The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 76 to 98 of 98
  1. #76
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    White Rock, B.C.
    Posts
    3,664
    Quote Originally Posted by mrelwooddowd
    Image has EVERYTHING to do with taking steroids.
    Making a living has EVERYTHING to do with taking steroids. If you're not taking them, someone with basically equivalent talent will be, and he'll end up being the better player. That's a terrible attitude, but unfortunately it's reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by mrelwooddowd
    This is exactly the point I'm trying to make. Based on personality alone, Bonds would be easir to believe as a user than McGwire.
    That's the perception that needs to be changed.

  2. #77
    Super Moderator RBB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    NOVA
    Posts
    0
    I'm failing to see the correlation between one's personality and steroid use. I know some good guys that use, and some pricks that use. i'll agree with vido here, these guys are using to have a better career.

  3. #78
    mrelwooddowd Patz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    BFE, KY
    Posts
    9,845
    Quote Originally Posted by Vido
    Making a living has EVERYTHING to do with taking steroids. If you're not taking them, someone with basically equivalent talent will be, and he'll end up being the better player. That's a terrible attitude, but unfortunately it's reality.
    You guys keep misunderstanding my point. I KNOW there are nice guys using, and I KNOW it's become almost a requirement to stay in the game. I said that image has everything to do with it in McGwire's DEFENSE, meaning that his image in the public eye would be tarnished, and I don't think that he wants that. I don't think, based on what I know of him, that he wanted to risk losing the support to his foundation, etcetera, to stay competitive in baseball. I think he knew he could do it naturally, and did until he wasn't able any longer. I wasn't saying that it had to do with body image or vanity.



    That's the perception that needs to be changed.
    I agree, and again that's the point I was trying to make. Public opinion is swayed by lots of things like the media, and THAT's where it has to start (provided it's legalized first). It's never going to matter as long as it's illegal anyway, though.

  4. #79
    mrelwooddowd Patz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    BFE, KY
    Posts
    9,845
    Quote Originally Posted by RBB
    I'm failing to see the correlation between one's personality and steroid use. I know some good guys that use, and some pricks that use. i'll agree with vido here, these guys are using to have a better career.
    Not that this was ever the point I was trying to make (no one's paying attention today?), but regardless of how good a person you are, you are still breaking the law. It doesn't matter if the law is right or not, because it's the law. The bottom line is that Giambi knows he's not going to jail,and Bonds knows he won't either..so why not break the law? O.J. and Michael Jackson (well..MJ knew the FIRST time around) knew it too, although on a much more sinister scale, admittedly. Kobe wasn't worried about himself, and neither were the Lakers, yet he APOLOGIZED for the apparent misunderstanding?..what a moron. It makes me wonder if he's guilty of more than just being a sleaze to a beautiful wife, who I might add is either incredibly stupid or incredibly smart for staying with him.

    The bottom line is that mega-stars get away with it the first time, almost always and steroids are minor in the eyes of the law.

  5. #80
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    White Rock, B.C.
    Posts
    3,664
    Quote Originally Posted by mrelwooddowd
    Not that this was ever the point I was trying to make (no one's paying attention today?), but regardless of how good a person you are, you are still breaking the law.
    Technically, isn't the law that it's illegal to possess steroids, not use them?

  6. #81
    Super Moderator RBB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    NOVA
    Posts
    0
    I get your point now elwood. Obviously these guys are breaking the law. In McGwire's case, these allegations probably will tarnish his public image, which is something he definitely doesn't want to happen. It's just a shame that some scum like Canseco is the cause of it. It's not like he's doing this to make the general public aware of steroids in pro ball, he's not doing it for the good of the game. He's just doing it to try to fatten his pocket. Ratting out teammates (present or past) is just something you don't do. He could have made the public aware of the situation without calling people out.

  7. #82
    mrelwooddowd Patz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    BFE, KY
    Posts
    9,845
    Quote Originally Posted by Vido
    Technically, isn't the law that it's illegal to possess steroids, not use them?
    I think it is, but that covers the use side of it too unless you can download them straight into you. Of course I guess having them in your system is possession, too.

