Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I'm probably going to give up weightlifting for 2 years...

Quote Originally Posted by Brawl
    I'm with GMC and Powerman . What an incredible waste of time .

Walk for two hours to someones house and they might not be home ??? You got to be kidding me . Get a car .

Your bro didnt walk down to Brazil did he ?? He probably took a plane , You can take a plane but cars are a no-no . Stupid beyond belief .

Can you achieve your same goals in life without wasting so much time and effort . Your God gave you a brain so use it . When you just walk , hoping someone is home that is called poor planning , that results from not using your brain .
    Cars arent a "no-no". In some situations they are not very feasable or necassary. In many industrialized nations cars are used, depending on the size of the area the missionaries will cover. My friend went to guatemala were he spent half his time hiking up mountains to talk to people who lived in huts, a car would not have helped him in this endeavor. Another friend went to Canada where he had a very broad area to cover, he had a car. Does that make sense.
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

"If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST

Quote Originally Posted by smalls
    Dont get so defensive bro, I wasnt trying to be a jerk or anything. How his superiors view it is completely up to them, each mission president is slightly different. But most people I know who engaged in physical activity on their mission did it completely seperate from the 9-10 hours of tracking they did. It meant waking up at 5am or earlier. I am a member and know quite a few people who are currently out or have recently returned, my brother leaves in a few months and my sister has been back for a few years. I was just stating that making the time to be physically active is certainly not frowned upon. And in many places missionaries have memberships to gyms, depending on their location and monetary status. I think we all agree that if it's that important to him, it's not gonna be that big a deal to take the time off.

Sorry if i came off defensive, wasnt meant that way Smalls.....its all good. One more thing ill add too, it depends on where you go for your mission. Many of your meals are provided by members where you are serving, so depending where you go your body may or may not be tuned to eat what they are used to. I had a friedn who went on a spanish speaking mission to New York...all she was eating was latino food for 18 months.....and she was practically a vegetarian when she left. She came back at the same weight but obviously much chubbier.

Ive never heard of missionaries having memberships to Gyms, but if so thats great. I dopnt know when they would have time to go though. Al the missionaries i know hardly had time in their day for anything besides studying scripture, teaching scripture, doing service, eating, sleeping...rinse repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by shansen008
    Sorry if i came off defensive, wasnt meant that way Smalls.....its all good. One more thing ill add too, it depends on where you go for your mission. Many of your meals are provided by members where you are serving, so depending where you go your body may or may not be tuned to eat what they are used to. I had a friedn who went on a spanish speaking mission to New York...all she was eating was latino food for 18 months.....and she was practically a vegetarian when she left. She came back at the same weight but obviously much chubbier.

Ive never heard of missionaries having memberships to Gyms, but if so thats great. I dopnt know when they would have time to go though. Al the missionaries i know hardly had time in their day for anything besides studying scripture, teaching scripture, doing service, eating, sleeping...rinse repeat.
    It's cool man, no biggie. I have actually only heard of a few people who had memberships and they where all in the same area. But I have heard of a few people who had a universal gym in a basement that everyone in the area used. But it's true, either way it's not going to be a big priority.

--Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    30th U.S. President

Quote Originally Posted by Brawl
    I'm with GMC and Powerman . What an incredible waste of time .

Walk for two hours to someones house and they might not be home ??? You got to be kidding me . Get a car .

Your bro didnt walk down to Brazil did he ?? He probably took a plane , You can take a plane but cars are a no-no . Stupid beyond belief .

Can you achieve your same goals in life without wasting so much time and effort . Your God gave you a brain so use it . When you just walk , hoping someone is home that is called poor planning , that results from not using your brain .
    Dont be so antagonistic man, they do the best they can with what they have to work with. You realize that these people get sent off to some very third world areas where having a car doesnt make a lot of sense because there arent even suitable roads, much less phone lines? Stop ASSuming so much. There is a lot of misinformation regarding their Church, as well as ignorance. If you read something and it seems so far out of this world as to not make any sense to you, then you probably arent understanding it correctly. So ask questions next time.

