The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

weights for skinny teens

hi everyone, i couldn't think of a better title for this thread. anyway, i'd like to know what weights do people like me (between 5'7 and 5'11, under 150lbs) lift as their 6-10 reps set, in these exercises:

bench presses (i lift 100lbs weights for like 8 reps)
    squats (95lbs)
    lateral raises (i don't remember)
    delts presses (i don't know the exact name, is the exercise for delts, in which you lift two dumbells over your head) (i don't know how much weight i lift)
    standin calf raises
    flies
    curls

add other exercises if u want

thanks to everybody

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

That's not really a fair question 'cause people's strength levels are going to be different anyways.....Some people are 'small' but strong and there are guys who are 'bigger' but may not be that strong......

More importantly, don't be too concerned with what weight you think you 'should' be lifting and concentrate on the weights you ARE CURRENTLY lifting....regardless of where you start, they will go up if you workout and eat regularly. Not only that but most people around here aren't going to make a judgement call based on the numbers you lift....like I said, everyone is at different levels.

As for exercises....I would add chins, dips, some sort of row (i'm partial to barbell rows) and deadlifts as those are some of the best mass building exercises out there.

Well this is a tough question to answer because strength varies a great deal. If you go check out Chris' journal in the Power/Olympic Lifting section (sticky at the top) you will see that he is probably the strongest person lb for lb here on WBB, and he is around 150 (if i remember correctly). So my point is that you cant really put a number on it. I think the best person to compare yourself to is, well, yourself. Keep a journal, track your progress, and pat yourself on the back when you improve (get stronger) each week. Who cares what everyone else is pushing. Just as long as you are hitting the gym hard each day, consistently, should be all that matters to you.
    Current Stats --------------- Training Goals: Improve athletic conditioning.
    Squat - 305lbs - 1/23/06 ----- 335
    Deadlift - 415lbs - 2/4/06 ---- 435
    Bench - 90s*7 ----------------- 100s*5
    Weight - 208 ------------------ 190
    Height - 5'10"

My Journal|My Routine|My FitDay
    WBBB|"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" - Thomas Edison

i'm sorry, i didn't make myself clear enough this isn't meant to be a contest... i don't go to a gym, but i work at home, with a bench, a pair of dumbells, a barbell and some free weights... so i wouldn't even have a possibility to win an eventual contest. it's just that i want to know, to see what my situation is... that's why i'm not askin' to professional body builders, but preferably to people like me who work just to become less skinny

Regardless if you lift at home or at the gym, the same things that we both have said hold true. The weights will vary so much so just as long as you are giving 110% than your situation is fine. If you goal is to gain some size "become less skinny" then you should be keeping an eye on the number of cals you are eating as well. Everyone has to start somewhere, so progression is the key. If you are making progress then that is all that matters.
    Height - 5'10"

WBBB|"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" - Thomas Edison

yes, but what i find difficult is to recognize whether or not i've reached failure... that's why i want to know what weights provokes failure to you guys... i mean, what i think is failure for me in dumbell bench presses is 6 reps with 44lbs (20 kgs) in each hand... is it possible? it sounds too low, so maybe it's not real failure and i should try to go on and not end the set, although it seems to me that i can't...

Its about the naked thing! FireBug's Avatar
    jay-x, failure will differ from person to person just as strengh/endurance will change between person to person. Failure, is when you simply can not conceive of lifting the weight again. If 44lbsx6 is what it takes you to get to failure, then more power to you.
    Stats:
    Height: 6'
    Weight: 198lbs
    Current Cycle: Cut

Goals|Current
    ATF Squat: 350lbs|315X2
    DB Bench: 120|105X4
    DL: 450|345x8

Wannabebig Member
    What they are saying and you don't seem to understand is that strength isn't the same for everything. One person can weight 160 and bench 300, while another guy can weight 240 and only bench 200. The people can also weigh the same and have very different maxes. When going to failure you just go until you can't do it again.

so maybe it's not real failure and i should try to go on and not end the set, although it seems to me that i can't...
    If you can't do the weight again then it is real failure. If you are are on the 5th rep and you quit because you are tired but could do more than that isn't failure its just quitting.
    Age-16 (17 on 4/2/05)
    Height-5'11"
    Weight-230
    -----------
    1 Rep Max (as of 3/27/05)
    -----------
    Bench-210
    Squat-300
    Powerclean-205

Did you try for 7 with the 44s? If you did, and didnt get it, then you failed ( = failure). So then next week you shoot for 7, or whatever your goal might be.
    Height - 5'10"