The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Over Training Abs?

I've been doing some reading on here on previous posts about overtraining abs. Then I began to think that I'm overtraining my abs. I work my abs 6-7 days a week. I do various ab work out, but still training the same muscle. I have pretty good results training my abs if you look at the picture below, but if I only trained my abs 2-3 times a week could I get better results?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

You would most likely see a result because of the reduced volume.
    I won't go into why you shouldn't train the abs everyday.

Others will tell you why.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Why not just expirament a little? Maybe for a few months only train your abs once a week and see if you make any improvements.

It looks like you have a low bodyfat % and your abs are gonna be pretty solid either way.

layin up against a dumpster in a 100 dollar jumper, smothered in southern comfort.
    dude you look just like me, phsyique and face...how old are you?

that was seriously creepy....

3:16
    how many reps and sets do you do for abs?

i trian abs about once a week. though i train them very heavily and go for about 8 reps. so my abs have DOMS the next day so trianing them would make them smaller. But if your doing like 50+ rep sets then its going to have a different effect on your body and doing them more frequently is less likley to result in over training, though your diet is probably the main reason your abs look good as you do look lean.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

Accipiter, I'm 22. That is pretty weird we look the same. Wish I could see a pic of you so I can see the resemblance also. I have a question for you, do you have any problems picking up chicks? For some reason I do.. I have not a clue why, I mean I'm talking about absolute 0.. I mean I know I'm not the best looking guy around, but damn, I think I should be able to pick up at least 1 girl.. Maybe they are intimidated because I have somewhat of a body????

Body, for my sets what I do is 2 sets of 15 weighted crunches with my morning workout and then before I go to sleep I'll do various high rep workouts.. Would I see better improvements if I maybe added 1 more set to my weighted crunches and only do them 2 or 3 times a week? I'm thinking about trying that out for about a month and see the results and then go from there.

3:16
    I do even heavier weights and go for about 8 reps. though the machines does go heavier otherwise i would as for me personally i am after my strenght than size and my stomach is big enough.

if you keep your diet good and do big compound exercise like squats, over head press etc where your abs help stabilize etc. your abs should be fine trianing once a week, they may get better as abs like other body parts need time to recover.
    When you do 15 reps is it to or near faluire? as if you can do like 30 reps with the weight then there is not likley to be enough stimulus for you. so thats why your not over trianing doing that volume and frequency of bas.
    Remember abs are muscles which need time to recover and grow.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

layin up against a dumpster in a 100 dollar jumper, smothered in southern comfort.
    yeah actually, I know what you mean about the ladies. I'm a few months past 20.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by CBates
    [B]For some reason I do.. I have not a clue why, I mean I'm talking about absolute 0.. I mean I know I'm not the best looking guy around, but damn, I think I should be able to pick up at least 1 girl.. Maybe they are intimidated because I have somewhat of a body????

-----------------

Well i don't know why you have a problem. You are a very goodlooking guy with a nice body, you also seem to have a great personality. Maybe they are intimidated thinking and great guy like you wouldnt be interested in them. OR then there are the girls that conisder guys who works out to be asses just for the fact they work out If you like someone or are interested in them, strike up a convo, be yourself and see how it goes. Ask a gril out for dinner to a movie...something like that
    WHEN LIFE ****S YOU IN THE ASS, YOU GOTTA JUST TURN IT AROUND AND **** IT RIGHT BACK!!!!!! - ME

I am a fatass thank you very much! LOL

Bodylicious Babe

My max bench is @110 x 8

then again.....this might be your problem right here....
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

Abs are apparently 100% fast twitch muscle, and can be trained approx every other day. As such no more than 10 reps should be done before faliure occurs. Thats what i read anyway. Then you see a guy like Bruce Lee who did insane ab workouts 6 days a week (he had sundays off) . According to his diary every morning from 7 am to 9 am he performed stomach and flexibility exrecises. for example: 4 sets of 90 reps waist twists, 4 sets of 20 rep sit-up twists, 4 sets of 20 rep leg raises, 4 sets of 50 rep leaning twists, 4 sets of 50 rep frog kicks. And just look at bruce's abs, talk about being able to grate cheese! But then again this was a man who could perform 50 one armed pullups behind his neck! As for ab intensity and frequency, seems to be a matter of personal preference.
    Failure is a privelage reserved for those who do not try hard enough

Originally posted by jock
    As such no more than 10 reps should be done before faliure occurs. Thats what i read anyway.
    I don't believe this to be true. You can't say that you should do this many reps for this bodypart and be totally correct. I don't think it works like that.

Bruce might have done a million crunches daily, but did he use resistance or even go through a full range of motion when he trained?

Of course science and personal opinion will often be different. But science suggests that .....abdominal muscles are white muscle fibres and need to be trained with maximum resistance for total fatigue in as short a time as possible. That point should be reached with never more than 12 repetitions and preferably no more than 10..........Abdomina muscles have the ability to recover rapidly, so train them three or four times a week, not once or twice, as for other muscle groups..........tuttut

The root is the fulcrum on which will rest the expression of your soul; the root is the "starting point" of all natural manifestation. If the root is not right, so ,too, will be all of its manifestations.

very deep.

jigga what!?(at tryska)

Higher intensity, lower volume ...basically if you blasted your abs 2-3 days a week instead of what you currently are you should see some nice results

ha ha..i was just commenting on jocks sig. very interesting quote? i guess?

then again.....this might be your problem right here....
    Actually that was just a joke, that is completely the opposite of me. Well, maybe all of it is B.S. except for the Genius part....

hmm..maybe that's it then.......maybe you are too much of a genius for them, and they are all intimidated?

hmm..maybe that's it then.......maybe you are too much of a genius for them, and they are all intimidated?
    Ya know, your probably right.. Problem solved, I'll just act like a complete dumbass when I go out, I'll have no problems picking up chicks then!!!

and Celestial, thank you for the kind comments.. I'll take your advice also and see how that goes. Thanks

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    Originally posted by jock
    But then again this was a man who could perform 50 one armed pullups behind his neck
    Do wha?? I don't believe that for a friggin second. Where'd you hear that?
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

"All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

Pearls of Wisdom...

Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

And no COLON jokes, bastards!

sounds possible to me.

why was cbates post deleted? pfft..

Originally posted by CBates

and Celestial, thank you for the kind comments.. I'll take your advice also and see how that goes. Thanks
    No problem...act like yourself Let us know how it goes!
    WHEN LIFE ****S YOU IN THE ASS, YOU GOTTA JUST TURN IT AROUND AND **** IT RIGHT BACK!!!!!! - ME

I am a fatass thank you very much! LOL

Bodylicious Babe

My max bench is @110 x 8

Do wha?? I don't believe that for a friggin second. Where'd you hear that?
    I was reported in an eye witness account from one of his training partners in the late 60's. I also find it hard to believe. Having said that did you ever see the film he made entitled "the way of the dragon"? The scene where Bruce inflates his lats, **** man he looked like a friggin cobra! And i saw a film with Jet Li in it once where he knocks of close to 20 one arm pullups behind his neck.

Equal Opportunity Offender Budiak's Avatar
    Bruce Lee also weighed about 25 lbs.

As for the chicks, perhaps the girls think you're gay. From that picture you seem to be an attractive, clean cut and straight laced guy witha sense of humor. Since you dont seem to be a complete bastard, you must be gay. I have the same problem. Seems to be if you're a nice guy you've got to be a homo. The number of girls who have approached me can be counted on one hand, but the number of guys who have damn near sexually assaulted me are too numerous to record.