Thread: Can i do cardio after my workout?

Wannabebig Member

Can i do cardio after my workout?

Can i do cardio after my weight workout? Will it prevent strength and muscle gains? Any information is appreaciated?

3:16
    if you can do cardio on a seperate day. That is the preffered option of most people.

However if you have not got the time to go the gym on a non-lifting day. then do cardio after your workout. It may slow muscle gains. though its not going to make a huge difference especially if you keep the CV to short and intense.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

i got 30min of cardio after everyday i work out 4 times a week. no power loss yet
    6' 2" 22years old
    05' 232lbs, 06' summer 200lbs, Currently 226lbs
    FB 345x1 Seated MP 225x5

You can do it. May hinder your strength results but just make sure your eating the right calories.
    Never Giving In.

preferably put cardio on seperate days relegated for just cardio...but if u can't do that then just run high intensity short time period to maximize muscle retention and maximize fat loss...

"Squats make the ghetto booty"-Me
    "No matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max"-bIgHwN86
    "Reach for some self discipline."-Holto

I dont see how u ppl say do it on non lifting days. some of us lift 4-5 days a week. 2 days of cardio is worthless.

Burn calories when you lift, burn more calories after words, that way when u dont lift your giving ur body a break. You dont loose strength from running right after lifting unless your goal is to loose a TON of fat in a short amount of time. But with that goal it would happen weather you run after or on a another day
    6' 2" 22years old
    FB 345x1 Seated MP 225x5

Best for strength would be to perform cardio on non-lifting days if you use a 3-day split or something of that nature. If your lifting frequency is higher than 3 days a week, you can do cardio on those days just fine. For optimum strength retention, separate the cardio from lifting as much as possible. Eg; lift when you wake up and do cardio before you go to sleep or vice versa.
    Last edited by dw06wu; 02-27-2005 at 11:40 PM.
    bests:
    bp 335x1 (unequipped), sq 430x5 belt, dl 475x1 sumo (unequipped)
    ----------------------------
    Cut: Start/250 Current/247
    Abs or bust: my journal
    ollld pics

Quote Originally Posted by weightliftguy
    Can i do cardio after my weight workout? Will it prevent strength and muscle gains? Any information is appreaciated?
    The question is not "Can" you, the question is "Will that prevent muscle and strength gains." Generally, it is best to do cardio on another day. You need the time after your workout for recovery, but at the same time a cardio session before your workout would limit your strength.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesBOMB
    I dont see how u ppl say do it on non lifting days. some of us lift 4-5 days a week. 2 days of cardio is worthless.
    why is 2 days of cardio worthless? can you explain this to me please.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

Hardcore
    If you "Can" do any kind of cardio after a strength training workout, than you didn't work hard enough. There is no way you should be able to run on a treadmill, row on a rowing machine, or ride a stationary bike after a weightlifting workout. If you can do that, than you need to be thinking more about strength training, than cardio. Cardio is great to burn some calories, and it's great for your heart, but as far as changing your body focus on strength training.
    "I workout to music that makes me want to stomp on baby kittens." -David "Kick Ass" Davis

"The intended manipulation of mechanical work applied in order to stimulate a specific metabolic response."
    -Dr. Ben Bocchocchio on the Definition of Exercise

MACHINE
    Quote Originally Posted by The Real TO
    If you "Can" do any kind of cardio after a strength training workout, than you didn't work hard enough. There is no way you should be able to run on a treadmill, row on a rowing machine, or ride a stationary bike after a weightlifting workout.
    This is 100% false. I work out as hard, or harder than anyone, and I still have the ability to follow any workout (except legs) with 15 minutes of cardio on the treadmill or elliptical machine to support my cardiovascular and fat loss goals. Brief cardio after lifting will not comprimise any weight training progress. Extended cardio will. Cardio is 10x better than weight training for losing fat, so if you want to lose more fat than weight training results in, do it.
    "He's the best damn rollerskater that ever lived...probably in the whole town" - Chris Pontius

If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with.

5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560

Hardcore
    I'm not saying that it will comprise your weight training progress. What I am saying is that after I workout I can't physically do any cardio because I am so exhausted after working out. I just lay down in the middle of the gym, and rest for about 10 minutes because the workout is so freakin hard.

