The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My First Major Paintball Tournament Experience

Sup guys. I posted a lot of this in my journal, but I thought maybe some people in General Chat would like to peruse my experiences. The tournament was the CFOA Atlanta Paintball Tournament. It was the first of this year's series, and it drew 129 teams.

Tournament Results from The Hot-Lanta Classic
    There were 77 teams in our Division alone. The biggest divisonal turnout for this tournament series ever. Most of the teams there have been together for a year and a bit. Our team, Team Genesis, has only been practicing together for roughly 2-3 months, so we really had our work cut out for us.

Rough Field Layout: http://www.supairball.com/home/news.php Scroll halfway down the page and you'll see roughly what kind of field we played on. Use that picture to visual the game by game analysis.

Game 1 (Team Nobodys): I made it to the back standup, but my corner was muddy as hell and I ended up busting my ass. Slid out the other side of the bunker, but was able to scramble back in. Shot a couple of times, but couldn't get a good rhythm going. Ended up getting shot in the face. Played like **** and one guys gun was down. Not a good way to start the tourney. Team Genesis (0-1)

Game 2 (Team Busdrivers): Was nervous going into this game. I heard Busdrivers was one of the favored teams. Off the break I was able to make my back standup. My dad got burned off break and another from the left side followed him shortly. Our snake player was able to dive into the snake (long bunker on left side of the field). Nobody saw him make the move. I was able to shoot down line and catch a guy playing sloppy. My buddy playin in front of me caught it in the face. Snake man slid down the snake and pegged 3 bodies. That left us with the 2 on 1 advantage. I was breaking paint like crazy but made the move up and caught the guy on the run. Grabbed and hung the flag with time to spare. Team Genesis (1-1)

Game 3 (Team Xtreme Tactics): On break, made my bunker again. Dad and other left side got burned on break for second game in a row. Snake player made snake. I got gogged in the face for the second game. Shortly after my snake player got bunkered and shot about 12 times. We managed to shoot 2 or 3 of em out, but couldn't withstand the quick push they made. Team Genesis 1-2

Game 4 (Team Illusion): Switched up and played the center bunker this time. Everybody made their bunkers this time. Shot a guy out at the center bunker. Left side got taken out. Game seemed to be heading for a stale mate, so I made a quick move up the gut and made a dive for the flag. Pulled back in tight but got nailed. We got the first flag pull which was needed. We all ended up getting shot out, but because the game took so long, they couldn't get a flag hang, and we won by points (mainly because of my flag pull). Team Genesis 2-2

Game 5 (Team Damage Inc): Really got screwed this game by the refs. Everybody made their bunkers, but my front player was called out because of pink paint on his shoe, when the other team was shooting orange paint.... My buddy shot another guy out, but the guy played on and shot him back. No penalty was issued. I was last one in and got bunkered. No penalty issued on a guy that hande 2 OBVIOUS hits on his leg. We should've had that game long in the bag if the damn refs had done their jobs. "Officially" Team Genesis 2-3

Game 6 (Dominion): Off break everybody made their bunkers. We got our guy into the snake. He drew a lot of fire, but me and my back left were able to lock down the left side of the field and take the heat off him. I shot the guy in the center out. Snake men shot out two guys. Me and my right side front player got shot out. Dad and back left guy pushed the field and that combined with my snake player was too much for Dominion to handle. We won the final game with almost a perfect score. "Officially" Team Genesis 3-3

4 of the 6 teams we played made the Semis, so we didn't play any scrub teams.

Overall we played some good ball. Took us a game to realize the level we would actually have to play at. Communication was pretty good. Finally realized that putting all that paint in the air really helps roll teams. I'm really proud of everybody and I know that before long, we we'll be a contender. The tournament was awesome. Fields could've been a bit better, and the refs sucked, but overall I had a blast, and we proved that even though we don't have near the experience most people have (our snake players played paintball a total of 2-3 months) we can be and will be competitive.

Here is two links to pictures of our team. Try and guess which is me and my dad haha.

http://www.partypics.com/ver2/EventImages.aspx?Page=16 - on this page we are roll 4 frame 8-19

http://www.partypics.com/ver2/EventImages.aspx?Page=17 - on this page we are roll 4 frame 22-28 and then 33- 39

Here is a video of the event. This video was NOT made by me, and does NOT contain any shots of my team, but it does give you an idea of the pace and fields associated with the CFOA.

http://people.clemson.edu/~swesson/CFOATL.mov

You do need quicktime to view the video.

