The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar

If I switch from BB Benching to DB Benching...

and then do that for a couple of months, then go back to BB, will my BB Bench be stronger or weaker? I know I will get stronger, but since BB and DB are different, would I have to get used to the BB again for a few weeks and then my bench will show the progress?
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Could go either way. If your pecs were lacking, and you kept up an auxiliary tri exercise i.e. skulls, then probably after about a week of starting back up you would see better gains.

On the other hand, it may just not ****ing work.

If your gains are teh suckage right now, give it a shot and report back
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

Welcome To Jamrock!!!! bIgHwN86's Avatar
    that worked for THEM....all i can really say is

Quote Originally Posted by superior_will

If your gains are teh suckage right now, give it a shot and report back
    try stuff out...

Why would you neglect technique on an exercise you want to improve?
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Yeah, my Bench gains are crappy right now (been stuck for about 5 weeks), so I may as well give it a shot and switch to DBs.

Powerman- Actually, I've realized that I don't even care about how much I BB Bench. I just want to get stronger...either DBs or BB, it doesn't really matter to me. I just wanna see some gains again!...Haven't seen those with bench in a while.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Most likely going to get weaker.

Honestly I think I'd be more worried about what I was eating than what exercises I was doing.

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

I did exactly what you are talking about and my bb dropped 5lbs when I came back. Hopefully this week it will be back up to speed.
    bests:
    bp 335x1 (unequipped), sq 430x5 belt, dl 475x1 sumo (unequipped)
    ----------------------------
    Cut: Start/250 Current/247
    Abs or bust: my journal
    ollld pics

How would benching with DBs make me weaker? I thought I've heard so many people say that DB Benching owns...
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 03-01-2005 at 07:03 PM.
    Lifting Journal

You people think too much.

Quote Originally Posted by PowerManDL
    You people think too much.
    :withstupi

Do Flat BB Bench and Incline DB Bench on the same day along with some flyes or cable crossovers.

On your next chest day, do Incline BB Bench, and Flat DB Bench along with some flyes or cable crossovers.

That's 3 exercises, do 5 working sets per exercise, of anywhere from 6-10 reps, and make sure you're getting enough food, and you will see gains..

2 weeks later and you still see no gains, eat more.
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

Quote Originally Posted by LittleJake

Do Flat BB Bench and Incline DB Bench on the same day along with some flyes or cable crossovers.

That's my workout for chest. 2 working sets of BB bench. 2 sets of DB bench. 2 sets of some kind of fly(cable, machine, or DB). All sets are for 8 reps (if possible). I have recently added 2 sets of pushups (10reps) just for the hell of it.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

Quote Originally Posted by LittleJake

On your next chest day, do Incline BB Bench, and Flat DB Bench along with some flyes or cable crossovers.

That's 3 exercises, do 5 working sets per exercise, of anywhere from 6-10 reps, and make sure you're getting enough food, and you will see gains..

2 weeks later and you still see no gains, eat more.
    Okay, so one day do Flat BB Bench, and then Incline DB Bench. And on the next workout day, do I want to do Dlat DB Bench and then Incline BB Bench? Or would I want to do the Incline BB Bench first that day?
    Lifting Journal

Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes
    Okay, so one day do Flat BB Bench, and then Incline DB Bench. And on the next workout day, do I want to do Dlat DB Bench and then Incline BB Bench? Or would I want to do the Incline BB Bench first that day?
    It doesn't matter what order you do them in. I prefer doing flyes before benching because I get a pre-fatigue and I feel the presses more in my chest.

As far as should you do arnold presses, I never do 'em. I don't like that exercise. IF I were to, and I do mean IF (because I depise doing chest and shoulders the same day, I like to give shoulders their own day), I would do what I said for chest, then add a military press, side raises, rear raises, and trap work...and if you were to do tris I would add some TRICEP dips (as opposed to chest dips [dont lean down as much]) and some pushdowns or skull crushes. So by designing 2 separate chest/shoulder/tri workouts I would go with this:

workout #1:
    Flat BB Bench 3x8
    Incline DB Bench 2x8
    Flat DB flyes 2x8
    Seated BB Military Press 3x8
    DB Side Raises 2x8
    Bent Over DB Side Raises (rear delts) 2x8
    DB Shrugs 2x8
    Dips 2x8
    Cable Pushdowns 2x8
    Skull Crushers 2x8

workout#2:
    Incline BB Bench 3x8
    Flat DB Bench 2x8
    Cable XO's 2x8
    Seated DB Shoulder Press 3x8
    DB Side Raises 2x8
    Reverse Pec Deck or Upright Rows 2x8
    BB Shrugs 3x8
    Dips 2x8
    Cable Pushdowns 2x8
    Skull Crushers 2x8

That gives you 7 working sets per chest and shoulders, and 6 working sets for triceps. Again this is how I would do a chest/shoulders/tri workout. As far as when to apply the 2 workouts, I would them week by week. So week 1 = workout 1, week 2 = workout 2, week 3 = workout 1... etc.

