Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Disgusting Fatbody

Wannabebig Member

BigE...the new Hotness

Hello,

Just joined after reading through a posts for a couple days. As the title suggests I'm a fatbody who has just made the committment to change.

Stats:

Height: 6'4"
    Weight: 326 lbs

Hoping you can all help me out as I'm dire need of it (as you can see). I've had quite a few medical setbacks in the last three years and put on approx 80 lbs during that time. I've been in the hospital for broken foot, kidney stones twice, ruptured 2 disks, and tore up my MCL.

My body fat is 29% via waist - neck measurements (48 - 19). I feel that I'm somewhat fit (cardio wise) but don't have much strength. Goal is 18% or about 220 lbs.

I ride a bike (stationary and outdoors) quite a lot and have just started lifting. A typical workout for me is 45 mins on the bike at 170 bpm when on the stationary or about 20 miles X 5 times a week when the weather gets warmer and I cycle to work. I've also been hitting the treadmill and do a 17 minute 1.5 mile. Goal is 13:30.

For strength measurements I'm using pushup/situps. At present I can do 26 pushups and 21 situps. Goal is 50 of each.

I just started logging my food intake this week and I'm averaging about 1484 cals with a split of 44/27/29 (carb/prot/fat). This has lost me 3 lbs this week.

I've also ordered some supplements VPX Redline, Thyrocutts II, and Humangro.

Come Monday I'll start lifting and doing 45 min cardio and trying to reduce the fat/increase protein in my diet.
    Last edited by BigE; 03-01-2005 at 11:20 AM.

welcome!!

welcome to journal land and good luck with your goals...just stay motivated. I am in a similar situation to what you are...I started out at around 275 and made it down to 225 through diet and exercise and the undying support of the wbb members. If you need any help let me know.

Do that voodoo that he do
    Welcome to the boards.

At your size, you're going to need to start with a higher calorie intake than 1500.

You'll quickly stall on that low a diet. How interested are you in the minutia of dieting? It can be complex or simple.

Keep poking around the diet forum and some diets. There have been quite a few people here that have come from the levels you're at and done very well.

Best of luck!
    Be a man. Be awesome at it. Be proud of it. Beyond the Barbell

"Borris is correct. That sounds logical if you ask me."
    -galileo

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Borris
    At your size, you're going to need to start with a higher calorie intake than 1500.
    Thats the same thing my trainer said when I was doing about 1000 cals last week. The thing about it though was that I only ate dinner and then snacked on junk food. I wasn't hungry during the day but I was still putting on weight. I got educated to starvation mode/depleting muscles for energy and such and I'm trying to change my eating habits. I suppose my metabolism is pretty slow hence the reason for the Thyrocutts and theromogenic.

This past week, I've been eating about every 3 - 4 hours and I'm noticing that when I hit 4 hours I'm hungry. These last two days, I've been pretty ravenous when I wake up. I've been cautious as to how much I've been eating and I still feel that I'm eating too much but in the back of my mind I know you are right. I have a couple appointments with a nutritionlist this coming week so I hope to have it ironed out then.

Besides eating regularly, I'm also trying to down about 5 liters of water and also eat my carbs in the morn and prot at night. I'm also trying to cut out snacking in the middle of the night as I am prone to waking at 2 - 3 am and eating junk.

I started the wbb routine yesterday and coupled it with a 18:30 1.5 mile jog aftwards. I felt pretty good but today I can't lift my hands over my head without soreness...reminds me of the months of physical therapy when I did my back/knee in.

Wannabebig Member

Did you hear me counting?

I overshot the time to eat my Meal 2 and it just dorked everything up...

