The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I think that if you can lift your body weight then that impressive enough. There are people that I know that cant move there own body weight. I set my goal to 315 and I have hit it now I am tring to go higher. I am never satisfied. I weigh 224 pounds now, if I weighed around 170-180 that would be way more impressive.
    NOW
    Age - 25 Weight - 275 Height - 6'4" BF% - to high

Bench Press: 370LBS 11/13/06
    Squat: 135 X 6 11/7/06 (bad back, just working on form)
    Deadlift: 400LBS 11/10/06

The other thing is doing it with good form and not bouncing or raising your arse up in the air. Then if you train naturally its probably more difficult.
    Remember, to get big, you have to get strong. The two are interconnected. Lift heavy, work hard, and size will come. Like night follows day. It works. Arnold
    Do work son. Big Black (Rob and Big)

Quote Originally Posted by thetopdog
    It's true though, it's really not that difficult if you lift on a consistent basis. I did it after a little more than 1.5 years of lifting, and I'm a naturally skinny guy that started out with a 115lb max bench, and I dont' even train for strength, I'm more of a bodybuilder. I would imagine that people who are natrually stocky could get to that milestone faster than I did
    It may be true for you, however your own experience does not account for the general population who lift weights.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Quote Originally Posted by Maki Riddington
    It may be true for you, however your own experience does not account for the general population who lift weights.
    I am aware that you can't take one example and try to apply it to the general population, but I did start out weaker than most which should account for something.

And I'm 99% sure that the vast majority of the general population that lifts weights can make the same or even better progress than I did, IF they do it on a consistent basis

The Big Wang
    315 is tough...
    Weight: 175
    Height: 5'11"
    Max Bench: 300 pounds
    Six pack: Yes

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=55173
    ^^Tis I.

I am aware that you can't take one example and try to apply it to the general population
    And I'm 99% sure that the vast majority of the general population that lifts weights can make the same or even better progress than I did, IF they do it on a consistent basis
    How? By your own experience?
    Maki Fit Blog

"Soli Deo Gloria"

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

I am aware that you can't take one example and try to apply it to the general population, but I did start out weaker than most which should account for something.

Starting out at 115lb bench press and a year and a half later benching 315 is by no means normal at all. In fact, that's probably the most outstanding progress on bench I've ever seen. I started out benching 140lbs and 5 years later and I still can't quite bench 315, and I've put on about 55lbs since then.

Been benching two years, no where near 315. Put on over 30 pounds.

You're claiming to have put 200 pounds onto your bench press in a year in a half? I'm with Hahn -- that's no where near what I would say the general population can do. And I stand with my original assessment that most people will never bench 315.

Put on over 30lbs refers to bodyweight, not bench weight.

Wannabebig Member
    I'm just a vain mofo..I can care less if i can only bench 100 as long as I look big and ripped..but too bad it doesnt work that way.

As long as ur progressing and staying consistent, keepin the morale up and positive, its good progress IMO. No one really looks what the others doin at my gym. It's just chills to be in company and get ur iron on.

Wannabebig Member
    I also think that if you see it a lot it doesn't impress you as much as the first time. Before going to my University gym, I went to Gold's where there was a lot of big guys. A lot of them were doing 315 for reps w/ strict form, so when I see it now it doesn't impress me as much anymore like the first time I've seen it.

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    How can you say that if you've never benched the weight? What experience are you basing this statement off of?
    Whether or not I have benched the weight does not matter, since I am basing my statement off of the regular population. 315 is a very respectable lift, however you will rarely find someone who has trained hard and trained smart for over a decade who cannot bench this weight. If you can show me otherwise, please do.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

Banned
    :withstupi

Quote Originally Posted by HahnB
    Starting out at 115lb bench press and a year and a half later benching 315 is by no means normal at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Crippler
    Whether or not I have benched the weight does not matter, since I am basing my statement off of the regular population. 315 is a very respectable lift, however you will rarely find someone who has trained hard and trained smart for over a decade who cannot bench this weight. If you can show me otherwise, please do.
    Obviously no one can "show" you, much like you can't "show" us that your statement is true. I don't think you need much more evidence than the fact that if you look around a gym on a daily basis, there's only a handful of guys benching 315 with good form.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Vido
    :
    Obviously no one can "show" you, much like you can't "show" us that your statement is true. I don't think you need much more evidence than the fact that if you look around a gym on a daily basis, there's only a handful of guys benching 315 with good form.

I'm not sure why anyone would choose to argue that 315 is a common bench or easily attainable by all people. I'd wager if you're benching 315 with good form you're in the top 20-25% of any gym as far as strength goes at any given time. It's pretty unrealistic to think that's a common lift by any means.

*Edit - Just to clarify. That estimate is really conservative. I doubt at your average gym (24 fitness, Bally's, etc.) 1 in 10 lifters could manage to put up 315 with good form.
    Last edited by Dirt; 03-05-2005 at 08:51 PM.

