The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Help on a routine for football??

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi, new to the board. I am going to be trying out for semi-pro football in the late spring. I am asking for any advice, opinions on a good routine to get me back into shape. I have checked around the internet, and searched for "sport specific" routines, but everybody wants money for a routine. A little about me, I am 6'5", 265 lbs. 23 years old. I played football in high school, but never really worked out ( I relied on my size (bigger than most kids)) I would say I am in good shape, just a little thick in the midsection. ;-) From what I have read, the most important area for me to train is the "trunk". Legs, abs, back, chest and shoulders. Heavy weight, and some plyometrics. Is this correct? I will be going out for either Defensive End or Linebacker. Any help/advice is MUCH appreciated. Thanks in advance!
    Justin

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Senior of Kinesiology
    Well, to build serious strength make sure that your routine includes bench press, squats, and deadlifts. Its late here so I'm going to sleep now... I'll have more advice later
    Meet PR: 290lb bench press, 505lb dead lift @ 190lbs

Current Training: Yoga and Weightlifting

5'11'', Male, 175lbs, age 22

3:16
    two justinF now on the site can we handle the cack effect.

practise squats, to help give good lenght strenght and core body strenght.
    row and pull up to get back stronger.
    bench to build up chest
    over head press to build up shoulders.
    I do not know your specific goals as never played american football.

Thoyugh doing lots of crunchie/situps will not make your stomach smaller or particulary strong either. to get your midesction storng do wiehgted side bends etc - do a weight you can do about 3-6 reps with. though going to high will push you to more a hyeptrophy than pure strenght so keep reps low.
    to make

i do not know if you need cardio or not. if you do practise some.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

Thanks for the replies. Any advice on how many/which exercises I should be doing for each bodypart? Heavy weight for 6-8 reps? Lower weight for 12-15 reps? As far as cardio, I already have that down. I run between 3-5 miles every other day, with some sprints on the field thrown in. (Just started 2 weeks ago) Thanks again guys!
    Justin

wait..so confused....someone with cack's name, and quite gino-esque as well......how curious....

anyways...welcome justin.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

Is it possible to have someone's name? I tried just "Justin" at first, but it said that name was taken. Pardon me, but can I ask what "gino-esque" is? Thanks for the welcome. Good to be here.
    Justin

hey there...want me to delete that other thread?

anyways...yeah, one of our regulars here (cakerote) uses justinf as his name on some other boards..it's his real name too......

as for gino-esque....well gino is another member here...and if i remember correctly he plays semi-pro football in mass. similar stats as you too.

neither of them have been around lately though, otherswise they would have piped up, i'm sure....

except ginos a powder keg right? i was thinking hes under 6ft
    Blocka Blocka

I am AMINAL

LOL...I thought it was Cack reincarnated too

yeah...i don't think they are the same height..but still what are the chances..too bad he's on the road right now......

Well, JustinF is my real name to. Go figure. Small world after all. Do you happen to knoe what team Gino plays for?

i'm not really sure, but i think he lives in or near springfield....

This is the split I decided on. Can anyone give me feedback, additions or different suggestions? Thanks. Learned a lot already from reading back posts. Great Site!

DAY1: CHEST/BI'S
    FLAT BENCH, INCLINE BENCH, DECLINE BENCH, DUMBELL FLIES, PREACHER CURLS, STANDING BARBELL CURLS, REVERSE CURLS.

DAY2: CARDIO/ABS

DAY3: LEGS
    SQUATS, LEG EXTENSIONS, POWER CLEANS, CALF RAISES

DAY4: CARDIO/ABS

DAY5: BACK/TRI'S
    DEADLIFT, LAT PULL DOWNS, BARBELL ROWS, TRICEP PUSHDOWS, SKULL CRUSHERS,

DAY6: SHOULDERS
    SHRUGS, SHOULDER PRESS, LATERAL RAISES, ????

Please keep in mind this is to get bigger for football, but I also need to reatain my speed. Also, this is all in a home gym, so I do not have access to all the various machines in a gym. Thanks!

Justin

Gino plays for the other team lol

Just to warn you, if you're planning on playing semi pro football, you may want to pick and choose who you take your advice from.

Gino is a good place to start....

You'll receive plenty of advice on here from people that don't even look like they workout, the king of these people is the origional Justin F.

i say you forget the semi pro thing and just lift. your body will thank you for it.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

lol-- don't forget me, 'can.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

ANY opinions????

well....do you really need all those variations on a bench press?

you could prolly stand to drop a curl too.

Did I miss something or was there no work for your hamstrings...

Anyway...you already have mass so don't worry too much about that. I'd be strength training if I were you, mass doesn't make tackles, strength does. Go with a westside mentality and try to set personal records each time you go to the gym. Keep track of the most weight you can do for mebbe 3 reps and just keep trying to make the number higher each week. So for your major lifts, bench, squats, deadlifts, start with a couple warm-up sets then drop to the 6-10 rep range, then to the 4-6 range and then 2-4 range. You don't need to goto your one rep max just try to constantly increase your 2-3 rep max range...

Also, try windsprints which will help immensely in conditioning and training for explosive power. So maybe just sprint balls-out for 40 yards then slowly walk back and then start again...that should aid you when you are on the line.

Anyway those are my thoughts, I've read a bit on football programs long ago so that's what I'd suggest.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

PR blaster!
    In my opinion, football is mostly legs. SQUATS AND STIFF LEG DEADLIFTS!!

Blocking on the line is mainly a pushing motion...legs for stability and drive...arms for being able to push the other guy around.

So legs and chest...but it's an overall conditioning...
    Last edited by ElPietro; 11-26-2001 at 12:53 PM.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Thanks for the replies everybody. I actually read about that west side mentality earlier in the day, I think that is the route I am going to go. As far as variations on the bench, should I just stick to the flat bench? And also the curls, drop one? How many exercises should I be doing per bodypart? As far as conditioning, I do 3 miles two days a week, followed by sprints, but I must admit my sprints are lacking due to being worn out by the 3 miles. Should I cut that to just a 1 mile warm-up followed by mostly sprints? Again, thank you for the replies, much appreciated.
    Justin

Try doing sprints first then rest up a bit and do your run. Sprints are explosive and your glycogen levels will be depleted from a 3 mile run before you get to your sprints.

As far as bench goes you can do just flat, or any combo...I'm not saying the others are bad...just that it's not training anything other than your chest so if you have a better exercise that you prefer doing you can get rid of the other presses. I usually do free-weight flies or pec-deck flies...declines are just a pain so I don't bother as they aren't really helping anymore than any other movement I could do for chest.

I would drop an exercise on curls for sure. Do 3 exercises per major muscle group and 1-2 exercises for minor muscle groups (ie. bis, tris, calves, traps, etc).

Current FFFA Enforcer