Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: If I switch from BB Benching to DB Benching...

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Bizatch, what about SLDLs? Aren't those necessary? And what are snatch grip deadlifts? I can't seem to find a video/pictures of that anywhere on the Internet.
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 03-03-2005 at 09:54 PM.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

No single exercise is a necessity. Snatch Grip Deadlifts and squats work your lower back pretty well. You can throw in SLDL once a week to supplement it if you want.

To perform it, you will start by placing a barbell in front of you while standing. Next, bend your knees and grab the bar, but with a super wide grip (your arms should be stretched outwards so that you almost touch the end of the barbell). Then, perform a deadlift, trying to focus on keeping your back straight and lifting up.

So, a snatch grip deadlift is the same thing as a regular deadlift except for the super wide grip? And which one is better? Snatch grip or regular?

Anyway, thanks Powerman and Bizatch.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

That's right about the snatch grip deadlift.

There's no "better," snatch grip just uses your lower back more, but at the same time allows a little less weight. That's where squats come in.

Quote Originally Posted by PowerManDL
    Son of a bitch.
    I agree.
    Remember, to get big, you have to get strong. The two are interconnected. Lift heavy, work hard, and size will come. Like night follows day. It works. Arnold
    Do work son. Big Black (Rob and Big)

I hope I don't get flamed from this, as I'm just posting a full body routine as an example:

Quote Originally Posted by LittleJake's Journal
    Full Body Workout #1
    4 sets - Squats
    2 sets - Leg Extension
    2 sets - Flat BB Bench
    2 sets - Incline or Flat DB Flyes
    2 sets - Pullups
    2 sets - BB or DB Bent Over Rows
    2 sets - DB Shoulder Press
    2 sets - DB Side Raises
    2 sets - DB Shrugs
    2 sets - BB Curls
    2 sets - Dips
    3 sets - Seated Calf Raises

Full Body Workout #2
    4 sets - Leg Press
    2 sets - Leg Curl or SLDL
    2 sets - Incline BB Bench
    2 sets - Flat or Incline DB Bench
    2 sets - Pullups
    2 sets - Cable Low Rows (v-bar) or HS Hi-Rows
    2 sets - BB Military
    2 sets - Bent Over DB Side Raises or Reverse Pec Deck
    2 sets - BB Shrugs
    2 sets - DB Curls
    2 sets - Cable Pushdowns
    3 sets - Standing Calf Raises

Full Body Workout #3
    4 sets - Deadlifts
    2 sets - Single Leg Squat on Smith Machine
    2 sets - Incline or Flat DB Bench
    2 sets - Cable XO's or Pec Deck
    2 sets - Pullups
    2 sets - Pullovers
    2 sets - DB Front Raises
    2 sets - Lateral Raise Machine
    2 sets - Seated DB Shrugs
    2 sets - Preacher Curls
    2 sets - Skull Crushers
    3 sets - Leg Press Calf Raises or Calf Raises on Smith Machine
    Legs = Total 6 sets
    Chest = Total 4 sets
    Back = Total 4 sets
    Shoulders = Total 4 sets
    Bis = Total 2 sets
    Tris = Total 2 sets
    Calves = Total 3 sets
    Traps = Total 2-3 sets.

Done twice a week thats 12 sets for legs, 6-8 for everything else, and 4 for arms. Ultimately you could lose one exercise per muscle group and just do 4 sets of that exercise, I personally like the variation. I do 2 warmups per muscle group also, but only on the first exercise. It normally takes me about 1.5hours to complete this workout doing 1.5minute supersets between exercises (ie bench ss w/pullups, flyes ss w/ rows and so forth). This is just how I like to workout. I started cutting and the low volume is helping me keep my muscle while cutting, and I'm even gaining some strength from it. I do this workout every 2 days, with cardio and abs being put in on the 2 off days before the workoug again (ie monday-workout, tuesday-abs/cardio, wednesday-cardio, thursday-workout..etc).

I personally don't think that would be too advanced for you fixation, it just looks complicated cuz I like to hit more than one exercise per group, but lets hear what the other fellas have to say. Please don't hurt me powerman.
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

Quote Originally Posted by BiGnProgresS
    PUSH UPS!!!!!!!!!!! DO PUSH UP all day ... whenever u have free time... get on the floor and do like 3 sets of 15 or so... try decline and incline... Especially in the morning, i saw incredible gains in my bench just from pushups. and keep your workout, increasing weight. It worked for me and i still do it... and if u do pushups as suggested ... do more... I do about 150 right when i wake up and stretch right b4 and after... mostly declines , but anyway thats my suggestion. (by the way--the form and overall mass of my pecs enlarged alot!) so there
    <- The indian chops your arms off for retarted pushup advice.
    Last edited by JSully; 03-04-2005 at 04:26 PM.
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

