The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

I'm having trouble...

Hey, I'm new here and extremly intrested in weight lifting. I'm a tad young so I don't ever do max sets or low reps (Lower than 5). I'm having problems working two certain muscles: Lower pecs and hip muscles (maybe obliques?). My pecs are coming out okay but then thing is in the middle (and towards the bottom) it's almost flat. This makes it so my pecs arn't really cut, but more that they're big on the outside and get smaller as you go in. How do you work out the pec minor/lower pec? What about the top pec too? Also, I've been working out my abbs really well (which are looking nice for me) but I'm noticing that my hips (the sides of my body/outsides of the abbs) have no bulk or cut at all. Those two places probably have the most boby fat for me. What should I do?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    - What is young?

- You can't isolate parts of your pectoralis; it is all 1 muscle, and the shape of it is determined by genetics. Your "lower chest" MAY fill out eventually however.

- "Cuts" are determined by low body fat. Muscle is muscle; if you want to be cut lower your body fat through dieting and cardio

- I'm guessing by working your abs really well, you mean something like 300 crunches every night. Forgive me if I'm wrong though. Abs are like any other muscle group so train them the same way. You wouldn't do 300 pushups a night to develop your chest, would you?

- DB Side Bends or Machine Twists, as well as a nice heavy ab routine will do wonders for your obliques. Check out www.exrx.net for exercises.

- You cannot spot reduce fat. It is gained in a sequence determined by genetics, and lost in that sequence reversed (ie fat gains first on arms, then legs, then chest. fat loss first on chest, then legs, then arms). Chances are if you are cut everywhere else besides that area, that is where your body deposits fat first.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

I don't only do one type of abdominal work out; nothing like 300 crunches a night--waste of time.

I thought that hips (the side of your body) were different then the abbs because there is this machine at our gym called something like the "rotater" which is this circle that you twist around in and it supposedly works your hips, not your abbs. I can see my abbs, but the sides of my body have no visual muscle. Is that part of the body just the abbs?

I'm 15, going onto 16. Sorry if I didn't mention that.

On this site (the one you gave me) http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html on the right it talks about working up the "pectoarl major" and the "pectoral minor." Why would there be a difference if it was just one muscle?
    Last edited by PhilsterT; 02-26-2005 at 10:33 PM.

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    Because it is a topic that has been debated for a long time, by many people, who come up with strong evidence in order to support their ideas. I guess exrx feels you can isolate muscle heads, while I feel you cannot. Most people on these boards will agree you cannot.

The machine you are talking about is machine twists, and yes IMO it's not a bad machine at all. Do your sidebends as well though.

I'm also pretty sure ab work will hit your obliques hard as well (don't quote me on this however).

15 is not too young to lift heavy; I recently turned 16, and I was lifting heavy at 15.
    Last edited by Canadian Crippler; 02-26-2005 at 10:54 PM.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

Thanks a lot for your help.

As I am a little new to bodybuilding (not to new), I don't want to do lower reps until I feel that I've safely grasped concepts and have my concerns adressed so as to not cause permanent injury.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilsterT
    As I am a little new to bodybuilding (not to new), I don't want to do lower reps until I feel that I've safely grasped concepts and have my concerns adressed so as to not cause permanent injury.
    Nice to see young people using their heads.
    Once you have the form for various lifts sorted out, then you should be fine.
    Last edited by TTT; 02-27-2005 at 03:52 AM.