Lol Brawl that was fun, I have to chip in now.

Fixation, how about you just change religion dude? I mean, you're gonna go trekking around wasting your time trying to change everyone elses religion, but you wont listen to those of us who tell you to change your beliefs.

How would you like it if some weird voodoo culture decided to get the Mormon phone directory and visit every single family, to convert Mormons over to the dark side because their god said it was the purpose of life?

Suppose you'd all just think that your religion was best, and judge voodoo people as misguided.

Religions are for the weak. Lifting iron can be a religion, combine the two, your body is a temple! Oh, and be nice to people. sorted.
    Age 29 | Height: 5'11 | Weight: 176 lbs (a while ago) | Weight: 180 lbs (2-Nov-05) | Weight: 181 lbs (8-Nov-05)

Actually Fix, on a more serious note. Dont worry about that far in the future. It sounds like you're starting out with training, and worried it will be a waste of time because you'll lose your muscles.

Dont worry, it will be worth all the effort, even if you did lose some muscles while on the mission. You'll still have had muscles until then, and if you do what you can with push ups, pull ups, home-made weights, and eat everything in sight. Then you will still be in great shape when you come back. Plus, it will be easier to get back where you were when you left, look up "muscle memory".

So go for it dude! :-)
    Age 29 | Height: 5'11 | Weight: 176 lbs (a while ago) | Weight: 180 lbs (2-Nov-05) | Weight: 181 lbs (8-Nov-05)

Quote Originally Posted by IRN-BRU

How would you like it if some weird voodoo culture decided to get the Mormon phone directory and visit every single family, to convert Mormons over to the dark side because their god said it was the purpose of life?
    I live in Salt Lake and it happens here every single day. We have southern baptists make specific trips here for that purpose. Protesters stand outside temple square everyday with bullhorns and huge signs.
    The church has recently come out with statements on how we need to be much more tolerant of these people and their views. We have other religions address the hierachy of the church all the time, and the mormon tabernacle choir sings with other groups very often, so hey at least were tryin.

This guy asked specific questions based on how to maintain strength/size while on his mission. I dont understand why people come here spouting their opinion on a different subject like it matters.
    Last edited by smalls; 02-27-2005 at 07:16 PM.

--Abraham Lincoln

30th U.S. President

DUDE buy bands. They are light and you can take em anywhere. You can do anything with them too. Work your whole body. And man you got 4 years to go. Just relax.. you could be a whole different person in 4 years.
    Never Giving In.

suprarob
    Quote Originally Posted by smalls
    Dyed in the wool baby. (the mormons will get that)

Yes, but I would ask you not to judge my religion based on your interpretation of me. While I do follow the far majority of the principles set forth by the gospel I am not a very active member, and many of my actions are sub-par.
    I don't hate you Smalls, but you we're pretty mean to me in previous posts. So you could work on being more tolerant of others...including me! Remember "people judge a tree by the fruit it bears".

So throw a little fertalizer around your tree and pick the fruit before it is overripe and smells offensive to others!!!

I am not an over religious person but I have read the NWT and the NIV translation bibles. I'm currently reading the Living bible and hope to read every translation before I die! and YES I forgive you.

Rob.

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    GMC, Powerman, Brawl, IRN-BRU:

First of all, I am not a Mormon just for the heck of it. I don't join/leave religions like its a game. It's a lot more serious to me than you guys think it is. So, next time you tell me to "change my religion," think about what that might actually mean to me.

And Brawl, most people don't even have phones in Brazil and there are very few cars. How the heck do you think he can afford a car down there? So, next time, don't bash me when you don't even have your facts straight. You tell me: without phones or cars, what is an easy way to know whether or not someone is home? Poor planning...yeah, sure.

And IRN-BRU, no I don't think my religion is better than everyone else's. Stop assuming my beliefs. And you think that you're giving me a good reason to change my beliefs just by posting a few sentences? Do you think that's what my brother did down in Brazil...just typed a few things to people and hoped for conversion? No, they actually work with the people to achieve it.