Wannabebig Member
    thats really funny man.. but in my personal training, this is one of the best things ive done... general pushups made me SWOLE and my bench went from 200 to 270 in about 3 months and overall i think helped ALOT... so belive what u want. I was giving advice from my own experiences. so thanks for making yourself look like a jerk.
    Age = 17
    Height = 6' 2
    (UPDATED) Weight = Was 210 (Wanted 205 by october 18th) (Its march 3 and im 195
    BF % = now 11
    Neck = 19"
    Arms = L-17" R-17" (dont care about 000.2324 shit)
    Waist = now 34"
    Thighs = 24"
    Calves = 20"

~"Im Not Here To Talk"~
    ~"Squat Till You Puke"~
    ~"Shut The F... Up and Train"~

~~~~~ANIMAL~~~~~
    ~~~~~~PAK~~~~~~

thats really funny man.. but in my personal training, this is one of the best things ive done... general pushups made me SWOLE and my bench went from 200 to 270 in about 3 months and overall i think helped ALOT... so belive what u want. I was giving advice from my own experiences. so thanks for making yourself look like a jerk.
    How can you be so sure it was JUST the pushups. Doing pushups EVERYTIME he has a chance can potentially overtrain him. Especially if he's new to the workout scene.

How do you know it wasn't increased food intake. Or perhaps since you were doing pushups so much, your regular chest workouts went to ****? There are too many variables to say that the only one that worked was pushups. I will believe what I want and I say that pushups outside of the gym won't do any good except raise heartrate, and increase caloric expenditure. Now, if you're talking about pushups supersetted in the gym with other chest exercises, I'll agree whole handidly.. but outside of the gym whenever he gets a chance is a no no.

I suppose he'll only find out if he tries, but I don't recommend it.

Oh, and my bench went from 375 to 425 in 3 months..........and I DIDN'T do pushups everytime I got a chance.... moral of the story: eat and train right.
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

3:16
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleJake

I suppose he'll only find out if he tries, but I don't recommend it.

Oh, and my bench went from 375 to 425 in 3 months..........and I DIDN'T do pushups everytime I got a chance.... moral of the story: eat and train right.
    ditto to little jake. especially as you get a bigger bench press. Push up just lack resistance to help you get that strong.

unless you weigh 350 pounds. push lack resistance.
    its like me squating my body weight to help me increase my squat. it does not happen, unless i am doing very dymanically
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

Thanks for the help guys.
    Lifting Journal

Wannabebig Member
    i belive my increse was true to pushups being that i was on my routine and a steady eating habits also being i was stuck on my 200 bench seeing an increase in my bench and overall strength and the only thing i changed was the pushups >>>> thats why i posted what i posted; because it worked on me, then a friend of mine did this also seeing an increase in both bench and strength. I figured id try to help in a simple way( being pushups). Also i never overtrained--most people have common sense to stop if u cant do anymore or are sore, or being that ur hurting. And one last point ... i dont know how other people spend time in their day but me, my days on average are desently busy, so its not like im saying every 20 mins do the pups, more like every 3 hours or so .. im not tryin to pick a debate or an argument. Just posting for a community on my experiences.

-im done
    Age = 17
    Height = 6' 2
    (UPDATED) Weight = Was 210 (Wanted 205 by october 18th) (Its march 3 and im 195
    BF % = now 11
    Neck = 19"
    Arms = L-17" R-17" (dont care about 000.2324 shit)
    Waist = now 34"
    Thighs = 24"
    Calves = 20"

~"Im Not Here To Talk"~
    ~"Squat Till You Puke"~
    ~"Shut The F... Up and Train"~

~~~~~ANIMAL~~~~~
    ~~~~~~PAK~~~~~~

so its not like im saying every 20 mins do the pups, more like every 3 hours or so
    Yeah, maybe it worked for you, but I know if I did pushups every 3 hours, I'd overtrain VERY quickly. But thanks for trying to help.
    Lifting Journal

3:16
    i belive my increse was true to pushups being that i was on my routine and a steady eating habits also being i was stuck on my 200 bench seeing an increase in my bench and overall strength and the only thing i changed was the pushups >>>> thats why i posted what i posted; because it worked on me, then a friend of mine did this also seeing an increase in both bench and strength. I figured id try to help in a simple way( being pushups). Also i never overtrained--most people have common sense to stop if u cant do anymore or are sore, or being that ur hurting. And one last point ... i dont know how other people spend time in their day but me, my days on average are desently busy, so its not like im saying every 20 mins do the pups, more like every 3 hours or so .. im not tryin to pick a debate or an argument. Just posting for a community on my experiences.

-im done
    i did not change my routine for 18 months and improved. If i added push up to the routine I would have still got to the same gains.

It like being on routine X and having a platue. then you buy a blue car and your lifts go up. Its not like the blue lifts cuase the increase. It was the rest of your routine kicked in etc.

It can take a while on some rouitne to see gains.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.