The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar

I'm probably going to give up weightlifting for 2 years...

...because I'm Mormon (religion) and as some of you may know, we Mormons go on missions (leaving your home for 2 years, preaching the gospel) at around age 19-21. For me, going on a mission is a priority higher than my weightlifting, but I just don't want to lose all that muscle mass that I've worked so hard to gain because there are no opportunities to weightlift on your mission (closest thing to it that you could do is pushups, situps, and maybe chinups).

Do you guys think that when I come home after 2 years, it will take a long time to regain what I've worked hard to gain? =/

I can just imagine getting home from my mission after 2 years and I'll be benching like 150 lbs. or something, and be thinking to myself- "Man, I used to bench 300 lbs.!"

Btw, I'm 15 years old right now, so in 4 years or a little bit less than that, I'll be going on my mission. I just don't want to become a piece of crap after not lifting for 2 years. I feel so defeated right now, just thinking about it. I feel like I'm never going to be as big as I could've been if I don't go, and I just feel like I'm never going to reach my weightlifting goals.

Don't get me wrong...going on a mission really IS a higher priority than weightlifting, but weightlifting is a really high priority too. I'm just worried... And at what age is generally the peak of our strength and endurance?
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 02-23-2005 at 06:33 PM.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

where exactly will you be going?

even if there is absolutly no weight lifting equipment if you realy want to lift (I'm pretty sure if you're serious in a 2 year time span you'll crave lifting atleast once) you can always use something other than actual weights. If need be fill a bag with sand or jugs with water. Hopefully theres a scale wherever you're going so you can measure how much you're lifting but if you don't have that then I guess you'll just have to play it by ear.

cut block extraordinaire
    Just continue lifting. When you do go on your mission you will be able to do push ups etc. This wont keep your bench at 300, but it will be better than nothing. And you may be able to get in a gym session every now and then.

I am a Mormon also. Maybe you can find a gym to lift at where ever they send you. but if you dont lift yes you will loose it. But it will come back fast when you start lifting. Just lift you dont have anything better to do anyways.
    Last edited by Darracq; 02-23-2005 at 06:46 PM.

That's a tough spot you're gonna be in.

Although I always turn the mormon boys away at the door (I'm happy where I am in life), I try to let them know that I respect the sacrifice they've made for their beliefs. Without getting into a debate on a sensitive subject (or turning the thread around), I don't think it's fair to set you guys up to do this at an early age before your opinions have matured enough to know if that's how you really feel about things. I changed a lot of my conservative Christian opinions after even age 20, and can't imagine what I would have done for my church at 17-18-19. I think that God doesn't jude us as harshly as our fellow church members do, and it took me along time to realize this. I still applaud you dedication, though.

I'm sure you guys aren't going to stay in many hotels/sponsored homes with a gym, and all I've ever seen mormons doing is a lot of walking/bike riding between neighborhoods. I imagine with the largely fast-food diet, and extreme abounts of cardio that you're gonna drop a signifigant about of weight and it might not be a bad idea to put on a decent bit of fat before you set off, and try like hell to keep that weight on while you're out there witnessing (the goal being to minimize loss, and still keep your muscle if possible). Other than that, if you have any type of car transportation between bed-downs for the night, then try to take some 50lb adjustable dumbells or something. Find chinup locations throughout the day (you're gonna sweat regardless, so just do them in your shirt and tie..lol). I'm not sure if there are some rules of simplicity for doing without and all, but if not just try to do what you can. You're gonna get plenty of cardio, though.

Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes
    ...because I'm Mormon (religion) and as some of you may know, we Mormons go on missions (leaving your home for 2 years, preaching the gospel) at around age 19-21. For me, going on a mission is a priority higher than my weightlifting, but I just don't want to lose all that muscle mass that I've worked so hard to gain because there are no opportunities to weightlift on your mission (closest thing to it that you could do is pushups, situps, and maybe chinups).