Also, your statement about cardio is completely false. Cardio is not the answer to losing weight. Let me give you an example. When you go to your local gym, Bally's or Lifetime Fitness, etc, check out the body types of people on the cardio machines compared to the people lifting weights. I guarantee you that the people lifting weights will be 10x more lean, and in shape than the people doing cardio. Also the number #1 to lose weight is what you do or don't put into your mouth. Nutrition is the best way to lose weight.

Finally. If you can still do cardio after this workout, I applaude you.

Chins (w/45lb Plate)
    Dips (w/45lb Plate)
    Leg Press
    Chins (w/25lb Plate)
    Dips (w/25lb Plate)
    Leg Press
    Body Weight Chins
    Body Weight Dips
    Leg Press

Now I no you said any workout except legs, but this is only 3 sets on legs so you shouldn't have a problem getting through this routine. Good luck.
    "I workout to music that makes me want to stomp on baby kittens." -David "Kick Ass" Davis

"The intended manipulation of mechanical work applied in order to stimulate a specific metabolic response."

I'm not saying that it will comprise your weight training progress. What I am saying is that after I workout I can't physically do any cardio because I am so exhausted after working out. I just lay down in the middle of the gym, and rest for about 10 minutes because the workout is so freakin hard.

Also, your statement about cardio is completely false. Cardio is not the answer to losing weight. Let me give you an example. When you go to your local gym, Bally's or Lifetime Fitness, etc, check out the body types of people on the cardio machines compared to the people lifting weights. I guarantee you that the people lifting weights will be 10x more lean, and in shape than the people doing cardio. Also the number #1 to lose weight is what you do or don't put into your mouth. Nutrition is the best way to lose weight.

Chins (w/45lb Plate)
    Dips (w/45lb Plate)
    Leg Press
    Chins (w/25lb Plate)
    Dips (w/25lb Plate)
    Leg Press
    Body Weight Chins
    Body Weight Dips
    Leg Press

Now I no you said any workout except legs, but this is only 3 sets on legs so you shouldn't have a problem getting through this routine. Good luck.
    Let's not get into a "my wang is bigger than your wang" competition here. But I think there may be an issue of non-random selection with your example. Lifters, I would say, generally tend to care more about their physique than your average treadmiller, hence they probably look more "in shape" due to a multitude of variables; not solely because they lift and others don't. Cardio, diet, and resistance training are the keys to most efficiently cutting fat in a healthy manner. Not one or the other.
    bests:
    bp 335x1 (unequipped), sq 430x5 belt, dl 475x1 sumo (unequipped)
    ----------------------------
    Cut: Start/250 Current/247
    Abs or bust: my journal
    ollld pics

Bottom line is: seperate cardio from weights as much as you can even if you do both in the same day. Just as dw06wu said

Quote Originally Posted by gino
    This is 100% false. I work out as hard, or harder than anyone, and I still have the ability to follow any workout (except legs) with 15 minutes of cardio on the treadmill or elliptical machine to support my cardiovascular and fat loss goals. Brief cardio after lifting will not comprimise any weight training progress. Extended cardio will. Cardio is 10x better than weight training for losing fat, so if you want to lose more fat than weight training results in, do it.
    I agree, somewhat. After even the hardest workout, I also still maintain the ability to perform a cardio session. We have to take into consideration that everyone is different. One lifter may be at a different stage. Lifter "A" may have significant strength, but little muscular endurance. An untrained individual will certainly be more drained following a weight training session than someone who has become accustomed to resistance training, and is more experienced.

The original question could be answered as follows, YES. "Can I do cardio after my weight workout?" Yes, of course you can. Will it maximize your results in strength and muscle mass improvements? No. The 2 hours following your training session are extremely important for recovery. You can take advantage of insulin spikes, hoard off catabolic effects, and get the ball rolling on your recovery period. The period directly following your resistance training session leaves your body in a state of catabolism. The muscle breakdown and damage does not stop once you put the barbell down. You can help to prevent this with pre/during/post workout recovery measures. However, if you throw in a cardio session after your workout you give your body little time to recover. The best time to perform a cardio workout would be on your off days in the morning (Waterbury, "Total Body Training"). This cardio session will help burn fat, speed up recovery, and build muscular endurance (Waterbury).

