Thread: I am feeling overwhelmed...

Wannabebig Member

I am feeling overwhelmed...

I am having a hard time figuring out what I should be eating..I have read the stickies, but still am feeling like I need some help...

I am currently 241lbs, 5'10". I am a carpenter so my work day can be pretty physical...I am going along the lines of what I have read the past few days I have found out how many calories I need per meal

242x12= 2904 Calories per day..

I am hoping to drop some weight, so I figured for week one I would drop my intake to 2500 calories(does that sound right?)

So divide that by 5 meals..that is 500 cals per meal...I know I can lower one meals cals, but I have to add it to another meals total.

.The thing I am having trouble with is how do I figure what each meal should be? When do I eat what? How do I calculate how many grams of protien, carbs, and fat I should be having with each meal...I am just not understing this yet..

If any one can help I would greatly appreciate it..

thanks

Trying to learn on the fly
    the x12 factor is for weight loss, so just stick with that number. as far as what to have at each meal, that is for you to decide. you should get at least 1g/pound of bodyweight so at least 240g protein(960 cals), 20-30% of your cals should come from fat(580-870 cals or 64-97g fats), and the rest from carbs. you can divide this up however you want but most people beleive that you shouldn't have high fat and high carbs in the same meal(do some reading and decide if you agree). you want to make sure to get carbs and protein in the morning and post workout. you decide how to break up the rest

It would be helpful if you could post what you are currently eating. Also, if you haven't already checked out www.fitday.com to track your calories, it is a good place to get started.

most people beleive that you shouldn't have high fat and high carbs in the same meal(do some reading and decide if you agree).
    Combining fat and carbs is not a problem. Your macronutrient breakdown should depend on your needs. There is not a problem combining fat and carbs in the same meal. (Just ask ryuage )
    The world acording to prune

If you can't be a good example, at least be a terrible warning.

Wannabebig Member
    Breakfast: coffee w/skim and sugar maybe a bagel with low fat cream cheese...or nothing
    Lunch: S Sub from a pizza shop..usually chix salad or roast beef. or ah hamburger w fries
    Dinner: Some kind of meat usually chix or steak...with a veggie and a starch potato or rice...some times for dinner I eat quick sandwich...If i'm in a hurry.

What kills me is snacking in the evenings and sugary drinks(soda,etc)

also, I drink once a week probably 12-15 beers on a saturday night..

I know my diet is crap, but that is why I am here. I guess I need for someone to explain these things to me..I have been reading for the past couple of days but, I still am confused..

Trying to learn on the fly
    Quote Originally Posted by pruneman
    Combining fat and carbs is not a problem. Your macronutrient breakdown should depend on your needs. There is not a problem combining fat and carbs in the same meal. (Just ask ryuage )

i said SOME people think this way and for him to read and decide on his own. i didn't say it was true

Quote Originally Posted by Tamel Co.
    Breakfast: coffee w/skim and sugar maybe a bagel with low fat cream cheese...or nothing
    Lunch: S Sub from a pizza shop..usually chix salad or roast beef. or ah hamburger w fries
    Dinner: Some kind of meat usually chix or steak...with a veggie and a starch potato or rice...some times for dinner I eat quick sandwich...If i'm in a hurry.

What kills me is snacking in the evenings and sugary drinks(soda,etc)

also, I drink once a week probably 12-15 beers on a saturday night..

I know my diet is crap, but that is why I am here. I guess I need for someone to explain these things to me..I have been reading for the past couple of days but, I still am confused..
    You need to stay away from the fries..lol

You absolutely need to be taking in at least a gallon of water per day..a gallon is approximately 135 oz, so do the math. drink it like a bottle at a time over the course of the day..it doesn't help to drink a ton at once.

You need to cut out the sugary drinks. Sugar is not the enemy, but those are a waste, and do nothing but put you on a sugar hig and screw with your diet. Once your body gets used to all that water coming in over the course of the day, you'll want it all the time..it's necessary to keep your motor running smoothly and your body doesn't like not having it after you get properly hydrated.

beer is beer..do what you've gotta do i guess, and if it's hindering your training you can address that later-on. I've never drank (epilepsy), but my wife does, and once a week isn't much. Maybe adjust your diet accordingly to compensate for the added calories, and look for a low-carb beer since you'll be drinking at night most likley.

Snack on something like cottage cheese, as it's very filling, and high in protein. If you hate it, then go for something like natural peanut butter, which isn't too bad and contains no added sugars or preservatives. You can find it at wal-mart..smuckers make it, and it's cheap.

