "I wonder how Rafael Palmeiro would have fared if he played in the 50's.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Beebs
    If you don't name names, the statement is empty.
    You could just as easily make names up. How does naming anyone prove anything?

Banned
    Canseco chose to name names so he could sell his book, not bring awareness to the problem. For that reason he's a classless idiot. He could have easily outed the problem of drug use in MLB without naming names, but it wouldn't be as sensational. The bottom line is he's in it for himself. The general public want to hear about 3-4 "cheaters" and sit around discussing how they're ruining the game and how old timers would never do that, blah blah blah. If you want proof of that go look at what the media is covering. You only hear about the other players he has named. What about the fact he's claiming ~85% of players are juicing? No one seems to care.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt
    He could have easily outed the problem of drug use in MLB without naming names, but it wouldn't be as sensational.

He could also have outed the problem while he was playing. Oh, wait, but then there would have been consequences for him, too.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by shootermcgavin7
    He could also have outed the problem while he was playing. Oh, wait, but then there would have been consequences for him, too.
    Definitely. It's not like he intends anything good to come out of this, or did it for anything other than personal gains.

It's a tough situation for Bonds because the public has such a negative image of steroids, and he's such a high-profile player. There's a BIG difference between him admitting to using and someone like Gabe Kapler (or any other relatively no-name guy) admitting it. 85% of players might use, but the public only really cares about a select minority of them.
    except Gabe Kapler has a world series ring, and Bonds still doesnt muahahahahaha
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

If it can be imagined, it can be done. - Me

6'2"
    273 lbs.

That would take cajones the size of which Canseco doesn't have. Of course, not many of us would come out with that while playing considering the upside of being a popular player and the downside of everyone in your locker room hating you.

My Journal

article on ESPN.com about just a few of Jose's "facts". I'm willing to bet this book could be torn apart and called 95% bull****.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...=merron/050216
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

If it can be imagined, it can be done. - Me

6'2"
    273 lbs.

That would take cajones the size of which Canseco doesn't have. Of course, not many of us would come out with that while playing considering the upside of being a popular player and the downside of everyone in your locker room hating you.

No, that's why you come out later, when everyone in the locker room already hates you and you're so broke after pissing your money away that you have to try to sell "Day with Jose" so that you don't have to declare bankruptcy.

Then you write a book where you brag about how cool you used to be for 200 pages, and then throw random ex-teammates under the bus for 2 pages in order for people to buy it.

My $.02, and I'm sure this has been stated quite a few times now, Canseco is tool. He needs money, and he doesn't care how he gets it.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

No, that's why you come out later, when everyone in the locker room already hates you and you're so broke after pissing your money away that you have to try to sell "Day with Jose" so that you don't have to declare bankruptcy.

Then you write a book where you brag about how cool you used to be for 200 pages, and then throw random ex-teammates under the bus for 2 pages in order for people to buy it.
    Yup. I think we all agree the guys a doochbag.

My Journal

Honestly I don't see what the big deal is with the whole thing. Professional athletes uses steroids, wow, was it really a big suprise? Professional athletes have been arrested for murder, robbery, rape etc... Now there's a huge deal because people are starting to wake up and smell the coffee about how common steroid ussage probably is-that's a joke. Athletes are always going to perform better than those of the past for numerous reasons. Better understanding about injuries, better equipment, better training, the list goes on. Is it unfair, probably-but what can REALLY be done about it? Should they be exposed, no. Why? Because the general public knows zilch about steroids. Also, it's their own damn business, not the entire worlds. If everyone was educated then I would say sure, expose all of them because people will be able to make educated judgements, not judgements based on a video tape they saw when they were in 7th grade.

Quote Originally Posted by HahnB
    Athletes are always going to perform better than those of the past for numerous reasons. Better understanding about injuries, better equipment, better training, the list goes on.
    Totally different. All of those things are legal and there is no stigma against them. Athletes today are going to be better than they were in the past because of these things. But these methods are all out in the open, just as steroids should be.