1) Waterbury, Chad. "Total Body Training" 2005.
    <www.t-nation.com>

If you "Can" do any kind of cardio after a strength training workout, than you didn't work hard enough. There is no way you should be able to run on a treadmill, row on a rowing machine, or ride a stationary bike after a weightlifting workout. If you can do that, than you need to be thinking more about strength training, than cardio. Cardio is great to burn some calories, and it's great for your heart, but as far as changing your body focus on strength training.
    I also be another guy to say that is false. You can never 100% fatigue your muscles during a workout sessions.

Quote Originally Posted by body
    why is 2 days of cardio worthless? can you explain this to me please.
    maybe 2 hrs a day. but if your cutting, or trying to loose some decent weight, i see 2 days cardio worthless
    6' 2" 22years old
    FB 345x1 Seated MP 225x5

Banned
    maybe 2 hrs a day. but if your cutting, or trying to loose some decent weight, i see 2 days cardio worthless
    Any cardio is burning more calories than none. You don't even NEED to do ANY cardio while cutting.

And yes, you can do it after your workout, but doing it a separate time or on a separate day is optimal.

Wannabebig New Member

cardio

I don't know about everyone else, but I seem to get a helluva "cardio" workout doing lower body, otherwise, I will do it on my "off"(non-lifting) days. I get a great heartrate going during every hour workout I do 3 times a week.

Quote Originally Posted by weightliftguy
    Yes, no, your welcome.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

MACHINE

Chins (w/45lb Plate)
    Dips (w/45lb Plate)
    Leg Press
    Chins (w/25lb Plate)
    Dips (w/25lb Plate)
    Leg Press
    Body Weight Chins
    Body Weight Dips
    Leg Press

First off, cardio IS the answer to cardiovascular health and losing MORE weight than your current diet allows. Not everyone knows enough about nutrition, or has the ability because of their schedule to eat perfectly every day. When it isn't possible to tune in on the diet more, it's simple to do a bit of cardio here and there to burn a few hundred extra calories and get the metabolism up a bit more.

Second, I've been working out for a long time, and I know how to get myself into contest shape via diet and training. The more refined your diet gets and the lower the calories, the less nutrients are being processed by your body...vitamins, minerals, etc. This can be detrimental to muscle building goals, so the best solution is to up the food intake a bit and get the caloric deficit via cardio.

Last, that observation of people on cardio machines vs weights is very poor. Think about it a bit, don't take it for face value. People vary in goals, genetics, knowlege, etc. Fat people NEED to be on the cardio machines because they lack the genetics and/or knowlege to reach their FAT LOSS goals otherwise. Lean people usually have better genetics and more knowlege about staying lean, and want MORE MUSCLE. That's why they're lifting weights. Most of the most muscular, lean guys in the world do cardio EVERY DAY. Do pro bodybuilders know how to diet? Yeah. It's not coincidence, there are benefits to cardio beyond what diet can provide.

Oh, and after that workout you just posted, I could probably do 60 minutes of intense cardio. No joke. I'm an athlete, and I consider myself to be in great cardiovascular/muscular endurance shape, despite being 215 at only 5'10". I work out real hard, and I limit the cardio to brief post-workout sessions because I've done my research, and there are plenty of reasons why this is good. I could do longer, but that would be detrimental to my muscle-building goals.