Diet for today...still trying to figure out how to eat more...I feel like I'm pigging out but the cals aren't there. Good thing though is that I got the carb/fat/prot thing better today.
    Cals/Fat/Carb/Prot
    M1 - Instant Oatmeal, 2 cups 452/7/78/19

M2 - Boiled Egg Whites, 5 82/0/2/17

M3 - Louis Rich Grilled Chicken Breasts, 1/2 pack 165/5/2/29

M4 - Tuna Creations Hickory Smoked, 1 pouch 200/5/0/35
    Lean Cuisine Thai Chicken 250/5/35/18

M5 - Lo-cal Mayonnaise, 3 tbsp 113/8/10/0
    Tuna, canned, water pack, 2 cans 387/3/0/85
    Onions, mature, raw 42/0/9/1
    Country Hearth 12 Grain Bread 220/3/42/8

Totals 1912 cals 36 fat 179 carb 213 prot

Today was leg day of a mWBB1

15 Minutes on bike MHR 163

Hack Squats:
    10 X 200
    10 x 200
    10 x 180
    10 x 180
    10 x 160

Squat Press:
    10 X 400, 5 sets

Standing Calf
    10 x 130, 4 sets

Seated Leg Curls
    10 X 175
    10 X 160
    10 X 145
    10 X 130

Leg Extensions
    10 x 58 kg
    10 x 58 kg
    10 x 49 kg
    10 x 42 kg

Hip Abductor
    10 X 125, 4 sets

Hip Adductor
    10 X 95 kg, 4 sets

Treadmill
    15 mins at 4.2 mph, 0 incline

Any comments as to my diet...perhaps more chicken?

Any comments as to about where I am with my weights?

Tommorrow is 45 mins on bike at 165 bpm and also my appointment with my trainer.

MACHINE
    Your diet looks pretty good actually. Plenty of protein to support muscle maintenance, and moderate amounts of quality carbs. I'd add a bit more fat in there like maybe a small salad with meal 2 or three with greens, veggies, olive oil and vinegar.

Try doing 30 minutes of cardio after your workout. If your only goal was to gain muscle, I'd suggest only 15 minutes, but since losing fat is priority #1, 30 minutes would be better. Restrict the sets in your workout and do some more weight if you can. Cut those exercises that you're doing 4-5 sets of down to 2-3 sets. This should yield the same results in your weight training, give you more time for cardio (and fat loss), all while not requiring you to spend more time in the gym.

Good luck with everything.
    "He's the best damn rollerskater that ever lived...probably in the whole town" - Chris Pontius

If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with.

5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560

Wannabebig Member
    Calories Eaten Today
    source grams cals %total
    Total: 2007
    Fat: 51 455 23%
    Sat: 16 148 8%
    Poly: 1 9 0%
    Mono: 10 87 5%
    Carbs: 180 636 33%
    Fiber: 21 0 0%
    Protein: 211 846 44%
    Alcohol: 0 0 0%

Did 45 mins on the Lifecycle today @ hr of 165

Also met with my trainer who basically changed the whole WBB1 around. He has me doing:

Chest, Shoulders, Tris:
    Isolateral Incline Press
    Chest Press
    Shoulder Press
    Lateral Raise
    Tricep Extension

Back & Biceps:
    Seated Row
    Lat Pulldowns
    Rear Delt
    Shrugs
    Curls

Legs:
    Squats
    45 degree Leg Press
    Lunges
    Seated Leg Curl
    Calf Raises

4 sets, 15 - 20 reps, last two sets to failure

Abs each day

Weight today is 324. Whoo hoo

MACHINE
    Workout doesn't look bad. Reps are a little high, but chances are that this trainer you have falls into the "high reps tone, low reps bulk" preachers, which is incorrect. However, it won't hurt you much, so carry on to make things easier between you and your trainer.(shoot for 15 reps though with higher weight). Abs should only be done once or twice per week, like any other bodypart. Don't be fooled, doing abs does not make the waist smaller, it just builds the muscle up under whatever fat you have there. How are you incorporating cardio into your weekly training schedule? Are you trying the 30 minutes after, or sticking to the 15?
    "He's the best damn rollerskater that ever lived...probably in the whole town" - Chris Pontius

5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560

Wannabebig Member
    I'm going to try and do 30 mins on lift days (Mon, Wed, Fri). Hopefully after I get used to lifting I won't be as sore and can manage it...definately minimum of 15 min prelift warmup and 15 min postlift. Nonlift days (Tues, Thurs, Sat) will be 45 to 60 mins...once the weather gets better it won't be a problem as I cycle commute...best time in to work is 21 minutes and I normally take the long way home which is 40 - 45 minutes. I'm usually on the road by April.

