Thread: ATkins?

ATkins?

I've been looking for ANYTHING new to eat lately (just getting sick of the same things) so I checked out a few of the Atkins products, then I thought "hey, I'll check the web site and see what it's all about"

It seems pretty radical and crazy. Net carbs? I guess oatmeal is out of the question, and bacon would seem to have 0 net carbs, so in therory you could eat bacon all day and loose weight? Most fad diets seem to have some sense to them, but this one doesn't seem to have any.

Anybody actually try it? or know somebody who did? I'm sure they can come up with success stories but are there any real people you know who this worked for?

I'll stick to my BB diet, but just curious

i have atkins receipes because they're low in carbs - good for cutting - but i don't follow the rules of the diet. taking oats out of any diet is crazy enough for me!

i know many people that have done atkins and lost weight, yes it works, but i here atkins can cause kidney problems.

There are many schools of thought on Atkins 'Diet'. In my oppinion, Atkins isn't a diet, but rather a way of eating in your life. On the forums here you see people very dedicated to eating to fuel their bodies, and the same is true for the Atkins regime. The mistake that most people make is thinking that they can just "Eat whatever they want and lose all the fat they want" by just not eating carbs. Wrong. If you sit around eating Bacon all day, you're not likely to lose any weight, and most likely you'll just get sick of bacon. Before I go any further, I implore you to read the most descriptive article I found to this day on Atkins, society, and the way people are eating.
    http://www.diabetes-normalsugars.com...s/fatlie.shtml

A year ago (Jan 2004) I weighed in at about 155-160 lbs, and wasn't happy at all with my shape. I had been going to the gym regularly and doing a pretty decent lifting regime, along with cardio once or twice a week. I had been hearing all sorts of things about Atkins, so I dug deep in the internet and looked all over, through chat rooms, forums, archives, documents, etc. until I found what seemed to be a general consensus. People fear things that are new and deviate from the norm. The scientists who had run studies on Atkins found that it did indeed work, lowering fat levels, cholesterol levels, risk of heart disease and gave an increase in energy. The nutritionalists were angry with him, calling him a quack and so on. Many bodybuilders and athletes thought (and still do think) that he is stupid and should not be listened to. I figured that I was healthy, young, and would bounce back if I tried it, so I did.

The first week was the most difficult, letting your body adjust to not using carbohydrates. There were some strong cravings though, and incentive to give in, but once the week was up it was as though I had never wanted carbs at all. You could have fresh baked cookies in front of me and I wouldn't even care. I didn't want any carbs of any sort, the cravings just vanished. I would eat pretty much anything I wanted otherwise, steak, bacon, eggs, omelets, cheeses of all kinds, vegetables, nice fatty soups, etc. I ate very well and took in roughly the same amount of calories I had before, give or take. I decided to do a bit more cardio, upping it to 3 times a week while staying on the same weight program. Here's what happened:

From the duration that I managed to stay on it:
    1. My energy levels soared! I only slept about 5-6 hours a night down from 8 hours that I slept before. I would just wake up and be entirely rested for the day. I swear it felt like I could run for hours (I did a 3 hour run once) and feel great the rest of the day (Which I did too).
    2. My concentration dramatically increased. I no longer got the sleepy feeling after eating a big meal, my moods were level, no sudden shifts based on what I ate.
    3. My lifting increased! I know many of you would say that I just worked harder or pushed that extra weight more, but in honesty I just found it easier to do what I had found to be my maximum for a long time. I lifted more and more faster than I had before.
    4. My endurance grew. I could go at high heatrates for an hour on the elliptical (about 175), burn 800 calories (according to it), and stay wide awake until about 1 am (when I would sleep til 7).
    5. In the span of 6 weeks I lost enough fat that I could see my abs (the six-pack), had small love handles and next to no fat on my body. I weighed in at 138 lbs and could bench 175 (up from 135 before). My muscle mass must have decreased somewhat, but I believe that most of the weight I lost was from fat (no abs to a 6-pack) and from waterloss (no carbs = less water retention).

I fell off the wagon though about 2 weeks later when exams started, I really started stressing and failed to keep going to the gym. Then I got drunk one night, ate a pile of pizza, one thing led to another, blahblah and about a month later I wasn't on atkins anymore. However, I only gained back my waterweight because I started up going to the gym again on a regular basis. Once I went off it though, the previously mentioned points reversed: I had less energy (I still have lots, just I don't feel like the dynamo I did before.), I needed more sleep, and my 6-pack became a 4-pack.

What I learned from this experience is that it does work for me, although if you decide to eat a lot of crappy kinds of foods you may not see a lot of progress (although a lot of people still do). Before you decide to rag on the Atkins 'diet' though, take a look at that article. It's long but very informative. I find that what is choice for some people may not be the choice of others. While all of us here seek to perfect the body through one method, there are always other methods to achieve the same goal.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by scrutdada
    i know many people that have done atkins and lost weight, yes it works, but i here atkins can cause kidney problems.
    The reason people claims that it causes kidney problems is due to the increased protein intake. I believe that we all agree here that there are ways to prevent this hypothesized affliction, such as drinking enough water to keep your kidneys well hydrated. I believe that this has also been proving untrue many times, but is still a myth which clings to not on Atkins, but all high protein diets. The 'normal' intake should be 50g per 2000 calories? Perhaps, but I believe that we all agree here that we find it isn't enough.
    Last edited by betastas; 02-22-2005 at 08:44 AM.

