The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

Lifting to Body Weight ratio

Due to lack of better term I call this lifting to body weight ratio. Lemme explain what i mean. Considering one's body weight, that person should aim to lift a certain amount (depending on the exercise) of their body weight to be considered "strong." I use the term "strong" loosely.

For instance, I think benching 1.5 times one's body weight is a great goal
    Leg press might be 2.5 and so on.

What are good "ratios" for squat, deadlift, barbell row and military press?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

1:1?
    6'2 206

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    IMO, I don't see a point in looking at ratios. Just aim to lift big, and then lift big.
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 03-03-2005 at 06:25 PM.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes
    IMO, I don't see a point in looking at ratios. Just aim to lift big, and then lift big.
    this way you have a nice balance of strength throughout your body. If you just aim to lift big regardless, then it seems their is lack of direction. I mean it's good to get stronger as times goes by and thus, results occur. But it's something to think about.

huh?
    Last edited by Ares; 03-03-2005 at 06:33 PM.
    6'2 206

Quote Originally Posted by Ares
    huh?
    Agreed. Shaolin, can you maybe rephrase your post? I didn't understand it either.
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 03-03-2005 at 06:36 PM.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

give or take:

Bench 1.5xbw
    Squat 2xbw
    deadlift 2.5xbw
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Stagg
    give or take:

Bench 1.5xbw
    Squat 2xbw
    deadlift 2.5xbw
    Anyone who could do those lifts, regardless of bodyweight, would be strong in my opinion. Leg press on the other hand, minimum 15 X BW for it to be even remotely impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMachine
    Anyone who could do those lifts, regardless of bodyweight, would be strong in my opinion. Leg press on the other hand, minimum 15 X BW for it to be even remotely impressive.
    your crazy! 15 x BW! I would have to leg press 2550!

Quote Originally Posted by Maddawg
    your crazy! 15 x BW! I would have to leg press 2550!
    That was a joke. The leg press is such a circus lift someone could tell me they leg pressed 300000lbs and I wouldn't really be impressed. At one point I could leg press 12 plates per side for sets of 15 and you know what? My squat still stunk. Leg press is ok for beginners but it won't take you very far.
    I am often asked by people at the gym "How do I lose fat from my tummy so my abs will show"
    My standard answer: "Get drunk and find yourself a sharp knife"

Bodyweight: 205lbs
    400lb Bench
    350lb Incline Bench
    605lb Deadlift
    285lb Push Press

That was a joke. The leg press is such a circus lift someone could tell me they leg pressed 300000lbs and I wouldn't really be impressed. At one point I could leg press 12 plates per side for sets of 15 and you know what? My squat still stunk. Leg press is ok for beginners but it won't take you very far.
    True dat. Squats are much better.
    Lifting Journal

Banned
    Chances are your form was abysmal then. Clearly whichever of the 2 lifts you perform more often you will be "better" at, but assuming you're doing both in your routine there should be a definite correlation.

For the record, I don't squat. I only do leg press and my legs are not lacking.

give or take:

Bench 1.5xbw
    Squat 2xbw
    deadlift 2.5xbw
    Is it bad for me to weigh 170 and only bench 150? To that thing above it says i should be benching 255. Im not really that fat eather. With a shirt on you cant really tell. lol What should a normal 15 year old bench? am i normal?

Quote Originally Posted by Maddawg
    Is it bad for me to weigh 170 and only bench 150? To that thing above it says i should be benching 255. Im not really that fat eather. With a shirt on you cant really tell. lol What should a normal 15 year old bench? am i normal?
    Don't worry. I weigh 150 and can probably only max about 130. It's not that you're not normal. Just keep lifting and keep eating, and try to make those gains.
    Lifting Journal

give or take:

Bench 1.5xbw
    Squat 2xbw
    deadlift 2.5xbw
    I would agree that these numbers are very respectable. Not that someone is weak if they can't put up those numbers at all, though. But, regardless of body weight, that just makes me say "Damn, that guy's a beast."
    bests:
    bp 335x1 (unequipped), sq 430x5 belt, dl 475x1 sumo (unequipped)
    ----------------------------
    Cut: Start/250 Current/247
    Abs or bust: my journal
    ollld pics

Banned
    Man gun for 2X bodyweight ratio on ur bench and you get some serious respect in the gym...I currently have like 1.6-1.7 times my body weight on the bench...

I don't respect anyone who can bench more than they can squat, unless they are missing one or more legs.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

MACHINE
    Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    I don't respect anyone who can bench more than they can squat, unless they are missing one or more legs.
    lmao, I just found the point of reference there...
    "He's the best damn rollerskater that ever lived...probably in the whole town" - Chris Pontius

If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with.

5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560

To a certain degree I agree with ya Mix. I mean I'd respect them as a good bencher, but as a serious lifter, they wouldn't garner the respect that a well balanced lifter would.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

I'm not talking about equipped PLers or professionals. They can do whatever they want. If Gene Rychlak (sp?) can bench more than he squats, who cares? I'm definately taking about us nomal lifters.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Wannabebig Member
    as long as you consider yourself strong, thats all that matters IMO.

The ideal max lift to body weight ratio is actually a very simple equation -- established in ancient Greece by the Greco Roman wrestler Claudisious Maravendious -- that takes into account two factors:

Your Weight (y)
    The Weight of the Guy Who Wants to Kick Your A$$ (y)

Now:
    If x > y, then it is more likely than not (assuming both you and your opponent work out and can bench at least your own respective body weights) that you are at your IMLTBW ratio (ideal max lift to body weight) and can be considered capably strong.

If, however, x < y, then it is likely that your are below the IMLTBW ratio and need to increase the poundages of your lifts prior to any altercation with the individual associated with the variable y. The reason for this is that should indiviudal y sit on you during said altercation, you would have no chance of pressing him or her off of you. (Interestingly enough, this formula also applies for certain sexual positions where the female is "on top" and the man is on the bottom. Hence the addage: If you can't press her, don't undress her.)

Quote Originally Posted by Ugly Genius
    The ideal max lift to body weight ratio is actually a very simple equation -- established in ancient Greece by the Greco Roman wrestler Claudisious Maravendious -- that takes into account two factors:

Your Weight (y)
    The Weight of the Guy Who Wants to Kick Your A$$ (y)

Now:
    If x > y, then it is more likely than not (assuming both you and your opponent work out and can bench at least your own respective body weights) that you are at your IMLTBW ratio (ideal max lift to body weight) and can be considered capably strong.

If, however, x < y, then it is likely that your are below the IMLTBW ratio and need to increase the poundages of your lifts prior to any altercation with the individual associated with the variable y. The reason for this is that should indiviudal y sit on you during said altercation, you would have no chance of pressing him or her off of you. (Interestingly enough, this formula also applies for certain sexual positions where the female is "on top" and the man is on the bottom. Hence the addage: If you can't press her, don't undress her.)
    Uhm...what is 'x' ? Just some random variable?
    Lifting Journal

wow, now I'll go stick my head in boiling water.

How did the analogy of bodyweight:strength turn into a fight sequence?
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

I think, your weight is supposed to represent x.. it's a typo..

I dunno....
    Last edited by JSully; 03-04-2005 at 04:52 PM.
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t