You may think thats alot of volume but I don't think so. I actually don't think thats enough volume, and again, if it were me, I would do 10working sets per bodypart and 8 for triceps. But I taylored this a with you in mind. I hope that helps.
    Last edited by JSully; 03-02-2005 at 06:10 PM.
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

heres why they got weaker, when moving two seperate objects you need ALOT more stabalizing from smaller muscles. this makes the lift in general smaller and makes the stronger muscles less worked which leads to a lower bb bench. i think however that alternating between workouts would probably at least work as good, but imho better.

Alright, I might as well try the DBs I don't have much to lose, since I'm kind of stuck at 105 lbs. on BB. So, what do you guys think is a good weight to try out with DBs?
    Lifting Journal

Quote Originally Posted by jack_of_all
    heres why they got weaker, when moving two seperate objects you need ALOT more stabalizing from smaller muscles. this makes the lift in general smaller and makes the stronger muscles less worked which leads to a lower bb bench. i think however that alternating between workouts would probably at least work as good, but imho better.
    I wouldn't call this entirely accurate, as the main muscles involved in a bench press still have the same movement to do. A 1rm (or 60% of it) will still be established with the dumbells, allowing for hypertrophy. Making the stabilizers stronger with dumbells should improve the barbell bench simply for the fact that you'll have more control and less fatigue of those same stabilizers at previous bests...provided the muscles have had time to get the memory of the movement back.

But..it's gonna affect everyone differently, and they are very different ways to bench, which will result in gains and losses in places you don't realize by doing one movement solely.

I think mine went down because I haven't been consuming enough protein lately. Slackerrrrr. I agree with PowerMan, you guys worry too much about little stuff.
    bests:
    bp 335x1 (unequipped), sq 430x5 belt, dl 475x1 sumo (unequipped)
    ----------------------------
    Cut: Start/250 Current/247
    Abs or bust: my journal
    ollld pics

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    I was doing 8x125 last June. Used DBs until september/october, then first day back I did 7x135. Moved up every week 5lbs or so, since I was still getting used to the exercise. I would say I gained about 20-30lbs on my bench in that summer, without even benching.

Not saying you will see similar results however.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

If you're benching a 105 lb BB right now then switching might help, but you could probably see better gains if you stuck to benching the barbell. What does your current routine look like? Do you feel over/undertrained?

For most trained individuals, changing from BB bench to DB bench for a notable period of time may help add some mass to the chest, but it will probably also result in a significant decline in one's ability to bench press. Chris Mason talked about a time where he was benching 350 for reps, switched to DB bench for a few months, made great gains, switched back and had a really hard time getting it up (some minor details may be off in this story).

Quote Originally Posted by Bizatch
    If you're benching a 105 lb BB right now then switching might help, but you could probably see better gains if you stuck to benching the barbell. What does your current routine look like? Do you feel over/undertrained?

For most trained individuals, changing from BB bench to DB bench for a notable period of time may help add some mass to the chest, but it will probably also result in a significant decline in one's ability to bench press. Chris Mason talked about a time where he was benching 350 for reps, switched to DB bench for a few months, made great gains, switched back and had a really hard time getting it up (some minor details may be off in this story).
    I don't feel over or under trained. I'm trying to eat as much as I can, and am trying my hardest to get past the minor plateau I am stuck on.

Here's my Chest/Delt/Tri day:

BB Bench Press
    DB Chest Fly
    Arnold Press
    CG BB Bench Press <--switching that out for Dips

It's kind of short, but I only have 25-30 minutes at the most to complete all my sets (I work out at school).
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 03-01-2005 at 10:18 PM.
    Lifting Journal

If you stick with DBs for a while, your BB bench will go down a lot once you switch back... you'll have to get used to the motion again.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

How many sets/reps per exercise? How close to failure are you going? Do you do this only once a week?

This all in mind, I think people somewhat new to the iron game do much better with a twice a week routine than a once a week. You can recover fully from benching 105 in a couple of days, you don't need to wait a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Bizatch
    You can recover fully from benching 105 in a couple of days, you don't need to wait a week.

Not if his max is 105, or even close to that..that's heavy for him, just like mine is heavy for me. I'm not gonna do chest twice a week.

Quote Originally Posted by mrelwooddowd
    Not if his max is 105, or even close to that..that's heavy for him, just like mine is heavy for me. I'm not gonna do chest twice a week.
    That's my rep weight, but yeah that's a good heavy weight for me to do sets with. I've never tried my max.

So, from what most of you have said, I'll probably just rotate between workouts. And btw, LittleJake, if I do what you said, shouldn't I still do Arnold Press for my delts? And are my tri's getting enough work?
    Lifting Journal