If anybody has any questions or anything, or would just like to shoot the ****, just post in here. I'll be checking back here and there, though I have a feeling there isn't too many people on this board that play paintball haha.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Banned
    Nice post, Chubber

I haven't played competitively since I was using a modified NelSpot 007 back in the days when a pump action + autotrigger was the shiznit. Back before there WERE semiautos at least semiautos that could be had for anything less than a bazillionskillion dollars. I still have my backup marker from that era, a vintage Splatmaster push-cocker. Not really that accurate or that good but it LOOKS cool. Damn one-piece plastic casing means it's not really upgradeable either. Ah well.

But sounds like you had a good time and played well. If your team keeps practicing, you'll no doubt continue to improve.

I also think it's awesome that you play with your dad. Great to hear of fathers and sons sharing the same enthusiasm for sports like that.

I always though paintball would be cooler if you coudl go to hand-to-hand combat with paint covered sticks...

But that sounds really cool, and a huge tournament. How often do you play/practice?

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Not being a paintball guy I couldnt follow everything but it sounds cool I dont even know what a course/field/whatever you call it looks like.
    "We fight our battles, we wage our wars, we settle the score, with honor and blood" - Atreyu

Dontate to my favorite charity!

Callahan- Hey that vintage paintball was good stuff though bro. I'm pretty happy with the way we played considering the teams we played had A LOT more experience on us. I've got a feeling that we will be a top contender by the end of the season.

Mix- I kinda like the hand to hand combat idea haha. As a team we practice every weekend, sometimes twice a week and have a tournament every 4th week or so. I ended up having to get a job while in school to fund my paintball practice lol.

Y2A- HAHA it's all good. I thought that it may be a bit over the top while I was typing, but I figured oh well. If you get a chance look at the vids or pics and you can get a pretty good idea of what some of the fields look like. It's so much fun man, and I def recommend going if you ever get a chance.

Down with the Sickness
    Paintball dominates i like woodsbal better than speed ball, but that is only because i am poor and cant afford but a box in a day of paintballs.

I have such a noob marker
    i have spyder imagine with 14" teardrop barrel ricochet electronic hopper 20oz Co2 with a remote. I only play like 1-2 times a month at a place called orbits and another called armagedon. They are pretty cool they have old helicopter shells and old tanks shells on the field like real helos and tanks along with the usual pallets and other stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by sublime99
    Paintball dominates i like woodsbal better than speed ball, but that is only because i am poor and cant afford but a box in a day of paintballs.

I have such a noob marker
    i have spyder imagine with 14" teardrop barrel ricochet electronic hopper 20oz Co2 with a remote. I only play like 1-2 times a month at a place called orbits and another called armagedon. They are pretty cool they have old helicopter shells and old tanks shells on the field like real helos and tanks along with the usual pallets and other stuff.
    Spyder makes a good gun no matter how you look at it. Very possible to win a big tournament with spyders only.

Though it's possible, it's not very likely. Not saying Spyders are bad guns, because they aren't. Hell that's what I used to play with all the time, it's just this game is dominated by speed, speed of the marker, speed of the players, and how aggressive somebody is.

Right on! I love paintballing. However it's been ages since I've played.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

That's a cool sport. I've only tried 'speedball' once, and that was one intense game. Got hit in one of my fingers which was wrapped around the front gun handle, and that just about split it open....
    I think I prefer 'woodsball' as well.

Looks like you guys did pretty well for the amount of practice your team had available to them!

When you get a high-end marker, do the paintballs still fly as if they're deformed? Every time I've played, I've been amazed at the inaccuracy of the paintballs. I could never seem to hit much once it was further than about 10 metres away...
    Last edited by TTT; 03-04-2005 at 02:46 PM.

outnumber

If you see this Anthony...who does it remind you of
    Eat Tuna!
    "Ya don't touch my tuna, I don't kill you."- by Tuna Master
    "Part of getting what you want is knowing what you have to give up." - by who knows. ME? Eat Tuna!
    My Journal - My FitDay -

Quote Originally Posted by TTT
    That's a cool sport. I've only tried 'speedball' once, and that was one intense game. Got hit in one of my fingers which was wrapped around the front gun handle, and that just about split it open....
    I think I prefer 'woodsball' as well.

Looks like you guys did pretty well for the amount of practice your team had available to them!