I didn't start this thread to ask you guys for your opinions on my religion, did I? I was asking you guys if I would lose a lot of my muscle, and what I could do to prevent some of it?

And thanks to those who posted in this thread and actually gave me encouragement/advice, and didn't bash me.

Somehow, I just knew this would happen...WHY, whenever some religion is involved in a thread, must people take it and flame it?
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 02-28-2005 at 06:05 PM.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

cuz people suck.

Wannabebig Member
    if you morons have nothing to add to this thread except to attack his religion, stfu because the jokes on you.

and i'm an atheist, in case u were wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes
    GMC, Powerman, Brawl, IRN-BRU:

I didn't start this thread to ask you guys for your opinions on my religion, did I? I was asking you guys if I would lose a lot of my muscle, and what I could do to prevent some of it?

Somehow, I just knew this would happen...WHY, whenever some religion is involved in a thread, must people take it and flame it?
    People always hate what they know nothing about. Most likely the better person you are the more you are hated on. It comes with the territory. Take it as a compliment... I always wonder about why people get so upset about people coming to your door with a kind word. Atleast you know they aren't coming to kill you and try to harm you. People are just so full of hate and ignorants. Don't worry about it. It takes balls to go out the preach. MOst of these ignorant people couldn't do it.

Btw.. DID you notice what i posted about using bands?
    Never Giving In.

Quote Originally Posted by waynis
    Btw.. DID you notice what i posted about using bands?
    Yeah, I saw that and forgot to reply to it. I was wondering...ehm, what are they? Are those the things you stretch a lot? So, this would serve as a good tool to maintain some muscle, eh?

And what's a good place to buy them?
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 02-28-2005 at 07:40 PM.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Yeah, I saw that and forgot to reply to it. I was wondering...ehm, what are they? Are those the things you stretch a lot? So, this would serve as a good tool to maintain some muscle, eh?

And what's a good place to buy them?
    Yeah those stretchy rubber thingys lol. They make em with handles and you can do just about anything with em. NO you may not be able to build mass like with iron but you can look good and have some decent strenght. They come in different resistances. LIke easy to harder. Search on ebay for a set or any fitness store like the sports authority. There's more places online.. i can't think off the top of my head. Just put em in your bag and you can workout anytime
    Never Giving In.

Thanks.

Oh, waynis, also, in your sig I noticed that you said "It's all about the negatives!"

What does that mean?
    Lifting Journal

Thanks.

Oh, waynis, also, in your sig I noticed that you said "It's all about the negatives!"

What does that mean?
    no problem. If I find the site to the bands i'll let you know. I also have a catolog lying around somewhere.

A negative would be when your bench pressing and your coming down from the movement. The muscles that support those negatives get worked. in the bench press it would be your shoulder and back muscles. Also if your doing a chin up.. instead of coming down fast hold on and come down slow. This type of training is very intense and will build great strength. Practice those negatives and it will improve every exercise you do.
    Last edited by waynis; 02-28-2005 at 08:38 PM.
    Never Giving In.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by IRN-BRU
    Lol Brawl that was fun, I have to chip in now.

Fixation, how about you just change religion dude? I mean, you're gonna go trekking around wasting your time trying to change everyone elses religion, but you wont listen to those of us who tell you to change your beliefs.

Suppose you'd all just think that your religion was best, and judge voodoo people as misguided.

Religions are for the weak. Lifting iron can be a religion, combine the two, your body is a temple! Oh, and be nice to people. sorted.

This is a incredibly ignorant and offensive post. "Religions are for the weak."
    This comment in particular is an attack on Christians, Jews, Muslims and other believers. Nice.

The man asked about maintaining muscle, not about religion. So unless you have something to contribute on the topic, why post?

To the OP: 30 minutes can be more than enough. You can do chins, pushups, situps and dips without any gym equipment.
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 02-28-2005 at 08:49 PM.

Waynis- Alright, that's what I thought it was but just making sure. I think I feel negatives the most when doing Squats. Those kill.

EA- Yeah, I'll probably end up doing that as a last resort (which will probably be my first resort, lol).

