The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Full Squats for Strength & Development by Keith Wassung - Feb 16th 2005

The full squat is one of the best overall movements for producing both strength and development not only in the legs, but for the overall body. Keith explains just why you NEED to be squatting!

You can find it at: http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=194

Discuss and enjoy!
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

cut block extraordinaire
    Squats are King!

"Preparations

Your squat workout should begin about an hour after the completion of your most recent squat workout. "

???

hammin'
    I think that's mostly in reference to 'mental' preparation
    They say that when your ships comes in
    The first man takes the sails
    Second takes the afterdeck
    The third: the planks and rails.

so does anyone agree with his idea of the high-rep squats? i've never tried them

high rep squats are fun

Brutal and not for the faint hearted, some strangely satisfying. If you have never tried them before it would be an interesting change for you also.

Give them a go!

Personally if I did 20 rep squats, I would only perform 1 set of them though.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

Sweating and grunting...where you should be.
    wow, that was a good article, and I just switch my chest and leg workout so i can get to it tonight. I've denied doing them for TOO long
    HT: 6'3 / WT: 265lbs 16%BF

"Somewhere along the line, we seem to have confused comfort with happiness."

MMA Guru
    - I like girls -

Try 10x3 with 10-15 sec rest between sets if yer brave enough lol.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

Wannabebig Member

Hig-Rep Squats

I just finished a 7-week cycle of high-rep breathing squats; it's supposed to be 6; but I ended up doing one more week. Honestly I was a little skeptic; after reading and hearing about them for a while, I bought the book Super Squats which outlines the program.

My strength gains were actually quite impressive. I put on about 15lbs as well; but I am also bulking and some of that was fat (I did not measure my body fat before and after).

The program is basically this...What you do it you take your 10-rep max and do it for 20x. It sounds crazy; but that's basically the program. You really focus on your breathing and the set can take a long time. You really need a partner there to help you finish your set. At rep 10, you're thinking there is no way you can go on; at rep 15 your body is shaking and you're sweating bullets, and rep 16-20 I doubt you could even tell someone your name. But damn it feels good to hit all 20. Every workout that you hit 20-reps you add 5-20 lbs to the bar. I was able to hit the mark every time; but sometimes the last few reps weren't picture perfect. The book goes into a lot more details with TONS of research as well as some tips and inspiration.

I documented all my lifts throughout the 7 weeks. I did a three day split; squatting on 2 out of the 3 workouts. Day 1 was squats / chest & tris, Day 2 back & bis Day 3 squats and shoulders. I took a day off after every workout and 2 days off after day three.

Week 1: 225, 245
    Week 2: 275, 285
    Week 3: 295, 305
    Week 4: 315, 320
    Week 5: 325, 335
    Week 6: 355(Old 1RM), 360
    Week 7: 365 x 20

Every other exercise I increased in strength as well. I am true believer of the high-rep squat program. My lifting partner is a smaller hard-gainer and he put on about 8-9lbs of muscle during the program and also had quite impressive strength gains. Not bad for 7 weeks....
    Matt
    Fightauthority.com

full squats are great and all, but my left knee is now totally screwed

Welcome To Jamrock!!!! bIgHwN86's Avatar
    fightauthority: do you warm up to your set of 20reps....and how do you get there?

Wannabebig Member
    I did about 5-10 minutes on the bike first and did 3 sets of warmup squats.

What do you mean by "How did I get there?"
    Last edited by Fightauthority; 04-01-2005 at 12:41 PM.
    Matt
    Fightauthority.com

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fightauthority
    What do you mean by "How did I get there?"
    I think he was asking how your progression was until you hit the set of 20 reps.

I'm actually quite interested in high rep squatting. After your 7 week program of high rep squatting, what did you switch to?

And with 20 rep squats, do you only have one work set...or do you do multiple sets of 20 rep squats?
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 04-01-2005 at 03:18 PM.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Welcome To Jamrock!!!! bIgHwN86's Avatar
    fightauthority: fixation was right...how was your progression....

fixation: only one rep set...any more would be deadly

Wannabebig Member
    After the bike I did:

135x10 (1min rest)
    185X10 (1min rest)
    185x10 (3min rest)
    20 rep squats

As I went up in poundage I either did another warmup of 225 or changed the 3rd warmup to 225. After I loaded the bar for the 20-reps, I would put on an extra 45 on each end and just take it off the rack and hold it for about 30 secs; just to feel the weight. I would then remove them and immediately start the reps. I helped make the set a little easier.

After the 7 weeks (2 Saturdays ago) I took / taking 2 weeks off from squats completely. I will resume squatting next week.

Edit: About the multiple sets; you'd be ****ing crazy or just really.... ****ing crazy. After that one set you are seriously spent.
    Last edited by Fightauthority; 04-01-2005 at 09:30 PM.
    Matt
    Fightauthority.com

Hello
    Damm thats some great progress 365 for 20 reps thats crazy i tried 20 rep squats once with 225 and that was tough enough.

Your 1rm squat must be around 500, did your other lifts go up to?

Bench: 1 x 255
    Squat: 1 x 345
    Deadlift: 2 x 440
    Dip: 2 x 90

Wannabebig Member
    Everything went up! I was shocked. My biggest improvement was my bench as well. I was stuck at 245 (3-4 reps) forerver; I am now able to do 315 for 2. I was also doing a cycle of creatine those weeks; and had upped my protein intake to 1.5 grams x lb of bodyweight. I put on some fat too; but definetely good muscle and tons of strength.

I have not tested my 1RM for squat.

Also, you have to understand that not every rep of 365 was perfect. I strive to have perfect form; but on some reps that just didn't happen. My main goal was to complete the 20 no matter what. On the last few reps my thighs my not have been paralell.
    Matt
    Fightauthority.com

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    What about doing 20-rep ATF Squats? Would that be a good idea?
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Wannabebig Member
    I did "regular" squats. I did not do ATF squats. I have not tried them with 20-reps.
    Matt
    Fightauthority.com