When you get a high-end marker, do the paintballs still fly as if they're deformed? Every time I've played, I've been amazed at the inaccuracy of the paintballs. I could never seem to hit much once it was further than about 10 metres away...
    Accuracy comes from a lot of things like barrel quality and length, and the quality of the paintball as well.

quality of paintball is very important..as the good pb's have a solid enough shell not to get broken by the gun but brittle enough to break on contact with another player and bright colored and viscous paint so it cannot be wiped off...i really wanna play now...haha...

"Squats make the ghetto booty"-Me
    "No matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max"-bIgHwN86
    "Reach for some self discipline."-Holto

What type of marker do you use? I have played speedball on about 20 different dys. Its a lot of fun. I use a 2001 Autococker. Its a great marker but I have a lot of problem with the timeing. I never had as many problems with a spyder. I took my girl to go paintballing once. Worse mistake ever. of the 5 games we played, she shot me in the mask 3 times and the arm once. The fifth game someone else got her.
    NOW
    Age - 25 Weight - 275 Height - 6'4" BF% - to high

Bench Press: 370LBS 11/13/06
    Squat: 135 X 6 11/7/06 (bad back, just working on form)
    Deadlift: 400LBS 11/10/06

Another big factor of accuracy is whether or not you are running CO2 or Compressed Air/Nitrogen. As the CO2 runs into the gun it usually ends up causing violent fluctuations in velocity which have a horrible effect on accuracy. Compressed Air for the most part has a much more constant pressure and provides a much more stable platform. Now we could go into operating pressure, closed bolt vs open bolt, but a lot of that is just too much to talk about back and forth.

I shoot a Dye DM4 Matrix. Out of all the guns I've ever owned (Dark Angel, SFL Cocker, EMAG) this is by far my favorite gun. Extremely fast, accurate and little noticable kick. Very happy with my purchase.

I work at a field down here. It would be crazy if we could get a huge WBB game goin on one day in the future. I'm sure I could get ya'll some good damn deals on stuff. Long shot, but would be awesome.

Yeah, that would be pretty cool. Except you'd probably end up taking out half the field
    Thanks for the info, everyone who answered.

LOL nah, I'm not that good. There are many people out there that are much better.

I played at the Hot-lanta classic! Team vision, check us out!

Ya'll did good man. Wish we had had an easier draw than we did, but that's how it goes. What happened against Team Assume?? Ya'll just stumble a little bit?

I just read all the posts and watched the vid. Good to know theres another baller on here. I couldnt see the pics of your team but the name is familiar. We didn't do to good at this event... first event of the season, gun problems all day, got cheated out of one game. But....we missed semi's by 11 points... not horrible. We got 8th last year at rockhill and 11th at Ducan. You might have heard of us. We're the team who had a guy banned at the second to last event last year for fighting with a player from another team and we had to play with four players in the semi's, lol.

Anyway,in a few minutes I'll post a pic of me and my team from Rockhill last year. I don't have any from this event but I was the kid in the Philly Americans jersey, I saw nobody else with one so my that might stick out in your mind.

Team Assume.... I don't even remember, what field was it on?
    Edit: Oh ya, Team Assume was the first game that we played. My gun chopped, my other teamate's Halo went down, another Teammate's gun went completely down. And a guy from the other team was playing on with a hit on his lense. Did you see that game?
    Last edited by BigE54; 03-05-2005 at 10:35 PM.

Pics of me and my team from Last season last event, Rock Hill

Im the tall guy in front.

Oh ya, LOL. In the very middle of the vid you posted you see a guy running down the snake and bunkering a guy in the small temple right in front of it... then the guy busts his a**! LOL! He's on my team. The derder guy said it would be on the derder site, haha.

Links weren't working for ya pics buddy. I hear ya on the reffin. The reffin was ****in horrible. Oh well...that's whatcha get for having Rookie Teams ref the events for points. My gun was a problem the whole day. I've never had any problems till' I got to the tourney. Shot about half a pod of actual paint to every 4 pods I put down field. Everything else was spray. It was friggin horrible. Still managed to shoot out somebody each game. I'm so friggin ready for SC. Ya'll gonna be there?

wow, do any of you guys post on PBNation?
    Height: 5'9"
    Weight: 140
    Current Personal Bests
    1x175 BP
    8x205 Squat
    1x245 Deadlift

I've got a name over there, but most of the people there are a bunch of immature 12yrs olds. I usually browse the DM4 section or the tournament section, but that's about it.