Do you guys think that when I come home after 2 years, it will take a long time to regain what I've worked hard to gain? =/

I can just imagine getting home from my mission after 2 years and I'll be benching like 150 lbs. or something, and be thinking to myself- "Man, I used to bench 300 lbs.!"

Btw, I'm 15 years old right now, so in 4 years or a little bit less than that, I'll be going on my mission. I just don't want to become a piece of crap after not lifting for 2 years. I feel so defeated right now, just thinking about it. I feel like I'm never going to be as big as I could've been if I don't go, and I just feel like I'm never going to reach my weightlifting goals.

Don't get me wrong...going on a mission really IS a higher priority than weightlifting, but weightlifting is a really high priority too. I'm just worried... And at what age is generally the peak of our strength and endurance?
    Dont worry about it bro. I, for one, am impressed with your dedication. Also many people are able to work out (and even attend gyms) on their missions. 30 minutes of exercise minimum is actually encouraged by the church throughout your mission, you just have to find the time yourself and your companion has to be willing to come along.
    It all depends on where you go and your mission president.

And to add, there are quite few D1 football players (especially from my area) who made the decision your making. Some of them come back and continue playing at that level or higher, some never play again. Either way they never say they regret it.
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

"If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST

Thanks for all the replies, guys. No, the church doesn't force anyone to go on missions, nor is it required, but simply by my own decision. I don't know where I'm going on my mission, because you don't get to choose for yourself. But if I go out of country (out of the US), there's a good chance I won't be able to get any lifting time in. But if I do happen to stay in the US, there's a greater chance of me being able to lift (although it still sounds unlikely).

But I haven't really ever heard of people weight training on their missions before. And about carrying around DBs, lol I doubt that will happen. Most missionaries walk a lot, and no we don't get fancy hotels or anything. Just enough to get by and do what we need to do. So, I'll probably end up using wrestlemaniac's idea with the water/sand in jugs and stuff.

And Darracq, are you sure my muscle will come back fast when I begin lifting again? Does my body remember that I used to lift or something? Wouldn't I gain muscle at like the same rate at someone who has the same strength as me when I come home from my mission (assuming we're both similar in body size and genetics and dedication and all that stuff)?

And can anyone answer my question: at what age in our lives are we humans generally at the peak of our strength and endurance?
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Banned
    Its in 4 years, lots of things can change by then...you might rethink your priorities.

My bad fixation..I thought you guys had to go or you were shunned (or something to that
    respect). Good luck. A full milk jug weighs 8lbs I think. Food (or is it drink?) for thought.

Congratulations on putting your Religion ahead of your body goals. God above all.

Just do your best to keep in shape.

What others were speaking of is muscle memory, the nerve pathways can be relit alot faster if you've lifted weights (for a few years) then quit, and are lifting again rather than lifting for the first time. Either way, after 2 years you'll have newbie gains again, plus muscle memory. So with hard work, you could probably be back to where you are in half the time. Good luck.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

Quote Originally Posted by superior_will
    Either way, after 2 years you'll have newbie gains again, plus muscle memory. So with hard work, you could probably be back to where you are in half the time. Good luck.
    Agreed.
    People peak at different ages, and it comes down to training etc. Ronnie is 42 and who's to say he's even peaked yet.

Training will depend mostly on where you go, but during that time other things will be a priority, just do your best with what you have available. You can get by and maintain some strength/fitness. Have fun bro, my little brother leaves very soon too.

--Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    30th U.S. President

Wannabebig Member
    I'm sure a lotta ppl are wondering..but what exactly do these missions entail? Can you give us some examples of what types of missions mormons undertake? I'm curious and haven't heard of it before..

honestly i wouldn't worry about it. you're 15 now, not even done growing yet. there's plenty of time left to work out.

good luck

Quote Originally Posted by bc2004
    I'm sure a lotta ppl are wondering..but what exactly do these missions entail? Can you give us some examples of what types of missions mormons undertake? I'm curious and haven't heard of it before..
    Well, my brother just recently returned from Brazil where he served his mission for 2 years. Six days of every week, he worked all day...studying the scriptures, and mainly going proselyting (walking everywhere, had no cars) in which some places he had to walk over an hour just to get to one house, and sometimes the person wouldn't even be home, so he had to walk all the way back, and then walk to other houses (I could look on the bright side, and call this one crazy long cut...heh). By the way, all of this is done in pairs. Every few months or so, he received a new companion with whom he would work with.