  8. #83
    Senior Member shootermcgavin7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    2,240
    Quote Originally Posted by HahnB
    Honestly I don't see what the big deal is with the whole thing. Professional athletes uses steroids, wow, was it really a big suprise? Professional athletes have been arrested for murder, robbery, rape etc..

    They're allowed to wait until the offseason to serve their time if they do something as petty as rape or murder someone, though.
    Last edited by shootermcgavin7; 02-17-2005 at 08:56 AM.

  9. #84
    mrelwooddowd Patz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    BFE, KY
    Posts
    9,845
    Quote Originally Posted by shootermcgavin7
    They're allowed to wait until the offseason to serve their time if they do something as petty as rape or murder someone, though.
    Or federal narcotics charges.

  10. #85
    Wannabebig Member GymRat1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    9
    I look foward to reading his book.

  11. #86
    Senior Member Manveet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    White Rock, BC
    Posts
    5,774
    Quote Originally Posted by Manveet

    Someone should teach him how to lift weights. For a guy that was on the special sauce, his physique was well below sub par. Who knows, with some proper training he probably could have elevated his game even more.
    I would like to retract this statement. I just saw a snippet of Canseco working out while flipping through the channels. He's a big and lean dude.
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

    Richard Dawkins


    "Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."


    Richard Dawkins


    "Bah. You know I hate poor people."

    Paul Stagg

  12. #87
    II MrWebb78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    The Big Sac
    Posts
    5,954
    Quote Originally Posted by Manveet
    I would like to retract this statement. I just saw a snippet of Canseco working out while flipping through the channels. He's a big and lean dude.
    was it a clip of him NOW? or back in the day? I always recall him being bigger than the average player, but not someone i would accuse of juicing.

    he had the physique of someone who was a dedicated athlete IMO.
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

    There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

    If it can be imagined, it can be done. - Me

    6'2"
    273 lbs.

  13. #88
    Super Moderator RBB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    NOVA
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWebb78
    was it a clip of him NOW? or back in the day? I always recall him being bigger than the average player, but not someone i would accuse of juicing.

    he had the physique of someone who was a dedicated athlete IMO.
    i agree. i've seen clips of him back in the day and he was pretty big. his physique didn't scream "steroids", but i'd say half the juicers i know really aren't all that big. i wouldn't expect a professional athlete to look like a pro bodybuilder, though. all that mass wouldn't be functional.

  14. #89
    Senior Member Manveet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    White Rock, BC
    Posts
    5,774
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWebb78
    was it a clip of him NOW? or back in the day? I always recall him being bigger than the average player, but not someone i would accuse of juicing.

    he had the physique of someone who was a dedicated athlete IMO.
    It was now, and he looked big and lean. He looks better now, then he did back then, judging by that short clip.
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

    Richard Dawkins


    "Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."


    Richard Dawkins


    "Bah. You know I hate poor people."

    Paul Stagg

  15. #90
    "Tuna Boy" NateDogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Central, MA
    Posts
    3,376
    Quote Originally Posted by Manveet
    It was now, and he looked big and lean. He looks better now, then he did back then, judging by that short clip.
    He was on Keith Olberman last night, only from the shoulders up, but he looks quite large and lean as well.
    "damn...can't beat logic like that.
    NAte is exactly right." - Tryska

  16. #91
    Senior Member Vapour Trails's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Winnipeg, Canada
    Posts
    812
    Wow, he sure has no probelm giving himself credit.
    That's a picture of Scarlett Johansson.

  17. #92
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    36
    Gabe Kapler looks like he has been usin somethin, Brady Anderson as well

  18. #93
    II MrWebb78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    The Big Sac
    Posts
    5,954
    Kapler is a good example of how steroids cannot make any player a great player.

    He can certainly hit the ball hard. IF he even hits it.
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

    There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

    If it can be imagined, it can be done. - Me

    6'2"
    273 lbs.

  19. #94
    Son of Krypton Majestic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,412
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWebb78
    Kapler is a good example of how steroids cannot make any player a great player.

