Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It is impossible for me to gain weight.

Wannabebig New Member

It is impossible for me to gain weight.

I am 19, and for 3 years now I have stayed the same. 6'1'', 145lbs. No matter how much or how little I eat, my weight NEVER changes. I've tried stuffing myself full at each meal, and nothing happens. I have even tried eating nothing but junk food, and I still don't gain weight. The thought of eating pure blubber has crossed my mind, but I know even that would do nothing. This friggin' sucks. I tried working out to see if that would help me build muscle that would stay on me, but that made it even worse. I ended up being hungry ALL THE TIME and couldn't keep up with myself, and even lost a couple pounds. WTF am I doing wrong, or is it all the fault of my metabolism?

lol i got 2 friends like that, u my friend are a victum of insane metabolism. i actually took like a montha and tried to make one of them fat....he gained like 5 lbs, eating like 4000 calroies a day at 160 lbs, 50% of which were fat, some ppl are just like that, only thing u can do is never ever stop eating, unless when ur lifting....have fun with that
    Height: 6' 1/2" Age: 24

Current Status: The brace is off....
    Weight: 208 lbs.

Back in action...

WBB Member
    You probably aren't eating as much as you think you are. Post a typical day's diet here.

3800+ calories my brother. I also suffer from insanely high metabolism and all I can say is to eat as many calories as physically possible and don't shy away from the fat, while gains are slow there is the upside that all the muscle mass you put on is very lean and therefore you get to avoid the painful cutting process.

Wannabebig New Member
    SpecialK: Trust me, I do eat as much as I think I do. My 275lb friend and I have the same appetite, and even he is confused! I guess I'll just have to do what spencerjrus said and eat anything within reach.

WBB Member
    Quote Originally Posted by intime
    SpecialK: Trust me, I do eat as much as I think I do. My 275lb friend and I have the same appetite, and even he is confused! I guess I'll just have to do what spencerjrus said and eat anything within reach.
    Post your diet here, I want to see. People have said that exact same thing before and then once they posted it, other members added up the cals and it came out to like 2800 or something. I'm not saying you are eating 2800, but just post it so we have an idea. Trust me, if you eat enough, you will grow. I thought I was a "hardgainer" at first but later realized that at 5k cals/day, I actually start to gain a bit of fat
    Last edited by SpecialK; 02-22-2005 at 10:39 PM.

Wannabebig New Member
    I don't have a diet, but here's what I had today:

(plenty of water to drink w/ everything)

breakfast: 5 bowls of shredded wheat, strawberry yogurt, blueberry bagel
    lunch: 2 big beef burritos, 2 bananas
    snack: 2 entire rolls of ritz crackers and an apple
    dinner: 4 hot dogs and a bag of chips
    dessert: a bowl of icecream

edit: even after all of that, I am going to get very hungry again around midnight.
    Last edited by intime; 02-22-2005 at 10:49 PM.

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    I eat 5000 cals to gain weight, and that's not 5000 cals. If you can't eat more in whole foods, by a weightgainer and make some shakes. Record down your diet at www.fitday.com , and keep increasing calories until you put on some poundage.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

edit: even after all of that, I am going to get very hungry again around midnight.
    It looks like you could adjust that a bit, and take in some quality calories. It really doens't look (i didnt add them up though) like you took in a ton of calories,a nd you need to do it in 5-6 meals a day. In your case I'd say to do it in 7-8 meals a day because of your metabolism. Don't ever let yourself feel hungry..that should be the key. Lift weights along with all this eating and beautiful muscle will sprout up..there will be no stopping it.

Quagmire wannabe

Check out
    what a bodybuilder eat's. You need to eat more quality food's. If your not gaining weight then just eat more.
    He who hesitates masturbates........

