Thread: insulin and weight loss

Hybrid View

insulin and weight loss

here is a question for you guys, I take Lantus insulin for my diabetes.

It has appeared to me that since I have been on the lantus i have been able to drop fat and conserve lbm better...does anyone know if that is because of the insulin...or is it just a coincidence?

I am not a pro on this. However, I know of ppl who shoot it in their stomach and get ripped. Gotta know what ur doing with that stuff. Also, none of them are diabetic, consult your MD...

gymrat: i take the shot in my stomach one time a day right before bed

when you have a healthy normal insulin level everything works better. Insulin feeds cells for proper function.
    Never Giving In.

This actually doesn't make sense. As I understand it higher insulin levels favor the storage of excess sugar as fat. Folks who are insulin resistant make more insulan and are overweight. Those with too many insulin receptors have a harder time packing on muscle and are very lean.
    ecDoesIt

"You're such a girl carbon. You're strong as hell, making wicked progress, and I post in your journal. WTF more could you want?"
    Anthony

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    - Sinclair Lewis

My latest (and only) WBB article.

Quote Originally Posted by ectx
    This actually doesn't make sense. As I understand it higher insulin levels favor the storage of excess sugar as fat. Folks who are insulin resistant make more insulan and are overweight. Those with too many insulin receptors have a harder time packing on muscle and are very lean.
    yes but if he's injecting insulin just to maintain a healthy normal level and is not excessively high, only under controll, it will benifet him.

brian have you ever tried drinking a glass of fruit juice to do the trick or does that not work?
    Last edited by waynis; 02-19-2005 at 12:45 PM.
    Never Giving In.

Born -> Ireland, college @ Upenn, Philadelphia. Back in Dublin
    I learned a lot from the info stickies on www.anabolicminds.com 's forum.
    Start 7` @ 244lbs. (1/Sept/04) --> Bulked 7` @ 277lbs. (05/01/05)
    Most recent Jan 4th 2007 @ 122kilo(268lbs)
    Bf 14.3% as of 28th Oct 06.

Current/
    Bench 300/
    Dead 455/
    Squat 345/

waynis: drinking fruuit juice...to control my diabeetes?

No i havent tried that. I have been on medication for some time now. just started insulin last year.

dont diabetics not produce enough insulin? i thought that is what made people diabetic?

There are two types of diabetics...hyperglycemic and hypoglycemic. I'm figuring you're hyperglycemic Brian? Your problem would be too much sugar in your system. I believe Waynis is thinking about hypoglycemic individuals. I may have that backwards but I'll check.
    ecDoesIt

"You're such a girl carbon. You're strong as hell, making wicked progress, and I post in your journal. WTF more could you want?"
    Anthony

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    - Sinclair Lewis

There are two types of diabetics...hyperglycemic and hypoglycemic. I'm figuring you're hyperglycemic Brian? Your problem would be too much sugar in your system. I believe Waynis is thinking about hypoglycemic individuals. I may have that backwards but I'll check.
    hypoglycemic is not considered diabetic. Brian has either type 1 or type 2 diabetes. Type 1 is when your body does not produce insulin and you have to have injections for function. Type 2 is when your pancreas produced only a small amount and you have to get a little more for function.

With type 2 diabetics most symptoms can be solved by digesting a glucose type drink To keep insulin levels up. Type 2 is the most common form of diabetes. This is why I asked brian about controlling it with with a glucose drink.Have you ever considered controlling your diabetes with diet?

Hyperglycemic is when sugar is too high. YOu are right.

