Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it BS?

Is it BS?

I keep seeing posts from these 15 and 16 year olds on here who claim to bench press near 200 pounds and deadlift over 300.

I am 22 years old, and I have been working out for about three years. I've never maxed out on the bench, but I can do 12reps of 135, whatever that means.

My biggest regret is that I have never deadlifted until last week. I was able to do 4 sets of 8 reps with 135 pounds. This week I once again did 4 sets of 8 reps each with 135, and then i did a 6 rep set with 185. It was hard as hell and I felt like I was going to break in half.

My questions are.

1. how much can i expect my deadlift to increase? I simply can't believe that some 16 year old is able to do nearly twice as much as I can. Even though I just started doing deadlifts. I have worked my back hard over the last 3 years.

2. I plan on going on an intense cut . I am currently 193 pounds. I'd like to drop to about 175-180. Would I be asking too much if my goal was also to increase my max lifts in bench/dead/squat.

and last, what's the difference between the fitday website, and the software they offer.
    Last edited by dualman7; 02-22-2005 at 08:57 AM.

Banned
    I dont know, IM 17 myself and In weak...but I just started lifting about 4 months ago. I only deadlift 135, but that is because I just started doing it (Literaly started it last week). Once I get used to it Im sure I will be able to do more, since I have a strong midesction and back.

Anyway, I only bench 3 sets of 105x8, so my max would prolly be around 130-135. Considering this, I dont see why anyone lifting for a year wouldnt be able to do about 170 for max. So some might be lying, but most prolly arnt, they have nothing to gain.
    I have football players in my school that bench well over 200...
    Last edited by darius19; 02-22-2005 at 07:45 AM.

Those 15 and 16 year olds have been on a consistent regimen, have been watching their diet intently, and have paid close attention to the advice on this forum. The weights they are doing are not unheard of for their age. Just look at CanadianCrippler's journal and you can see how he's managed to get where he is with lots of dedication and smart training.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

I am 22 years old, and I have been working out for about three years. I've never maxed out on the bench, but I can do 12reps of 135, whatever that means.
    - What weight did you start with? If it was close to 135 and you are still working with 135, I would say your progression is well below the norm.

1. how much can i expect my deadlift to increase?
    - This is different for everyone, but for your body weight there's a lot of non competitive lifters in the 400-600 range.

I simply can't believe that some 16 year old is able to do nearly twice as much as I can.
    - Humble pie, it's some good. There are 16 year old kids who can do a hell of a lot more than 300lbs. Get over it.

2. I plan on going on an intense cut over the next month. I am currently 193 pounds. I'd like to drop to about 175-180. Would I be asking too much if my goal was also to increase my max lifts in bench/dead/squat.
    - You want to lose 20lbs in a month and have your max lifts increase? Unless you're superman, forget it. I highly recommend doing a SLOW cut so you might have a chance at not losing strength.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Trying to learn on the fly
    these "kids" put in hard work. i was one of them in high school. it also depends on your bodytype, etc. keep at it and don't worry about what others can do and what you can't do. focus on what you can do

I've always considered it BS. I've seen some big school boys in my gym and I do mean big but they can't do what I've seen 15-16 year olds claim they can. My guess is they go about 2" down on a squat and call it good, I've seen them do the same with bench presses as well. Unless I'm mistaken and this IS a prefect world where everyone is REALLY honest especially on the internet...........

all my lifts are from a school sponsored powerlifting meet.... so i wasnt going 2 inches down. You can see my lifts in my sig. and i didnt even win my weight class with those totals. so there are some really strong high school kids.
    MY RAW LIFTS
    OLD.........................................Current
    weight: 190..............................206
    Bench Press: 300lbs.......................?????
    Squat: 450lbs...............................?????
    Deadlift: 475..................................????
    Power Clean: 285lbs.......................?????

Its about the naked thing! FireBug's Avatar
    There are "kids" out there that have the lifts that they say they do. These will be the dedicated people, there are also people out there that either fudge their numbers or as BFG mentioned, are not doing proper form.

However, why does it matter? Do youself justice, lift what you can lift, look for progression and dont look at other peoples numbers. You will find there is ALWAYS someone out there that has better lifts or progression. But what should matter to you, is YOUR lifts.

Lift, Eat and be strong!
    Stats:
    Height: 6'
    Weight: 198lbs
    Current Cycle: Cut

Goals|Current
    ATF Squat: 350lbs|315X2
    DB Bench: 120|105X4
    DL: 450|345x8

At age 18 my 1rm on bench press was 275. This is without any "help."
    It's not unheard of at all. Most of the 16 year olds on the football team I played on in high school could get up around 200 on the bench press.

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Guido
    Those 15 and 16 year olds have been on a consistent regimen, have been watching their diet intently, and have paid close attention to the advice on this forum. The weights they are doing are not unheard of for their age. Just look at CanadianCrippler's journal and you can see how he's managed to get where he is with lots of dedication and smart training.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

Banned
    Its very true That 15 and 16 Oh HEY! look a 14 year old *me* that can bench over 200...never doubt man...

i would think that if you can rep 135x12 on a bench you would be able to put up about 200-225 pounds. as for BS on kids stats, at my old high school they had a bench a thon every year to raise money for charity, and it was quite ridicilous some of the weight guys put up. one kid was about 175 and EASILY put up over 300 pounds, plus smaller guys who were in the 135 pound range that could get about 250 pounds. but then, a buddy of mine who lifted and trained harder than anyone i know and weighed about 200 could only put up about 300, which, considering his other maxs was garbage. some people have weak benches, i think i do.

