The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Karma is awesome

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

That's the 2nd best cosmic justice I've heard about recently, the first being...

A 21-year-old student at the University of Nebraska Lincoln was killed when, not belted in, he was ejected from the back seat of an SUV in a crash; the student was prominent for his libertarian political views, including a defiant stand in the student newspaper against mandatory seatbelt laws. (He described himself as one of "a die-hard group of non-wearers out there who simply do not wish to buckle up.") (January) [CNN-AP, 1-18-05] [Lincoln Journal Star, 1-5-05]

The article, Individual rights buckle under seat belt laws.

The karmic smack down, Kieper, who was riding in the back seat of the Explorer, was ejected from the vehicle.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

eh i don't like stories where people die.

my personal favorite example of karmic retribution int he form of a mack truck, would have to be jeff gannon.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    That's the 2nd best cosmic justice I've heard about recently, the first being...

A 21-year-old student at the University of Nebraska Lincoln was killed when, not belted in, he was ejected from the back seat of an SUV in a crash; the student was prominent for his libertarian political views, including a defiant stand in the student newspaper against mandatory seatbelt laws. (He described himself as one of "a die-hard group of non-wearers out there who simply do not wish to buckle up.") (January) [CNN-AP, 1-18-05] [Lincoln Journal Star, 1-5-05]

The article, Individual rights buckle under seat belt laws.

The karmic smack down, Kieper, who was riding in the back seat of the Explorer, was ejected from the vehicle.

Mix, I almost did this over PM, but who else did he hurt by not wearing his seatbelt?

i think you misunderstand karma

i would call that irony

yeah, let's have the government protect us from ourselves. no thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by shootermcgavin7
    Mix, I almost did this over PM, but who else did he hurt by not wearing his seatbelt?
    Oh, he didn't hurt anyone except himself, which is entirely the point. He was opposed to seat belt use/laws and he died because if it.

I don't want to argue about seatbelt laws. I don't really care. Obviously, if you're stupid enough to not wear a belt, you're more likely to die.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Quote Originally Posted by Tryska
    eh i don't like stories where people die.

my personal favorite example of karmic retribution int he form of a mack truck, would have to be jeff gannon.
    I pray that the polaroids of Jeff and Scott McClelland in a compromising position are published soon.

I don't want to argue about seatbelt laws. I don't really care. Obviously, if you're stupid enough to not wear a belt, you're more likely to die.

I'm the same way. I agree that you're more likely to die, but I don't want to waste my tax money to have the government tell people they HAVE to wear them.

Obviously, if you're stupid enough to not wear a belt, you're more likely to die.
    i dont wear a seat belt, and i have proven that i am more likely to live. average 8 car trips a day, and ive lived every time. even if i die once, that will be against thousands of non seat belted trips

1000>1 = not more likely to die.
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

If it can be imagined, it can be done. - Me

6'2"
    273 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by MrWebb78
    i dont wear a seat belt, and i have proven that i am more likely to live. average 8 car trips a day, and ive lived every time. even if i die once, that will be against thousands of non seat belted trips

1000>1 = not more likely to die.
    lol. Thats faulty though Webb. The # of times you drive has nothing to do with it. It's the # of times you're in an accident. If you were in the exact same accident 100 times and you were injured less in the ones that you didn't wear your seatbelt then you'd be on to something.

Of course, I think a person should wear their seatbelt but not be forced to.
    Last edited by Shane; 02-19-2005 at 05:49 PM.
    "you are like my yoda." - chops

"you are not like yoda at all!" - chops

"shh...I'm only gay for pay" - ECTX

"no matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max" - bIgHwN86

My Journal

lol i know he meant accidents. i was just being overly literal of whats been said. but! in that case! i have been in 3 accidents with no seat belt! so like 3>1 yeah!

i also have 3 tickets for not wearing it, it went from $25, to $90, to $150 dollars.
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

If it can be imagined, it can be done. - Me

6'2"
    273 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by MrWebb78
    lol i know he meant accidents. i was just being overly literal of whats been said. but! in that case! i have been in 3 accidents with no seat belt! so like 3>1 yeah!

i also have 3 tickets for not wearing it, it went from $25, to $90, to $150 dollars.
    Now you're on to something!