Quote Originally Posted by NaturalBuilder
    The original question could be answered as follows, YES. "Can I do cardio after my weight workout?" Yes, of course you can. Will it maximize your results in strength and muscle mass improvements? No. The 2 hours following your training session are extremely important for recovery. You can take advantage of insulin spikes, hoard off catabolic effects, and get the ball rolling on your recovery period. The period directly following your resistance training session leaves your body in a state of catabolism. The muscle breakdown and damage does not stop once you put the barbell down. You can help to prevent this with pre/during/post workout recovery measures. However, if you throw in a cardio session after your workout you give your body little time to recover. The best time to perform a cardio workout would be on your off days in the morning (Waterbury, "Total Body Training"). This cardio session will help burn fat, speed up recovery, and build muscular endurance (Waterbury).
    While it won't maximize results, brief (key word) post-workout sessions will not be detrimental either. Whether you get that post workout nutrition 5 minutes or 20 minutes after you put the dumbell down will have no impact whatsoever. Those same pathways that are primed to accept a flood of nutrients will still be open either way. Now 5 minutes or 60 minutes is a different story, but I wasn't suggesting long cardio after weights was good... Rest supports muscle more than anything else, so on a "rest" day from the weights, do just that, rest. Doing 15 minutes of cardio right after your workout 4-5 days a week will be better than taking those couple of rest days and doing a full cardio session.
    "He's the best damn rollerskater that ever lived...probably in the whole town" - Chris Pontius

5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560

Chins (w/45lb Plate)
    Dips (w/45lb Plate)
    Leg Press
    Chins (w/25lb Plate)
    Dips (w/25lb Plate)
    Leg Press
    Body Weight Chins
    Body Weight Dips
    Leg Press

yep i could do cardio as well after that work out. I will admit i will not be able to do it as hard as if i turned up fresh at the gym. But i would be able to burn a substanial amount of kcals in the process.
    Last edited by body; 03-01-2005 at 01:46 PM.

to say its worthless will mean it have zero effect. Now in say 2 session of HIIT i could burn quite a few kcals to assit fat loss.
    doing more may be better. But that does not mean this level is worthless.

Hardcore
    Gino. Wow. I don't know where to start.

#1. If you can do 60 minutes of cardio after that workout, than you might as well sign up to take on Ronnie next year. There is no freakin way.

#2. I'm wondering what your definition of intensity is? I've been reading some of your posts, and I haven't come across your definition of what you believe it is. Here's my definition. One set of all out, move that weight like your life depends on it, in a slow controlled manner. Intensity has to be high every single workout, or it isn't worth doing.

#3. Example of intensity. I did this at the start of my workout today. This is a challenge my boss gave to me. 1 1/2 Chins in 1 minute 30 seconds. Sounds easy. But do this protocol. Start at the top, and lower yourself for 30 seconds, then after a full stretch where your feet almost touch the ground, do a 30 second positive chin, then when you get to the top, reverse and go back down again for 30 seconds. Do this for Dips too. 1 set. This is what intensity is all about. If you can do it, which I'm sure you can because you are an ATHLETE, you do have an understanding of what intensity truly is.

#4. Your whole post about how genetics plays more of a factor in people who lift weights compared to those who do cardio is complete crap. You aren't one of those people who believe that genetics stand in everyone elses way of getting good results. I agree that genetics do have a roll in where a person can get to, but it is a very limiting factor. You have to be very strict on nutrition, and exercise to achieve your goals. But don't have this genetics limits people on cardio so they have to do it. That's just wrong.

#1. If you can do 60 minutes of cardio after that workout, than you might as well sign up to take on Ronnie next year. There is no freakin way..
    he will not be able to do cardio intensly as if had not done weights. But it can be down. Plus other people do different intense work outs. Just becuase you may train more intensley, does not mean you may get better results. I have had to drop my intensity to get results. i am getting good gains with out going to faluire and full out intensity. but that deabte is another thread, well more a bumping another old thread.

#2. I'm wondering what your definition of intensity is? I've been reading some of your posts, and I haven't come across your definition of what you believe it is. Here's my definition. One set of all out, move that weight like your life depends on it, in a slow controlled manner. Intensity has to be high every single workout, or it isn't worth doing..
    I have done cardio ages ago when i trianed more intensly after a leg session which include a triple drop set on the leg press hitting faluire 3 times and doing 20 reps in total. I had a slight headahce after it. I did do some squats before this.

#3. Example of intensity. I did this at the start of my workout today. This is a challenge my boss gave to me. 1 1/2 Chins in 1 minute 30 seconds. Sounds easy. But do this protocol. Start at the top, and lower yourself for 30 seconds, then after a full stretch where your feet almost touch the ground, do a 30 second positive chin, then when you get to the top, reverse and go back down again for 30 seconds. Do this for Dips too. 1 set. This is what intensity is all about. If you can do it, which I'm sure you can because you are an ATHLETE, you do have an understanding of what intensity truly is. .
    I know that is not easy and it will hurt. however I rather do that than doing a 20 rep squat breathing style. Plus to go that slow will take me a while to learn the techniques and timing of it. plus i do not feel super slow like that is best way to get big and strong. may hurt. but some of us what size and power.