I am hypoglycemic. Hypoglycemia is when your pancreas releases to much insulin and therefore your blood sugar drops. To prevent this take you must eat every 3 hours atleast and avoid foods which give high insulin spikes. High insulin spikes will force the pancreas to realease too much insulin. I must eat all mostly complex carbs, veggies, fats and lots of protein to controll it. Symptoms of hypoglycemia are horrible. IF my blood sugar is low I can pass out, I get terrible depression, I mean really low and many other symptoms.
    Last edited by waynis; 02-20-2005 at 11:55 AM.
    Never Giving In.

hyperglcemic means sugar running too high right? that would be me...at least untiol recently currently it is well under control.

waynis: after losing the 40 or so pounds that i have lost, i am close to the point of being able to control with my diet, or at least with less insulin and maybe just the insulin and not the pills i take with it. I am going to discuss this with my doctor

Waynis, from what I've read, hypoglycemia is usually brought on by diabetes, although not true in all cases.

How would giving glucose to someone who has too much sugar circulating in their body help control their symptoms? That actually seems dangerous, as they do not have the necessary insulin to absorb this sugar. I know that regulating or limiting carbs through diet does help control Type 2. I'm not a clinician and this isn't my area of expertise, but it does seem counterintuitive.
    ecDoesIt

Anthony

- Sinclair Lewis

Waynis, from what I've read, hypoglycemia is usually brought on by diabetes, although not true in all cases.

How would giving glucose to someone who has too much sugar circulating in their body help control their symptoms? That actually seems dangerous, as they do not have the necessary insulin to absorb this sugar. I know that regulating or limiting carbs through diet does help control Type 2. I'm not a clinician and this isn't my area of expertise, but it does seem counterintuitive.
    no i think you have a little bit of info confused. Hypoglycemia comes first. If someone does not treat it it can turn into diabetes. But at the same time diabetics can become hypoglycemic if they allow their sugar to drop.

With a hypoglycemic they need to keep their blood sugar up. With a diabetic they need to control their blood sugar so it's not too high or too low. It has to be in the middle.

Here's what's tricky about diabetic hypoglycemia and a person that just has hypoglycemia. A person which just has hypoglycemia needs insulin but not in a sudden rush or insulin spike way. This will help for a minute but then drop the blood sugar even lower. With a diabetic hypoglycemic the glucose solution will get their blood sugar back up if it's dropped.

It's a bit confusing and confusing to explain also. For example

i'am hypoglycemia which means low blood sugar. People think you are low so you take some sugar and this will do the trick but it does not. With a diabetic with low blood sugar it can help them. Notice what I mentioned about the pancrease in the other paragraph. Type 1 diabetes, your pancreas cannot produce insulin on it's own. In those cases injections are probably needed. With type 2 the pancrease works but not well so it needs help. A glucose solution will help this.

Now with hypoglycemia the pancrease produces too much insulin causing the blood sugar to drop. They are actually opposite. Do you get it now? It is confusing.
    Last edited by waynis; 02-20-2005 at 03:58 PM.
    Never Giving In.

i am type 2 diabetic...i find that if it goes too low (probably below 60) i get disoriented and have to eat some thing with sugar immediatly...i have some of the glucose p[ills yopu describe and they work very fast. If it goes to high i get overly tired and irritable...I feel the best between80-100

type 2 is the most common type. Do you check your levels daily?

With me since i'am hypoglycemic If I take in a high glucose drink like gatorade on a emptry stomach my levels will drop into the upper 50s and symptoms include: panic attacks, fainting, very angry, very depressed, suicidal, blurry vision, dizzy, the list goes on. Also if I drink a large amount of alcohol on a empty stomach it will drop my blood sugar very low. Alcohol is very dangerous with diabetes or hypoglycemia because at first it puts up blood sugar levels but then drops quickly later.

Last friday I had a attack. I have been over training and not getting the calories I need to recover and fuel my body at the same time. It was hell. I had a panic attack, ocular migraine and very depressed all at once. I thought it was over. It's crazy what high or low blood sugar levels will do to you. I can controll it wiith diet as long as i'am smart. I have to wake up early and start eating immediatly. I must get 6 meals a day atleast for blood sugar to be normal. It's annoying but it has forced me to eat well and I have completly got out of the party stage. In some ways it has been really good for me. I just have to make sure I don't let it turn into diabetes.
    Never Giving In.