Thread: current state of Boxing

current state of Boxing

IMO Boxing took about a decade dive and was crappy for a long time. Now with more fights on HBO and Showtime and less fights on PPV, I think it's making a comeback. Heavyweight fighters still seem to suck, but welterweights and lighter classes are tearing it up right now.

Tonight I watched Miguel Cotto vs. Corley, Cotto getting the KO in rnd 5. He is an aggressive fighter like early Tyson years, but gets hit way too much. it was still an unbelievably offensive fight that had some amazing replay footage.

What does everyone think about Boxing rising from the ashes again? or did you ever think it was dead in the first place? I think there are a ton of "up and comers", but not necessarily any "huge" names now. The newest Spinks guy is awesome.

p.s. Roy Jones Jr sucks as an announcer, he only talks about himself.
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

If it can be imagined, it can be done. - Me

6'2"
    273 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by MrWebb78
    What does everyone think about Boxing rising from the ashes again? or did you ever think it was dead in the first place? I think there are a ton of "up and comers", but not necessarily any "huge" names now. The newest Spinks guy is awesome.

p.s. Roy Jones Jr sucks as an announcer, he only talks about himself.
    I totally agree about the lighter weight classes producing some really good fights and fighters lately. I'm still sour on the heavyweight division.

My personal favorites right now is Arturo Gatti and Bernard Hopkins. Spinks is a great fighter but I watched his ass get beat just a couple weeks ago. As for Roy Jones? One of the most cocky human beings on the planet and dumb to boot (I'm thinkin the guy was dumb BEFORE taking up boxing, which is really telling on his current cognitive abilities).
    "The only sin which we never forgive in each other is difference of opinion."
    -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Word.

Boxing as a whole is getting to a wider audience, since they are airing many shows on showtime and hbo...not to mention the huge MMA fanbase that is growing, is also carrying over to boxing as well.

Good to see a fellow boxing enthusiast, that is my sport of sports.

Missed the Cotto fight tonight, but read up about it. Heard it was pretty exciting while it lasted and Corley hurt Cotto.

As for Roy, ha...yea he is an egomaniac, even after getting knocked the f*ck out twice in a row....Rumor has it he will be fighting before the year is over. I am still a Roy fan though...as cocky as he is, he still is a smooth talker, not loud and brash...I would love to see him come back and win a fight emphatically....

IMO, boxing amongst boxing fans is doing very well. Like you said, the lighter weight classes have some real talent in them. Even cruiserweight is starting to make a little noise. However, I'm afraid that without a stronger heavyweight class it will continue to suffer a bit with the general public. That's just the class that the average joe shmoe sports nut follows. It's not even that there aren't good heavies out there, there just isn't one man cleaning house, which is all it needs to attract the general public.

heh, as for Roy, well...don't know if he's dumb, but he's not announcer material. He's not a very fluent, and colorful with his commentary. I'd rather listen to Foreman(and he's pretty bad too) cause at least he can relate his experience, and give a little insight, to what the fighters in the ring are going threw. Roy just sort of tells the obvious and hypes himself.
    My Journal
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil,...Cuz I'm the baddest motherf***er in the valley!
    "The wait in the dressing room before a boxing match --that last hour -- would be enough to strip a man that never boxed before of whatever Pride, Desire, and Heart he THOUGHT he had" -John Scully
    "It takes no effort to be ordinary. Ordinary is not even a challenge. You can do nothing and be ordinary."- Bernard Hopkins

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    Just haven't gotten into it since Tyson's prime.

He was such a character - that's what they need, a man who can fight like a madman and back it up with an interesting character.
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

"All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

Pearls of Wisdom...

Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

And no COLON jokes, bastards!

Totally agree about Roy Jones. I didn't know WTF he was talking about half of the time in the Hopkins fight, but it didn't seem very relevant.

I'd much rather watch K1 these days.

People wonder why I call myself Mr. T. One dude asked, 'does the T stand for tough?' I said no. Another dude asked if the T stands for my last name, Tureaud. No it does not. The 'T' in Mr. T stands for tuna. T loves tuna.

hmm, I like to be big!!!
    LOL moving fights from PPV to HBO and showtime doesnt' help me because I don't have those channels
    Chris Mason is my master.....

American cars are like fat people, sure, they have a lot of power, but they're not built well, and they have all that useless weight, plus they make both make funny noises.

feel free to aim me, nejar462 im on a lot. Don't know much to warn you dudes, but im good at conversations.

Belial in reference to Ronnie Coleman, "Some people say he still has blood in his steroid stream, but I doubt it. Gas isn't one of the side effects, but that massive bloated overly muscular freak of nature circus sideshow appearance might be what tips most people off."

Quote Originally Posted by Gyno Rhino
    Just haven't gotten into it since Tyson's prime.

He was such a character - that's what they need, a man who can fight like a madman and back it up with an interesting character.
    When Tyson went to jail, or rather when he got knocked out by Douglas, that's when Boxing started it's nose dive IMO. It is starting to dig itself out of it's grave though.

I would love to see 3 or 4 new great heavyweights come up. but until then I will settle for the new round of lighter weight guys. Gatti is the man.
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

6'2"
    273 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by nejar462
    LOL moving fights from PPV to HBO and showtime doesnt' help me because I don't have those channels
    darnit get cable. they have fights every saturday night one one of the channels. plus you can watch the ESPN fights when they have them. or watch the mexican channels and listen to boxing in spanish.(yes i have been that desperate for entertainment before)

6'2"
    273 lbs.

The best fights I have ever seen were the Gatti vs Ward fights.
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

Wannabebig New Member
    Funny , I can barely watch boxing today , especially the heavy weights .

I was watching pride the other night and quinten Jackson fought Ninja Rua . Jackson was given the decision ( although he lost ) and the second they announced his name as the winner , he was shaking his head "no way" and he told Rua that Rua won . He was trying to give the trophy to Rua as they were walking out . Boxing hasnt had that in a long time .

A dude will get his ass kicked and complain that he won .
    Give me your broken , give me your beaten ... I will build them up , I will lead them ... to the threshhold . Make you stronger , make you believe .

I think the growing popularity of UFC, Pride, or any of the other brutal fighting sports, makes boxing look less exciting since they are just punching (biting if youre Tyson). I guess most folk today would rather watch a more brutal fight with punches, kicks, headbutts, etc instead of two dudes standing off and swinging.

I just like to watch fighting since Im a sissy.

6'2"
    273 lbs.

I'd rather watch a stand up Muay Thai fight than boxing, not just MMA.

Boxing really has devolved from a somewhat entertaining sport with personalities and drama to a somewhat entertaining sport without the extra interest. There are now too many other options for entertainment, and it will remain a niche.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

boxing took a dive in the past ten years? i disagree.

this may be true for the casual fan who is only interested in the heavyweight division, which is admittedly lacking, but the lighter weights have always provided the better fights imo.

that cotto-corley fight was chaotic. it may have been stopped too early, but corley sure didn't seem like he wanted to fight anymore.

i love hbo boxing, but damn, their announcers are so biased towards the hbo guys. corley was catching cotto nicely in the first few rounds and they barely mentioned it.

and yeah, i don't know what in the hell roy jones was talking about during the hopkin fights but i believed he's bordering on insanity.