Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lifting to Body Weight ratio

Quote Originally Posted by Ugly Genius
    Yeah -- a typo.

And in the imaginary formula, x would not equal your weight but your max for a given lift. But fixing typos and algebraic inaccuracies in a made-up formula is cutting it rather close to being kinda pointless.

I should note, however, that for the most accurate results, another variable, z, should be included, where z = the difference between the circumference of your wrist and his/hers. (Measurements should be taken in the morning before breakfast exactly two days after an arm workout using the same measuring tape. Measure the area behind the hand and in front of the wrist bone.)
    LMAO.. the circumferance of your wrist.... haha!

But, using this equation, would mean that the bigger/stronger guy ALWAYS wins...

have you never watched UFC?

In any case, there should be another variable(s): xx, where xx represents speed. And even yy, where yy represents experience. Hell, even zz, where zz represents training knowledge.

So with that being said, now there's 6 variables... hardly a good analogy for the topic..

But I like the argument!
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

Quote Originally Posted by shansen008
    I dont like any of these ideas, it really depends on your proportions. I weigh 281, and can bench my own weight, maybe slightly more for max......but from what i have seen in the gym it is much easier for lighter folks to bench their own weight and then some.

Point is that it is impossible to come up with an equation that suits everyone, everyones body is built differently. There are guys im my gym that can benc h the same weight as me, yet only weigh 190-200 lbs. Can they rep out 365 on squats....i doubt it. But i can. So who is stronger? If anything it should be a sliding scale, not linear. I see little guys in the gym repping out 15+ pullups liek it was nothing, but then agian...they weigh NOTHING. I cant do more than a couple of pullups at my weight...but by no means am i WEAK. I do pulldowns with 200+ with strict form, and am progressing.

As long as you are making progress...you are kicking butt. Thats all that matters.
    Do more pullups!

Don't neglect pullups just because you aren't very strong at them. Jump up there and do some negatives. I used to be like that until I said fcuk it and did 5-6 sets of as many as I could do. Now I can do +45 for 6-8 reps. And I weigh 230lbs.
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Stagg
    give or take:

Bench 1.5xbw
    Squat 2xbw
    deadlift 2.5xbw
    I would agree that these numbers are very respectable. Not that someone is weak if they can't put up those numbers at all, though. But, regardless of body weight, that just makes me say "Damn, that guy's a beast."
    bests:
    bp 335x1 (unequipped), sq 430x5 belt, dl 475x1 sumo (unequipped)
    ----------------------------
    Cut: Start/250 Current/247
    Abs or bust: my journal
    ollld pics

My deadlift is 545. I weigh 230...

545/230 = 2.36 I'm weak.
    Squat = 535 ... 535/230 = 2.32 .. yay I meet the requirements!
    Bench = 425 ... 425/230 = 1.84 .. again! yay!

I bet my maxes are lower now because of cutting though.
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

shaolin must have been smoking weed when he first thought this up

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigpoppapump979
    shaolin must have been smoking weed when he first thought this up
    lol!! I didn't make this up. These ratio's are used as a measuring stick of balanced strength based on weight. I am sure you have heard of people aim to bench their weight, so why is this crazy? lol@you!!

Its definetly a good thing to aim for but its way easyier to do for short people. Height is a huge disadvantage if thats your only mind set

ive heard more about ratios as far as size goes rather than lifting abilities.

If im 170lb and 5'10 am i overweight?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMachine
    That was a joke. The leg press is such a circus lift someone could tell me they leg pressed 300000lbs and I wouldn't really be impressed. At one point I could leg press 12 plates per side for sets of 15 and you know what? My squat still stunk. Leg press is ok for beginners but it won't take you very far.
    Chances are your form was abysmal then. Clearly whichever of the 2 lifts you perform more often you will be "better" at, but assuming you're doing both in your routine there should be a definite correlation.

For the record, I don't squat. I only do leg press and my legs are not lacking.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Temple
    lol!! I didn't make this up. These ratio's are used as a measuring stick of balanced strength based on weight. I am sure you have heard of people aim to bench their weight, so why is this crazy?
    I'm not really sure why everyone thinks this is so weird. I don't care about ratios myself, but it's fairly common. Obviously it's more impressive for someone who weighs 150 to bench 315 than it is for someone who weighs 250.

For a guideline of whats strong listen to Paul Stagg.
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

Quote Originally Posted by LittleJake
    Do more pullups!

Don't neglect pullups just because you aren't very strong at them. Jump up there and do some negatives. I used to be like that until I said fcuk it and did 5-6 sets of as many as I could do. Now I can do +45 for 6-8 reps. And I weigh 230lbs.

No doubt, i do negs sometimes...but ive been progressing well ont he pulldowns, and as i get closer to bodyweight ill start doing them more. If you saw me youd understand though....legs like tree trunks.

Quote Originally Posted by Vido
    I'm not really sure why everyone thinks this is so weird. I don't care about ratios myself, but it's fairly common. Obviously it's more impressive for someone who weighs 150 to bench 315 than it is for someone who weighs 250.
    I undersatand where you are coming from, but here is what i dont like about that statement. There are shorter guys in my gym who have upper bodies of similar size. The bench press is an upper body exercise, so why get down on a taller guy for not being able to put up another 100 pounds of what is in essence just dead weight not being used to MOVE the weight. I guess im jsut more impressed by people benching a nice number, regardless of size. In fact id go so far as to say that its more impressive for the taller guy to put up the same weight seeing as how he has to push it farther and actually do more work.