    He can certainly hit the ball hard. IF he even hits it.
    Gabe Kapler may or may NOT be using gear, but he's been a bodybuilder since he was AA minor league player of the year in the Tigers' farm system back in 1998, back when it was (inaccurately) assessed as the #1 farm system in the league. In fact, he was on the cover of a fitness magazine before he even played in the majors with the Tigers, which made him the butt of playful jokes back then when the Tigers were supposedly being "resurrected".

    If you could clone one guy w/ Kirk Gibson's attitude, I would've guessed it to be Kapler, just based on early interviews and reviews. An absolute workout animal, a ferocious competitor, and an absolutely competitive prick.

    He and the closer we gave up (never panned-out) were reason enough for me to be p*ssed about trading for Juan Gonzales, I had that much faith in him.

    I feel badly that he sucks, even though he's not a Tiger. I think the guy was truly addicted to competing, and addicted to baseball.

    I'm ignorant regarding where his head is at now, as I've not read an interview in about 7 years. Regardless, it looks like he'll never amount to anything.

    Hey, maybe Kapler is a great example of an "average" athlete who used gear to buff-up his strength & speed, and use his average baseball skills to glide through highschool & college, only to get drowned in the pros. I don't know.

    I would consider Canseco the opposite. Judging by his twin brother, he's a guy who could glide through highschool & college, and even minor leagues on raw physical power, skill, and reflexes alone, and use gear to become a temporary All-Star.

    Then you've got Barry Bonds: a guy whose physical skill & senses, combined with professional tutoring, enabled him to be the best "all-around, 5-tool player" of his generation. Gear (and 20+ years of batting against professionals) enabled him to be the most ultimate offensive weapon at the plate that man has ever known. (Forget about defense or baserunning, though)

  20. #95
    Milk, Milk, Milk JeffWillConquer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    971
    I thought bonds was a pretty good baserunner. He's got a lot of steals doesn't he?
    Growing
    Age: 18
    Height: 5'11

  21. #96
    II MrWebb78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    The Big Sac
    Posts
    5,954
    Majestic, I would say kapler is still a competitive beast. re declined to resign with the Red Sox because he was tired of being a bench player, so he is now playing in Japan. the guy wants to play ball, just had nobody offering him a full time position. I really dont know if he uses gear or not, i was just replying to someone else using him as an example.

    Jeff, Bonds had a lot of steal when he was a natty and much lighter. Now he barely runs for anything.
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

    There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

    If it can be imagined, it can be done. - Me

    6'2"
    273 lbs.

  22. #97
    Son of Krypton Majestic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,412
    .......and MrWebb78 cleans up the mess.......

    Correct, my (sometimes) friend. As a quick reminder, 35 homers a year was outstanding *only* for a 5-tool player (which Bonds hasn't been for 5+ years). And that was pre juiced-ball era.....

    Bonds has been the worst (and ugly) human in baseball (eclipsing Canseco) for 10+ years now....I haven't a clue as to why anyone is defending him. He's absolutely the most miserably awful human being in all of baseball. I had the GQ magazine that he & Mays adorned from about 8 years ago, back when he was only hitting 35 homers, and Griffey Jr. was whacking a trillion. He was miserable back then, too.

  23. #98
    II MrWebb78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    The Big Sac
    Posts
    5,954
    Griff needs to go back and DH in the AL. if i'm not mistaken all his injuries have happened while in the outfield. I was really pulling for him to be the guy chasing the records.
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

    There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

    If it can be imagined, it can be done. - Me

    6'2"
    273 lbs.

Similar Threads

  1. Nutrition Book?
    By bentkarnes in forum Diet and Nutrition
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-14-2004, 05:34 AM
  2. The Bodybuilder's Nutrition Book
    By paisano in forum Diet and Nutrition
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 05-22-2003, 10:22 AM
  3. Which Calorie book to buy?
    By TommyLee in forum Diet and Nutrition
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-28-2003, 04:51 PM
  4. Keys to progress Book
    By Robert in forum General Chat
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-04-2003, 11:17 AM
  5. Lou Ferrigno's Opinion Of PUMPING IRON In His Book..
    By MonStar1023 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 01-08-2002, 03:21 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •