The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Can An Experienced Lifter Gain Muscle On An Extreme Bodyweight Training Routine?

Since Ive been out of the gym lately, from these herniated disks, Ive had alot time to think. Previously before the lay off, I was basically a 400lb bencher and incline wasnt far behind. I would also row 150lbs dumbbells for 32 reps. Arms were 18 3/4 and chest 49". Ive lost some size already. 1/2 and inch on the arms and an inch on the legs. Bodyweight is around 187lbs. Itll definately get worse, especially if I take a month or more off from training. So Im thinking some type of extreme bodyweight training might work for me. Ive never tried this before. I cant even do bodyweight exercise now without alot of pain in my spine. But Im probabally going to get some spinal shots to take down the inflammation. Then Im thinking maybe I can hit bodyweight training hard. Not sure if thatll **** up the disks but I likely wont feel it for a while. Im thinking maybe 250-500 push-ups a day or atleast a few times a week. Just brainstorming. Need to find a way to get around the injuries for now. Im wondering if that would build my chest up any. Maybe hit chin-ups in a similiar matter also. Though maybe only 100 reps a few times a week. Maybe everyday. Havent figured it all out yet. Hitting the arms I might do with light dumbbells (50lbs or so) for high reps. Maybe lighter depending how it effects my back. Wondering if I can get any growth training this way, if Im getting real sore (Ill find a way) and eating as I was. Anyone have any experience or feedback on this? All feedback is greatly appreciated!!
    "You have to examine your heart and know exactly why you want to transform into a beast; it's your deep hatred for this disgusting world. Leave behind your former self for vultures to tear apart and fuck the minds of the "girls" and "guys". We wild carnivorous beasts are your only peers. Destroy everything, then destroy the remainder of what you destroyed." -Beast

Cult Leader Of The "KILL THAT SHIT" Administration

Current Lifts:
    Bench: 400 (Just short of lockout) (405 COMING SOON!!) 225x27 275x17 300x10.5 315x11.75 330x8 335x6 365x3.5 (all raw)
    Deadlift: 405x12, 510 off the floor, 575 from lowest setting on power rack
    Beast Lift (a deadlift with the bar behind the legs): 590 off the floor,730 off the power rack on lowest setting
    Incline Barbell Press: 375lbsx1 (raw) 275x13.5 225x20.75 315x6.5 335x3.5

Stats: 5'8 195-200lbs 18 3/4 inch arms (cold and flexed) 49" chest and 26" legs

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I wannabebig!
    no

would you gain weight repping a 45 lb bar 500 times.... i highly doubt it.

Its probably best just to let your discs heal. You already have killer lifts, so if they decline a little, they'll still be WAY above average. Id stay on the side of caution if i was you, as spine and neck pain arent' what you want in your future.

Quote Originally Posted by RBC13
    Its probably best just to let your discs heal. You already have killer lifts, so if they decline a little, they'll still be WAY above average. Id stay on the side of caution if i was you, as spine and neck pain arent' what you want in your future.
    Agreed. Dude, you have to get your priorities straight here. Your number 1 concern right now should be your long-term health. Stay away from the weights until you're healed. Good luck with the recovery bro.
    "The only sin which we never forgive in each other is difference of opinion."
    -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Word.

ThanX all!! Id have to agree a 45lb bar wouldnt likely do ****. A push-up if its 60% of my BW would be 111lbs though. Slightly heavier. Just throwing around ideas for now. I have plenty of time to think.

RBC: ThanX for the kind words. I expect theyll decline alot, but thanX! Im trying to give the injuries time to heal now, if thats possible (healing). It hasnt been feeling any better yet. ThanX again!!
    "You have to examine your heart and know exactly why you want to transform into a beast; it's your deep hatred for this disgusting world. Leave behind your former self for vultures to tear apart and fuck the minds of the "girls" and "guys". We wild carnivorous beasts are your only peers. Destroy everything, then destroy the remainder of what you destroyed." -Beast

Cult Leader Of The "KILL THAT SHIT" Administration

Current Lifts:
    Bench: 400 (Just short of lockout) (405 COMING SOON!!) 225x27 275x17 300x10.5 315x11.75 330x8 335x6 365x3.5 (all raw)
    Deadlift: 405x12, 510 off the floor, 575 from lowest setting on power rack
    Beast Lift (a deadlift with the bar behind the legs): 590 off the floor,730 off the power rack on lowest setting
    Incline Barbell Press: 375lbsx1 (raw) 275x13.5 225x20.75 315x6.5 335x3.5

Stats: 5'8 195-200lbs 18 3/4 inch arms (cold and flexed) 49" chest and 26" legs