On his off-day, which was once a week, he would sleep in and rest, go to the store and buy things that he and his companion needed, and maybe go do service for some people who needed help (e.g. helping someone move), and just get everything done that he needed to do that day...because the rest of the week he'd be working (studying, proselyting). Also, one of the things he would do every week on his off-day is send/receive emails to/from his family/friends.

Every few months he would also switch areas...going to a different part of Brazil to do more studying/proselyting...you get the general idea.

And when he and his companion were successful, they would baptize the people who wanted to join the church. Just to give you a general idea on how successful missionaries can be: All of the missionaries in his mission (in the city of Ribeirao Preto, and about 100 missionaries) baptized 2004 people (not 2003 nor 2005, but exactly 2004, lol, it just worked out that way) which was their goal. This year, they will have a goal of 2005 people...next year 2006, you get the idea. So, they work pretty hard down there in Brazil...and I'm sure that missionaries in other countries work equally as hard.

So, getting back to bodybuilding-related terms, if I go out of the country, I'll most likely be walking a lot like my brother...this will surely make me lose lots of weight. Not to mention I'll be eating a lot less on my mission (one meal a day is given to you by members of the church, and the rest of the day, you just eat snacks at home which you buy at the store on your off-day). So, I'll be sure to lose lots of muscle and fat. But if I stay in the US, I'll most likely have a car to drive around...meaning I won't walk nearly as much, meaning that I won't lose as much weight. Also, if I stay in the US, I'll have a lot greater chances to find time to weightlift/exercise when I have free time (which is hardly any while on a mission...just your one off-day a week, and maybe a little bit of time each morning if you wake up early enough...but most missionaries sleep 7-8 hours on a regular basis, so if I wake up earlier, I'll have even less sleep which will not benefit my body at all).

So, one could say I'm pretty much screwed in terms of being able to workout and trying to conserve muscle and fat during the two years I'm out on my mission. But, if I could wish for one thing, I'd wish that when I return home from my mission, my legs aren't as skinny as Brad Pitt's. Amen.
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 02-23-2005 at 09:23 PM.
    Lifting Journal

Quagmire wannabe
    It's 4 years away. Like someone else said, a lot of things can happen between now and then. Look at your choices when it's closer to happening.
    He who hesitates masturbates........

-darius19 and fen2zla, that's true: it is 4 years away, but I'm saying all this assuming that I don't change my mind and do go on my mission. And I'm pretty sure that's what will happen...but who knows? Anything can happen.
    Lifting Journal

Fixation..question for you,

never mind..i deleted it..I don't want to start some big debate on your thread...sorry
    Last edited by Patz; 02-23-2005 at 09:19 PM.

You can PM me the question. I won't take it personally or anything.
    Lifting Journal

You've got time bro, just continue on now with your church and bodybuilding goals. I know a few people that worked out 4+ times a day on their mission, but that means waking up at 5am or earlier, which means your companion has to be willing to do it as well.

And I searched for a frequently asked question on what missionary life is like since I didnt go and It would take me forever to type basically what it entails. But couldnt find a good one. Basically a mission is super structured, from 5:30 am till 9pm your busy all the time either trying to meet people to teach or performing service or attending services (church meetings) of some type. Can't watch TV, or listen to radio etc. Older couples go on missions as well as women around 21 years of age. Mostly it's about proselyting.