Drink lots of water. it'll aid in digestion and keep you hydrated. it'll also help curb your soda drinking habit (I suffer from that one too)

definitely eat breakfast, and make sure you have about 30g of protein at breakfast...something like egg whites with a few yolks thrown in, turkey sausage or turkey bacon. and Milk counts as protein too. Look at MRP's or protein shakes which are more than just whey.

aside from your job, are you doing any 'true' exercise? carpentry is certainly laborous, but it's not cardio...and a good weight training and cardio regimen is the way to effectively lose weight.

Wannabebig Member
    Well, after reading and reading, and reading, and reading, and reading the past three days, I am still confused....

I am in need of some help...

how many calories should I be eating? is 2900 the right number? I have been reading that i need to drop my coloric intake by 300-500 to lose weight...???

Honestly, i have been getting headaches from all the reading I have been doing...

I dont understand the whole split thing..40/40/20...??

How many shakes should I have daily? I get different answers from every person I talk to... I am trying to lose fat and get lean..I am positive I have a very high bodyfat %...
    How do I know how much food I need at any given time?

Also, Thanks so far for the help

aside from your job, are you doing any 'true' exercise?
    No, not yet..I am joining the gym this thursday...
    Last edited by Tamel Co.; 02-15-2005 at 06:32 PM.

Banned
    Im 155 pounds and I eat 3200 calories a day...
    2900 calories for a guy your size seems VERY low, even if you are trying to lose weight.

The key is to eat healthy foods, high in protein (protein speeds up the metabolism) and eat at least 6 smaller meals a day (speeds up the metabolism as well, keeps you filled, and gives you energy).

Also, like the guys said, drink LOTS of water (make sure your urine is never yellow, or at very least very bright yellow. if its orange or dark yellow you are very dyhadrated).

Keep in mind that eating speeds up the metabolism, I know its a hard concept to grasp but its true. If you eat 3000 calories a day, for example, and you drasticly change it to 2000 calories, your metabolism will slow down. Thus once you start eating more you will gain the weight back. The key is to exercise, not necessarly cut A lot of calories (cut a little, but not as much as youre cutting). Like someone said, make sure you do cardio at least 3 times a week to (guess what) speed up your metablism and burn calories.

Hope that helps
    Last edited by darius19; 02-15-2005 at 06:55 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    I understand pretty much what you have said...I am confused with amounts of foods, and more importantly, what food I should be eating at what times...Also, what about my protien shakes? Shuld be drinking 2 or 3?

Here is what I ate today..tell me if this is ok

7:00 am
    Protien shake

10:00
    protien shake

1:00
    Salad w balsamic vin dressing
    2 hard boiled eggs

4:00
    Skipped by accident

7:00
    Two Broiled pork chops
    asparagus
    hormel turkey chili

10:00
    not yet

thinking of either shake, or cottage cheese..

I know I should have eaten at 4:00 but i forgot..I am definitely trying to change my eating habits, but got sidetracked this afternoon..

I had the two shakes back to back because it was recomended by a friend of mine who used to weight train..Is it ok to do that?

I know I should have a shake later on in the day, but I have not started lifting yet..does that matter?

How do I calculate what carbs I need during my day? what is trhe formula?

thanks
    Last edited by Tamel Co.; 02-15-2005 at 07:35 PM.

The shakes aren't a necessary part of your diet. They are only added in to get your protein intake for the day up to where it needs to be, which in your case is somewhere over 250g a day if you're working out. You can get all that protein from food too, so the shakes ren't even necessary. You should try to get as much of it from food as possible because that's where you are picking pu valuable nutrients and such. I have one shake a day with 66g of protein due to a cup of oats, and the skim milk in it..I just have one though. Chicken breasts, and any other meat and loaded with protein, so that should be a key ingredient in pretty much every meal unless you're doing natural peanut butter or eggs etc. Your calorie level looks about right at 2900 for safe weight loss. I'm 245, and have been trying to keep mine just under 3000 as well.

You've gotta eat some food at your first meal of the day, and save your shake for post-workout, or even pre-workout. Two shakes in a row isn't doing much for your metabolism I don't think, although I could be wrong on this. The purpose of eating throughout the day, and not letting yourself get hungry is the the metabolism speeds up because you are making it constantly work without actually taking in more food/calories than a normal day.

If you are looking to put on muscle in the gym, get the proper amount of protein among other things which I'm not scholed enough to go into.

If you just wnat to drop weight while minimizing the loss of the muslce mass you already have(which I think you do), then get your cardio in at the gym at least 3 times a week at your current caloric level, maintain the protein level established for your bodyweight, and hit the weights but don't expect to make any major gains in size or strength while losing bodyweight.

Make sure you drink the water, take a multivitamin, and keep the meals going like arranged to keep the fat-burning process kicking.

I'm not too sure about the carbs..I think it's in the 150-200 range, and stay away from them after 6-7pm so you aren't sleeping on carb-energy.