I'm kinda in a unique situation as I have MAJOR negative motivation to do my workouts. My job is on the line with this and I have to keep my trainer, nutritionlist, and boss sweet. I have to document everything (food and exercise) and get it countersigned by gym staff after they review it. I'm trying not to focus too much on it as I know if I follow the guidelines and stay disciplined I'll be golden...results will come.

I took some measurements tonight to guage my progress:

16-1/2 bi
    31 quads
    19-1/2 calf
    48 waist
    19 neck
    51 chest

I don't know if you are poking fun at yourself but I'd suggest you get your journal name changed to a more positive title.

Best of luck and don't let anything get you down!

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PizDoff
    I don't know if you are poking fun at yourself but I'd suggest you get your journal name changed to a more positive title.
    Would it be better to change my nick to Private Pyle?

Like an alcoholic, acceptance of what you are is the first step of change...Hello, I'm BigE and I'm a disgusting fatbody...

Wannabebig Member
    Diet:

Calories Eaten Today
    source grams cals %total
    Total: 2053
    Fat: 65 581 29%
    Sat: 15 136 7%
    Poly: 12 110 5%
    Mono: 19 171 8%
    Carbs: 139 511 25%
    Fiber: 11 0 0%
    Protein: 229 917 46%

Exercise

Lifecycle 15 mins @ 160 hr, 5.41 miles

Back Rows:
    15 @ 120
    10 @ 105
    10 @ 90
    5 @ 135

Lat Pulldown:
    10 @ 56 kg
    10 @ 49 kg
    10 @ 42 kg

Rear Delt Cable Fly
    15 @ 15 kg
    10 @ 25 kg
    8 @ 35 kg
    7 @ 40 kg

Shrugs:
    10 @ 90
    10 @ 140
    8 @ 180
    6 @ 180

Alternating Rotating Barbell Curls:
    15 @ 30
    10 @ 35
    15 @ 25
    7 @ 40

Randomness:
    Feel pretty good. I could really feel the rear delts. Got interrupted twice by work and had to leave before I was able to finish with some more cardio. The diet seems to be going good and I'm not starving. Legs were really sore from leg day and the bike yesterday but loosened up good during the warmup cycle. Ordered some protein and CEE today.

Originally posted by BigE
    Like an alcoholic, acceptance of what you are is the first step of change...Hello, I'm BigE and I'm a disgusting fatbody...

your a sick and twisted guy...
    Last edited by bboyarfen; 03-02-2005 at 03:38 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    Diet:

Calories Eaten Today
    source grams cals %total
    Total: 1950
    Fat: 63 567 30%
    Sat: 14 123 7%
    Poly: 1 9 0%
    Mono: 4 39 2%
    Carbs: 173 624 33%
    Fiber: 17 0 0%
    Protein: 177 708 37%

Exercise:

45 mins Lifecycle at 160 hr, 17.20 miles

Crunches: 23, 10

Randomness:
    Had my appt today with my nutritionist where he told me that I wasn't eating enough. Said I need to range between 2500 and 3000 cals with a 40% carb, 30% prot, 30% fat ratio...any thoughts on this? I'm already finding hard to eat 2000 cals much less 500+ more...guess I need to get some MR shakes. He also mentioned that I need to increase my carbs in M1 thru M4 to fuel my workouts. I felt like $hit on the bike today as I missed my M4 just before my workout. Noticed a dramatic decrease in sweat production...I've been drinking nothing but water (about 4.5L a day and about 5 cups of coffee)...so I don't know what's up with that. For the first time since starting this I also felt sleepy around midday. The main thing that pisses me off is that I'm getting a lot of different stories about what I should be doing from a lot of different people...very confusing and frustrating. I'm kinda agitated that I'm not sore from my new back/bicep day...makes me feel like I didn't accomplish anything.
    Last edited by BigE; 03-03-2005 at 12:01 PM.

