Thread: Cheap Protein, Why are Deli Meats bad protein

Wannabebig Member

Cheap Protein, Why are Deli Meats bad protein

I was recently told that Deli Meats were bad source of Protein. Why is this. I am in college so I don' know what else to eat...what are some good sources of protein that are cheap and low in fat and convenient

Thanks

deli meats aren't bad protein persay...they just have a lot of sodium added....u should check out grocery store sales etc. cuz they usually always have some kind of lean ground beef on sale or chicken thighs, breasts etc. on sale..

"Squats make the ghetto booty"-Me
    "No matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max"-bIgHwN86
    "Reach for some self discipline."-Holto

Banned
    Most foods that are "processed" are going to be labelled as "bad". Quite frankly, I don't find deli meat that cheap on a protein/g basis, but if you can get it cheaper than other things then go for it. Just try to limit your sodium intake from other foods.

eggs are pretty cheap, i eat like a carton and a half a week. also tuna fish aint bad. and u can eat **** loads of peanut butter sandwiches

Eggs, peanut butter and tuna are all good options. Lots of different ways to eat them, many are convenient to make.

I wannabebig!
    everywhere I know sells deli sliced meat more then other sources of protein

A carton and a half of eggs in a week?

I use that in two days..
    20 y/o, 6'1", 186 lbs, 14% BF
    bench: 350 deadlift: 560 parallel squat: 465
    total: 1375 @ 186

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Organichu
    A carton and a half of eggs in a week?

I use that in two days..
    2 days? I was thinking more along the lines of 1

you egg mongers are...sick!!

Grasshoppa
    1 day? I can do it in 12 hours!

Ok, so no I don't...but I just wanted to one up everyone.
    Last edited by Shao-LiN; 02-19-2005 at 08:50 PM.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

Quote Originally Posted by Vido
    2 days? I was thinking more along the lines of 1
    Glutton.
    20 y/o, 6'1", 186 lbs, 14% BF
    bench: 350 deadlift: 560 parallel squat: 465
    total: 1375 @ 186

Burger is pretty cheap. I don't see deli/lunch meet being that good of deal protein/$. I would look for roasts to go on sale. Turkeys go on sale sometimes for under a $1/lb. Thats alot of good protein for $10-12. Can freeze it. Turket breast are even better, they go on sale once in a while. Just throw them in the oven and take them out when times is up. Easy.

Cheap gravy beef/stewing steak. Can't go past it, IMO. All you need is a big pot or crock pot, leave it in there for about 4 hours, and it's great. Cooking it that long probably destroys a bit of the protein, but it sure does taste good.
    Edit: Sorry, I forgot you're in college. Well cottage cheese and yoghurt and milk always go down well, do you have a fridge?
    Last edited by TTT; 02-20-2005 at 06:41 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    whats better? torillas or wheat bread?

Quote Originally Posted by justliftin
    whats better? torillas or wheat bread?
    You mean tortillas.

Meh, really a toss up. Neither are great, but they won't kill you either. Personally, I would go with the whole wheat bread, tends to have more calories than a regular tortilla.
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

Wannabebig Member
    Yea, I have a fridge. It's weird though--when I eat yogurt i don't really get filled up...is yogurt a good source of protein? It's not as pure a protein as meat though, right. If it good for you, i can eat more

Quote Originally Posted by Manveet
    You mean tortillas.

Meh, really a toss up. Neither are great, but they won't kill you either. Personally, I would go with the whole wheat bread, tends to have more calories than a regular tortilla.
    You're eating the wrong tortillas homey!

Probably more nurtrients in whole wheat bread. Tortillas rock though! Corn ones that is. Flour ones are just plain bad....but taste sooooo good!
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

It depends how the meats are processed. Some will add loads of sodium and artificial flavoring, preservatives and all that crap. You have to check the labels. Dietz n watson makes a low sodium, no preservative all natural cut turkey. A few other companies do to. Just look at the labels to see if it's good for you or not.
    Never Giving In.

Do that voodoo that he do
    Quote Originally Posted by lookingaround
    Yea, I have a fridge. It's weird though--when I eat yogurt i don't really get filled up...is yogurt a good source of protein? It's not as pure a protein as meat though, right. If it good for you, i can eat more
    Actually, the milk protein in yogurt is a better protein than meat. That's not to say that you shouldn't eat meat, as it is a good protein with other good nutrients.

Yogurt is a good source of protein, but it has a lot of carbs in it. If you're watching carbs, then I'd choose cottage cheese over yogurt.
    Be a man. Be awesome at it. Be proud of it. Beyond the Barbell

"Borris is correct. That sounds logical if you ask me."
    -galileo