The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    I was in the gym last night...

I train in the evenings and got there about 8 pm...

Anyways as I got in these two other guys came in at ther same time, who are regualar trainers..

One was about 30 and about 200 lb's (pretty fat) and the other was probably about 20 and no more than 140 lb's.... They both have not changed at all since training at the gym for about 6 months now...

It was shoulders, triceps and biceps for me so I started my workout as usual.. The workout took me about 40 mins I think and the whole of this time the 140 lb kid had been training shoulders !!

His started out on lateral raises with aabout a 10 sec hold at the top of each one (which meant he had to do it with 5lb dumbells) and did this for about 6 sets...

He then moved on to smith machine press, so I thought well at least he is going to include a press in there ! He did 2 sets on press with the most ridiculous exercise form (bouncing the bar up and down for quarter reps about 5 times at the bottom of each rep)

The he moved on to one arm cable laterals and when I walked out he was on set 5 I think...

Anyway as he was on about set 2 of his cable raises I though , damn I am gonna go and give this guy some advice.. Tell him he is seriously overtrianing and concentrating on the wrong exercises...

I am not a rude guy and can be very polite if I want to be but I wasnlt gonna offer him advice in the middle of my workout.. I was gonna wait till I had done..

About 2 sets away from me finishing he leaves the gym and reappears in 5 mins with a packet of crisps and a mars bar !!!!! He then returns to his cable laterals whilst in between sets he was eating crisps and choclate and I also heard him saying he was starving and hadn't eated anything from lunch !!!!

Needless to say I didn't even waste my breath, as it would of gone in one ear and out of the other.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

They'll probably be 'saucing' next, as they've reached their natural limit...lol!

Why are there still so many of these *******s around, some folks will never learn...

Bespoke Super Mod
    I know exactlyy what u mean Hulk, on several occasions ther have been these kids at my gym that just for no apparent reason just stop during their workout and go outside and start puffing away on a fag, whilst talking on their mobiles then they come back in and try to pick off where they were.

I mean i dont smoke, but i am not stopping people from choosing to smoke but in a middle of a workout.... PLEASE!!!
    "A + B + C = Success if, A = Hard Work, B = Hard Play, C = Keeping your mouth shut" -Albert
    Einstein

I've always gone to the gym with the conviction that I'll be the hardest working mother****er in the joint. Make that your credo, and hope we don't lift at the same place.
    -- Adam Fahy

"Fran is a double-hard bastard"- Clint Brewer 31/12/02

You gotta wonder about someone when they stop working out to suck on a FAG.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Stupid people, ugly body.. they waste their money on protein shakes.. they don't sleep.. they don't eat right.. they drink beer after beer... and it shows. I don't have any sympathy, unless they're trying to improve.. for all the others.. look at me
    "Damn, I'm looking good" -Duke Nukem
    "I look cool dude" -Pig From the Sky

Originally posted by Sinep
    Stupid people, ugly body.. they waste their money on protein shakes.. they don't sleep.. they don't eat right.. they drink beer after beer... and it shows. I don't have any sympathy, unless they're trying to improve.. for all the others.. look at me

yup, i have no patience for people that ignorant, i too cant have any sympathy for these people, they eat like ****, drink, and stay up all night, then complain about how there not seeing results.

then they use juice, still dont see results, finally they exept the fact that their body is not fit to build muscle. can constantly critisize your dedication and physique.

i hate "sour grapes" in any shape or form, i have no patience what soever for these people.

peace
    "The harder you train, the harder it is to give up" ~Vince Lombardi~

lmfao @ anthony,

there is these group of guys that go to my gym and they are so stupid. this little 130lb guy loads 135 on to the bar, get under it, unracks it, boom straight onto his chest, his spotter picks the weight off his chest, he rests for 30 sec. and goes at it again, only this time he brings the bar 6 inches down and pushes it back up for about 4 reps, after he finishes his set he gets up, and loads 10 pounds more on the bar!!!! and the cycle is repeated, only this time he took the bar down 4 inches! the next day he asked me how much i could bench i told him and he said "oh thats pretty good, i can do 155 for reps" and i had to do everything i could to keep from laughing in his face.
    Last edited by Behemouth; 02-22-2001 at 07:59 AM.
    LESS IS MORE

Bespoke Super Mod
    I should have know better than to prase it in the manner that i did, and I was wondering how long it would be before someone came up with a comment like that

Smoking a cigarrette, is that better
    Last edited by FAngel; 02-22-2001 at 09:10 AM.
    "A + B + C = Success if, A = Hard Work, B = Hard Play, C = Keeping your mouth shut" -Albert
    Einstein

I've always gone to the gym with the conviction that I'll be the hardest working mother****er in the joint. Make that your credo, and hope we don't lift at the same place.
    -- Adam Fahy

"Fran is a double-hard bastard"- Clint Brewer 31/12/02

lol, I knew what you meant FAngel, just playin around.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Lemme offer my Point of View...

