The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I knew this buff mormon guy and they sent him to Guatamala where he basically starved for 2 years. No amount of excercise is going to help you if you aren't getting enough to eat. Better hope you go someplace nice.

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Thanks for the replies, guys. So, if I make it to the gym to lift at least once a week, and then improvise at home like Shao-LiN and mikieg_99 said to do, do you think I could still make gains while on my mission? Or could I retain my muscle? Or would I just slowly go downhill?
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

I suggest you change religions immediately

Quote Originally Posted by GMCtrk
    Are you serious or joking? I can't tell.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes
    Thanks for the replies, guys. So, if I make it to the gym to lift at least once a week, and then improvise at home like Shao-LiN and mikieg_99 said to do, do you think I could still make gains while on my mission? Or could I retain my muscle? Or would I just slowly go downhill?
    If you can lift twice a week you can make gains with the right program; less than that I think you'd have a hard time gaining. If you can go once a week you could definitely maintain most of your strength though.

I think you have a lot of time until you're 19...just train as hard as you can for the next couple of years...you have my respect for sacrificing something you love to do for yourself in order to do something for others

Thanks for the reponses guys. I'll make the best of things.
    Lifting Journal

Quote Originally Posted by GMCtrk
    Seconded.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Ive known quite a few missionaries, and they have a very full schedule...i doubt youll have time to do any real lifting. If you do get into pushups and stuff like that tot he point that it takes up too many hours, you will mos tlikely come under scrutinization from your peers and mission president. If anyone gives you crap about it, just remind them that your body is like a temple unto god....you are simply glorifying it. That will shut em up .

I wouldnt worry too much about food while youre away either. All the missionaries ive known have come home fatter than when they left hehe. As much as some people may make fun of them for what they do, there are ten times more that will admire you for it and feed you like an italian mother .

Quote Originally Posted by PowerManDL
    Seconded.
    I sure hope you're not serious.
    Lifting Journal

I absolutely am.

But my disagreement with organized religion isn't relevant to this topic.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Alright, fair enough. You just gave your opinion.
    Lifting Journal

Quote Originally Posted by shansen008
    Ive known quite a few missionaries, and they have a very full schedule...i doubt youll have time to do any real lifting. If you do get into pushups and stuff like that tot he point that it takes up too many hours, you will mos tlikely come under scrutinization from your peers and mission president. If anyone gives you crap about it, just remind them that your body is like a temple unto god....you are simply glorifying it. That will shut em up .

I wouldnt worry too much about food while youre away either. All the missionaries ive known have come home fatter than when they left hehe. As much as some people may make fun of them for what they do, there are ten times more that will admire you for it and feed you like an italian mother .
    The church strongly recomends every missionary engage in 30 minutes of physical activity every day, so I'm not sure who would be scrutinizing him.
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

"If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST

Quote Originally Posted by smalls
    The church strongly recomends every missionary engage in 30 minutes of physical activity every day, so I'm not sure who would be scrutinizing him.
    This isn't enough to keep muscle mass given the limitations of most missions.

A few years ago, there was a (I think) a one-time pro-QB prospect but he went on his mission and basically got fat and much weaker. He had enough time to practie throwing, but not enough time to workout otherwise. That's the breaks man. It ain't a sacrifice if it's easy. Damn, I wish I could find that article.

Maybe you can go build a temple for your mission. Construction will keep you strong!

And don't be so damn cheerful. That's the only thing I hate about Mormons is how god damn polite and friendly you all are. It ain't right. I don't like the whole war with the US stuff either, but bygones, eh?

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    This isn't enough to keep muscle mass given the limitations of most missions.

A few years ago, there was a (I think) a one-time pro-QB prospect but he went on his mission and basically got fat and much weaker. He had enough time to practie throwing, but not enough time to workout otherwise. That's the breaks man. It ain't a sacrifice if it's easy. Damn, I wish I could find that article.

Maybe you can go build a temple for your mission. Construction will keep you strong!

And don't be so damn cheerful. That's the only thing I hate about Mormons is how god damn polite and friendly you all are. It ain't right. I don't like the whole war with the US stuff either, but bygones, eh?
    I was just addressing the post above mine about his about him getting in trouble for working out on his mission, which wouldnt happen unless he neglected his duties. Genetics will probably be the biggest determinant to how much he holds onto. Either way, most people who do it, say it's worth it.

--Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    30th U.S. President

Wannabebig Member
    If you think it's going to trash your body, it will. If you think you will be able to maintain or increase your strength, it will. You will make it work if you want it that way.