Quote Originally Posted by HahnB
    Is it unfair, probably-but what can REALLY be done about it? Should they be exposed, no. Why? Because the general public knows zilch about steroids. Also, it's their own damn business, not the entire worlds. If everyone was educated then I would say sure, expose all of them because people will be able to make educated judgements, not judgements based on a video tape they saw when they were in 7th grade.
    This is the thing. Everyone on here is always bitching about how steroids are given a bad rap. Well, if that's the case, then what better way to increase their acceptance than for the reality of how commonly they are used to come out? Yes, it will be controversial at first but that's the way things that were previously taboo always are. But how do you expect people to become better educated without giving them a better grip on reality?
    Last edited by Shane; 02-16-2005 at 05:32 PM.

My Journal

The problem is that it's been beating into everyones head since they were a kid. People aren't going to educate themselves because of this, only pass judgement. If it would make a difference then I would say ok-expose everyone, but it's very unlikely that it will even make a dent.

I think it can make a dent. But it will take a while. It's not like after one or two incidents it will change. It will take years. But that's the only way to make real progress in anything. Most things don't change over night. So better to start now than never to do it at all. That's exactly why I don't mind this stuff coming out, provided it's accurate. If it's inaccurate then Conseco is twice the doochbag and he should be injected with 1000 grams of synthol through a 14 gauge needle.

My Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt
    Image has nothing to do with it. Taking AAS when you're a professional athlete is a no brainer. Athletes compete for money, fame and maybe some of them the love of the game. Everyone wants to leave their mark, they're willing to do anything to achieve that. Taking a performance enhancing drug helps a lot of guys to get to that next level. I doubt any player in the history of sports has ever considered what the fans or public would think of them if they did something. Everything a pro athlete does is self-serving. I would do the same as them as well if I were in their shoes, as would anyone else. Sure a lot of them do charity work, a lot of them are involved in their communities, and a lot of them are great people. I'm not arguing against that, but the fact remains these are the same people who will strike, hold out, sit out, etc. for bigger contracts and who knows what else. That tarnishes them to their fans and they don't give a ****, as long as they get that extra 0.25% increase, have the biggest contract, get the biggest bonus, etc. When you're a pro athlete you're looking out for #1 which is always yourself. If you think otherwise I'm not sure what to say to you.
    Image has EVERYTHING to do with taking steroids. Whether it's safe or not isn't the issue becuase it's ILLEGAL at this time, and whether you think it or not, some players DO care about their public image. Some players don't care as much about the money. Baseball players are people too, and aren't going to want their face all over television for anything other than a highlight reel. It may even make them upset if they were tuanted publicly for steroid use..wouldn't it bother you?

It's easy for you to call McGwire names for his policy on autographs, but have you ever been someone famous? I'd imagine not. How would you like to go sign a thousand or more autographs at some expo or card show on a Saturday, and Sunday morning see 900 of them on ebay for auction? I'm sure it's not that bad, but I'll bet he got sick of the commercialization of his name, and what the game has turned into. The easiest way to minimize that is to keep it for the kids, who for the most part are going to be pure of heart and looking for their hero's signature and not a quick monetary turnaround on their effort. That may not always be fair but I can understand it, and "if you think otherwise I'm not sure what to say to you." I guess we'd just have to agree to disagree as usual.

I think you're just taking the general public's image of a steroid user to base your assumptions on. There IS a lot of "a$$es with no social skills" that use drugs, but there's a lot of "normal, good-standing citizens" that do as well...just like there's a mixed bag of people who DON'T use drugs.
    The general public is all that matters in this case, unfortunately. Majority rules, and they are driven by the ESPNs of the world who for the most part are totally against steroids as well and badmouth users at every opportunity. This is exactly the point I'm trying to make. Based on personality alone, Bonds would be easir to believe as a user than McGwire.

Banned
    I think it can make a dent. But it will take a while. It's not like after one or two incidents it will change. It will take years. But that's the only way to make real progress in anything. Most things don't change over night. So better to start now than never to do it at all.
    I'm going to side with Shane here (had to happen sometime ).

I agree that this won't change the public's view of steroids drastically, but each little bit in the right direction counts. The opinion has been longstanding; one can't expect it to change overnight.