I mean this in only the most constructive way possible
    Your diet sucks. If you ever manage to add any weight eating like that it will surely be body fat and not muscle mass.
    Lunch is the only meal with a decent amount of quality protein in it.
    Your snack has almost zero protein.
    You should be getting in more than 4 meals a day.
    If I were in your shoes I would add some protein to breakfast in the form of eggs or a protein powder. Replace that useless snack with a quality mass gainer shake or a high protein/calorie meal. Eat ground sirloin burgers or some other form or red meat instead of hot dogs. And finally add 2 more meals/shakes to your daily intake. If you are hungry at midnight have something ready to eat or drink so you can down it and get back to bed.

WBB Member

well you weren't very specific with the portions and food, so it's hard to come up with a caloric estimate for that meal, but like he said, your diet is total crap. No wonder you can't gain if that's what a typical day's diet looks like. Increase the cals and read that sticky on what a bodybuilder eats to start figuring out your diet.

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Crippler
    I eat 5000 cals to gain weight, and that's not 5000 cals. If you can't eat more in whole foods, by a weightgainer and make some shakes. Record down your diet at www.fitday.com , and keep increasing calories until you put on some poundage.

Exactly, good advice.
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

"If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST

You're basically getting no protein from lunch, until breakfast the next day. That's damn near 24 hours bro without some good protein. Hotdogs and ice cream isn't the protein you want.

Banned
    Without reading this thread or even the first post I can say you fall into one of two categories:

1. hyperthyroid
    2. not eating enough food

I'll randomly guess that your problem is #2.

I put your meals into fitday and it worked out to 3800 calories. That might seem like a lot to you, but it's pretty average to the rest of us. I actually eat more than that when I'm maintaining my weight. When I'm trying to gain weight, I'm in the 5500 calorie range, and sometimes bump it up to 6000. I know there are guys on this site who eat even more than that.

So the only advice I can give, and it's the best advice you'll get, is eat more. Pretty simple, eh?
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony
    I put your meals into fitday and it worked out to 3800 calories. That might seem like a lot to you, but it's pretty average to the rest of us. I actually eat more than that when I'm maintaining my weight. When I'm trying to gain weight, I'm in the 5500 calorie range, and sometimes bump it up to 6000. I know there are guys on this site who eat even more than that.

So the only advice I can give, and it's the best advice you'll get, is eat more. Pretty simple, eh?

when you're in the 5000-6000 calories a day range how much of that is liquid?

Banned
    You can always eat calorie rich foods such as peanut butter etc.
    Also, id you drink milk the calories will add up pretty quickly as well.

Quote Originally Posted by spencerjrus
    when you're in the 5000-6000 calories a day range how much of that is liquid?
    About 4L of milk a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony
    About 4L of milk a day.

I would love to be able to drink that much, I'm at just under a gallon a day right now, (3L I think?) with all the other dairy in my diet im worried about moving it up anymore, but calories are hard to come by and milk is easy to drink and tastes good.

Yep drinking lots of milk helps me, plus I have 2 protein shakes with milk per day. I've managed to gain 25 lbs in the past 4 months after not having gained any weight for 9 years. I've been getting roughly 4,000 cals plus per day. Sounds like your metabolism is so high you may need to start even higher.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Banned
    im the same weight as you 145 but your taller but i also have a fast metabolisum to i suggest a shake 3 times a day with lots of calories (4000 per serving) i use mega mass 4000 but it is expencive if you take it 3 times a day but worth it i think

peace

nucular muscle

My staples are beef, potatoes, and milk. Everything else is bonus.

Wannabebig Member
    I always thought the same thing. I could always eat anything without gaining weight. Then when I turned 17 I got a good job and never had a chance to eat at home. I was eating fast food 3 meals a day for an estimated 5000 calories a day. I did this for 7 years straight with no excercise to speak of and I am now at 23% bf. In my opinion that is damn good and I obviously have a great metabolism. But my heart is paying the price with a whopping 327 cholesterol.

For us with high metabolism, it takes a lot more than just stuffing our faces 3 times a day. Try 5 times a day or so lol.

i would say if you have 23%bf then you prob dont have high metabolism anymore. maybe 7rs ago you did but not now
    the grass could be greener, and itll always be greener on the other side, but you just never know....this could be the one