--Abraham Lincoln

30th U.S. President

-Smalls, the people you know may have worked out a lot on their mission, but I doubt I'll have time. But even then, I still don't know exactly what will happen. And it's not all about working out. Being on a mission, I won't be eating that much, won't be resting much, and probably won't be working out very often if I do. Simply because missionaries are very busy and go on missions with pretty much one goal in mind: conversion (along with strengthening of their own spiritualities of their own and of others).

And btw, I posted a few paragraphs about what missionaries' lives are like. check Post #15.
    Lifting Journal

And I know that for me, going on a mission is a higher priority than weightlifting. But for some reason, I just can't get over the fact that for 2 years I'm going to lose all my hard-gained muscle. I just feel so defeated...

And I know you guys said to not worry about it and to just do the best I can on my mission, trying to squeeze in as much workout time as possible and that I can gain it back later. But I just feel like when I return home from my mission after losing all that hard work, that I'll never get as far in weightlifting as I could've if I didn't go on a mission and just stayed home and worked out. I feel like crap right now...I feel like I'm working hard for nothing and that the more I work out right now, the more time I'm wasting for nothing... -_-

I seriously feel so bummed right now. I feel like I'm never going to reach my goals now. And I feel like when I start lifting again after the 2 years of my mission, I'll always be saying- "Well, I could've been even stronger!" And when I do get stronger, I'll still be saying- "Well, I still could've been stronger..." So, basically, I feel like I'll never be as strong as I could have been if I didn't go on my mission.

I just feel like I'm never going to be able to be the best that I could've been. And I'm all about being the best that I can be. If I'm not, then I strive to be better...but it just sucks that I could've and would've been better if I hadn't let those 2 years just shrink me into the piece of crap I was before I started weightlifting. Also, I feel like I'm always going to be behind now...and then I'm never going to catch up. Because even if I do make lots of gains when I come home from my mission, I'm always going to be able to say- "I could've and would've already have passed that max a long time ago if I could've been working out those 2 years." Am I ever going to be able to be at or even higher then I could've been had I not gone on my mission? Or am I never going to be able to reach as high as I could've reached? And will it take long for me to be at where I could've been at had I not gone on a mission? Or for my whole life, will I be weaker and crappier than I could've been?

But I'd probably feel worse if I decided not to go on a mission. I guess I'm screwed either way.

Sorry, I just had to express the way I feel. It helps me to feel better when I express my emotions to other people. And I know that I probably repeated myself a lot, and contradicted myself a lot, but forgive me because it's late at night and when I'm expressing how I feel like that, I tend to just babble a lot about stuff that doesn't make sense. And I know I'm taking this really seriously...but weightlifting is important to me. I know I'm not even that great right now, but weightlifting has merely become such a huge part of my life. I'll just be so sad if my dreams are taken away from me.

I'm going to bed now. I hope I feel better in the morning. Sorry if I made little sense.
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 02-23-2005 at 11:33 PM.
    Lifting Journal

You should get a bunch of those jump-stretch bands. They're lightweight and you could do a number of lifts with just them. Maybe make some sort of platform you can keep in the bottom of your suitcase. You have 4 years to think up a way to make it work.

Grasshoppa
    Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes

Improvise. There are other things you can use to lift other than gym weights.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

Wannabebig Member
    There are lots of options if you can't make it to a gym.

How many of the following can you do?

- Clap/one-arm/finger/fist pushups
    - One arm pull-ups
    - Pull-ups with improvised weights
    - Handstand pushups
    - Learn now to walk on your hands
    - Dips between chairs
    - Free squats/step things on a chair or whatever
    - lots of sit ups holding improvised weights

Ok, you won't gain tons of bulk, but you will stay strong and fit. And well positioned to start lifting again once you're back home.

If you put your mind to it you can probably think of dozens more improvised exercises you can do.

If I were you I'd actually insist to travel outside the US. Travel and meeting new people/cultures can develop you in ways iron never can.
    Last edited by mikieg_99; 02-24-2005 at 02:05 AM.