MACHINE
    Man, you've got to be kidding me. Seriously.

#1. If you can do 60 minutes of cardio after that workout, than you might as well sign up to take on Ronnie next year. There is no freakin way.
    Yes, there is a way. Ronnie isn't successful in bodybuilding because he has high endurance. I could elaborate the reasons why, but I'd be wasting my energy here.

#2. I'm wondering what your definition of intensity is? I've been reading some of your posts, and I haven't come across your definition of what you believe it is. Here's my definition. One set of all out, move that weight like your life depends on it, in a slow controlled manner. Intensity has to be high every single workout, or it isn't worth doing.
    My definition of intensity is 100% effort, that's all. Usually, this is accompanied by blood shot eyes, lightheadedness, and a general hatred of everyone and everything. I'm not a pleasant person in the gym. My definition of punishment is grunting out 15 minutes of cardio having just completed one of my workouts...but this is nothing compared to 3-a-day football practices in 100 degree heat and people puking all over the field, and pre-season football training alone in the heat with a 60 lb vest on running up hills with my lungs and every muscle in my body burning with no one around to push me but myself. I am a driven individual that doesn't need lecturing about what intensity is. Anyone who knows me knows that, and I'd really like an opportunity to know you so we could put this to rest, but it's the internet, so I guess I'll just have to settle with you calling my intensity less-than that of yours. Oh well.

#3. Example of intensity. I did this at the start of my workout today. This is a challenge my boss gave to me. 1 1/2 Chins in 1 minute 30 seconds. Sounds easy. But do this protocol. Start at the top, and lower yourself for 30 seconds, then after a full stretch where your feet almost touch the ground, do a 30 second positive chin, then when you get to the top, reverse and go back down again for 30 seconds. Do this for Dips too. 1 set. This is what intensity is all about. If you can do it, which I'm sure you can because you are an ATHLETE, you do have an understanding of what intensity truly is.
    Yes I can do it, but I won't do something that doesn't benefit me in some way. This qualifies as just that. I think you need to do more research and do what your body and science says you should do. Efficiency is the key to productivity.

#4. Your whole post about how genetics plays more of a factor in people who lift weights compared to those who do cardio is complete crap. You aren't one of those people who believe that genetics stand in everyone elses way of getting good results. I agree that genetics do have a roll in where a person can get to, but it is a very limiting factor. You have to be very strict on nutrition, and exercise to achieve your goals. But don't have this genetics limits people on cardio so they have to do it. That's just wrong.
    Some people are genetically leaner than others. Again, do some research before making these incorrect statements. For instance, my friend is naturally 210 lbs @ 5'10" and carries 7-8% bodyfat year-round. How often does he eat? Whenever he can...2, sometimes 3 meals a day. What does he eat? Whatever is around...pizza, sandwiches, cereal. How much protein does he take in? He has no idea, he doesn't keep track, nor does he take any supplements. He's just very genetically gifted. This is an extreme case, but there is a huge range between him and the fata$$ who starves themself and works out every day and has trouble losing weight. Look into calorie partitioning and how it differs from individual to individual. Again, research.

I think half of the issue here is you simply reading and understanding what I'm saying in my post. You take what I say and twist it around completely to make it work for what you're arguing. I never said that people with poor genetics with regards to bodyfat% MUST do cardio to get leaner, and are ONLY fat because of their genetics. I'm saying that for some, diet simply either isn't enough, or they (again, read my previous post) don't have the ability with their schedule or the knowlege to make those adjustments otherwise.

...which I believe I said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by gino
    First off, cardio IS the answer to cardiovascular health and losing MORE weight than your current diet allows. Not everyone knows enough about nutrition, or has the ability because of their schedule to eat perfectly every day. When it isn't possible to tune in on the diet more, it's simple to do a bit of cardio here and there to burn a few hundred extra calories and get the metabolism up a bit more.

5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560