You know that saying. Believe nothing you hear and only half of what you see.
    Formerly "Tough Old Man"

your weight indicates that your not a very small guy. Still, if after three years of "intense" training, you can only do 135 on bench for reps, you should seriously consider changing your routine and spending less time worrying about kids

all i can say is that i am slightly offended...i work my @ss off for my numbers...

and as for my deadlift...i train with kids who put up around 300lbs on bench but cant dead 300lbs...my back is my strong point...i just started doing deads 2 months ago and my max has jumped from 315 to 385
    CLEAN BULKIN' LIKE A VULKIN'!!

18 years old
    180lbs

Bench--300lbs (as of 2/23/07)
    Deads--415lbs (as of 2/20/07)

Wannabebig Member
    i'd be willing to bet alot of these kids number are legit. at 16 after only lifting for a year i put up 220, weighing only about 150ish. most high school football programs focus on strength building, not so much mass, so i think that helps to contribute to some of these kids numbers.

What's your squat like? And how could you lift for ~3 years and never consider doing the deadlift?

Either you started with absolutely no muscle or you haven't properly educated yourself (which it sounds like if it took ~3 years for you to start deadlifting).

http://stuff.mit.edu/people/kevtrice/StateRecord.mov

This is footage of a state record bench press performed by a high school senior a few years back. The guy looks like he's on gear now, but I doubt then. If you pay attention after he does the rep, it says "350 @ 181." That's one hell of a lift, and by a high school kid. I'd say they aren't BS'ing us at all. I had a friend back in high school that didn't have a bodybuildr's diet, but was benching 240 his sophomore year. I lived behind him, so I know it was legit. Funny thing is, the football team didn't want him for anything other than a backup role with that kind of strength and he was lifting more than almost all of the seniors.

Pretty good I am going to max out (my goal) at 225 bench press and going to record it and maybe post it on here.

Sweet video^ I never get a lift off when maxing out, maybe if I did I could do more? I dunno, why do all them pro's get a guy to lift it off the bar for them?
    Last edited by IronKidd; 02-22-2005 at 03:11 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    well im 16, I did the deadlifts for my first time abput a month ago, and I I did 2 sets of 225lbs 8 reps, but I guess I am naturaly strong with deads from doing work on the farm with that same kinda motion

If you're under 18 and you can bench press over 200 pounds, and deadlift in 300's, for whatever it's worth, i am proud of you. I have never seen anything like that, so you can understand why i'd throw the question out there. I barely maxed out at a 6 rep, 185 pound deadlift. I am pretty proud of myself for that. I am a big, strong guy, and it's amazing for me to read about people doing the same exercise with nearly 200 more pounds. I'd love to get any advice I can from you guys.

As far as myself. I have always read about deadlifts, but assumed that all the other back exercises I was doing were enough. Plus to be honest...I know it sounds crazy. I have never really been comfortable in my own body, so it would of been tough for me to do a deadlift in a crowded gym. I can do that now though. After doing them twice, i think i am in love.

As far as my "weak bench". I was doing 135 for about 4 sets of 8 reps about 2 years ago, but I was 25 pounds heavier. Like i said earlier, today I can do 135 for 4 sets with medium resistance. I have done 6 reps of 185, but I almost killed myself getting the bar backup, and couldn't do anything else. So I stick to numerous sets of 135. I work out alone in Bally Total Fitness, so it's tough for me to really load up on the bar and go all out. I know it's a terrible excuse, and i end up cutting some sets short, simply because I don't wanna choke on a barbell.

Its about the naked thing! FireBug's Avatar
    dualman7, you are not going to get much progression, unless you stress your body (which keeping at 135 indefinatly will not do).

Try doing DB bench instead, that way if you fail, atleast the bar wont "choke" you.

The more you can put on the bar (or DB) and keep proper form within your rep range the better you will be.
    Stats:
    Height: 6'
    Weight: 198lbs
    Current Cycle: Cut

Goals|Current
    ATF Squat: 350lbs|315X2
    DB Bench: 120|105X4
    DL: 450|345x8

It doesn't matter if you work out alone. You should be able to determine if you can get another rep in. And some people don't mind spotting in between their sets so you could ask someone. Also, if Bally's has a Power Rack you could bench their and set up the safety bars in case you can't get it back up.

Your excuses have seriously hindered your gains on your bench.

Quote Originally Posted by dualman7
    If you're under 18 and you can bench press over 200 pounds, and deadlift in 300's, for whatever it's worth, i am proud of you. I have never seen anything like that, so you can understand why i'd throw the question out there.
    Darn kids keep getting bigger and bigger these days. Seriously, kids today grow up faster than they used to.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

:withstupi

dualman i totally understand where your coming from...but i've been lifting hard for about 1.5-2 years now and work really hard in the gym...that and i have a great build for muscle building...and im proud of where i have progressed to...just keep workin and stressing yourself in the gym and u'll improve leaps and bounds....and make sure u have a spot when you do bench because it can be dangerous without one...

"Squats make the ghetto booty"-Me
    "No matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max"-bIgHwN86
    "Reach for some self discipline."-Holto