Thread: I think I sorted by bench press problem

Can't lift for trying

I think I sorted by bench press problem

I cannot be hundred percent certain this was the exact solution. Prior to taking a week off for vacation I was struggling to flat bench 62KG. When I came back I started to use my new olympic bar and olympic weights (olympic comp. grade). I suddenly felt more power on my bench than ever before as I have never used an Oly bar and weights ever. Two weeks into using an oly bar and weights I blitzed 70KG like it was nothing and am going for 75KG this week and feel mentally good about lifting it.

My thoughts are perhaps its because the bar is bigger and I have more surface area to push against. I'm sure its the oly bar and not the vacation. Anyone else ever come across this or is it just bizzare?

Sounds to me that it was the rest and vacation that did you good.
    I'm not moaning, i'm having an opinion.

**** is real
    probably was the vacation...i think it's all mental for the most part...if i was to not lift for 2 weeks (back when i was lazy and wasn't obssesed w/ lifting) i'd kind of forget really what i was at before, and i'd put up 10+lbs more than my 8 rep max pretty easily (for 8 reps)...or it could've been the break. either way...
    5ft 8in
    149 lbs
    8.0% bf

Getting un-streamlined Progress's Avatar
    I know that my favorite Olympic BB at my gym is the one that is the most thick. For some reason I like having my hands around a thicker bar. Save the laughs fellas.

Banned
    HAHAHAHAHA!!! I had to laugh...

It's psychological. You were probably lacking motivation, and the vacation, combined with your shiny new bar made you try harder. Good tip for anyone stuck in a rut perhaps - buy a new bar / muscle shirt / gloves / get a haircut, then get back in there and kick some a$$. !

Or - your old weights were so cheap they weighed more than they should have. :-)
    Age 29 | Height: 5'11 | Weight: 176 lbs (a while ago) | Weight: 180 lbs (2-Nov-05) | Weight: 181 lbs (8-Nov-05)

I agree with the muscle shirt and new gloves. I believe in rewarding myself for my commitment and dedication, so i bought some new gloves for new year. I realized that it's a good form of motivation... making me want to push myself harder.

Getting un-streamlined Progress's Avatar
    You guys buy muscle shirts? I just cut/tear the sleeves off t-shirts.

hammin'
    I wear sweatpants and oversized tshirts such that you can only see the forearm. Head, neck, hands, and forearms - I'm not trying to impress anyone at the gym.
    They say that when your ships comes in
    The first man takes the sails
    Second takes the afterdeck
    The third: the planks and rails.

Banned
    I try a little bit to get the ladies looking my way...I look older than I am...as soon as I make the mistake of letting the fact I'm only 14...They all head for the hills...

Quote Originally Posted by Gutz981
    I try a little bit to get the ladies looking my way...I look older than I am...as soon as I make the mistake of letting the fact I'm only 14...They all head for the hills...

So true my friend, I remember being 14 very well, it wasnt that long ago lol.

On topic though, on wednesday I started taking creatine and when I got into the gym I started with my leg routine, first exercise I did my normal 5x6 except that I moved up 40 lbs. On all the other exercises I moved up at least 10-20 lbs. Now do you think I improved so much because of a couple days of creatine, or because I mentally believed that I was going to improve and therefore I had the willpower and determination to lift more weight than I previously thought I could.

I've never done something I didn't believe that I could, and I have never failed to do something I believed that I could. From what little experience I have with it, lifting is more mental than anything else.

Can't lift for trying
    I think the other weights might have been crappy then. If it is all mental then I should be benching 220Lbs in a few weeks as I have:-

Just kitted out my crappy garage with padded matting all over. Got the Oly bar and top class weights (colored rubber encased from Body-Solid).

And I'm waiting on an oly EZ curl bar, Flat/incline/Decline bench, Proper dumbells, and a power rack with dips and lift outs. I recently shelled out 1300 UK pounds. All the top quality Body-Solid, check out their site. I love my wife.

On another note today I nailed 165Lbs on flat bench. Not much I know but I've never been able to bench and only 10 weeks I struggled with 140Lbs. Only downer is after spending all my money on the body-solid stuff I have no money for new clothes and I can barely walk in all my pants because my squat has gone up from 80KG to 115KG in 10 weeks.

hey my squat has gone from 80-115 in 3 weeks. ha. i'm talking pounds though.
    6'0 - 176lb
    ~14% bf

Quote Originally Posted by body
    - women eat cream cakes when you are not looking and have chocolate in hiding places. There are no journal articles to refernce this fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinstarke
    I found that while my friends were good at drawing or skating i was good at moving heavy objects.