Ticketing for not wearing a seat belt is really stupid. A couple times cops or CHP have seen me without a seat belt and they just made a gesture for me to buckle up so I did. All my tickets are for speeding.

I have to admit though, my freshman year in high school one of my best friends was thrown through the rear window of a baretta and killed in a car accident. He probably would have lived had he had his seat belt on.
    Last edited by Shane; 02-19-2005 at 05:53 PM.
    "you are like my yoda." - chops

"you are not like yoda at all!" - chops

"shh...I'm only gay for pay" - ECTX

"no matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max" - bIgHwN86

My Journal

Grasshoppa
    Oh, he didn't hurt anyone except himself, which is entirely the point. He was opposed to seat belt use/laws and he died because if it.

Yah, I'd call your story irony more than karma.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

Okay, jeez, fine, irony it is. You guys are too particular.

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    Tickets are given for not wearing seat belts because not wearing one increases your chance of being injured in a crash. Therefore, the people getting injured are indeed affecting others because there medical attentions comes straight out of our tax dollars. Not to mention taking up hospital beds, and causing the other driver's insurance to go up due to injury/fatality.
    Last edited by Canadian Crippler; 02-20-2005 at 10:51 AM.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

I pray that the polaroids of Jeff and Scott McClelland in a compromising position are published soon.

i'd prefer higher up the foodchain, but i suppose i could settle for scott.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

suprarob
    My best friend is a captain in the Fire Dept. He told me "in his 20 years he has NEVER unbuckled a dead person". So I try to remember to wear mine!
    Rob.

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    Sure, it's stupid to not wear a seat belt. Regardless of whether or not this moron decided to wear one, he has a good point that buckle-up laws are ridiculous. We don't need the law to protect ourself from ourself. It's all a scam. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that the young man did this on purpose to show that he is a true believer in our right to be stupid - he's a martyr, and deserves sainthood.
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

"All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

Pearls of Wisdom...

Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

And no COLON jokes, bastards!

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Crippler
    Tickets are given for not wearing seat belts because not wearing one increases your chance of being injured in a crash. Therefore, the people getting injured are indeed affecting others because there medical attentions comes straight out of our tax dollars. Not to mention taking up hospital beds, and causing the other driver's insurance to go up due to injury/fatality.
    Last edited by Canadian Crippler; 02-20-2005 at 10:51 AM.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Crippler
    So you think we should solve the problem by passing a law? Every time someone is ticketed for not wearing their seat belt, a cop has been taken from a situation where he may actually be needed.

I think a better solution would be to allow hospitals/insurance companies to reject treatment to anyone who wasn't wearing their seat belt.

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"

Pearls of Wisdom...

Quote Originally Posted by Gyno Rhino
    I think a better solution would be to allow hospitals/insurance companies to reject treatment to anyone who wasn't wearing their seat belt.
    that's a pretty good idea

Or just abolish the sham that is free healthcare..

-duck-
    20 y/o, 6'1", 186 lbs, 14% BF
    bench: 350 deadlift: 560 parallel squat: 465
    total: 1375 @ 186

Well, I think it would be a good idea to deny modern medicine to anyone who doesn't believe in evolution, but that's not going to happen, is it?

Well, I think it would be a good idea to deny modern medicine to anyone who doesn't believe in evolution, but that's not going to happen, is it?
    And why couldn't you?

If you owned an insurance company, I'd be perfectly fine with you denying medicine to anyone who doesn't believe in evolution.

I'd have to tell you, though, I don't think you'd garner too many customers with a policy like that. You'd be out of business in no time, and there we go - problem solved.

Pearls of Wisdom...

And why couldn't you?

If you owned an insurance company, I'd be perfectly fine with you denying medicine to anyone who doesn't believe in evolution.

I'd have to tell you, though, I don't think you'd garner too many customers with a policy like that. You'd be out of business in no time, and there we go - problem solved.
    Actually, we'd have the cheapest rates in the business because we wouldn't be subsidizing irrational religious folks who don't use contraception and pop out shorties on their mission for God.