Ok ya'll...

Here's my point of view.

I AM working on my body, hard. Kicking my ass everyday I am in the gym, and just doing it right. The diet is down, the sleep is great and my workouts are pretty intense. It's starting to show...

I go to the gym, and see guys who are bigger then me. They do it all wrong. Hell, I am still learning what is right / wrong and stuff, but I see so many people.. doing the Mars bar thing, taking a smoke break, doing sets that are WAY to heavy for them...

I see them, and they are bigger.. I asked one guy how long he's been working out for. He's got pretty good size, and looks about the way I want to look in a year or so... I know by doing everything right, I can get there...

He's like. "I've been training for 4 years now... I come whenever I can". I am look, oh yeah.. what's your routine? - "I just come in and lift. Some days I feel like legs, some day I feel like doing the bench..."

I was like, "Ok..." and he says to me "A lot of guys think it's all about the diet. **** that! I can lift more then half of those guys. You don't gotta eat your salad, cut out your beer... don't let people tell you all of that!"

hahahaha.. I was like, "Yeah, I've heard a lot about that diet stuff. " oh my god.. what a loser.

yeah, he's bigger. Took him 4 years of HALF-ASS work to get there, I'll be bigger then him in a YEAR!

Let them go man.. they pay the gym, and the gym stays in business. Besides, they are fun to laugh at. I have no room right now, cuz I am not "big enough" to walk up and say - 'Your doing this wrong..."

Twiztid
    Stay Down With The

Runnin' with the Hatchet.. like WHUT?!?

there are two guys here at school like that and I even lift early in the morning and try to avoid clowns like this. They do the same program week in and out, never progressing and never using proper form. I usually just igonore them, but the one got in my way the one day doing his stupid ab crunches with dumbbells. He was standing right where the dumbbells that I was using go. The kicker was he saw me standing there wating for him to move and he just looked at me and gave me a ****eating grin. That sent me over the edge and I threw the dubbells down and the one crashed into his foot. Now they both know to stay outta of my way. I have other stories too, but will save them for later, hehehehe.

Wannabebig Member

Re: Lemme offer my Point of View...

Originally posted by Twiztid
    I have no room right now, cuz I am not "big enough" to walk up and say - 'Your doing this wrong..."

Twiztid
    Hey bro, I look a lot better than the vast majority of the people in my gym (after YEARS of INSANE TRAINING) and I like to see those jokers!!!! The way I see it is, "we" look great, and all, but if a lean muscular body was the norm, we'd no longer get the attention we do, so I say "SMOKEM IF YA GOT EM'" have another snickers!! I'll secretly be eatin my tuna, and oats, and in a few more months, or years I'll peel off this sweatshirt, and baggy pants, and you'll be amazed!!

BDB

Re: Lemme offer my Point of View...

Originally posted by Twiztid
    Ok ya'll...

Here's my point of view.

I AM working on my body, hard. Kicking my ass everyday I am in the gym, and just doing it right. The diet is down, the sleep is great and my workouts are pretty intense. It's starting to show...

I go to the gym, and see guys who are bigger then me. They do it all wrong. Hell, I am still learning what is right / wrong and stuff, but I see so many people.. doing the Mars bar thing, taking a smoke break, doing sets that are WAY to heavy for them...

I see them, and they are bigger.. I asked one guy how long he's been working out for. He's got pretty good size, and looks about the way I want to look in a year or so... I know by doing everything right, I can get there...

He's like. "I've been training for 4 years now... I come whenever I can". I am look, oh yeah.. what's your routine? - "I just come in and lift. Some days I feel like legs, some day I feel like doing the bench..."

I was like, "Ok..." and he says to me "A lot of guys think it's all about the diet. **** that! I can lift more then half of those guys. You don't gotta eat your salad, cut out your beer... don't let people tell you all of that!"

hahahaha.. I was like, "Yeah, I've heard a lot about that diet stuff. " oh my god.. what a loser.

yeah, he's bigger. Took him 4 years of HALF-ASS work to get there, I'll be bigger then him in a YEAR!

Let them go man.. they pay the gym, and the gym stays in business. Besides, they are fun to laugh at. I have no room right now, cuz I am not "big enough" to walk up and say - 'Your doing this wrong..."

Twiztid

I will play devil's advocate. look the guy is happy with his life style, body and strength. More power to him. Does it matter that it took him four years to get him development, and you will probably do it in one. I say enjoy life. Not everyone will subscribe to your life style. C'mon guys put life in perceptive and repect other people way of life.

very true breeze..
    as long as he's not training his ego .. more power to him.
    "Damn, I'm looking good" -Duke Nukem
    "I look cool dude" -Pig From the Sky