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    I said that training HARD, and training SMART, with patience would ensure a 315 bench in almost all trainees, at some time or another. I doubt these people in the gym trained hard and smart for a strong amount of time.

Whatever though, doesn't matter. 315 is still ace!
    Last edited by Canadian Crippler; 03-05-2005 at 08:50 PM.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

Banned
    I said that training HARD, and training SMART, with patience would ensure a 315 bench in almost all trainees, at some time or another. I doubt these people in the gym trained hard and smart for a strong amount of time.
    My comment wasn't specifically directed at you, but I disagree with your statement anyway. The vast majority of people regardless of how hard or smart they train will ever reach a 315 bench with good form. There are so many other factors you'd have to include in that, that making the statement with those factors would be absurd.

I'm with CC. He never said its a common lift... He said that most people who really strive for it and give it their ALL can attain it. And about the percentages, you have probably about 40% who come in there (in my gym anyway) who has no idea what they're doing. CC never said it's an easy accomplishment for these people or anyone for that matter. I don't know what the arguement is really.

I beleave anyone can reach 315 bench if they put forth 100% dedication in thier training and diet. It will take time but it is very acheivable. Most people wont reach that weight because they dont work out consitantly or eat properly or drink and party to much. They average person in a gym probely wont reach it because he lacks the dedication needed.
    NOW
    Age - 25 Weight - 275 Height - 6'4" BF% - to high

Bench Press: 370LBS 11/13/06
    Squat: 135 X 6 11/7/06 (bad back, just working on form)
    Deadlift: 400LBS 11/10/06

Ive never benched 315 but I agree with Canadian Crippler. I think most men have the potential for a 315lb bench in their lifetime. They just don't know how to train or lack the dedication.

I bet Dave Tate and Louie Simmons could take almost any skinny dweeb thats never lifted before and coach him into a 315lb bencher. As long as he gave 100% effort, and trained and ate, how and when they said.

How? By your own experience?
    Well I figured that the chances that I'm some kind of genetic freak are much lower than the chances that I have normal genetics, especailly since I wasn't naturally that strong to begin with. Plus I when I started working out, a few of my friends made equal or better progress, they just didn't stick with it, whereas I did. Maybe I'm just a good bench presser, who knows

I was consistent with it, but not THAT consistent, I took breaks for weeks at a time on occasion (for exams and stuff like that), I almost never got enough sleep, and I don't lift for strength (no boards, shirts, no special powerlifting form, etc.), I bench to get a big chest, not a big bench

So yeah, it is based on my experience, but it's also based on the fact that I'm almost certain my experience is normal for someone who's relatively consistent with their diet and training. Or maybe I am just some kind of freak :evillaugh

To be honest, when I hit the 315 my form wasn't the greatest. I didn't bounce and I did touch the bar to my chest, but my back was arched a lot and my ass may have left the seat. It took me from Feb 2003 till November 2004 to do it, I was all natural. I just started my first cycle last week so we'll see how fast 405 comes along now :evillaugh
    Last edited by thetopdog; 03-05-2005 at 10:40 PM.

So yeah, it is based on my experience, but it's also based on the fact that I'm almost certain my experience is normal for someone who's relatively consistent with their diet and training. Or maybe I am just some kind of freak :evillaugh
    Based on the fact that your almost certain? That doesn't make sense my friend. I can understand if you want to make a wide assumption, but other then basing your opinion off of your own experience, you don't have much to go with when it comes to making such a strong statement.
    Maki Fit Blog

"Soli Deo Gloria"

The Art of Judo

The regular population do not train hard nor are they knowledgable. We are a minority. So to say they could if they posessed the smarts and dedication is a big what if.

What you are saying in another way is this. If you train hard, eat enough, get the right amount of rest and take the right supplements you can be 210 pounds at 10% bodyfat.
    Maki Fit Blog

"Soli Deo Gloria"

The Art of Judo

My bench was no more than 120 back in September, and it's right at about 200 now. I fully expect to be near 300 by the end of the summer. My training partner will probably get there before me. Then again, we're both in the 250lb neighborhood, and naturally big in frame, so maybe that's it.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

315 is kick ass if you ask me. I am a small guy compared to the monsters on this forum. but 315, I consider that stong as hell. I am still trying to break the 200 pound club.
    I heard two guy talking in the locker room
    guy1: man i dont know what to do, i just lift whatever looks cool.
    guy2: ya thats what everyone does here, no one really has a plan.

Fools....

315 hmmm....I've forgoten what that felt like*just kidding*
    really though, I think 315 is very atainable if everything is done right ie.diet,training,rest,supplemnts..etc. by no means is this an over night goal but with time and patience it can be achieved .when I started training 10yrs ago it took me 3yrs to hit.now I want 600lbs.Anyway no matter how you look at it 315 is boss.
    Height:6'
    Weight:280lbs off season, 240lbs on season
    max bench 540,deadlift 650,squat 600
    obstacles are things you see when you take your eye off your goal