Thanks for the help guys. WBB has lots of friendlies with good valuable knowledge and information.
    Lifting Journal

First, I want to commend you for sticking to your belief, and giving up something for a greater cause. I'm a Christian also, but a Baptist.

This aside, where there's a will there's a way. You can find a way. Pack some db's. Find something to use as a dip bar (playgrounds always have something useful). I'm a camp counselor for the YMCA, and I've performed a full workout with monkey bars, a bike rack, and cement steps. Just find something you CAN DO. If nothing else, you could do sprints. Sprints can build muscle.
    Muscle memory will ensure that when you actually DO get home you will not be starting over from square one. I've known people who stopped lifting for around 3 years, and then rapidly gained their muscle mass back over a couple months. The main issue is, find SOMETHING to do while you're over there. Guys found ways to build muscle before bench presses and barbells were invented. You just have to get a little creative, and keep that dedication there. I personally believe with dedication someone can accomplish any goal they wish, whether it be intrinsic or extrinsic. Thoughtfully,
    Scott

Thanks Scott, that was an encouraging post. I can probably do all that except for packing DBs. I could end up walking a lot and I don't think that packing DBs would be such a good idea then. But I could always find a jug or something and fill it up with water/sand like some of the others pointed out.

Also, I could do a lot of plyometrics, right? Since I won't have a ready access to weights, plyometrics and creative home training will have to do. And yeah, some people have told me about muscle memory. And I sure do hope that my muscles have a good memory. And I hope I can gain whatever was lost over the mission back in a few months like those guys you knew...but a few months seems like a very short time to gain back 3 years of lost muscle. Do you think it can really be done that quickly? I was thinking more like 6 months to a year, but that'd be cool to gain muscle back in just a few months.
    Lifting Journal

Quote Originally Posted by waynis
    I always wonder about why people get so upset about people coming to your door with a kind word.
    It's annoying, for one. Who wants to listen to somebody trying to change your religion? Not me.

http://www.jumpstretch.com
    That's one site for bands. You can use a significant amount of weight if you use more than one band at a time. The problem is that there's very little resistance at the bottom of the lift. It'll be much better than nothing though.

Quote Originally Posted by Doobs
    It's annoying, for one. Who wants to listen to somebody trying to change your religion? Not me.
    grow up. You think those people wanna come to your door knowing that people like you are behind it? It's a duty or a job. They do what they have to do. Have some respect. The intent of changing someone isn't what a humble christian should be doing. The job is to give out a kind word. If you don't like it then it should be left at that. People like you make the people coming feel they should change their beliefs because no one respects them anyway. I'd like to see what you would do if you were in their position. How long would u last?
    Never Giving In.

And Brawl, most people don't even have phones in Brazil
    Wow....

I seriously wished you were joking, but I know that you aren't. Brazil may not be the most advanced nation in the world, and it does have people out in the boondocks without phones, but trust me, there are lots of phone. Brazil is a relatively large nation and is decently advanced.

Before you go on your mission, learn about the country you are going to to spare yourself embarrassing comments. (This advice is actually sincere. I know that some people have had some pretty bad taboos on foregin excursions)
    Last edited by betastas; 03-01-2005 at 04:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by betastas
    Wow....

I seriously wished you were joking, but I know that you aren't. Brazil may not be the most advanced nation in the world, and it does have people out in the boondocks without phones, but trust me, there are lots of phone. Brazil is a relatively large nation and is decently advanced.

Before you go on your mission, learn about the country you are going to to spare yourself embarrassing comments. (This advice is actually sincere. I know that some people have had some pretty bad taboos on foregin excursions)
    Well, for one, you don't even know what part of Brazil I'm talking about. And yeah, there are lots of phones. But maybe what I meant to say is that some people don't have phones. And the people that do have phones...they usually only have one phone (a home phone, or a cell phone). People usually don't have both.

And btw, the part I was talking about was Ribeirao Preto. I don't know if you know where that is, but I think it's in the southeastern part of Brazil.
    Lifting Journal