The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig New Member

No energy anymore

I used to take karate a few years ago when I was 13 and at my peak, I was able to do about 50 pushups in one try. I stopped karate and now I have been doing a lot of bodybuilding, and it has been working pretty well for me. The problem is, I can barely pump out 8 pushups now because my triceps, forearms, and shoulders get incredibly weak and shaky. It's the feeling that you have been working out too long and you haven't eaten anything that day. But I eat almost non stop nowadays and I'm a lot more fit than I have ever been. My dad told me that it could be because I'm 16 and my body needs a lot more energy, but I'm not too sure. Even when I don't workout a lot, my arms get really shakey.

Do you know whats going on and what I can do to fix it?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wy do you want to do more pushups?
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Well Darymi, how often do you workout? It sounds like you are overtraining. If you are working out to much, not only are you gonna be burning alot more calories, your not giving your body time to recover.. and im sure that could cause this shakiness you are experienceing. You should try and keep at least 2-3 days between working the same muscle groups. Alot of people on the boards will only work for example chest once a week. So you should probably only be doing chest, tricep, and/or biceps once to twice a week. Any more than this will probably be overtraining. Give us an idea of what you are doing per week and about how much you are eating and maybe we can throw out some more suggestions.

Wannabebig New Member
    The reason I am wanting to do more pushups is because I'm rejoining karate and pushups are a big part of that.

I workout everyday. Right now I'm using a total gym and I am working the chest, shoulders, and biceps on one day. Then I'm working the triceps, back, and legs on the other day. I will be getting a set of dumbells and a barbell with about 110 lbs of weight in a couple days to get a more complete range of workouts.

I eat 4-5 meals a day usually rice and chicken, and I drink whey protein drinks, about 3 times a day.

I've been feeling tired for a couple months now, I used to just come home after school and sleep.

Yea man, seems like your overtraining. Why dont you do something like, Chest and shoulders on day 1, biceps and forearms on day 2, and tricep and back on day 3, then rest 2 days. Or any combination of that.. but the key is, you need to let your body rest. If you do not let your body recover then not only will you not gain muscle.. but you will feel like you do now.. tired and worn out. It sounds like you eat a decent amount per day... but it also sounds like you are picky with what you eat.. if you are trying to put on weight you dont really need to worry about trying to eat really lean foods.. just eat alot.

I dont think he is really overtraining, I would say you can't do as many pushups anymore because you stopped doing them, and the total gym is not really gonna do much for you.

he said that hes working out (with resistance training) every day of the week.. with no rest days. And though the fact that he doesnt do pushups could cause him to be able to do less.. but that doesnt account for his tiredness.. overtraining would account for both.

B+D+S = 1 Massive Mofo
    Most likely its due to overtraining, or not enough rest in between your workouts. By building your upper body strength you should be able to do more pushups than usual. Just start doing pushups more often, you should get back to your old goal soon.
    Last edited by pfc3rex; 04-02-2005 at 12:39 AM.
    Past (4Jul05) | Present (22Nov05)
    Weight - 205 | 217
    BF - 26% | 22%
    Max Bench - 230| 295
    Max Dead - 240 | 275
    Max Squat - 240 | 315
    Total: [710] | [885]

Disciple#1
    Whats your diet like? Do you take a multi-vit? Amazing how much it can help if you dont.

Like others say it could be overtraining, but it could also be that your body simply doesnt react well to endurance training any more. Lifting (as you probably know) recruits Fast twitch muscle fibres, so if your Slow twitch muscle fibres are not being worked on a regular basis then your muscles wont react well to endurance/stamina training for the time being.

I could be wrong but it's another possibility
    You never know what you can do, until you try to do more than you can.

Wannabebig New Member
    Nah.. you can't expect to keep up with push ups by doing weights alone? Do pushups every night, as many as you can. Count them in sets of ten. Ie, 10, 20, 30, 40. Pump them out fast, try to better yourself each night. You'll get there.

Nah.. you can't expect to keep up with push ups by doing weights alone? Do pushups every night, as many as you can. Count them in sets of ten. Ie, 10, 20, 30, 40. Pump them out fast, try to better yourself each night. You'll get there.
    I dont know if agree man.. To be honest i have no experience with the coralation between lifting and its effects on something like pushups. I would imagine it would be more of a combination? lets say he can do 2 x 145 right now on a flat bench.. if in a years time he can do lets say 3 x 225 wouldnt you expect him to do a hell of alot more pushups? I agree with you that he should be doing pushups to gain the endurance.. but I think the weights are a valuable assest.

^^^ from my excperience in weightlifting, i have not been able to increase my pushups at all since ive been lifting weights. i never do pushups and i can bench 260 at 150lbs. i can maybe do about 50. i remember i could do more in like 3rd grade