There will always be places in your life where you could have done differently or chosen a different path. Everyone has regrets and everyone has decisions they are glad they made. Get it in your head that you are going to increase your strength while you are on your mission and you'll figure out a way to make it happen. Maybe you won't have the absolute strength, maybe it will be strength-endurance or speed-strength. Just make it happen.

man, there's literally a ton of stuff around you that you could pick up. Squat with logs, pick up big rocks, all sorts of stuff. You might think this is a joke, but indians seriously trained this way in preparation for war. Plyometrics with big rocks will certainly not hurt your physique.

I'd get a pulley, rope and burlap bag. Fill the bag with sand/rocks, tie it up, put it through the pulley, and you've got pull-downs, i did this when i was 15 on the farm for wide grip pulldowns. Worse comes to worse, just throw it up over a branch and do 'em that way.

there's all sorts of stuff.

kd

If religion is so important to you as to give up lifting, don't worry about loosing muscle.. I'm sure your god will come through with another miracle and let you keep those muscles and strenght. What's the first miracle?

you benching 300 lbs at your age and stats

Alleluia !
    Eat Tuna!
    "Ya don't touch my tuna, I don't kill you."- by Tuna Master
    "Part of getting what you want is knowing what you have to give up." - by who knows. ME? Eat Tuna!
    My Journal - My FitDay -

I don't bench 300 pounds. I wish I could lol. It was just an example of me losing lots of my muscle. But anyways, I'm not so sad about it anymore. Like the others said, I will find a way to go on my mission and work out or at least do my best at it. Anyway, when I come home from my mission, I'll be sure to come back strong harder than ever.
    Lifting Journal

Quote Originally Posted by smalls
    Re-read my post next time, youll note that i said "if he psends TOO MANY HOURS"....

Hes the one going on the mission...he knows he gets his 30 minutes. It sounds to me like he also knows that 30 minutes wont be enough. I was a part of his church, ive known many missionaries. His superiors wont be viewing that 30 minutes the same way we do.....they will count his walking/biking to someones house as meeting that requirement.

Quote Originally Posted by shansen008
    Re-read my post next time, youll note that i said "if he psends TOO MANY HOURS"....

Hes the one going on the mission...he knows he gets his 30 minutes. It sounds to me like he also knows that 30 minutes wont be enough. I was a part of his church, ive known many missionaries. His superiors wont be viewing that 30 minutes the same way we do.....they will count his walking/biking to someones house as meeting that requirement.
    Dont get so defensive bro, I wasnt trying to be a jerk or anything. How his superiors view it is completely up to them, each mission president is slightly different. But most people I know who engaged in physical activity on their mission did it completely seperate from the 9-10 hours of tracking they did. It meant waking up at 5am or earlier. I am a member and know quite a few people who are currently out or have recently returned, my brother leaves in a few months and my sister has been back for a few years. I was just stating that making the time to be physically active is certainly not frowned upon. And in many places missionaries have memberships to gyms, depending on their location and monetary status. I think we all agree that if it's that important to him, it's not gonna be that big a deal to take the time off.
    Last edited by smalls; 02-27-2005 at 10:58 AM.

--Abraham Lincoln

30th U.S. President

suprarob
    Smalls, YOUR a MORMON ????

Yeah, I know I probably won't have much time to work out (other than walking/biking), but for me it's a higher priority than lifting, so I'll just have to make the best of things...finding some way to work out.
    Lifting Journal

Quote Originally Posted by suprarob
    Smalls, YOUR a MORMON ????
    Dyed in the wool baby. (the mormons will get that)

Yes, but I would ask you not to judge my religion based on your interpretation of me. While I do follow the far majority of the principles set forth by the gospel I am not a very active member, and many of my actions are sub-par.

--Abraham Lincoln

30th U.S. President

Wannabebig New Member
    I'm with GMC and Powerman . What an incredible waste of time .

Walk for two hours to someones house and they might not be home ??? You got to be kidding me . Get a car .

Your bro didnt walk down to Brazil did he ?? He probably took a plane , You can take a plane but cars are a no-no . Stupid beyond belief .

Can you achieve your same goals in life without wasting so much time and effort . Your God gave you a brain so use it . When you just walk , hoping someone is home that is called poor planning , that results from not using your brain .
    Give me your broken , give me your beaten ... I will build them up , I will lead them ... to the threshhold . Make you stronger , make you believe .