MACHINE
    Quote Originally Posted by BigE

Randomness:
    Had my appt today with my nutritionist where he told me that I wasn't eating enough. Said I need to range between 2500 and 3000 cals with a 40% carb, 30% prot, 30% fat ratio...any thoughts on this? I'm already finding hard to eat 2000 cals much less 500+ more...guess I need to get some MR shakes. He also mentioned that I need to increase my carbs in M1 thru M4 to fuel my workouts. I felt like $hit on the bike today as I missed my M4 just before my workout. Noticed a dramatic decrease in sweat production...I've been drinking nothing but water (about 4.5L a day and about 5 cups of coffee)...so I don't know what's up with that. For the first time since starting this I also felt sleepy around midday. The main thing that pisses me off is that I'm getting a lot of different stories about what I should be doing from a lot of different people...very confusing and frustrating. I'm kinda agitated that I'm not sore from my new back/bicep day...makes me feel like I didn't accomplish anything.
    At your size, I'd think that 2500 calories would be a pretty good number to shoot for. I'm trying to lose some fat right now (albeit only a couple percent and very slowly) and I'm maintaining between 2700 and 2900 calories per day. I really think that those ratios should lean more towards protein though instead of carbs... like 40 pro, 30 carb, 30 fat. Keep the water intake high, at least 1 gallon per day. How much quality sleep have you been getting? Perhaps you need more, or better sleep. I usually try to time my coffee intake to assist with my day. I have a cup first thing in the morning, and then when midday comes around(after lunch) I'll have another, as I sometimes get sleepy then too. Once in a while I'll need one before my evening workout, but not always. Try to stay away from coffee unless you feel you need it to combat sleepiness. Believe me I LOVE coffee, but I try not to rely on it too much.

Soreness is NOT the way to gauge your progress. The weight you use, reps you can do, body weight, and what you see in the mirror is the ultimate judge. As long as you can do the exercise you did a couple weeks ago and either get a couple more reps with that same weight, or you can do the same reps with a bit more weight, you are doing great. If the scale shows that you lost a couple pounds while all of this is happening, you are winning big time. It's always tougher to get stronger AND lose weight than do one or the other by themselves. You're making a change in your lifestyle, so there will be some obstacles and surprises. I'll keep checking in, but you're on the right track, so keep the consistancy and persistance going.

5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560

MACHINE
    And another thing, I'd suggest getting the EAS Myoplex MRPs. Those are my favorite, and provide 42g protein, 24g carbs and a couple grams of fat. I get mine on ebay for very cheap. I just bought 94 packs for about $100. Helluva deal at only about a buck each.

5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560

Quote Originally Posted by BigE
    The main thing that pisses me off is that I'm getting a lot of different stories about what I should be doing from a lot of different people...very confusing and frustrating.
    Tune everyone out but your trainer, and Gino. You know the trainer is the one who you have to keep happy, and the members here will give you good advice as well. What kind of job is it that will not only fire you for being too heavy, but interrupt your mandatory workouts repeatedly???

AHHHH! Not another BigE! But hey, good luck with your training bro.

Wannabebig Member
    Hey thanks for all the help Gino...major props to you. My sleep pattern sucks to say the least...I'm kinda borderline insomniac although I have been getting more sleep since execising. I usually go to bed at midnight, wake up between 2 - 3 am, go the bathroom and slug down a mouthful of milk and then back to bed and up at 6.

