The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Beaver ******

right elbow clicks...

When I do close grip bench press or skull crushers, my right elbow always clicks. Sometimes it hurts, and then goes away...sometimes it just keeps hurting. I've asked a trainer to make sure that my form is correct, and he said there was no problem, but couldn't give an answer my elbow clicking question. Anyone have this problem!?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

used to have it but it went away over time, dont have a clue why it was happening though.
    "I think you should buy a flatscreen tv and a sorround system, and buy all the Rocky movies and start REALLY focusing on your training, show this woman what she is leaving, SHOW HER! god damn, you gotta reach inside and bring out the Arnold in you!" - Rock

I had that problem with my ankles. I think it deals with you having a past injury(probably minor) and then there is fluid buildup in your elbow. When you bend your elbow during exercise, the fluid seems to pop rather than click. I think it'll go away over time, but i do know that you can technically go to the hospital and get the liquid aspired(drained and taken out). Let me know if this helps.

Beaver ******
    Well, I hope it goes away. If not, then I will see if it's something that needs draining. Damn...I've been working hard with my diet and training for 6 months, and I've been to the doctor half-dozen times...oh well...just gotta get used to it.

The Boxer
    Thats what I did.

**** is real
    yea, that happens to me every once in a while...usually it's when i do my first set of reps on the bench...although mine never hurts...usually my brother will start laughing because it's so loud and i'll be struggling to not laugh and continue lifting

Quote Originally Posted by Beavereater
    Well, I hope it goes away. If not, then I will see if it's something that needs draining. Damn...I've been working hard with my diet and training for 6 months, and I've been to the doctor half-dozen times...oh well...just gotta get used to it.

I have had the same problem and what I did was stop doing skulls. I also had the same issue when doing dips. I had to stop those as well. Here's what I did which seemed to help:

1. Stop doing the lifts that cause the pain. There are other lifts you can do that will cause less or no pain. Good sub for skulls are DB skulls. I find that my elbows have little or no issues with DB's. I find it odd that you have problems with CG bench. My other suggestion is to use DB's but make sure you keep your elbows close to your sides when pressing them up as this will use your triceps more.

2. Build up some tendon strength by doing other lifts that are pain free and also make sure you are warmed up enough.

3. Put ice on your elbow(s).

You don't need to stop your workouts, you just have to adjust. I just recently started doing dips again, and I still get some slight click, but no pain. I hope to continue with them but I want to let my body adapt.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

Wannabebig Member
    I am going throuhg that right now. I injured my left tricep, tore some teandons at the base by the elbow. I am going through physical theropy right now, and it clicks when I bend it. Doc sid it is no big deal, but I;d have it looked at if it hurts. when I first hurt myself, I did'nt go to the doc right away, and now I have not been able to have a decent tricep work out for eight weeks.

Do what max said. I've been battling tricep tendonitis for a while now, and that's what you have more than likely. I have the exact same symptoms and just finished therapy a little while ago. If you continue to do exersises that give you pain, you will pay for it big time. According to the doctor, the popping isn't too bad as long as there is no pain, but I still would lay off any exersise that remotely bothers it. I've had to stop doing all over head pressing, skulls, dips, over head extensions, limit my benching-it sucks but it's the only way to heal it.

Trying to get a sixer Ellocodetroit's Avatar
    I think I heard on this site or Maxim that it might be excess nitrogen build up in the joint.
    Weight 170 lbs. 5'5"
    Bench: 275 @ 1 rep
    Squat: 225@8 reps
    Dead Lift: 265@ 8 reps
    Ellocodetroit Online Journal

My right elbow is killing me tonight! I had 2 intense incline skull crusher sessions and since then it seems like it just keeps getting worse. Also dips haven't helped it at all. I stopped doing skull crushers but I think the damage was done and now it's irritating anything involving the tricep. I suggest easing up. Do more reps instead of such high intensitys. Or only do exercises that you don't seem to have much problems with like someone else mentioned. Also you can try cutting down your sets.. Don't like that idea but if the pain is bad sometimes you need a break. I'am victimed of not listening to my body though and I end up getting hurt. You gotta be smart about it. Right now I realized I better start taking it easy or one die my elbow is gonna pop outta my skin.

For a couple years now my right shoulder pops during bench press. It's not painful so I don't pay much attention to it but I think a lot has to do with muscle imbalance. For years before I became educated I did the same exercises for years, bad form, never changed my ruteen. I think it did a number on my joints and I never made much progress. Now i'am trying to fix what i've done wrong for so long. It's tough though. I'am glad i'am young i guess. maybe i can get it back. But be smart and listen to your body. If you don't feel right try to find out why.
    Never Giving In.