The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Banned

how long for cardio to burn fat

all guys here is a tough question for u. i recently started doing cardio after my workouts for 20 mins, and i go to gym 3 times a week. i usually burn 400 calories in 20 mins. now the thing i dont get is that to get big u need calories so what gives? i weigh 180 pounds right now btw.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

UMMM you need to take in more calories than you burn too grow, you can go up or down but not both at the same time usally, either bulk or cut

i jsut learned about this in bio, its called a runner wall, and is comes up after running about 20 miles, before that you are buring glucose through glycolosis-kreb's cycle-electron transport chain, but after about 20 miles the glucose gets used up and you start to burn the fat , gl with that

and if your trying to get big jsut do slwo cardio to give your heart the workout, you dont want to deplete yourself of any of those calories that your muscles can use
    Height: 6' 1/2" Age: 24

Current Status: The brace is off....
    Weight: 208 lbs.

Back in action...

Do that voodoo that he do
    Quote Originally Posted by emjlr3
    i jsut learned about this in bio, its called a runner wall, and is comes up after running about 20 miles, before that you are buring glucose through glycolosis-kreb's cycle-electron transport chain, but after about 20 miles the glucose gets used up and you start to burn the fat , gl with that
    Not quite. You're always burning both fat and carbohydrate for ATP. The percentage changes as intensity increases. At rest it's generally about 70% fat to 30% carbohydrate. As intensity increases it moves towards 90+% carbohydrate.

Most can store between 2000 and 2500 calories of muscle glycogen (carbohydrate). When that's depleted (or almost) is the "wall" you're referring to. It could take 20 miles or more or less depending on intensity.

Calorie depletion through cardio is more important than depleting one's stores. Very few people are fit enough or have enough time to actually deplete without dieting tricks.

Also, long before depletion is complete the body starts cannabalizing muscle tissue and using the amino acids to create glucose for gluconeogenesis so that blood sugar is kept somewhat stable and the brain is fed.
    Be a man. Be awesome at it. Be proud of it. Beyond the Barbell

"Borris is correct. That sounds logical if you ask me."
    -galileo

Getting un-streamlined Progress's Avatar
    Besides, how about HIIT? You typically don't run more than 4 miles doing that. I barely reach 3 and from what I've read, HIIT has more fat burn results than ET.
    Last edited by ABDomega; 03-01-2005 at 01:53 PM.