Mr E Dowd...I'm in the military

Heya BigE...thanks for stopping by

Diet Today:

Calories Eaten Today
    source grams cals %total
    Total: 2082
    Fat: 56 500 25%
    Sat: 15 131 6%
    Poly: 7 64 3%
    Mono: 9 77 4%
    Carbs: 203 757 37%
    Fiber: 14 0 0%
    Protein: 195 780 38%

Exercise:

1-1/2 mile on treadmil, 18:46

Incline Press
    13 @ 110
    11 @ 110
    8 @ 110
    10 @ 90

Bench Press (I'm ashamed to post but 'ere goes)
    10 @ 95
    4 @ 135
    11 @ 95
    7 @ 105

Shoulder Press
    6 @ 88
    12 @ 55
    13 @ 55
    8 @ 66

Lateral Raise
    15 @ 50
    10 @ 80
    11 @ 80
    8 @ 110

Tricep Pulldown, High Pulley
    12 @ 70
    10 @ 70
    10 @ 70
    9 @ 80

Randomness: Felt good on the treadmill today...much better than on the bike yesterday but I got my meals in on time and have moved most of the carbs to the morning meals. I almost hopped on the bike after lifting but it was getting late and I need to spend some quality time with the missus. Plan is to hit the bike for an hour tomorrow and then pick up some MRPs, MP3 Player, and gloves. I'm conscientence of the lack of weights I'm able to pump out but Gino had set me straight. My tris are already screaming and I broke out the Bengay so I know come tomorrow I'll be crying like a baby who's had its dummy taken away.

Okay, good job for getting this started.

Now, couple of questions:
    Are you doing your cardio first or second? You need to do it AFTER you lift, not before, unless it's separated by a few hours. If you do it first, you'll limit your fat loss and your muscle growth, and train your body to need less and less fuel. You want to train it to need more and more fuel. Always do cardio at the end, or in a separate workout.

Also, what's your nutrition like before, and after, you workout? What do you eat before you train, and how far ahead of time? How about right after?

MACHINE
    Brief, light pre-workout cardio like he does is fine.

BigE, that sleep pattern is very poor. I can get by with going to bed at Midnight and getting up at 6am, but that's uninterrupted deep sleep. You need to try sleeping the whole night through. Maybe you should reduce the water (liquid) intake in the evening before bed so that you don't need to use the bathroom. At least 6 hours of solid sleep will do you much better than a few ounces of milk will. I try to get all the liquids I need by 9pm. Then, I'll allow myself 1 glass of water for the last couple hours before bed. I'll sleep straight through from 11 or 12 until 6:30am. I'll need to pee real bad as soon as I get up, but luckily it doesn't wake me up...it's like an extra alarm for me in the morning though.

One other suggestion: Are you tracking your progress and using it to construct your next workout? I noticed that you often go up and down with the weight you use, which is alright because you just started out...but it would be good if you found what weight you were comfortable with doing 8-12 times and sticking with that for all sets (after warmup(s)). It'll be easier to track your progression from week to week this way. If you get stronger and can do the weight 15 times, you'll know to bump up the weight a bit next workout.

5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560

3 minutes of pre-lifting cardio, if you MUST, sure. But 18 minutes of cardio before lifting is too damned long, and serves no purpose.

My .02

Wannabebig Member
    Yeah you seen right and nailed it, boy you are on point.

I'm still trying to figure out what I can and cannot do as far as the weight is concerned hence why its kinda all over the place. I got kinda dorked around this week because I was all over WBB1 and then my trainer changed it all around and even the split so I'm trying to crossover to get in a routine. Next week should be better as I know what I'll be doing and have a lot better idea of what weight I can do.

As far as the cardio today...it was killer. When I jog my hr usually gets up to about 185 - 190 so it was a poor choice to do as a warmup for lifting. I was somewhat spent after I got done with the treadmill so I think I'll have to move that to after lifting. I'll warmup with a 15 minute spin on the bike to 160 hr.

I'm still trying to find out what works and the timing of it all but hopefully by the end of next week I'll have it all sorted out.

Quick question about something that's been niggling me....
    Do you think that all this exercise and change in diet could effect my libido? Like decrease it?

Cardio can decrease it, but heavy lifting should increase testosterone output.

Drop that pre-lifting cardio waaaay down. Save your energy for the lifting.