The problem aktins caused was everyone thinks carbs are bad now. You can eat carbs anytime really. It just depends on what kind they are. The diet works better for someone who is on a cut more then anything. A person that is bulking or very athletic needs a larger amount of carbs to keep going. Atkins wouldn't be so bad if it was tuned to each person. I'am a big fan of carbs for energy. Without carbs many people will feel sluggish. If your not getting enough energy threw carbs your body will use fat and protein for energy. using fat is fine but when it starts breaking down amino acids then you lose lean muscle mass and no one wants that. Carbs are the best energy source. Atkins can make a person feel tired, depressed, and yes skinny but some of that weight will probably be muscle.
    Last edited by waynis; 02-22-2005 at 03:19 PM.
    Never Giving In.

Quote Originally Posted by waynis
    Atkins can make a person feel tired, depressed, and yes skinny but some of that weight will probably be muscle.
    Can it? Yes, but there are so many factors that can cause this, to blame it on the diet solely isnt right. I tried my own modified version of the Atkins diet and had incredible results...and felt exactly how the first poster did. My energy levels went through the ROOF! Lost 5 inches on my waistline, al my lifts went up, etc.

Ironically enough the problem with the Atkins Diet....isnt with the diet. Its the people who think they are eating the Atkins way but really arent. If you are eating bacon and cheese all day with a hamburger patty thrown in for good measure, you arent eating Atkins style. Youre just eating no carb style. If you actually read Dr. Atkins' book, he stresses eating high protein, good fats (olive oil, avocados, nuts, etc) and high fiber non processed carbohydrates at a minimal level. Very much how the most of us are eating already with a few exceptions.

I would wager that many people on this board are practically eating an Atkins style diet and dont even know it. Just with slightly more carbs.

The only really extreme part of the diet is the first week or 2 where you are virtually NO-CARB. The purpose is to rid you of your glycogen stores in the liver....so once you start the post induction period getting to the fat will take less time.

What i personally did with my "Atkins-Like" diet was to eat normal atkins style during the course of the day, then i would add some dextrose to my pre and post workout shakes. Id say those 2 shakes were probably 90% of my carbs for the day. My results were incredible to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by shansen008
    Can it? Yes, but there are so many factors that can cause this, to blame it on the diet solely isnt right. I tried my own modified version of the Atkins diet and had incredible results...and felt exactly how the first poster did. My energy levels went through the ROOF! Lost 5 inches on my waistline, al my lifts went up, etc.

Ironically enough the problem with the Atkins Diet....isnt with the diet. Its the people who think they are eating the Atkins way but really arent. If you are eating bacon and cheese all day with a hamburger patty thrown in for good measure, you arent eating Atkins style. Youre just eating no carb style. If you actually read Dr. Atkins' book, he stresses eating high protein, good fats (olive oil, avocados, nuts, etc) and high fiber non processed carbohydrates at a minimal level. Very much how the most of us are eating already with a few exceptions.

I would wager that many people on this board are practically eating an Atkins style diet and dont even know it. Just with slightly more carbs.

The only really extreme part of the diet is the first week or 2 where you are virtually NO-CARB. The purpose is to rid you of your glycogen stores in the liver....so once you start the post induction period getting to the fat will take less time.

What i personally did with my "Atkins-Like" diet was to eat normal atkins style during the course of the day, then i would add some dextrose to my pre and post workout shakes. Id say those 2 shakes were probably 90% of my carbs for the day. My results were incredible to say the least.
    Like you said. Your own modified version of it. It can be well successful if tuned properly. Low carb in the morning is just a ridiculous thought to me. That's one of the times you need carbs the most.

I agree with you though. LIke i said before people think atkins means "NO carbs at all" They are misinformed. They also think if it's "low carb" they can eat whatever they want.

I've never dabbed into glycogen depletion just because I feel carbs are the best energy source. I'am not going to say adtkins is a worthless plan cause if followed correctly people have had succes. It's the people that don't understand it that have a lot of problems. Atkins brings out some great ideas but it can be tuned I feel. When cutting my diet is very atkins like with just a bit more carbs i guess.
    Last edited by waynis; 02-22-2005 at 07:27 PM.
    Never Giving In.

Atkins is dumb, and I laugh sometimes when I see ALL THE CRAPPY PRODUCTS associated with it. Now, I laugh more when I see those around me who've done it and now are in worse health and have stopped losing weight. I told'em. Some don't listen.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

many people who have said to have tried atkins told me they dropped weight but they were always tired and felt weaker overall. I don't know exactly how well they followed the plan but that's what I hear typically from people.
    Never Giving In.

Quote Originally Posted by superior_will
    Atkins is dumb, and I laugh sometimes when I see ALL THE CRAPPY PRODUCTS associated with it.
    Dont judge the science behind it just because the American Marketing Machine got a hold of it. The science of it works and works well. Is it the most effective way of dieting? Nope, but what percentage of the population has the discipline to run UD2.0 for example?

If done right, it works. Dont bash it when you have no real knowledge of it, or whether the people you say have tried it were following it correctly either. I knew a couple who tried the Atkins diet and after a month quit because they didnt see results. I took a look at what they were eating and laughed. They were doing things like substituting heavy cream for milk in their cereal...../vomit